swagbot123

T8 premium Tanks

Hi guys I am pretty low on credits right now with only about 400k and I was wondering which t8 premium would be right for me. I like tanks with big punchy guns and decent armor. Could you guys give me your opinion? Thanks!

IS6

More context would be nice.  What tank lines do you already have on the go? 

Edit- sorry I did not notice that this was posted in the Murica subforum.

Wouldn't the only option for America be the T34

Well since this is in the subforum for American tanks, your options are T34 or Super Pershing.

Super P gets preferential matchmaking while the T34 doesn't. Not meeting tier 10s is a BIG plus.

Super P has frontal armour which is impervious to bad players who don't know the weak spot. T34 has a decent turret, but bad hull.

Super P has less penetration on the AP, so you'll be shooting some APCR (needed for IS3's, IS6's, tier 9s, etc) but you'll still make a good profit. Some games where I've had to fire nothing but APCR has still given me a profit because you can do so much damage with it. 

Its not by much, but I believe the Super P also has the edge in mobility. Its not fast, and you have to play it more as a heavy because you usually won't be able to keep up with the pace of the battle in areas of the map for meds. For example, I would take it to the town on Highway, rather than the north west corner, and brawl against heavies where I'm able to keep the frontal armour (armour is bad everywhere else) to the enemy.

I'd say Super P. You'll have games where the armour works wonders and you'll have some where you don't bounce a thing but I'd take it any day over the T34.

Other good tier 8 prems to consider: T-34-3 (175 pen/390 alpha gun, preferential mm, can be tricky to use) and IS6 (IS gun, super troll armour, preferential mm)

Posted in the America subsection, but if I assume you would look at other nations as well I would go like this.

For credits only:
JT88 (not sure if still available) -> Lowe -> CDC -> T34 ->  FCM/STA2 -> KV5 -> 112/IS6/WZ111/SP/...
Last group can make a buttload of credits too, but normally you will be shooting a lot more prem, cutting into your profit

For fun (only included tanks I play):
IS6/SP -> FCM -> anything -> really anything -> don't care which tanks -> dead last option -> T34

If you are looking into other tiers as well, I truly enjoy the Type64.  Which can make a HUGE amount of credits in SH.  Battles there last around 3-4 minutes and you come away with +50k credits every game.

CDC is very high skill level for someone with a KV-5 and a T28 at tier 8.

Seriously I understand credits run low (I am facing similar issues... with a IS-7 and T-44 unlocked and looking at unlocking the E100 and Jagdpanther 2 (I have the AMX 30 1re unlocked but no crew anyway so not buying)... but tier 8's.. you may want to wait a bit more and play a bit more comfy 6's and 7's.

That will also help you get crews that you can run in your prems... credits and crew training is what prems are for after all.

Of the currently available premiums, the German T-25 or the Japanese Chi-Nu Kai are easily the best options.  Both are pretty cheap, have respectable AP penetration and make good net credits.  I personally prefer the T-25, but either is a viable choice.

Edit:  I would recommend against a tier 8 premium right now.  You are currently struggling in your tier 7 and few tier 8 tanks, and the premium tanks at this tier are not more forgiving (generally).  If you absolutely positively must have one, I would suggest either the T34 (punchiest gun, decent armor when hulldown) or the IS-6 (good armor, good alpha, acceptable pen with APCR).

On 11/11/2015, 8:08:12, Duckwah said:

IS6

More context would be nice.  What tank lines do you already have on the go? 

Edit- sorry I did not notice that this was posted in the Murica subforum.

Wouldn't the only option for America be the T34

I actually was either thinking of either the t34 or the fcm 50t. Not sure because of t34s mm and fcms alpha/armor

I know that I am pretty bad(I mean really bad) but I got the kv 220 bundle as a collectible and I have a lot of gold left over, about 6k. So I'm just getting the premium since I had some gold lying around and I need a credit maker.

The best idea for premium tanks are lines you are either working on or planning to. That way you have a good crew early. That being said, if you are just looking for a higher tier than 5, that makes good credits and easy to play, the su122-44 just needs you to pick a flank and just go like the jag 88, but faster. As a bonus, you can always retrain them to a Russian medium crew later on.

The T-34 you need to find a hull down spot or you are toast and the cdc and FCM are great tanks but require lots of driver input on positioning and when to run, very hard if not impossible for a new player.

6 hours ago, swagbot123 said:

I actually was either thinking of either the t34 or the fcm 50t. Not sure because of t34s mm and fcms alpha/armor

I know that I am pretty bad(I mean really bad) but I got the kv 220 bundle as a collectible and I have a lot of gold left over, about 6k. So I'm just getting the premium since I had some gold lying around and I need a credit maker.

I can sympathize with that. I got my first tier 8 premium on a good discount... and left it unplayed until I had tier 8's and a crew for it for months.
Think of what lines you want to go though... 

If you have no tier 8 at all though and just want one for credit grinding now, the no brainer is to get the IS-6 or Super P. Both have already been involved in giveaways in the past and are thus unlikely to repeat, both are shamelessly OP, and both have sheltered MM which means they will be pulled from the store in the future.

For the most part, however, the best 8 to buy is now none, because if they run free tank grinds you now only get credits instead of gold. Buy something now and a year later you might have been able to get it for free anyway with no compensation worth mentioning. Thus in typical WG fashion by trying to squeeze money out of the player base they've made spending money a losing proposition. At least it made my decisions simple.

On 14.11.2015, 00:19:20, swagbot123 said:

Thanks guys I think i am going to get the fcm 50t. Seem like a nice tank with prefferential mm.

Wrong choice at least in your case.:facepalm:

Here is why:

• You are new to WoT, a quick glance over your stats proves that you have no clue how to handle soft tanks - your stats in scouts and meds are abysmal. And that isn't meant as an offence - it's fairly normal for a beginner. In fact, I wasn't any better when I had 4.5k games (actually I was worse).
  • That makes the FCM unsuitable for you: Its armour is mediocre and the alpha low. This tank takes skill to play well.

What you want instead is a forgiving pubstomper:

• You want something with solid armor so that you don't get killed instantly if you screw up and over-expose.
  • Secondly, you want preferential MM. Don't buy tier VIII premiums without it. Just don't! Not seeing tier X is a much bigger advantage than any other perk other tier VIII premium tanks could offer.
  • This advice makes also sense regarding your current stats: The tanks in which you perform best at the moment are either heavily armoured tanks (KV-220) or campy TDs (no surprise since any monkey can sit in base and get the 3-4 shots off required for yellow stats - again no offence, it's all part of learning the game).
  • This leaves exactly two tanks between which you should choose: The Super Pershing or the IS-6. Theoretically, the T-34-3 and the 112 are options as well but they are inferior to the former two.

Why the Super Pershing or the IS-6?

• Pref MM
  • Great armour that is very easy to use. Super Pershing just keep your front to the enemy and wiggle a bit and shit will bounce. In the IS-6 you only need to know a bit how to angle and you are good.
  • Both have mediocre guns but the AP is workable and what it can't pen the APCR usually can (with the excpetion of a handful of tier IX).
  • The SP also has great gun depression which makes it very comfortable to play when working ridgelines.
  • These two tanks are as newbie friendly as it gets. They are forgiving to play and the slow speed - while a disadvantage late in the game-  keeps you from yoloing too hard early (having too much speed tends to lead new players to go in way too far ...).

Well to be honest -> I saw myself in that description by @Gharirey . Bad at meds as well. Still the FCM 50t pooooooops credits, right behind the JT88 for me. I also used it for crew training (actually saved a loader with BIA for that)... (low skill player means crew skills make quite an impact). 

IS-6 is more easy mode, that is true though. [please don't mention the CDC] 

Disclosure: I'm a fairly new player with only 2K battles. Please consider this post within that context. 

I realize OP has made their decision, but I wanted to mention that the Mutz (German) and Patton KR (American) have been great tanks for me to generate credits and train crews or build XP to convert to free via Gold, if I need it to unlock modules on a stock tank. 

I bought the KR for 3 reasons. I need to train American Crews, I wanted something to generate credits and because it's the best SnapShotting tank that I've played so far. I do fairly well in heavies, but snapshotting mediums are my preference.  

Another reason I like the Patton KR is that I do face T10 tanks. I subscribe to the theory that getting one's arse kicked by better players is a great way to learn how they do it and emulate. The playstyle at the top tiers is substantially different. I've played in the lower tiers, mastering the mechanics. I'm not a master, but I do tictacs reasonably well. I sidescrape, I automatically angle, I understand the view range mechanic, hull down, etc. etc. Now, I have a T32 (unlocked last weekend) and the KR that I use to learn the higher tiers. Ideally, when I unlock the M103 and the T110E5 (first T10), I'll already be familiar with the higher level of play at the top tiers. 

Just some input if anyone is looking for a T8 Prem medium that's good firing on the move, is reasonably fast and overall it's been a fun tank to play, even for someone with 2K battles.. :)

7 hours ago, Golem501 said:

Patton KR is a special tank that's not always available though.

For me it is.. Its the only Prem tank I actually purchased. It's been a great deal of fun and I'm able to generate good credits with it, so I picked it up. 

I thought this thread about about which Prem tank to purchase. 

If you need credits, you should be grinding the KR and Mutz rentals right now while you can.  I've made millions over the past couple of weeks with these.  And the Mutz package deal is pretty tempting.

58 minutes ago, SonicAnatidae said:

For me it is.. Its the only Prem tank I actually purchased. It's been a great deal of fun and I'm able to generate good credits with it, so I picked it up. 

I thought this thread about about which Prem tank to purchase. 

I meant you can not always purchase it. I know NA has rentals etc. and may have this special extended on sale but it will go and "normally" this tank like the Berlin tanks, like the KV-5 and some others will only be available for money in the shop, not for gold in game and only during special events... you know World War 2 ending, Battle for Stalingrad won, Berlin conquered by STRONK Sovjet forces, Japanese surrender, Wargaming winning an award, Wargaming anniversery, Christmas specials, Summer specials, Serb is in a good mood because his wife didn't catch him cheating this week... stuff like that.... once or twice a month.