Jump to content
CraBeatOff

I'm not dead

Recommended Posts

Just been very very busy since the middle of the summer. Work, kids, you know grown up stuff (or maybe you don't know, but have read about it on the internet or seen it on TV or in movies). 

And yes, I know this is a shitty thread. Don't you think I've earned a few by now?

Ask me about grown up things? Career development thoughts? Spousal choices? Family planning? Strength training? Or tanks? Or better yet, don't even reply to this shitty thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my outside observer standpoint, there's no possible way kids are worth the hassle.  In fact, I think they carry a mind altering virus that forces parents to not only tolerate them, but makes parents insanely proud of the most insignificant things.

Is there some justification for offspring, other than continuation of the species?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deusmortis said:

From my outside observer standpoint, there's no possible way kids are worth the hassle.  In fact, I think they carry a mind altering virus that forces parents to not only tolerate them, but makes parents insanely proud of the most insignificant things.

Is there some justification for offspring, other than continuation of the species?

The only one I can come up with, you suck as a person and lack accomplishment so you hope that your kid can succeed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back you sonuvabitch you

I too would like to know what having kids is like/  if its worth it, as a kid myself, I don't understand the want to have offspring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trobs said:

The only one I can come up with, you suck as a person and lack accomplishment so you hope that your kid can succeed.

 

Shots fired... lol

Kids are awesome as you get older. Knowing there's something more than your shitty job and shitty life to look forward to/hope for.... Sorry if I sound cynical but kids are about the closest thing to honest hope in adult society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, neokai said:

How do you juggle being gud@tanks while having a life? Every pubbie knows that if you are gud@tanks you are bad@lyfe.

You obviously have the accept what the pubbies speak as the truth. They furiously type out their life accomplishments to me, so I know they're superior at all aspects of being human beings except for: emotional control, use of free time, effective learning of combat systems, in-game networking, and research of mechanics. 

On a more serious note, its basically just about leveraging your time with proper planning and knowing the facts, plus knowing your weaknesses. Figure out what you're naturally good at which is also valuable in the workforce. Get a job doing that, and tailor moves and responsibilities to your skills, while working on weaknesses. Learn how to study in a quality manner, where shorter (20-120 minutes) sessions performed with regularity yield better results than cramming, procrastinating or marathoning. What works for studying parameter-wise (quality, regularity) also works for exercise. I'm hardly a self help guru, but there's lots of books and articles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Deusmortis said:

From my outside observer standpoint, there's no possible way kids are worth the hassle.  In fact, I think they carry a mind altering virus that forces parents to not only tolerate them, but makes parents insanely proud of the most insignificant things.

Is there some justification for offspring, other than continuation of the species?

You obviously don't understand how tremendous an achievement it is when they finally stop shitting themselves. It's definitely worthy of applause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, neokai said:

Shots fired... lol

Kids are awesome as you get older. Knowing there's something more than your shitty job and shitty life to look forward to/hope for.... Sorry if I sound cynical but kids are about the closest thing to honest hope in adult society.

That's why I do my best to avoid having a shitty job or life. I'm not trying to say don't have kids, but I know more than a few people who simply replace their lives with their kids. That sounds awful to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Trobs said:

I recently got a vasectomy and have no kids. Does this hurt my chances to have a baby?

Welcome back Crab <3

Yea, but they aren't nil. Sometimes it doesn't take. Technically is reversible. IVF is black magic. 

5 minutes ago, Deusmortis said:

From my outside observer standpoint, there's no possible way kids are worth the hassle.  In fact, I think they carry a mind altering virus that forces parents to not only tolerate them, but makes parents insanely proud of the most insignificant things.

Is there some justification for offspring, other than continuation of the species?

Its a perspective thing. Like a "what do you want to do here with your time alive?". WoT is enjoyable, and thus worth the hassle, at least for some, some of the time. Kids are the same. Much of the time spent with them is very enjoyable, very very enjoyable. Plus you can teach them to love the things you love and hate the things you hate.

3 minutes ago, Trobs said:

The only one I can come up with, you suck as a person and lack accomplishment so you hope that your kid can succeed.

 

That's a pretty cynical look at it. I'm a fairly awesome person, from a family and married into a family of generally awesome and successful people, and the only way to increase the world quotient is to make more of us. 

2 minutes ago, Joyrider216 said:

Welcome back you sonuvabitch you

I too would like to know what having kids is like/  if its worth it, as a kid myself, I don't understand the want to have offspring.

Well, I don't have any teenagers yet (except for half of BULBA?). As a teen myself I really enjoyed spending time with and taking care of my younger cousins. I had two who lived near me, the summer I was 15, and I watched them 2 days a week for 6+ hours, and often 1 weekend night as well. They were 3 and under-1 at the time, right around the age my kids just passed. I really had a good time with them and enjoyed the responsibility and interaction. While it took me another 14 years beyond that to actually be ready to have my own, I was pretty sure I wanted kids from that point. 

2 minutes ago, rmw00 said:

One reason:  my oldest can now platoon with me.

I'm not there yet, but my oldest and I can do other fun things. She's actually really good company. Like we went camping this summer and had a great time. Taught her to put up the tent and build a fire. We hiked together. Made campfire food and s'mores and then I played her the guitar under the stars. Great times. 

1 minute ago, neokai said:

Shots fired... lol

Kids are awesome as you get older. Knowing there's something more than your shitty job and shitty life to look forward to/hope for.... Sorry if I sound cynical but kids are about the closest thing to honest hope in adult society.

While I don't resonate with the former, the bolded part, I absolutely agree with. 

5 minutes ago, Trobs said:

That's why I do my best to avoid having a shitty job or life. I'm not trying to say don't have kids, but I know more than a few people who simply replace their lives with their kids. That sounds awful to me.

Same. But yea, replacing any hope of your own success with kids seems like just adding fuel to a fire. Its adding a LOT of responsibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Trobs said:

That's why I do my best to avoid having a shitty job or life. I'm not trying to say don't have kids, but I know more than a few people who simply replace their lives with their kids. That sounds awful to me.

Do you think that lacking the desire to procreate is gained through nature or nurture? In other words, do you think that your upbringing and education have lead you not to want kids for some list of reasons, or is there something in your physical makeup that shouldn't continue in the gene pool? For example, I have a few friends that have chosen not to have children because of a history of mental illness in their family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Trobs said:

That's why I do my best to avoid having a shitty job or life. I'm not trying to say don't have kids, but I know more than a few people who simply replace their lives with their kids. That sounds awful to me.

I've seen that as well.  Seen family members completely alter their identities.  They are no longer "person", they are "That person's mother/father"

Certainly does not always happen.  And I can see the appeal of adult children... I just couldn't imagine willingly accepting years of suffering to get them to that stage.  Might just be an extension of my selfishness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deusmortis said:

I've seen that as well.  Seen family members completely alter their identities.  They are no longer "person", they are "That person's mother/father"

Yea, I think thats nonsense but I've seen it happen also. Definitely something my wife and I have discussed and actively rejected (not that either of us actually trend towards that type). We've always maintained the perspective that while kids should be challenged by what is appropriate for them to handle, its ultimately an adult world, and withdrawing from our adult lives from that world to live in a kid's world is nonsense. Obviously we have to shift the use of our time and our priorities to some degree, but a full abandonment of our selves is foolish. Every WoT game I have played and post I have made has been well after the birth of my older child, for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kids are awesome. And I only say that because I have a shitty job, no money, no education, live in a run-down shack, and drive a beater of a car.

Well, one of those is true, at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sr360 said:

Kids are awesome. And I only say that because I have a shitty job, no money, no education, live in a run-down shack, and drive a beater of a car.

Well, one of those is true, at least

What kind of car do you drive? I love my 2004 Tacoma even though my wife tries to sell it behind my back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, monjardin said:

LOL. We're in the same boat.

We're eventually going to upgrade the Accord, but I like to buy my cars outright, and the Accord has been paid for since I bought it used 6 years ago, and as long as it keeps running, it's good enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Deusmortis said:

Maybe I'm extra bitter today, since I'm working in an ER in close proximity to a screaming baby...

The last time I was in the ER (July!) I simply felt bad for the kids there. Most of them were there for basic stuff, tummy aches, ear infections, and it was a testament to the poor care of their parents or caretakers. Its not the baby's fault its screaming in the ER. Its because either the kid is truly sick and the caretakers have no better options (bad societal design to have ERs be the only place of last refuge) or else the caretaker has no where else to leave the kid while escorting someone else to the ER.

But the screaming IS hard to endure. Consider that also by design of thousands of years of evolution. Its supposed to be a sound that gets our attention, puts us on edge, and is hard to block out. I can stomp through our apartment, scratching my ass, tripping on toys and cursing and my wife will sleep right through it. If our little one so much as chirps...she BOLTS awake. Its uncanny. 

Perhaps these rationalizations can help your tolerance of small humans?

5 minutes ago, sr360 said:

Kids are awesome. And I only say that because I have a shitty job, no money, no education, live in a run-down shack, and drive a beater of a car.

Well, one of those is true, at least

You have a weird definition of a beater car. 

(anyone want to buy a 1995 Civic with 203k  miles and a broken master cylinder?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CraBeatOff said:

The last time I was in the ER (July!) I simply felt bad for the kids there. Most of them were there for basic stuff, tummy aches, ear infections, and it was a testament to the poor care of their parents or caretakers. Its not the baby's fault its screaming in the ER. Its because either the kid is truly sick and the caretakers have no better options (bad societal design to have ERs be the only place of last refuge) or else the caretaker has no where else to leave the kid while escorting someone else to the ER.

But the screaming IS hard to endure. Consider that also by design of thousands of years of evolution. Its supposed to be a sound that gets our attention, puts us on edge, and is hard to block out. I can stomp through our apartment, scratching my ass, tripping on toys and cursing and my wife will sleep right through it. If our little one so much as chirps...she BOLTS awake. Its uncanny. 

Perhaps these rationalizations can help your tolerance of small humans?

You have a weird definition of a beater car. 

1. Our pediatric group is amazing. It is their mission to keep all kids out of the ER. Between on-call MD and after-hours clinic they triage you so that you don't have to go to the ER. And we're lucky enough to have a separate pediatric ER, detached from the zoo that is the main ER (complete with its level 1 trauma center). However, you nailed it. The kids in the ER are the ones whom the on-call MD deemed sick enough to be seen STAT, or else they don't have that amazing pediatric medicine support.

2, My car is a beater considering the garage it is parked in, which boasts Porsches, Mercs, BMWs, the occasional Tesla, and a metric ton of SUVs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, monjardin said:

Do you think that lacking the desire to procreate is gained through nature or nurture? In other words, do you think that your upbringing and education have lead you not to want kids for some list of reasons, or is there something in your physical makeup that shouldn't continue in the gene pool? For example, I have a few friends that have chosen not to have children because of a history of mental illness in their family.

I was brought up in a strong family and I had the desire for kids for a while. As I got older I started the realize the commitment of time and money kids involve. The stress they put on parents is high and there is no guarantee you end up with a decent kid. My sister for example is a completely fuck up while my brothers are all normal stable people. As for genetics, my family has a history of problems but I've never shown any of them.

In all honestly, I am the perfect candidate to have children. Financially stable, educated, solid relationship and very healthy. But the desire left me a long time ago.

Plus, I fucking hate babies. Crying bags of poop.

6 minutes ago, CraBeatOff said:

Yea, I think thats nonsense but I've seen it happen also. Definitely something my wife and I have discussed and actively rejected (not that either of us actually trend towards that type). We've always maintained the perspective that while kids should be challenged by what is appropriate for them to handle, its ultimately an adult world, and withdrawing from our adult lives from that world to live in a kid's world is nonsense. Obviously we have to shift the use of our time and our priorities to some degree, but a full abandonment of our selves is foolish. Every WoT game I have played and post I have made has been well after the birth of my older child, for example. 

I would expect nothing less from you Crab! Shifting priorities to your kid is expected, but you should always still have time for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...