BiggieD61

A lot of the tech tree modules need some review ....

I am sure the rest of you have experienced this in other lines, but the torp upgrade in the Hatsuhara is particularly egregious.  They want 16,000 xp and 1,300,000 credits to increase the speed from 59 knots to 62 knots and the damage from 16,267 to 17,233.  Those are 5% and 6% increases, neither of which greatly improve the ability of the ship to do damage with them.  These are also the stock torp for the Fubuki, which you get as part of the research cost for that ship.  The research cost of the Fubuki is 115,000 - so the 16k represents 14% of the total research cost of that ship, the 1.3 million is 14.5% of the total cost of the Fubuki.  Why the hell would anyone bother researching and buying those torps with that kind of payoff?

Why not? You have the xp much faster than the credits anyway.

Xp is available in abundance. Why waste 1.3 million credits, yes that's a good question. But the xp does not matter at all.

13 minutes ago, Dead_Baron said:

Isn't it the Omaha type C hull that is worse than the B?  400k to lose guns, okay.

You trade 2 guns and 2 torp launchers for additional AA. It's arguable whether the additional AA upgrade is worth it, and it totally depends on which tier you end up in. If you are top tier in a game, B hull is flat out better; if you are bottom tier C hull is situationally better, especially if you see CVs often. 

1 hour ago, Dead_Baron said:

Isn't it the Omaha type C hull that is worse than the B?  400k to lose guns, okay.

Omaha C hull is better. You get something like 14.5 km range with C hull and fire control.

14 hours ago, PrivateBert said:

Why not? You have the xp much faster than the credits anyway.

Xp is available in abundance. Why waste 1.3 million credits, yes that's a good question. But the xp does not matter at all.

My point was that in this case, you don't need to research the torps to get to the Fubuki, it's not an "in-line" research item.  If you are going to give me something extra to research, it should be a value added item - not the stock torp from the next tier DD that is almost identical to what you already have.  It's a game design/balance point - don't give me pointless shovelware things to research - either leave it out, make it far cheaper in xp and cash for the small benefit, or give me something actually useful.

Forcing you to use the newer "C"  hull ( with less guns ) on the Mutsuki to get the faster firing guns is a good balance example.  I wanted the faster rate of fire, but I did not want to give up the guns - I had to actually THINK about which was more important to that DD's play style.  The Hatsuhara upgraded torp is a throw away no brainer, and in my opinion - bad game design.

Well I have reasearched the Hatsuharu torps and used them. The speed upgrade does not look like much, but it is indeed a big upgrade.

I did not regret buying it.

By the way: Bought the Kagero yesterday :)  This will take a while to finish though, now with BBs patched...

TBH, you should be focused on torps in the IJN DD line.  Period.  Your gun range isn't long enough to invisisnipe, and your turrets are the first thing that will get destroyed.  Oh, and Last Stand is a 100% necessary perk as a DD Captain.  In my Shinma, I don't repair my steering/engine until I'm clear from an engagement, the drop in performance feels like it only goes down about 25%

There is a thread or three on it somewhere but I believe some folks tested it and its more like 15% or so drop. I know I maintain 32+ knots in my Nicholas with engine out.  The biggest way it can hurt is getting back up to speed as that takes forever using last stand on a dead engine.