Assassin7

New Twitch Viewer Funded GTX 970 - Unboxing

I wanted to do a video on my stream for this, since its the amazing people on my Live stream that were able to make this happen, however it ended up not being possible, so I here is a thread with unboxing pictures to compensate.

First:

94Ypw8E.jpg

its a Gigabtye Windforce GTX 970. I had two choices for which to get, this, or the EVGA ACX 2.0 970. I chose the Gigabyte for several reasons:

I Don't have an amazing cooling solution in my case, this is because I have extremely bad cable management (im never buying a non modular PSU ever again), Im only running the stock cooler, and my PC is in an extremely small room (in reality its just a huge ass broom cupboard, around 3mx1.5m) which heats up extremely fast when you are gaming, meaning it gets even hotter in the PC. The Gigabyte was also cheaper than the EVGA until the week before I went to buy it, and saving money is good (it was $573NZ, with the EVGA being $625 until just last weekend, where it seems to have dropped to around $570 as well, which by then I had my mind made up)

I also much preferred the looks of the Windforce to the EVGA, and while I know EVGA is a great company with great warranties, a friend bought a Gigabyte 770 for his build a year or two ago and loves it. 

Opening the box:

J62xqBF.jpg

the Hype from this is real! it looks so niiiice :D

annnd the GPU itself, out of its antistatic bag:

ReWDPV5.jpg

it looks so glorious :D I really like how it has the rubber inserts to cover up all the ports, and even the SLI connectors AND the PCI-E connector. my 660 had these inserts as well, however it didnt have a PCI-E insert, so its nice to see this does. This is the first top end GPU I have ever owned, so I presume most 970s/980s/any other high end GPU released in the last however long have this anyway, but its nice for me.

So, when installing it, I immediately started cursing to all hell the shitty cable management I have (seriously, never ever ever ever getting a non modular PSU again ever) and also the fact my Case (a Zalman Z3 plus) has a bracket which runs down the middle of the case, which is great for mounting things like supports for the GPU to stop it warping in the slot, or even fans, but makes it a massive bitch to actually get the GPU in or out of the case. I managed it, however in the process I managed to completely break the plug for my motherboard plug on the front USB 3.0 port on the case, (like, completely snapped it because I forced the GPU in and it bent the cable too far on the plug and broke it) however, I got it in, only to find that my PSU doesn't actually have an 8 pin connecter. which I found weird as its a 650w PSU designed for this thing, but what ever, the GPU came with an adapter for it so I was good. plugged it in, still cancerous cable management. Booted it up, runs perfectly :D

In the system, its a bit louder at Idle than my 660, though thats a given since it has triple the fans. its sitting at around 25C at idle, my 660 would be sitting around 29C right now.  However, when playing games it really shines. I took it out for a test run in GTA 5 (my most demanding game) when playing GTA my 660 would rock up to around 75C, even with the fans running at max. in the 3 hour session of singleplayer I played, the highest temperature I got to with this 970 was 52C. 52. I was amazed. also, when the fans start cranking up on this thing it sounds fucking badass, its like a jet engine noise, but not loud. on max fan speed its really not that much louder than my 660, so thats nice.

so, benchmarks on games: (with i5 3570K @3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, Win 10 home on Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 1600x900 res)

World of Tanks: my 660 would be getting around 50 average on max except motion blur, depending on the map (some higher, some lower) and the 970 gets.... around 60 depending on the map. lol. I was actually surprised at the lack of FPS improvement, sure WoT is CPU dependent, but upgrading from a 660 to a 970 is a huge improvement, I would of expected at least some sort of recognisable difference. BUT! the one thing I needed it to do - Fix the artifacting - it has done, which I am extremely pleased about. like, thank god, I was having nightmares about it not actually working in the few days before buying it. 

War Thunder: WT planes got around 120fps average for planes on nearly max with the 660. the 970, with the same settings ( I will turn them up) 250 is the lowest I saw. tanks would be getting around 60 with the 660, I was getting 120 with the 970, on max.

BF4: I haven't tested BF4 properly with the 970 (I was streaming it last night and so didn't get a proper Framerate) but my 660 would play it on mostly low with some settings on high at around 120fps average. I was getting 130 with the same settings while streaming in BF4 on the 970. :D

GTA 5: Probably the best improvement yet. the 660 would play it on medium-low at 50-60fps. I went and completely maxed it out last night with the 970, and I get 80 average. fuck. yes. ITS SO BEAUTIFUL ON MAX :D

Im so happy with this. And Seriously, because I cannot say it enough, a massive, massive thanks to EVERYONE who donated to help me afford this. I simply cannot think you all enough for your generosity. 

(/first unboxing post ever)

Yup, WoT doesn't give a flying fuck about your GPU, I have an R9 280X which runs AW at 80+fps on max and I still can't get consistent 60 fps in WoT with everything maxed out, it's ridiculous.

34 minutes ago, breeeze said:

Yup, WoT doesn't give a flying fuck about your GPU

Your GPU does matter. My GTX 670 just died and I had to go back down to my GTX 650 (eugh), lost almost half my framerate. Went from 60 to 30, I have to crank down my settings hard just to get back to 45 or so.

12 minutes ago, Medjed said:

inb4 your mum takes your GTX 970 and claims the rights on it

fuck no, she didnt pay a cent on it. 

3 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

Your GPU does matter. My GTX 670 just died and I had to go back down to my GTX 650 (eugh), lost almost half my framerate. Went from 60 to 30, I have to crank down my settings hard just to get back to 45 or so.

of course it does, I had to go without my 660 for a day after selling it before I could buy the 970, stuck my old 630 in, had to turn the settings down to pretty low to get it to work, but it seems that past a certain level not much happens. a 660 to a 970 is a huge upgrade, and WoT is the only game I have tested that doesn't reflect that

Didn't think I would ever feel this good about throwing that one dollar at you on stream. Not much, but still.

Spoiler

Does this make me #notasellout now?

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

no, the problem is I dont have a modular PSU, and I have never done it before when I put it in the case, so I suck at it anyway. 

I <3 my modular psu, its sex, a little on the longer side, like most mod psu's, but totally worth it (idk what case you has, but if its big, then it doesnt really matter)

57 minutes ago, xRightygamer said:

Didn't think I would ever feel this good about throwing that one dollar at you on stream. Not much, but still.

Reveal hidden contents

Does this make me #notasellout now?

:P

all help was extremely appreciated 

(also your on my donator list now)

I have a GTX 750 GPU. With my intel Pentium, I had to go minimum settings to get 60 FPS, 40-ish when I stream. Upgraded CPU to an i5 4690k, and here I am running Max graphics at 60fps! Havent had a long stream test, but I would think it'd work out to about 40-50 FPS with a stream, and I could probably get 60 FPS if I turned it to High

No more artifacting streams? It made seeing the same maps more interesting when random black spikes would obscure stuff mid fight. Grats on the new GPU :)

1 minute ago, Pravdy said:

No more artifacting streams? It made seeing the same maps more interesting when random black spikes would obscure stuff mid fight. Grats on the new GPU :)

Well if last nights session is anything to go buy then nope, all gone. Im so pleased, it just made me depressed every time saw them.

3 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

all help was extremely appreciated 

(also your on my donator list now)

Wait, people pay you to stream?  I gotta figure out how to do that...

20 minutes ago, Errants said:

Wait, people pay you to stream?  I gotta figure out how to do that...

Nope, i stream because its fun and I enjoy it, and people donate because they enjoy watching me stream and I am able to improve the quality of the stream with donation money.

I've made a policy for myself that all money donated to me from the livestream is soley for improving the quality of the livestream. Next on the list is a better microphone

I'm still working on getting A0 streaming consistent, and B) people to enjoy it... ^_^

Glad you're finding success, Asassin, even if you still cannae spell.

1 hour ago, Never said:

Nice to see that my retelling of the Lord of the Rings introduction scene via text-to-speech went to a good cause!

just went and went from low to max on BF4.

180fps

Spoiler

yes--meme-4659.jpg

2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Nope, i stream because its fun and I enjoy it, and people donate because they enjoy watching me stream and I am able to improve the quality of the stream with donation money.

I've made a policy for myself that all money donated to me from the livestream is soley for improving the quality of the livestream. Next on the list is a better microphone

Impossible for me stream because my upload doesn't even reach 1mb/s. I'm not the one paying the bills either so I'm shit out of luck. It's a shame because I've had the hardware to do so for a while.

10 minutes ago, Stige said:

Should have bought a real GPU instead of that NVidia 3.5GB of shit.

except its not a piece of shit. it is extremely powerful, if you are playing at 1080p or less the 3.5GB issue doesn't matter.

10 hours ago, Rexxie said:

Well, you know what I mean... The amount of graphics power you need to max this game at 60 is crazy for how it looks, the 970 should easily be able to get 100fps+ with this kind of a game, and the fact that I can't max the game even just at 60, while being able to just about max out every single modern game is just sad.