FlorbFnarb

Shit's blowing up in Paris; our EU peeps all okay?

28 minutes ago, Cunicularius said:

Ok. Understandable.

But why the fuck would we bring them into the US at $16k a head!?

>we

The American gov't will grasp at literally any excuse to destroy the nation's integrity in order to prop up its own motivations for existing.

I hope the citizens of France remain well.

51 minutes ago, Cunicularius said:

Ok. Understandable.

But why the fuck would we bring them into the US at $16k a head!?

Becuz doing it the other way around would be legit scam.

edit: 120+ deaths and around 200 injured along with 80 at critical condition.
8 attackers with automatic weapons wearing suicide vests.
6 locations attacked and some scums blew themselves up as police close in.

They should all be eradicated from the surface of the planet.

There are actually people who are downsizing the event saying 'who cares' and whatnot.

I can't believe people like that actually exist.

4 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

SWAT already stormed the concert hall and killed three gunmen. Carnage inside, over 100 dead. French president & PM are heading there...

prolly GIGN btw, dunno if you were just using SWAT for clarity, but they aren't exactly SWAT.  Imo the most disturbing terrorist act to happen in a western country.  The banality of a concert and random restaurants makes it feel so much closer.  Not tooo worried about family because I realize the chances are minuscule given the population of Paris (and I don't think anyone is into american metal music). 

Basically only thing we know for sure is that Front National just gained a lot for elections.

@people who say not isis/al qaeda, Unless you're going for conspiracy theories I don't really see who else you think yells allahu ackbar and murders people with AKs and explosives. l-let's not jump to conclusions that they were muslim, c-coulda been a-anyone right?

Most amazingly, even when reminded of these kinds of threats some people will continue railing against intelligence agencies.

Thoughts from South Africa to them:) Just hope they can sort everything out and save as many people as possible and get those who are responsible... In the case of these events they (the terrorists) should not be treated as humans and have their human rights removed, since if you want the rights of a human you have to atleast behave like a f***ing human.

I don't care for religion that much and I had to spend several years in North Africa and the middle east. The truth is that this is exactly what is mentioned in the Quran.

Religion of Peace? No way!!!!

Paris is just 4,5h away and I did spend also a lot of time in France.

The People will stand up and: (Refrain of the national anthem)

Aux armes, citoyens, To arms, citizens,
Formez vos bataillons, Form your battalions,
Marchons, marchons ! Let's march, let's march!
Qu'un sang impur Let an impure blood
Abreuve nos sillons !                    

Water our furrows!

and I will march with you!

Reportedly nobody has claimed responsibility as yet, although I have read that Twitter accounts owned by ISIS have praised the attacks.

There are a lot of so-called "lone wolf" terrorist attacks which have been inspired by the likes of Al Qaeda and ISIS without actually being directed by them.  This is unlikely to have been one of those, however, given the scale of the operation, although not entirely impossible.   A smallish independent cell could have taken cues from the larger organizations.

Still, the likely suspects are of course Al Qaeda and ISIS.

Even if they aren't directly responsible, they have clearly worked to promote this sort of thing and do need to be entirely eradicated.  Al Qaeda as an underground group was bad enough; having ISIS actually hold land is simply unacceptable.  It would legitimize these sorts of people in too many people's minds.

Good luck to the police, intelligence and counterintelligence agencies that will be responsible for discovering who is ultimately responsible and finding them.

Oh it's ISIS without a doubt, the coordination that went into these attacks excludes any lone wolf/copycat. It takes a sinister level of secrecy skills for French intelligence to not detect and warn about something of this size.

I really believe we haven't even seen the start of this shit yet.

4 minutes ago, Covalent said:

Oh it's ISIS without a doubt, the coordination that went into these attacks excludes any lone wolf/copycat. It takes a sinister level of secrecy skills for French intelligence to not detect and warn about something of this size.

I really believe we haven't even seen the start of this shit yet.

Well, I can't offhand entirely discount the possibility of an independent group pulling it off.  I don't know all the details about the bombs, their construction, and where they were placed, but detonating a few bombs simultaneously and then having like seven guys with AKs kill a bunch of people in a concert hall is not all that difficult.  Keeping it secret wouldn't be a challenge for a small cell, either.

The bad part is that if so, they were a reasonably disciplined group capable of making reliable bombs, and able to find several people willing to take the suicide bomber path.

But the most likely probability is that it is in fact either ISIS or Al Qaeda.  ISIS has mostly concentrated on consolidation in their home base and making gains in contiguous land, rather than attacking foreign enemies elsewhere in the world, but it's certainly possible that they decided to go ahead and start making foreign attacks.

6 minutes ago, Joyrider216 said:

Just woke up and saw the headlines, what the fuck. I am just like 5 hours away from there ;_;

Wut? You're near Aachen?

1 hour ago, gingxxx said:

I don't care for religion that much and I had to spend several years in North Africa and the middle east. The truth is that this is exactly what is mentioned in the Quran.

Religion of Peace? No way!!!

Bullshit. Blaming this on a religion with 1.4 billion people and claiming 'oh, they're all like that' is like labelling every Christian based on the behaviour of the Ku Klux Klan. This is a bunch of lunatics using religion as an excuse. 

2 minutes ago, Research_Monkey said:

This is so fucked up. I wonder how many years this will last before things calm down

Honestly, I don't think this is just gonna subside.  These terrorists are emboldened by the existence and actions of Al Qaeda and ISIS, regardless of whether there is any material connection or not.

I do think the only solution is to put an end to both Al Qaeda and especially ISIS, who seems to be ascendant at the moment.  A decisive defeat is the only thing that will dispel their aura of strength.

19 minutes ago, BattleMetalChris said:

Bullshit. Blaming this on a religion with 1.4 billion people and claiming 'oh, they're all like that' is like labelling every Christian based on the behaviour of the Ku Klux Klan. This is a bunch of lunatics using religion as an excuse. 

I lived there! You too? I read the Quran! You too?

It's less a religion and more an ideology for my understanding and some people will deny it until they have the rope around their neck.

Not every muslim is a terrorist but most terrorists are muslims.

That's a fact and you can easily check it with Google or Interpol.

20 minutes ago, Research_Monkey said:

This is so fucked up. I wonder how many years this will last before things calm down

It will not calm down. It's just the beginning.

First they claim any right as a minority. When they are the majority there are no rights for minorities.

32 minutes ago, BattleMetalChris said:

Not every german was a nazi, yet ww2 happened. Magic?

Let's perhaps keep the politics to PMs.  I agree with some of the things being said here, but I think perhaps the time for debate over causes and remedies...it's just a bit early, I suppose, and I think we're all angry right now.  Justifiably so, but the entire topic is tricky territory.

1 hour ago, no_name_cro said:

I remember @Sidus_Preclarum has been living/still lives in Paris. Hopefully he and his folk are OK.

Same here.  Given that hundreds were killed or wounded in these attacks, quite a lot of Parisians and other folks will either know somebody harmed in the attacks or know somebody whose loved one was harmed in the attacks.

1 hour ago, no_name_cro said:

I remember @Sidus_Preclarum has been living/still lives in Paris. Hopefully he and his folk are OK.

Moved to Rennes, Brittany, for 2 years in september. Used to go with a friend at a bar 20 metres from the Bataclan, and she'd often go there afterwards to finish the night.. Luckily, she actually was on holiday in Brittany as well. Apprently, the bar's Patrons had locked in and were safe as well. Also have a friend who wanted to go to the concert and usually spends his friday nights around Oberkampf : he didn't get a ticket because he waited for too long and didn't feel like going out yesterday.

As far as I can tell, all my close friends are safe, though I can't tell for *everybody* I might know from work and pubs and whatnots.

I kind of want to go back to the city right now :/  And have a pint at a terrasse, just because, fuck that, won't let lunatics alter the course of my life.

Oh, well…

Fluctuat nec mergitur, she's tossed by the waves but doesn't sink.

Resilience should be the mot d'ordre.

Basically only thing we know for sure is that Front National just gained a lot for elections.

This. Those assholes managed to probably make the life of their friends, family, brethren in religion (though I can uderstand no-one to be called their brethren in religion), or just people who have the wrong looks, worse for the next few years.

Not that if you're capable of doing that kind of stuff, you'd give a damn rat about such pesky things as reality.

It looks like Japan is now the the safest country on the world with only 2% of non-Japanese citizens. 

38 minutes ago, gingxxx said:

I lived there! You too? I read the Quran! You too?

It's less a religion and more an ideology for my understanding and some people will deny it until they have the rope around their neck.

Not every muslim is a terrorist but most terrorists are muslims.

That's a fact and you can easily check it with Google or Interpol.

Nope. It's not a problem with religion but with something I'd call a civilization progress. Now we live in 2015 but Muslims in 1436/7. There are 622 years behind our latin-Christian civilization but unfortunately they have access to modern technology. Imagine now medieval Europeans using bombs, guns and terror to reach their goals based on religion, nationality or just their wicked minds. 

BTW Any news from Ectar and other EU CM?