FlorbFnarb

Headset recommendations

Budget? You can get shit stuff that will work for a time for like $20 but also be uncomfortable and wear out after a while, or you can drop a lot on something high quality and have it last.

If you arent an audiophile and want good enough, reliable, and comfortable I cannot recommend logitech G230s (or G430s if you want) enough.  They do exactly that extremely well. I love mine. They arent overly expensive either. They cost me $90NZ so I presume you could pick them up for $50 US

Bought this on sale for around $200 (Aus) about 2 years back (retailed for nearly $400 at the time) and hasn't let me down... however haven't seen it since... there is a similar one the same company makes which apparently isn't as good. Plantronics Commander

I'm rather happy with my Logitech G430. It's not the most expensive thing you can buy, but it's pretty good at the price. If you don't need 7.1 surround, then a G230 is a great deal.

Tfw people recommending gaming shitsets for music\ any other sound that isnt a fart :serb: 

If built in micro is a must, i mean really a must consider akg ghs1/senheiser Pc 330 /other pc models if too expensive or cheap.

i havent heard audio technica headsets , but considering it builds quality headphones it will be still better choice than gaming turds :serb: 

1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

I'm rather happy with my Logitech G430. It's not the most expensive thing you can buy, but it's pretty good at the price. If you don't need 7.1 surround, then a G230 is a great deal.

I have old G430's, and honestly I find them super uncomfortable. The fabric just itches after a while and makes a scratching noise every time you adjust them.

Could also go the proper headphones + clip-on mic route. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD598s that I cannot recommend enough, with an $8 Zalman mic for games. My voice quality isn't spectacular but it's definitely acceptable with the in-Windows boost turned all the way up (+30dB). 

4 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

HyperX Cloud II, best headset I have owned, sounds good with music if you remember to turn off 7.1 surround. I bought mine for $100CAD on sale.

I love my HyperX Cloud 

4 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

HyperX Cloud II, best headset I have owned, sounds good with music if you remember to turn off 7.1 surround. I bought mine for $100CAD on sale.

oh snap

i was coming in to post this.....i have the cloud but I hear the cloud 2 are even betta

http://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/cloud/hscp

4 hours ago, aaveq said:

Tfw people recommending gaming shitsets for music\ any other sound that isnt a fart :serb: 

If built in micro is a must, i mean really a must consider akg ghs1/senheiser Pc 330 /other pc models if too expensive or cheap.

i havent heard audio technica headsets , but considering it builds quality headphones it will be still better choice than gaming turds :serb: 

the hyper x cloud/2 are more than fine for music

with that said, I do have akg 702s running off a dac/tube amp but even before I got that setup, I had no qualms about listening to music on the hyper x cloud.......he didn't say he wanted a full setup of cans for music, just that they're good enough for music and the hyperx cloud/2 fits the bill to a T.

I have a freakishly huge head.  Normal headsets give me a headache if I wear them too long.  I usually have to warp or break headsets to fit around my giant melon, which hurts the quality of what I can buy.

I bought this a few weeks ago and have been pleased with its comfort and size.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0TH-000R-00020

Quality isn't quite as great as more expensive headsets, but for its price range its good.

Cloud II user reporting in, I wrote a short opinion on them in a previous thread:

Pros:
Insanely light, I can wear these for 8h straight with no discomfort.
Look fantastic, plus are restrained enough to not look like shit if you choose to go outside with them.
Virtual 7.1 sounds pretty good. I'm no audiophile and I don't care to be one, so I am "fooled" by it.
Really high max audio if you want to make your ears bleed.
Great quality cabling, corded single cable for the INSANELY CONVENIENT 1m 3.5mm cable (ie it works with your phone), then a long USB cord for the extra length to reach your comp and for the 7.1 surround.
I previously used Logitech G430's with like 3m of cable, and good god is that frustrating to have to deal with.
Fully flexible mic, allowing for placement pretty much anywhere in front/side of your mouth.
Build quality is stellar. Brushed metal for the frame, then stitched rubber for the padding.

Cons:
Quiet mic (pretty much everyone I talk to in TS says this). It is advertised as being noise cancelling, but I talk pretty quiet most of the time so maybe my own voice is getting cancelled? Idk.
The lowest audio level is still really loud for some reason, I pretty much keep my desktop audio between 2-10%, and in game stuff is no higher than 50%. Due to the intervals the quiet end can be frustrating to get sounding like you want (ie either too loud or too soft).

They are probably at the top end of "gaming" headsets that you can buy, and I would say I am definitely not disappointed by my investment.

Can confirm what luna stated, the thing with 7.1 and music is that it messes with where the sound is "coming" from, so it kinda butchers the sound due to how the recording process works, but it's easy to turn on/off, with the switch being on the line amp.

7 hours ago, stewiejp said:

Bought this on sale for around $200 (Aus) about 2 years back (retailed for nearly $400 at the time) and hasn't let me down... however haven't seen it since... there is a similar one the same company makes which apparently isn't as good. Plantronics Commander

FFS, Amazon is selling them for $700...

I suppose I should have pointed out a price range, but I was sleepy and heading for bed.

I can justify around the $50 range at the moment - up to about $70-ish would be the max, really.  The ones in the $90+ price range are just a bit steep given I have some other expenses coming up.

44 minutes ago, ThanksLuna said:

Cloud II user reporting in, I wrote a short opinion on them in a previous thread:

Pros:
Insanely light, I can wear these for 8h straight with no discomfort.
Look fantastic, plus are restrained enough to not look like shit if you choose to go outside with them.
Virtual 7.1 sounds pretty good. I'm no audiophile and I don't care to be one, so I am "fooled" by it.
Really high max audio if you want to make your ears bleed.
Great quality cabling, corded single cable for the INSANELY CONVENIENT 1m 3.5mm cable (ie it works with your phone), then a long USB cord for the extra length to reach your comp and for the 7.1 surround.
I previously used Logitech G430's with like 3m of cable, and good god is that frustrating to have to deal with.
Fully flexible mic, allowing for placement pretty much anywhere in front/side of your mouth.
Build quality is stellar. Brushed metal for the frame, then stitched rubber for the padding.

Cons:
Quiet mic (pretty much everyone I talk to in TS says this). It is advertised as being noise cancelling, but I talk pretty quiet most of the time so maybe my own voice is getting cancelled? Idk.
The lowest audio level is still really loud for some reason, I pretty much keep my desktop audio between 2-10%, and in game stuff is no higher than 50%. Due to the intervals the quiet end can be frustrating to get sounding like you want (ie either too loud or too soft).

They are probably at the top end of "gaming" headsets that you can buy, and I would say I am definitely not disappointed by my investment.

How large are the earphones themselves?  Very comfortably-fitting, you'd say?

Despite what I said above about my budget, I'm now leaning toward these.  Oddly enough, the red ones are a good $10 more than the gun metal ones, for some strange reason.  I can live with that, though.

9 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

If you arent an audiophile and want good enough, reliable, and comfortable I cannot recommend logitech G230s (or G430s if you want) enough.  They do exactly that extremely well. I love mine. They arent overly expensive either. They cost me $90NZ so I presume you could pick them up for $50 US

I'm going to say no simply because they're Logitech. In my own experiences, Logitech headsets have been incredibly disappointing. Atleast the wireless ones are.

Florb, your best bet would be to pick up a 40, 50 or 60 dollar headset and a 3 or 4 dollar mod mic.

6 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

I own Cloud I's, really good build quality, really comfy. Got em on sale so it was a better value proposition.

33 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Despite what I said above about my budget, I'm now leaning toward these.  Oddly enough, the red ones are a good $10 more than the gun metal ones, for some strange reason.  I can live with that, though.

Are the II's only USB connectors now? Really? Ugh.

34 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

They are amazingly comfortable. I first tried them on at WG's booth at PAX a couple months ago, and I picked up a pair that same day because of how amazing they felt.

I got the above backwards, by the way; the gun metal ones are $10 more than the red, not the other way around.

The Kingston Cloud things are probably the only "gaming" headset I'd not feel even slightly shitty about suggesting someone else buy. They're expensive, even still 90+ US on sale, but the physical quality is really nice. I'm not sure what the 7.1 is like on the Cloud 2s, as my uh mark 1s I guess? don't have them. My mothballed Logitech G930s have 7.1 and "stereo". Stereo in the sense that unless the 7.1 is on and working properly, you'll be stuck with 90%+ of your sound coming out one speaker and in shitty quality, assuming your headset doesn't randomly crash your volume mixer/controls in windows. Or your entire computer. Seriously fuck logitech.

4 hours ago, Garbad said:

I have a freakishly huge head.  Normal headsets give me a headache if I wear them too long.  I usually have to warp or break headsets to fit around my giant melon, which hurts the quality of what I can buy.

I bought this a few weeks ago and have been pleased with its comfort and size.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0TH-000R-00020

Quality isn't quite as great as more expensive headsets, but for its price range its good.

I had those before my HyperX Clouds......the headband broke just above the right ear piece about a month out of warranty.  After that, I won't buy another plastic headband.