Siimcy

Map "Paris" removed from the Domination mode for update 9.12

So this bit came directly from the 9.12 patchnotes/announcement for tomorrows patch on the RU portal.

Rather poor translation using Google Translate, tried to fix it a bit.

* In connection with the recent tragic events in France from 9.12 update we've decided to delete the map "Paris".

Source: LINK(In Russian)

I would say I'm suprised, but the am mount of "white knights" and easy to anger players is fucking stupid high.

TBH, this is more of a "let's just remove it to avoid endless hassle from retards" than a "in respect of the tragic events" move.

Call me cynical, but that's how it looks to me.

14 minutes ago, shutupshake said:

They should rename this patch from 9.12 to 9.lets-not-piss-anyone-off.

And put little flags in your garage saying, we love you.

And maybe add "Extra heavy cushions" equipment which deflects all ramming damage for only 500 gold.

Might as well shut down the entire game, since tank gameplay is glorifying/trivialising war and violence amirite? 

1 hour ago, Medjed said:

Never expected to see russians this politically correct about everything, first 9.11 now this

nothing wrong with 9.11 it was on 11. September so 11.9 right :dealdog:

6 minutes ago, KingYoshiLuca said:

nothing wrong with 9.11 it was on 11. September so 11.9 right :dealdog:

and patch 11.9 will be skipped too for yuro ppl :serb: 

Well, the 9/11 thing was silly. But let's not forget WG has an office in Paris, and that this is out of respect, not because they want to piss anyone off. 

I find it strange that no one has even mentioned the Lebanon bombings or the man that saved the lives of over 100 people by sacrificing himself there, so much for white knights when you really think about it.

So are they going to remove/adjust some of the missions?

Because ones like

D-10: Near, Far, Wherever You Are

Primary Conditions

• Cause at least 3,000 HP of damage to enemy vehicles from a distance of more than 300 m by shooting them.

Pretty much screams Paris, other maps like Mines and kebab-town doesn't have the distance at all.

This would make sense if this were a map for a GTA style game, but not sure it fits considering this game is pretty firmly "set" in the past, and nowhere is a single person rendered in-game

Pretending Paris doesn't exist doesn't do much to honour Paris, IMO anyway

42 minutes ago, Kramburglar said:

This would make sense if this were a map for a GTA style game, but not sure it fits considering this game is pretty firmly "set" in the past, and nowhere is a single person rendered in-game

Pretending Paris doesn't exist doesn't do much to honour Paris, IMO anyway

The problem here is that Paris was never the scene of any major tank battles.  I don't think Paris was ever as damaged as the map shows and I do think it would be in pretty poor taste to release this.  They should stick to maps for historical battle areas during the 30's to 60's era.

49 minutes ago, lt_lolcat said:

The problem here is that Paris was never the scene of any major tank battles.  I don't think Paris was ever as damaged as the map shows and I do think it would be in pretty poor taste to release this.  They should stick to maps for historical battle areas during the 30's to 60's era.

Fair enough. TBH I haven't seen the map yet, so the destruction level of the locale hadn't occurred to me.

1 hour ago, lt_lolcat said:

The map clearly was conceptualized and created at least in part prior to the incident in Paris. It's not like they got inspiration from recent events. There is no poor taste in releasing it as there was no mal intent or intent to capitalize in some way off it.

6 minutes ago, MetGreDKo said:

The map clearly was conceptualized and created at least in part prior to the incident in Paris. It's not like they got inspiration from recent events. There is no poor taste in releasing it as there was no mal intent or intent to capitalize in some way off it.

Trying to capitalize on it would go way beyond bad taste.  I would hope none of us would assume that was their intent.

If the city were simply a pristine recreation that old school tanks were driving around on sure, but I can certainly see how seeing Paris in ruins would hit close to home for a lot of people, especially this close after

Just now, Kramburglar said:

Trying to capitalize on it would go way beyond bad taste.  I would hope none of us would assume that was their intent.

If the city were simply a pristine recreation that old school tanks were driving around on sure,but I can certainly see how seeing Paris in ruins would hit close to home for a lot of people. 

Why would it hit close to home when Paris isn't by any means in ruins now?

Further, hitting close to home for someone does not make something in poor taste.

1 minute ago, MetGreDKo said:

Why would it hit close to home when Paris isn't by any means in ruins now?

Something doesn't have to be a 1:1 recreation to illicit a reaction.

3 minutes ago, MetGreDKo said:

Further, hitting close to home for someone does not make something in poor taste.

Whether it's in poor taste or not can be debated (I wasn't the one who said it was), but I won't fault WG for delaying a map that shows a city that was recently attacked in ruins

I wouldn't grab a pitchfork if WG decided to release the map, but I can also see why they would choose to delay it

1 minute ago, Kramburglar said:

Something doesn't have to be a 1:1 recreation to illicit a reaction.

Whether it's in poor taste or not can be debated (I wasn't the one who said it was), but I won't fault WG for delaying a map that shows a city that was recently attacked in ruins

I wouldn't grab a pitchfork if WG decided to release the map, but I can also see why they would choose to delay it

You're right of course. It doesn't have to be exact to elicit a response. I just doubt it would be very close to home or how many people it would really impact.

From a PR stand point I agree, they made the right call. People get overly sensitive because of shitty things and expect the world to stop because of said shitty things, at least in anything remotely connected. Going through with their plans from before I feel isn't in poor taste but rather a more neutral stance. T'was where I was intending to go with my first post here.

GJ WG you removed the best domination map for absolutely no reason.

How come they didn't skip patch 8.8? 

And HOW DARE they have overlord a d-day map and Prokhorovka!!?? People died there you insensitive fucks! 

Just now, Medjed said:

Never expected to see russians this politically correct about everything, first 9.11 now this

Absolutely cannot understand how Wargaming Inc thought this 'Paris' map for a good idea even BEFORE the recent week's sad day.   

•  France's Tomb of the Unknown soldier is near this.  Even the German Army in WWII knew not to do, what Wargaming Inc's map creation & marketing promotion departments did on the Paris map.
  • 1995 Algerian terrorist bomb plot near the Arc de Triomphe

Good riddence to Wargaming's Paris map.  Bluntly unacceptable map, that pissed on fallen unknown veterans.   If ever does arrive, I'm done with all Wargaming products & services forever.

3 hours ago, Valan said:

Absolutely cannot understand how Wargaming Inc thought this 'Paris' map for a good idea even BEFORE the recent week's sad day.   

•  France's Tomb of the Unknown soldier is near this.  Even the German Army in WWII knew not to do, what Wargaming Inc's map creation & marketing promotion departments did on the Paris map.
  • 1995 Algerian terrorist bomb plot near the Arc de Triomphe

Good riddence to Wargaming's Paris map.  Bluntly unacceptable map, that pissed on fallen unknown veterans.   If ever does arrive, I'm done with all Wargaming products & services forever.

Seriously, are any of these places actually IN the map for people to shoot up or drive into? No. And as someone said before, omg theres a D-day map and a map based on Kursk! PEOPLE DIED THERE MAN WE SHOULD REMOVE THEM! Heck, theres a map based on one of the most destroyed cities in WW2 - Stalingrad, that should be removed because we can't offend the people that died there.

Im all for supporting the recent events and tragedies, but theres taking it too far. And what you are saying is basically like when Tazilon said "hurr durr Russia invaded Ukraine so im not going to support WG, a Belrusian company and remove all of my content and quit their game"