BigDaddyTankster

Where were you at 5000 games - what's the best thing you did to improve to blue/purple?

I remember I broke 1k wn8 when I had 5k games (w/r was still at like 48% lol). I think my recents were something like 1.6k/53%? When I got to around 2.2k recent, I was still struggling to break 54% w/r which is pretty sad. But then my recent w/r suddenly jumped like 5% to 58% in the span of a couple hundred battles lel

At 5006 battles, I was at 1378 WN8 overall (probably around 2-2.1k recent, if I recall correctly) and 53.3% WR (probably not much higher recent, maybe 55%).  I had just moved on from my initial social clan after discovering stats and WoTLabs somewhere between 3k and 4k battles and joined KIMBO, which gave me my first exposure to platooning with players significantly better than myself.

I had a good grasp of the general mechanics (use bushes, aim carefully) and some rudimentary map tactics but not a whole lot else.  I've still got a long way to go, but the biggest difference from then to now is probably the feel for how a battle is going and where I need to be.  At the time, I could look at the minimap (and did) but most of the time I wasn't sure what to do other than what I was already doing.  I now have a much better sense of that, although I suspect that's still the weakest part of my gameplay.

I'll echo Weesh's advice to find the highest tier where you aren't totally out of your depth and focus your efforts there.  I would also point you to this article which was very influential on my thinking when I was where you are and trying to make the next step (http://wotlabs.net/articles/getting-better-internet-tanks-cuddly-complex-enduring-way/).  Those two things in combination will give you some of Kewei's "sink or swim" approach, but without the total brutality of tier 10 gameplay (I feel tier 8 is optimal for learning, as you still will see all of the tier 10 tanks but you won't have to learn all of them all at once).  Pick a few lines and grind the out to the same tier, but make sure they're at least somewhat similar so you're not trying to learn wildly different playstyles at the same time that you're trying to learn everything else.

I have to be honest, I LOVE this website.  There aren't many other games I've played where good/great players will take the time to give advice to scrub newbies like myself.  Thank you everyone for the advice!

I will check out all of the links as well as re-read all of these several times to help grow my game overall.  It's good to see that I'm not that far off from where quite a few were at 5k games so there is hope to improve.  I don't have delusions that I'll be a unicum player but would love to get 1500+ and 55%+ to be a good overall player.

Once again, CHEERS!!!

1. I was terrible at 5k games.
  2. I am still terrible, especially by WOTLabs standards.
  3. I DO sometimes have great games, by any standard.
  4. Learn what the great players do.  Watch videos.  Hire CraBeatOff (a stern taskmaster, but an excellent teacher, ha.) or someone similar to give you lessons.  Ask good players if they will platoon with you- some great players are actually very nice and are willing to spend some time helping a noob.
  5. Use the vbaddict ADU and study which tanks you do well in and which you do not.  This can help you do better by playing to your strengths AND by helping you see what you might be doing wrong.
1 hour ago, BigDaddyTankster said:

I have to be honest, I LOVE this website.  There aren't many other games I've played where good/great players will take the time to give advice to scrub newbies like myself.  Thank you everyone for the advice!

I will check out all of the links as well as re-read all of these several times to help grow my game overall.  It's good to see that I'm not that far off from where quite a few were at 5k games so there is hope to improve.  I don't have delusions that I'll be a unicum player but would love to get 1500+ and 55%+ to be a good overall player.

Once again, CHEERS!!!

You are NOT going to have trouble reaching 1500.  This game rewards practice and map knowledge helps a lot.

At that point, the key is to look to managing your HP effectively and dealing effective damage. Blue/light purple means dealing 1.5x your HP in damage, which frankly isn't that much.

Look for the free early shots. 2 shots can easily mean you a third of your way to the goal.

Trade well. If you are trading even, reconsider what you are doing. If you are trading less than even, don't even think about it. This is important, and precludes some stupid things like tring to bait a bounce from an 183.

The only time you should be risking HP is to get a kill that may actually get away i.e. not kill stealing to get a gun out of the game or to obtain an important position.

Once you have all of these down, consider movement across the map, but this is not strictly speaking a required skill for blue or light purple. It is, however, vital if you want to move any further up.

5k games? well i was at 878 WN8 and 47.89% W/R. that was back in December of 2013

So IMO your doing just fine for someone with 5k games, especially when compared to most people when they reach the 5k mark. TBH all basics aside, my improvement came from joining a clan with good players (players who were all around 1.3k WN8 or higher) don't know how  the hell i got in, but by playing, training, and fighting with them in CW i learned a lot. so i would suggest you join a clan where you are among the worst in skill level, it may sound weird but that's what i continued to do even as i grew as a player and changed clans. i always looked for clans with a majority of better players so that i could constantly learn from them. 

1mcv9xJ.png

zTvJ7H0.png

:3 i suiscouted and etc

my main source of improvement was watching streams of gud players and i was always looking to join clans with players better than me and would play with me

i kept getting better and better, until recently :3

uZU9MOP.png