Jump to content
Never

Tabletop RPGs (D&D, Pathfinder, WoD, Call of Cthulhu...)

Recommended Posts

I used to. Not in years.

If you're looking for something awesome to try, give Unknown Armies a shot. It's extremely cool but it seems like few people have played it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, i do, Pathfinder, D&D 2nd edition, D&D 5th edition, Vampire The Requiem, Anima, Exalted, etc. Our group plays lot xD.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SHADOWRUN IS EXTREMELY COMPLEX.

There's a fucking mechanic for backblast damage when firing a rocket launcher in close spaces defined by distance to a wall or a person(I know, seems trivial or obvious, but like wtf)

 

If you even want to delve into the basics it's uh... Complicated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, #Lunaughty said:

SHADOWRUN IS EXTREMELY COMPLEX.

There's a fucking mechanic for backblast damage when firing a rocket launcher in close spaces defined by distance to a wall or a person(I know, seems trivial or obvious, but like wtf)

 

If you even want to delve into the basics it's uh... Complicated.

The more I roleplayed, the less I liked overly complex systems. That shit is not fun.

If, over time your game is heading the in direction of rolemaster, it's a bad thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

The more I roleplayed, the less I liked overly complex systems. That shit is not fun.

If, over time your game is heading the in direction of rolemaster, it's a bad thing.

That's kind of the conclusion I got from the group I play with.  

Personally, I've only ever played in Pathfinder and Pathfinder-derived games, and even then not for very long (less than a year), so I don't have any experience with truly complex systems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Statpadderer said:

Started playing D&D what seems like ages ago (it was called AD&D then;)), currently DMing our 3.5 Age of Worms campaign.

Ohlord Age of Worms. Terrifyingly difficult. I learned power building while playing through AoW because an unoptimized character just wouldn't last. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a devout D&D/AD&D player in the 80s - mid 90s, I also played a lot of GURPS varients.  Growing up sucks balls, so does living in a small shithole town now.  If I could get back into a nice D&D campaign, I'd jump all over it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Started playing D&D in 1978, and I've played a lot of different systems since then, but Dungeons & Dragons has a special place in my heart... Unfortunately I really never enjoyed 3.x of 4e that much, and I really haven't had a chance to do much of anything with 5e. In fact at this point I'm mostly buying RPG stuff to have something to read.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to up until a year ago when my gaming group fell apart.  I keep meaning to start up a new game but it just seems like so much work when I could be grinding tanks instead.  And every time I sit down and try to read the new 5e rules, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still in an occasional D&D 4e game.  I also used to play a bunch of 2-3.5e and GURPS.  I like 4e a lot and couldn't get into 5e.  Rip me.  Now I'm one of those guys with his old edition...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sr360 said:

Ohlord Age of Worms. Terrifyingly difficult. I learned power building while playing through AoW because an unoptimized character just wouldn't last. 

Aaaah, min-maxing, everything I hate about DnD in one succinct phrase.

I'll be honest, White Wolf's systems are not much better mechanically. Min-maxing is pretty viable there two. But there does tend to be more to a WW game than just min-maxing, whereas in DnD it's just about the whole purpose of the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can follow along with the ongoing adventures of Freedo Bookends in my boardgaming thread.  It should have monthly installments of barbarian decision making.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

I was a devout D&D/AD&D player in the 80s - mid 90s, I also played a lot of GURPS varients.  Growing up sucks balls, so does living in a small shithole town now.  If I could get back into a nice D&D campaign, I'd jump all over it.

10 minutes ago, WhichOneIsWill said:

I've always wanted to get into D&D, but I've never been able to find anyone that would be willing to play it, never mind a group that would be fun to play with.

Check out https://roll20.net/. It's a virtual tabletop where you can find groups to play with over the internet. It's pretty cool.

1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

Aaaah, min-maxing, everything I hate about DnD in one succinct phrase.

I'll be honest, White Wolf's systems are not much better mechanically. Min-maxing is pretty viable there two. But there does tend to be more to a WW game than just min-maxing, whereas in DnD it's just about the whole purpose of the game.

That highly depends on the DM. If you're going for hack-n-slash, kick-down-the-door-and-kill-the-orc type of game, sure, minmaxing will make you far more effective. If the DM is good, then the campaign will easily accomodate even the munchkinest of characters.

8 hours ago, Spyshadow01 said:

That's kind of the conclusion I got from the group I play with.  

Personally, I've only ever played in Pathfinder and Pathfinder-derived games, and even then not for very long (less than a year), so I don't have any experience with truly complex systems.

Honestly, I feel that with anything more complex than Pathfinder you start to get past the point of diminishing returns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Never said:

Check out https://roll20.net/. It's a virtual tabletop where you can find groups to play with over the internet. It's pretty cool.

Can confirm, this is what my group uses to run their games.  The dungeon map that works in sort-of real time was really nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Never said:

That highly depends on the DM. If you're going for hack-n-slash, kick-down-the-door-and-kill-the-orc type of game, sure, minmaxing will make you far more effective. If the DM is good, then the campaign will easily accomodate even the munchkinest of characters.

For sure, but DnD doesn't exactly do much to encourage the GM to go beyond Timmy the Power Game stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You name it, I played it. I was a bit of a tabletop whore at the local hobby shops.

:O

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still playing every Friday with the guys that got me started on 2nd Ed in highschool. We play 3.5 now, and occasionally allow stuff from pathfinder. 3.5 just has so much to pick from, even if a lot of it is crap, that you can build pretty much anything if you know your books.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...