Never

Tabletop RPGs (D&D, Pathfinder, WoD, Call of Cthulhu...)

Found a group on campus, a couple vets and a couple newbies like myself.  Going to start a game Saturday.  May I ask how badly I'm going to get beat?

That looks like a totally normal starting character from the numbers. Just try to have fun and think how you character would approach a fight. It's a Rogue who is on the run. That would be like lots of sneaking and flanking and hiding in the back when in the city and stuff.

So, the game was incredibly fun.  It took us about four hours to do the first five or so scenes, but we'll finish up next time.  A few from the highlight reel:

GM: The thieves are backed into a corner.  Paladin: I ask them why they stole these goods.  Me: Can I sneak along the wall while they're distracted?  GM: Make a stealth check.  (Rolls a natural 20 +7 modifier).  GM: Neither the thieves nor your group notice you sneaking along the wall.  Me: I stab them in the leg with my rapier.  (Rolls a 19).  GM: You stab one guy, then your rapier continues through and stabs the second in the leg.  Your group hears the guards coming.  They heard the shouting and come to investigate.  Cleric: I tend to their wounds.  Me: Oh crap, I'm a wanted man.  Can I stealth out?  (Rolls another natural 20).  By the time the guards arrive, you are already long gone, disappearing as suddenly as you arrived.

(Later, we were walking along a path that has had multiple traps.  Our dwarf ranger has already failed two dexterity saves).  Me: Why don't I take front?  I've got better stats than you on this.  GM: Make a dexterity save.  Me: (Rolls a 1).  Oh come on!

Is thinking the dice hate you a cliche?

Got separated from the group, got cornered by three thugs.  Tried to persuade, intimidate, do two sleight of hand checks, and stealth my way out.  Out of five rolls, I rolled nothing higher than a 4.  Even on my stealth, which I have a +7 bonus to, I rolled a one (which really made me cringe when I found out that I only needed a three or better to pass it).  Can you guys guess how well a level one rogue solo'ing three fighters went?  About as well as you expect.  The only reason William's still with the group is the DM let me death roll when they dumped my body in the river, on which I got a natural 20.

9 minutes ago, WhichOneIsWill said:

The only reason William's still with the group is the DM let me death roll when they dumped my body in the river, on which I got a natural 20.

Did the thugs take all your stuff? That sounds kind of harsh for a campaign. Is it suppose to be gritty or heroic?

1 hour ago, Chryses said:

Did the thugs take all your stuff? That sounds kind of harsh for a campaign. Is it suppose to be gritty or heroic?

Yup.  Though given my group is composed entirely of goody-two shoes and I wasn't the first one to enjoy the thugs' hospitality, I have a feeling I'll be getting it back.

No idea if gritty or heroic, it's Mines of Phandelver with a lot of custom elements since I keep finding ways to fudge the plot up (i.e. the tidal wave in the cave took off half our health since we all failed dex saves, so we decided to head into town early for a long rest).  It's my first campaign, so I have literally nothing to base it on.

EDIT: One of the guys was on our discord channel, and we leveled up at the end of saturday night/sunday morning but I had no idea how that worked so I waited.  Rolled for hitpoints instead of taking the safe route and got an 8 out of 8, so now the Rogue right now has the most hitpoints of anyone in the group.  I really don't know what to make of these dice, they keep dumping me in terrible situations and then bailing me out of them.

On 1/26/2016 at 8:56 PM, WhichOneIsWill said:

Is thinking the dice hate you a cliche?

Last session I played, which went on for something like 6 uninterrupted hours, I think I got a roll above 10 something like four times.  It's a good thing there was no combat, because I probably would have gotten someone killed.

If it's a cliche, it's probably because it legitimately happens often.

I've been messing around with this new game called Tavern Tales. It's on Kickstarter right now, but there's a free version of the rules available. It pretty much lets you create the character you want with a system of character themes and traits, instead of the ol' Class/Race.

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1413330144/tavern-tales
Rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0wtqgwwhywp6ad/1.01.pdf?dl=0

So the group has come to a consensus.  I'm never not going to use a bow, but I'm not allowed to make out of combat rolls either.  My good rolls only ever come when I'm shooting someone.

So I might have rolled an 8 on a d8 for my level up hitpoint increase, for the second time in a row.  I may or may not have a level 3 27-hitpoint thief.

I think I found where all my good rolls went.