Rexxie

Centurion AX and Why You Need One

So, the CAX is here, and I didn't see a thread to discuss it that wasn't based on the test server. I've only a few games in it, but it's definitely enough for me to get a good idea of what this tank is about. You guys know how much I like to complain, so I hope my praises for this tank mean something!

Now, why do you need a CAX? Because it's fantastic. It is exactly what you need in a support medium these days to remain competitive. It steals the good parts of the Leopard and sprinkles E-50M flavoring over all the bad parts - you keep that great mobility, gun depression, and view range, but you actually have armor and a reasonable chance of hitting without needing to aim. It does inherit the E-50M's shit camo and is somehow even larger, but that's basically all. It doesn't have the 4202's lack of HEAT, it doesn't have the Leo's bad gun handling or lack of armour, and it doesn't have the E-50M's anemic DPM or glass turret.

One thing I did notice is that this tank really benefits from crew skill. It has a lot of ways to get out of sight, but it lacks camo - Sixth Sense is hugely important, even moreso than most meds. The large tracks are going to get ripped up pretty often, so repairs are great. The camo is very poor, but if you have a camo crew you'll have a ton more leeway against high tier TDs and HTs - getting outspotted by a JT through a bush isn't much fun.

If you were a fan of tanks like the Leopard 1, but want something that hasn't been crippled by the metagame, grab the Centurion AX.

Recommended equipment/crew skills are the usual:

Commander: BIA, Sixth, Repairs, Camo

Gunner: BIA, Repairs, Camo, Snap Shot

Driver: BIA, Repairs, Camo, Clutch

Loader: BIA, Repairs, Sit Aware, Camo

VStab/Gun Rammer/Optics for a "normal" loadout

VStab/Gun Rammer/Vents for a richboy loadout, swapping your AFE for pudding.

TL;DR you guys have an ax to grind.

Honestly, the 4202's lousy gun handling meant that unless you could fully aim a shot, the HESH wasn't reliable enough to be worth it. If you were aiming long enough for it to be reliable, you probably could get the same damage output by just snapping off two easy unaimed APCR rounds instead. It made the ammo incredible niche and mostly for situations where it either didn't matter if the round screwed up or you absolutely needed the HESH damage.

It was fun to play around with, but the moment your CAX comes in contact with a E-100 and you stomp his turret face, you'll be thankful that HESH is gone.

It depends - how much do you want a T10? The T57 will be some fun for 30-40 games, but it's a bit of a dull tank after a while. The CAX will be fun for longer, but naturally the 8/9 are quite frustrating.

If you need a T10 for CW or just really want to try the tier, grab the T57.

Finally, the tank that we poor 4202 drivers deserve. The 4202 was my first ever tier X and I played around 140 games in it before I couldn't stand its mediocrity. Looks like the CAX will be a big incentive to jump on WoT more now!

Is the turret almost completely paper if the tank is not abusing its gun depression? 

31 minutes ago, prolix said:

Finally, the tank that we poor 4202 drivers deserve. The 4202 was my first ever tier X and I played around 140 games in it before I couldn't stand its mediocrity. Looks like the CAX will be a big incentive to jump on WoT more now!

Is the turret almost completely paper if the tank is not abusing its gun depression? 

It's not even close to a hovermed turret, but it's also not paper either. Considerably worse than the STB turret, especially on flat ground, but miles above stuff like the Pattons. This may be partially due to how new it is; the turret roof used to be very well armored, so if given the chance, people will still shoot the turret front even on flat ground. Im sure some months from now, the turret won't be considered as good.

I do want to mention that the turret isn't really the selling point of the tank, though - if you want a strong turret with -10 gun dep, you are still better off with the STB. The selling point, to me, is its flexing power.

32 minutes ago, zapyoug said:

How cancer resistant is the AX?

High arc cancer will annihilate you, the roof armor is trash. It's MUCH better off than the Leo, though - low arc or close range arty hits are very unlikely to actually pen it, as both the sides and front are pretty good.

Compared to the RUmeds, it still gets shit on.

33 minutes ago, Storm said:

is it better than the STB? I have a whole lot of free exp I converted a while back for the STB, but have done nothing with because inactivity.

To me they are about on par with each other. I'm currently enjoying my CAX more, as its strengths are slightly easier to abuse in a closer meta than the STB's camo. Both tanks are great buys though - both incredibly sexy, high DPM ridgefighters. Would be difficult to recommend one over the other without knowing your playstyle.

I have to say, I will severely miss my 4202. I dont care what anyone else says, It was a great tank, great fun, HESH was hilarious, and I loved it 

That being said, after 4 games in the Action X, this thing is absolutely amazing. Its glorious. Its a 105mm NATO tank that DOESN'T have shit handling. It also keeps the 4202s ability to accelarate extremely fast, but also has the much higher top speed, its MUCH more flexible than the 4202 ever was. 

Along with this, the turret isnt much better from what I have seen, but its not particularily bad. 

I have 2 issues with it currently: first, its rather tall. And second, and this is a major issue, if you get shot in the front left of the tank you WILL get Ammo racked. Like, 100% chance of your ammo rack being damaged. In the 4 games I played in it, I was ammo racked 5 times. Plus two training rooms. I might shove JOAT on the commander and swap the medkit for double repairs, its worse than the 907.

1 hour ago, Storm said:

is it better than the STB? I have a whole lot of free exp I converted a while back for the STB, but have done nothing with because inactivity.

The STB trades gun handling for DPM, personally I think that if you are getting more up close into enemy faces the STB is a better bet because it has a lower profile and a more reliable turret, but in a supporting role the Action X would work much better. 

STB is a better frontline brawler, AX is better at supporting. 

I played over 500 battles in my FV4202 and I've played the Centurion Action X in both the test server and the live servers, so I do think I have enough experience to validate what I'm going to be talking about. I'll be listing the pros and cons of both of the tanks before ultimately reaching my conclusion. 

FV4202

Pros: 

• Small profile
  • Decent power to weight ratio
  • Good rate of fire and overall damage per minute
  • Good gun depression, combined with the small profile makes for good abuse of hilly terrain
  • Strong and trollish upper front plate capable of bouncing premium rounds from tier 10 tank destroyers. 
  • Decent repair time for knocked out modules.
  • Can fire on the move with ease.
  • Decent camouflage ratings.

Cons: 

• Absolute garbage top speed which will cause the player to be behind other mediums and ultimately end up getting shot in the rear when trying to retreat.
  • No effective armor other than the upper front plate.
  • Very large commander's copula which is easy to hit at medium distances. 
  • No viable gold round.
  • No gun mantle. 
  • Flat area around the part of the turret where the gun is mounted.
  • Low top speed makes for a good artillery target. 

Action X Centurion

Pros: 

• Top speed comparable to that of Tier X Russian mediums. 
  • Good power to weight ratio, the only medium tank that defeats the Action X at hill climbing is probably the Bat Chat. 
  • Extremely good gun handling, rate of fire, and damage per minute. 
  • Good overall gun depression and elevation
  • Good overall frontal armor which can be trollish at times. 
  • Good overall mobility
  • Can fire on the move with ease 
  • HEAT rounds come with the L7A2. 
  • Thinner hull than the FV4202, can slide into smaller spaces. 

Cons: 

• Very tall profile, harder to execute a hull down position without exposing all of your turret as well as harder to avoid being shot while sitting behind rubble and so on. 
  • No effective armor other than the front of the turret and the hull.
  • Can not abuse the 18 degree sloped upper front plate.
  • Entire part of the turret above the hole in the turret where the gun slides in can be penetrated by the AP rounds of Tier 7 Tank Destroyers. 
  • Flat area around the part of the turret where the gun is mounted.
  • 210mm HESH rounds have been removed in favor of HEAT rounds. 
  • Large engine deck which is prone to artillery attacks. 
  • Camouflage is lacking.
  • Repair times for knocked out modules take nearly 50% longer than the FV4202.

Conclusion;

Overall, the Centurion Action X addresses a lot of problems that the FV4202 had, but it also creates a few unnecessary problems such as the large, tall profile which experienced FV4202 drivers like myself now have to adjust to. The FV4202 was a good tank in my opinion facing only two serious issues which were the lack of a viable premium round and the top speed. I'm comfortable to adjust to a new British Medium Tank, especially since it has that sexy thermal sleeve... mmmmmmmmm!! But what I'm really hyped for is the addition of the Chieftain MK. 6 (hopefully) next patch. I would consider myself a heavy-medium player and combining the frontal armor of a heavy tank with the agility of a medium tank seems right up my alley! 

18 minutes ago, Toasty_Kun said:

Cons: 

• Very tall profile, harder to execute a hull down position without exposing all of your turret as well as harder to avoid being shot while sitting behind rubble and so on. 
  • No effective armor other than the front of the turret and the hull.
  • Can not abuse the 18 degree sloped upper front plate.
  • 210mm HESH rounds have been removed in favor of HEAT rounds. 
  • Large engine deck which is prone to artillery attacks. 

Toasty, the font and font size is cancerous. Y U DO THIS?

Anyway, to address the cons listed:

• Tall profile: The counterargument to your point is that you have more positions where you can easily hull-down without adjusting your tank too much (unlike in the case of a lower profile one) and that might just minimise your exposure. 
  • No EA except hull and turret front: You don't play mediums for armour. The whole point of EA is abusable traits. And the tank allows you to turn your paper turret (on level ground) into a trolly one (when using gun dep). 
  • UFP: Weak but just might get some bounces when full extent of gun dep is used. I agree it's unreliable though. 
  • 210mm HESH rounds: Have always been unreliable as fuck. In a situation where you are aiming your shot anyway, there's often no difference between using the standard 100 pen HESH and the premium one (i.e. premium high-pen HESH will still get absorbed by tracks/spaced armour if you shoot the wrong zone). 
  • Large engine deck: Any med that gets clicked is most probably screwed anyway.