Sign in to follow this  
bathoz

Ranked Season 1 (well, two)

Blyskawica is now being sold in EU for all our try-harding needs. Feels good though dont have other high tier dd's to compare against. 7 gun volley with flat trajectory, long range slowish torpedoes, decent camo etc.

Btw there intresting article about how many games is needed to reach Legendary rank in in Heartstone, which happens to use relatively same kind of rank system as wows. Though not identical, in Heartstone ranks 25->5 has win streak system which gives extra stars and ranks 5->0 is pure win +1 star, lose -1 star system. In WoWS there is no win streak at lower ranks, and there is free star when getting new rank which helps lot with climbing. So would guess that in WoWs even 50% win rate would carry to rank 1 "decently" fast.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/2gkz9n/data_on_how_many_games_it_should_take_to_get_to/

Good lord I hate people. Lost 7 of 8 last night dropping from 3.75 to 4. So many people just giving themselves up and dying.

Do not start ranked late, you get stuck with terrible people who don'[t know how to play yet somehow still make rank 5.

Btw there intresting article about how many games is needed to reach Legendary rank in in Heartstone, which happens to use relatively same kind of rank system as wows. Though not identical, in Heartstone ranks 25->5 has win streak system which gives extra stars and ranks 5->0 is pure win +1 star, lose -1 star system. In WoWS there is no win streak at lower ranks, and there is free star when getting new rank which helps lot with climbing. So would guess that in WoWs even 50% win rate would carry to rank 1 "decently" fast.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/2gkz9n/data_on_how_many_games_it_should_take_to_get_to/

Honestly, the only thing those extra stars do is speed up the process (from 40 wins to 32 for r10->r1). They are not going to get anyone sub 50% to rank one. And if you have a constant 50.01% win-ratio you are going to get to r1 anyway, it is just going to take a lot of games.

Good lord I hate people. Lost 7 of 8 last night dropping from 3.75 to 4. So many people just giving themselves up and dying.

Do not start ranked late, you get stuck with terrible people who don'[t know how to play yet somehow still make rank 5.

You are aware that the lower the average skill of the ranked pubbies the easier it is to carry?

Seen a lot of ship and or ranked discussion here and on other places so I thought I should chip in. For the record I reached rank 1 after 168 battles and 56.5% wins. Overwhelming majority of those games where in the NC (since I mostly refused to take a t7) and it probably would have gone a lot quicker if that NC had not been stock..... In hindsight, I think NC is a decent ship for ranked but that the amagi is better.

Anyway, things I am afraid of in NC (based on what they do to me):

1: Fubuki and benson, in that order. Both are very good at stopping me from doing what I want and/or punishing mistakes. I see a lot of people praise the russians but to me, the only thing they can do to me is shoot me and, well, the line for that starts somewhere over there......

2: Cruisers. Yes really. The cruiser is the ultimate support ship in ranked and can easily turn a battle simply by allowing others to do there thing in safety. Couple that with high dpm and fire and you got a very potent force. This combined with there glass-cannon nature makes them prime targets for focus fire.

3: Carriers. There are very few of them in ranked but everytime they show up they change how battles are played. A good carrier is a godsend, a bad one is going to cost you the match like nothing else.

4: Battleships. Yes really. They can hurt like hell, but only if you do something stupid and an isolated or sniping bb can almost always be ignored while you deal with its team.

As for ranked in general, I think that a lot of people prioritizes damage and experience rather then winning (I know I did in the beginning). But damage and experience does not matter, winning does. And if you win 50% of your games you have hit your skill-cap, nothing else to it.

You are aware that the lower the average skill of the ranked pubbies the easier it is to carry?

I've carried many, many games in ranked. However, it doesn't stop pubbies from throwing away 200 point advantages or making god awful stupid plays that lose matches. Watching a DD sit outside of spotting range but within torpedo range on a motionless BB and start firing his guns is something that will haunt me for a long time.

I've carried many, many games in ranked. However, it doesn't stop pubbies from throwing away 200 point advantages or making god awful stupid plays that lose matches. Watching a DD sit outside of spotting range but within torpedo range on a motionless BB and start firing his guns is something that will haunt me for a long time.

You're definitely doing something wrong with a 47% WR over the last 100 battles in ranked. Without seeing you play I can't tell you what exactly is going wrong, but that's not a statistical anomaly. Your damage is reasonable but your average kills is pretty low (sub 1 kpg). My best guess is that you're leaving stuff alive that you hit hard but that limp away because no one finishes them.

I needed 102 games to get from rank 10 to 1. 92 of those were in the North Carolina with a 65% wr, and 10 in the Tirpitz at 50%. Avg. damage in the Tirpitz was higher than in the NC, 84k VS 71k, but the NC had a higher survivability rate at 50% vs the Tirp's 40%.
Being able to tank with the bow pointing straight at the enemy and only using the two forward turrets (with two thirds of its total firepower) in the NC is what made it my favorite. I'm currently unlocking the Amagi for next season, I haven't played it myself, but it seems to have more reliable guns. It can't bring as many to bear straight ahead though.

I used the Fuso almost exclusively to get from 15 (where I started, having played in the pilot season) to 10 (with one game in the Nurnberg, by mistake). Warships.today tells me I played 18 games at 83% wr in the Fuso, but I know some of those are from the polit season. I only lost one game in it this season. The only other game I lost before reaching rank 10 was the one where I entered ranked in my Nurnberg by mistake. Carrying in the Fuso was too easy, it's simply OP when tier 6 is max. Next season they should go back to tier 6 and 7 rather than 5 and 6, at least for the first ranks.

I agree with most of what Jem said, but I never had any fear of Carriers. They made life harder for DD's, which made life easier for me. Same with cruisers.
Most games did not have carriers though, and when I did get a game with CV's in it, the one on my team was often too dumb to appreciate how important it was for him to keep targets spotted. In my very last game before getting rank 1 I landed some solid hits on the enemy Lexington, but our CV failed to keep him lit, and it went dark and ran away - with less than 1k HP remaining. We still won by a very slight margin.

You're definitely doing something wrong with a 47% WR over the last 100 battles in ranked. Without seeing you play I can't tell you what exactly is going wrong, but that's not a statistical anomaly. Your damage is reasonable but your average kills is pretty low (sub 1 kpg). My best guess is that you're leaving stuff alive that you hit hard but that limp away because no one finishes them.

I won't lie - I play my Tirpitz a lot and I would often let ships go that were near health as to not waste a salvo on them.

I need to ensure I survive longer. My survival rate and my win rate are closely matched, especially in my Tirpitz.

That being said - check this out. I dealt with this a lot. Note to everyone: DO NOT START RANKED PLAY LATE IN THE SEASON

Edit: Video has a copyright issue and may not show up until YouTube removes the music. ugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JdBqI0mXrQ

I'm afraid the reason you lost that was because you weren't alive to fix the stupid pubbie errors. Stupid pubbies happen on both teams, but it's absolutely critical that you survive into the end game in order to make the game winning plays. They almost always happen late game rather than early game. 

I got to level 10 easily after a 6 game Nurnberg win streak, but was not able to string together enough wins to keep going before falling back in my Tirpitz.  I was grateful for all the nice gifts in the tier 5-6  part of ranked battles, and will definitely participate again in the next season.

My aggressive nature does poorly with survival, likely why I like BBs so much is they can be aggressive and live. The other ship types don't do so well when they attempt that.

This is exactly the issue I had early last season. The way to fix it is to play cautiously at the start of the match until you've either outright killed or disabled one or two of their light ships (preferably destroyers but cruisers are fine) and then steadily ramp your aggression level up. Watch iChase's stream archive from when he was playing a lot of ranked, he does it pretty well in the Tirpitz. This is the strategy I use when playing solo in randoms as well and it pays dividends.