FrankyMcShanky

Starship appreciation thread

The Starship made me smile before update 0.11.  Now it makes me giggle.  There's nothing like cruising around in tier 4 with almost 600 alpha and good gun handling.  

To be honest the Challenger I and most of the Western European line need to be shown some love..... The T-80 at equal tier has higher armor values, better mobility, and nearly twice the alpha damage than the Challenger I with nearly the same exact reloading speed. 

2 minutes ago, Toasty_Kun said:

To be honest the Challenger I and most of the Western European line need to be shown some love..... The T-80 at equal tier has higher armor values, better mobility, and nearly twice the alpha damage than the Challenger I with nearly the same exact reloading speed. 

Why does it matter?  If your not hitting weakspots or side armor in Tier 7 MBT's you're not doing damage.  Armor pen is totally irrelevant at the tier, the Chally has the accuracy to do that as well as anything else, its lack of mobility hurts it more than anything.

1 minute ago, FrankyMcShanky said:

Why does it matter?  If your not hitting weakspots or side armor in Tier 7 MBT's you're not doing damage.  Armor pen is totally irrelevant at the tier, the Chally has the accuracy to do that as well as anything else, its lack of mobility hurts it more than anything.

I totally agree with you there my friend, but I wanted to compare the Challenger I with the T-80 due to the fact that it's like a supercharged smaller version of the Challenger I with 750 alpha... :P

Honestly, I haven't played the Challenger 1 since the buff yesterday.  I just expect it to get over tuned because Chally drivers are generally shit lords.

1 minute ago, FrankyMcShanky said:

Honestly, I haven't played the Challenger 1 since the buff yesterday.  I just expect it to get over tuned because Chally drivers are generally shit lords.

I'm just driving a Challenger 1 right now because I'm fascinated with British history and I'm still waiting for wargaming to decide to implement their Chieftain Mark 6 that has been balanced and ready to go for at least a few months now. The Challenger I boasts good accuracy and armor but just about everything else is well.... horrible. Not to mention I'm sure that Obsidian Entertainment has made up completely fake armor values for the Challenger 2 given that the real armor values are classified and it'd probably seem 'overpowered'.

Just now, Toasty_Kun said:

I'm just driving a Challenger 1 right now because I'm fascinated with British history and I'm still waiting for wargaming to decide to implement their Chieftain Mark 6 that has been balanced and ready to go for at least a few months now. The Challenger I boasts good accuracy and armor but just about everything else is well.... horrible. Not to mention I'm sure that Obsidian Entertainment has made up completely fake armor values for the Challenger 2 given that the real armor values are classified and it'd probably seem 'overpowered'.

Don't get me wrong the Challenger 1 is a gorgeous tank.  The best looking one in my opinion.  It's just that it's unlocked so easily and skips tiers resulting in really mediocre drivers for the most part.  

Like I said though, the mobility hurts it  more than anything else imo.  Maneuverability is much more important in AW than in WoT.

3 minutes ago, FrankyMcShanky said:

Don't get me wrong the Challenger 1 is a gorgeous tank.  The best looking one in my opinion.  It's just that it's unlocked so easily and skips tiers resulting in really mediocre drivers for the most part.  

Like I said though, the mobility hurts it  more than anything else imo.  Maneuverability is much more important in AW than in WoT.

It is indeed gorgeous...

Oh right, I just figured out that the armor values for the Challenger I were also classified, meaning that they probably had to be generated or made up in one way or another for the model in game. 

6 hours ago, Toasty_Kun said:

Oh right, I just figured out that the armor values for the Challenger I were also classified, meaning that they probably had to be generated or made up in one way or another for the model in game. 

I actually like the fact that they have to make up the armor value's. Its should be easier for them to balance tanks. In Wot, they cant really change armor on "real" tanks because "historical accuracy".

2 hours ago, Toasty_Kun said:

Didn't you read the patch notes? Chally 1 is one of the most broken tanks in the game now, armor-wise. Side armor alone is over 400 due to modifiers, so even a completely flat side is impenetrable to tier 6 vehicles unless they get lucky. I'm already starting to see huge amounts of Challengers in the game, to the tune of 5-8 per team.

3 hours ago, FrankyMcShanky said:

All I wanted was to wax poetic about the joys of the Starship derp gun.  :feelsbad:

8524698.jpg

But i will pick one up, hopefully its better then the Sheridank, that thing makes me cry.

32 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

8524698.jpg

But i will pick one up, hopefully its better then the Sheridank, that thing makes me cry.

It is.  The Sheridan is the most disappointing tank ever.  It's about as fun as a hemorrhoid.

4 hours ago, Toasty_Kun said:

The armor values for most of the tier 9 and 10 MBT's will have to be made up by Obsidian. While they may publish some general information about them, pretty much all the countries that make modern MBT's consider the exact specifications of their armoring schemes to be classified information. The reason for this is that all modern MBT's are armored with composite armor. This is a sandwich of various materials that when combined offer protection many times greater then steel on its own. The exact composition of these sandwiches varies from tank to tank, and is what everyone is trying to keep secret from everyone else. If a country where to release the exact specifications for the sandwich use by their MBT's it wouldn't be to terribly hard to figure out exactly how effective it is, and thus how to negate it. Just as a general rule though most of the current generation of MBT's probably have frontal protection equivalent to 650mm - 850mm of RHA vs. kenetic energy rounds (APFSDS / Sabot), and 900mm - 1,200mm of RHA vs. shaped charge rounds (HEAT).

1 hour ago, FrankyMcShanky said:

It is.  The Sheridan is the most disappointing tank ever.  It's about as fun as a hemorrhoid.

Remember early alpha? Sheridan was the most OP tank in the game. Now it's one of the worst. Starship was just a worse Sheridan in every way back then. 

F

3 hours ago, Stridsvagn 74 said:

Remember early alpha? Sheridan was the most OP tank in the game. Now it's one of the worst. Starship was just a worse Sheridan in every way back then. 

F

I remember Circon streaming with the Sheridan back when it had APDSFS

49 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

I remember Circon streaming with the Sheridan back when it had APDSFS

Yeah.... they removed it because unhistorical, but thank god balance wise. 

8 hours ago, FrankyMcShanky said:

The Starship made me smile before update 0.11.  Now it makes me giggle.  There's nothing like cruising around in tier 4 with almost 600 alpha and good gun handling.  

Played one match. 4500 damage.

Just peekabooming in this thing is stupidly strong. As long as you can hide while you reload nothing else competes with the stupid alpha. And its not like the average pub team is filled with people who will charge in and gang bang you while you reload.

Just picked one of these up. I've only played it in PvE so far, but the tales of its hilarity are true.