Kilpanic

How do you not die immediately in the Aoba?

With its poor gunnery compared to its peers, let alone the higher-tier ships it is normally matched with, how does one accomplish anything in a ship that has to close to danger range to have an impact on the game? 

A little frustrated with my first tier 6 atm. 

9 hours ago, Crossfader said:

uninstall and go play something else will solve all your problems, worked for me.

Player asked for help and that's the best you can do?  That's official forum material right there and we're supposed are better than that here.

I enjoy my Aoba but it used to not be that way.  Fully upgraded, the Aoba can be a beast.  You are a support ship so don't wander off alone and use both your superior detect range (11.7 with camo is best for tier 5-7 cruisers) and your gun's accuracy. Get your hits in from 12 km and further back (and you will hit) and then turn and put distance between yourself and anyone who fires at you that isn't someone you can outgun.  Your torps are 10km range and quite powerful but only launch with a spread towards your stern.  you can launch to discourage others from following you when you evade. 

Thanks for asking, its what this forum is here for.

7 hours ago, Crossfader said:

uninstall and go play something else will solve all your problems, worked for me.

Fuck off. You were too salty to succeed, stop dumping on other peoples attempts to get better.

7 hours ago, Kilpanic said:

With its poor gunnery compared to its peers, let alone the higher-tier ships it is normally matched with, how does one accomplish anything in a ship that has to close to danger range to have an impact on the game? 

A little frustrated with my first tier 6 atm. 

The Aoba has some phenomenally good 8" guns (they're actually better than the ones on the mogami) so you need to keep them shooting all the time. Try to stay nose on as much as you can to bounce Cleveland AP and present a small target. Those four guns are pretty brutal when you can citadel any cruiser you can see with ease.

Your torps are good but don't rely on them. They're there for when you need them but trying to actively use them will get you dead. Throw some replays up and I'll take a look.

2 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

The Aoba has some phenomenally good 8" guns (they're actually better than the ones on the mogami) so you need to keep them shooting all the time. Try to stay nose on as much as you can to bounce Cleveland AP and present a small target. Those four guns are pretty brutal when you can citadel any cruiser you can see with ease.

I'm obviously not there skill-wise because while I'm on board with the idea that the Aoba's 203mm, 6 RPM guns sound cool, in practice I've been simply outshot by Clevelands and Nurnbergs. Part of the issue is definitely that I can't reliably hit a dodging cruiser outside 12km or so, but part of the problem is that the massive RoF advantage of the other two cruisers means that they are massively out-damaging me at every range. 

And that's the same-tier, same class matchup. Thus far in my limited experience all I can do vs. the Atlantas and Mogamis of the game is run and hide. 

How do folks hit maneuvering targets at range, anyway? I'm obviously missing something, because long-range fire seems completely random. I read that some folks read wakes and stack smoke, but I'm not seeing those on my client even with maxed-out graphics and a 24" monitor. I feel like there's a trick, and I'm just not in on it yet. 

The other trick the Aoba has up its sleeve is detection radius. If you find yourself in a situation where you can't hit the target or you're getting outshot from range it's perfectly fine to stop shooting and go dark before re engaging at a more favourable time.

I can't really say where your shooting is going wrong without seeing it in action really. I suspect you might not be compensating for the turn and landing shots inside it.

1 minute ago, Kilpanic said:

How long do ships stay lit once they are out of visual range? Is it basically the same system as WoT? 

Get Situation Awareness and you'll find out. Unlike WoT's Sixth Sense, it remains lit until you're no longer spotted.

IME, an alert cruiser player can dodge shots pretty easily at longer ranges, even if they're well aimed. If you run into one of those players, valid tactics are taking single turret shots, waiting until they're looking at another ship, or just shooting someone else.

1 minute ago, RichardNixon said:

IME, an alert cruiser player can dodge shots pretty easily at longer ranges, even if they're well aimed. If you run into one of those players, valid tactics are taking single turret shots, waiting until they're looking at another ship, or just shooting someone else.

So basically in a 1v1 against a competent player, just go dark and reset the engagement? I can do that; about the only thing I'm good at in this game is surviving, which is why it's been frustrating to suddenly be dying first in this boat. 

2 hours ago, Kilpanic said:

So basically in a 1v1 against a competent player, just go dark and reset the engagement? I can do that; about the only thing I'm good at in this game is surviving, which is why it's been frustrating to suddenly be dying first in this boat. 

Pretty much. If a good player does that to me a couple of times I'll generally engage someone else. Once you work out who the guds are on the other team you'll want to start trying to isolate them by killing off their teammates. Two good players fighting each other isn't a great strategy unless there's some critical factor in play (like capping or trying to pin a flank), since you're wasting your opportunity to create overmatch against the shitters elsewhere. 

On 11/21/2015, 9:58:17, Kilpanic said:

I'm obviously not there skill-wise because while I'm on board with the idea that the Aoba's 203mm, 6 RPM guns sound cool, in practice I've been simply outshot by Clevelands and Nurnbergs. Part of the issue is definitely that I can't reliably hit a dodging cruiser outside 12km or so, but part of the problem is that the massive RoF advantage of the other two cruisers means that they are massively out-damaging me at every range. 

And that's the same-tier, same class matchup. Thus far in my limited experience all I can do vs. the Atlantas and Mogamis of the game is run and hide. 

How do folks hit maneuvering targets at range, anyway? I'm obviously missing something, because long-range fire seems completely random. I read that some folks read wakes and stack smoke, but I'm not seeing those on my client even with maxed-out graphics and a 24" monitor. I feel like there's a trick, and I'm just not in on it yet. 

The range Aoba is most effective at is around 10km, though against BBs you want to be a bit further ifpossible.  Cleveland and Atlanta both have really poor engagement ranges, so as long as your 10km out you can fight them pretty safely. The shell arcs on those things are pretty bad beyond that, so they shouldn't be hitting you very much. If you're forced to fight at close range either try torping them (I don't really recommend this unless if you're like <3km already somehow) or hope they broad side and sink them in 2-3 AP salvos.  

Mogami is generally better at every engagement distance, though you have a shot at fighting them at like 12km where you can dodge and hope you hit their citadel.

You should definitely practice hitting things from 12-14km out, because that's a pretty common engagement distance at higher tiers.  Just remember, if you can't hit them from that distance when they're dodging, they probably can't hit you back either if you dodge too!

On 21.11.2015 at 3:58 PM, Kilpanic said:

De0finitely the same problems i am having with this ship; the dilemma seems always to be: either do some damage and get nuked the moment they notice you, or stay back and do nothing other than suppressive fire.

I really have no clue how it's possible to hit at those ranges.

Keep practicing your gunnery at medium ranges(10~15km.)  Don't salvo your guns unless you are 120% positive that's where the target will be; otherwise, spread out your shots to account for potential dodging paths the target will take, or if he might adjust speed.  A single citadel is worth more than three overpens, and a single hit is worth more than three misses.  You have crazy reload on 203mm guns, so you should be shooting often and primarily with AP.  On the flipside, make sure your shots COUNT.  Wait that extra couple seconds for that Yorck to keep doing his full roundabout turn until his broadside is exposed.

Be professional, be polite, have a plan to citadel every cruiser you meet.  You're not a crazed gunman like a Cleveland, you're an assassin.

On 9/15/2016 at 5:24 PM, Seraphil said:

Be professional, be polite, have a plan to citadel every cruiser you meet.  You're not a crazed gunman like a Cleveland, you're an assassin.

I see what you did there

I learned very quickly that it's totally not worth going broadside to swing that rear turret around to fire to the front, or to try and use your torps. That said, the mobility of the Aoba is fine enough that you can swivel the ship enough to bring that gun to bear, but otherwise, stay bow-on.

Also, when charging bow-on, abuse your WASD hax. Slow down and speed up intermittently to mess up incoming fire. Just beware of enemy torps.

11 hours ago, ThomChen114 said:

Also, when charging bow-on, abuse your WASD hax. Slow down and speed up intermittently to mess up incoming fire. Just beware of enemy torps.

If you are turning constantly and varying the magnitude of said turns, torpedos should really be a non-existent threat, as their lead indicator will be all sorts of wrong.

1 hour ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

If you are turning constantly and varying the magnitude of said turns, torpedos should really be a non-existent threat, as their lead indicator will be all sorts of wrong.

im on the Asia server, so im a bit paranoid at running into torpedoes from a certain Eurobeat (or his acolytes)

8 hours ago, ThomChen114 said:

im on the Asia server, so im a bit paranoid at running into torpedoes from a certain Eurobeat (or his acolytes)

Meh. I'm not worried about running into torps. With enough course variations I find its easy enough to avoid torps altogether, or just make a quick turn. In my BBs I tend to get hit by more plane torps than I do DD torps.

On 9/19/2016 at 6:58 PM, ThomChen114 said:

I see what you did there

I learned very quickly that it's totally not worth going broadside to swing that rear turret around to fire to the front, or to try and use your torps. That said, the mobility of the Aoba is fine enough that you can swivel the ship enough to bring that gun to bear, but otherwise, stay bow-on.

The trick with the rear turret is to keep it pointing in the general direction of a different fight than the one you're facing at that moment.  While you're waiting for your front guns to reload, swap targets to something in the firing arc of your rear turret, take a potshot, then go right back to focusing on the enemy in front of you.  You never know if that potshot ends up being a lucky penetration.

Because CAs are pretty fragile in the current meta I've taken to playing 'em like a little punk ass bitch; take a nice sheltered over watch position. Spam HE until a broadside target shows up. Switch to AP. If I get focused press 's' to slide completely behind island. Reposition once detection drops. Recommence shell spam. If it looks like ships want to push into my position I boldly runaway kiting as I go. I try to be mindful of ships that have the capability to one shot me and constantly check to see if they're aiming my way. If they shoot,  I take evasive maneuvers. Usually works out. ;) 

Of course this approach works best if your team doesn't immediately evaporate. lol