edger2020

Is WoT Dying?

11 hours ago, Embiggener said:

- Stop subjecting players to shit game mechanics simply because they solve other, unrelated problems.  Yeah, looking at you arty; the most direct solution to "hey, we need to lower our average match time, combat hard camping, and give gluestick eaters something to do to feel useful" literally amounting to randomly picking out tanks to smite on a single click basis.  This is the same sort of screwup that old school CounterStrike made with the sniper rifles and never effectively fixed, but WG did it intentionally out of laziness to solve something else.   There are plenty of other ways to make indirect fire rewarding and useful without turning it into a retard with a mallet waiting for you up in the sky and rendering large swathes of map space useless.

THAT!  ...Burning is too good for them...hanging is too good for them....they should be torn into little bitty pieces and buried ALIVE!....#artycancer

1 hour ago, edger2020 said:

Do you have idea how different is perception of the game between good and average player?

Well, I guess it can be compared to how a pilot with tens of thousands flight hours perceives flight vs opinion of someone who buys the cheapest seats and spends most of the flight knocked out because they drunk too much. If I had to ask about how plane x/y/z handles, what issues it has or how to land it without fuel - I'd rather ask the pilot. I guess that what's best for the top-end players is best for the community as a whole.

1 minute ago, orzel286 said:

Well, I guess it can be compared to how a pilot with tens of thousands flight hours perceives flight vs opinion of someone who buys the cheapest seats and spends most of the flight knocked out because they drunk too much. If I had to ask about how plane x/y/z handles, what issues it has or how to land it without fuel - I'd rather ask the pilot. I guess that what's best for the top-end players is best for the community as a whole.

You didnt understood me.

Joe Average of WoT do not have problems with arty, XVM focus, corridor maps etc...those problems hurt top 1%.

12 minutes ago, edger2020 said:

You didnt understood me.

Joe Average of WoT do not have problems with arty, XVM focus, corridor maps etc...those problems hurt top 1%.

Arty is a problem of the whole playerbase (except very red tomatoes). The top players suffer more, tho.

27 minutes ago, edger2020 said:

You didnt understood me.

So, ban the top 1%? I'd surely watch next wgl finals, teams of sub48%ers ftw! You know, if someone is not affected or can't see a problem it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'd say that if you catered to the "average" crowd, you'd end up with a pretty much broken game that wouldn't last long. You have to have someone who'd say this and that is imba and this game mechanic is broken and fix it, even though Joe Average might not care, see a problem or even enjoy his op tank/character/weapon/whatever.

Also: when you drive away the best, you pretty much lose the core of your community, best content creators, e-sport stars, etc. A game without community is, well, a dead game, even more so if it's a multiplayer one.

14 minutes ago, Dodge94HUN said:

Arty is a problem of the whole playerbase (except very red tomatoes). The top players suffer more, tho.

Lets not derail topic, but just to answer u:

I never heard any of my rl friends that play this game ever mention arty when we talk about WoT. For enemy arty they are just 1 of 15 targets, while you are the only one. Much bigger problem for them is, for example, WT E100 , because it will shrek em when they yolo around corner, or reworked 4502B because they still shoot lfp.

9 minutes ago, orzel286 said:

So, ban the top 1%? 

Who said anything about banning.

I am saying that balancing game is not easy as it seems, on one side u have top 1% with their needs, on other side u have casuals with their needs and you, as developer, need both.

3 minutes ago, edger2020 said:

Lets not derail topic, but just to answer u:

I never heard any of my rl friends that play this game ever mention arty when we talk about WoT. For enemy arty they are just 1 of 15 targets, while you are the only one. Much bigger problem for them is, for example, WT E100 , because it will shrek em when they yolo around corner, or reworked 4502B because they still shoot lfp.

I am saying that balancing game is not easy as it seems, on one side u have top 1% with their needs, on other side u have casuals with their needs and you, as developer, need both.

Yeah, we should not derail this topic, but still: my rl friends hate arty, too. I am freaking furious when a wanker shoots me. None of my friends are really good (1k WN8, and the other is 1,5k) but they like to play heavies, so it is kinda bad for them. Nowhere near as bad as for unicum players, but still.

Sorry for being offtopic. :cri:

7 hours ago, edger2020 said:

If you don't want to cater to top 1% you can ban them just as well. Broken game with imba elements will just drive any sane person away and the rest soon follows.

GAME BALANCE is just that - GAME BALANCE. While a pubbie might enjoy his op thing, in the long run it destroys the game. Strangely enough it's those best players that can most accurately indentify what's wrong.

Ask yourself this: if a typical pubbie doesn't give a shit/doesn't have a clue - why are devs (not just wg) patching/fixing/rebalancing things? Why not introduce totally retarded imba pwnwagon for average player to enjoy?

Random positive observation - looks like the new sounds and sound system will actually be pretty good.

.. So, at least we got that going for us.

So I get to hear a new sound when the glue eating, XVM sniping, deep red clicker one shots me. *yay* .

seriously though I do like the new sounds so far, a few streamers were testing them yesterday.

On 11/23/2015, 7:18:21, orzel286 said:

GAME BALANCE is just that - GAME BALANCE. While a pubbie might enjoy his op thing, in the long run it destroys the game. Strangely enough it's those best players that can most accurately indentify what's wrong.

Yes it does, thats why WG balances stuff, though very slow.

Let me give 3 examples:

1) Do you remember 2011 arty, it was 2 times more powerful than today - shooting full speed Batchat was not matter of rng. It was so popular with pubies that you had 10 of them and only 5 tanks in battle, so WG shrekt it.

2) Hellcat, it was so OP that even 45%ers had 50% wins with it, it also got shrekt

3) E 25, Op unless played by complete turd, got removed from shop.

On 11/23/2015, 7:18:21, orzel286 said:

Ask yourself this: if a typical pubbie doesn't give a shit/doesn't have a clue - why are devs (not just wg) patching/fixing/rebalancing things? Why not introduce totally retarded imba pwnwagon for average player to enjoy?

Because why would anyone invest money to get E100 when he can pwn everything with Hellcat.

How do ppl do so well in the E25? Is it's opness in its camo/scouting ability or annoyance factor because he E25 is terrible at dealing damage.

1 minute ago, Goldflag said:

How do ppl do so well in the E25? Is it's opness in its camo/scouting ability or annoyance factor because he E25 is terrible at dealing damage.

First, you have limited mm, that means you never see t9, also many people have shit crews in t8 and below, while you can use 4 skill crew from t10.

It have amazing cammo, you can shoot a lot unspotted.

It is really fast so you can flex map or take key positions easy.

And if by 'shit at dealing dmg' you mean low pen, simply press 2.

2 hours ago, Goldflag said:

Server lag and a tiny hit box. I've seen E-25's wander through fields of fire that would have turned any other tank into Swiss cheese - the server just doesn't seem to recognize half of the shells that hit it.

It's just covered with senseless auto bounce angles, plus the mantlet is enough to stop 150 pen pretty often. All around the mantlet and the upper sides there are auto zones, combine that with the small size and it's just a pile of bullshit survivability. 20 degree auto bounce is intended to make Soviet tanks superior, not Germans.

3 hours ago, edger2020 said:

You have some evidence of that?

Besides screenshots of shell tracks going in through the hull and out the other side? I've blown plenty of holes in the landscape with shells that had to pass through the E-25 to get there, thanks to the game's issues with high-speed tanks on high-lag servers.

The E-25's low hit box also interacts oddly with ground features, and many low-angle shots will clip a ground texture even if they look to have a clear path to that part of target (thus the dirt plumes coming from what look to be obvious hits to the metal bit). The EMC has an even smaller hit box, but for some reason it rides higher up and the tracks are much easier to shoot out even at high speeds.

On 12/2/2015, 10:25:42, Jesse_the_Scout said:

It's just covered with senseless auto bounce angles, plus the mantlet is enough to stop 150 pen pretty often. All around the mantlet and the upper sides there are auto zones, combine that with the small size and it's just a pile of bullshit survivability. 20 degree auto bounce is intended to make Soviet tanks superior, not Germans.

Yes, it's quite funny that I still remember when I started playing the game and didn't care to check any armor values or anything I always thought that E25 has really good armor. :) It just seemed to bounce so much and I was wondering how something this small can have so much armor. Can't really remember what tanks I was playing, probably Hellcat and Cromwell or other T6s. 

I pondered on it for some time, but I finally decided to give this game my last try. After all, despite all the shitty games I had, all those pool games, tarczay padding, baddie stomping and su-122-44 pwnage was just delightful fun. And it's one of the few competitive games (well, semi-competitive...) that I don't suck at.

WoT sucks. But it's also fun, when it works, when stuff click  -you're just having great time, blowing baddies up and piling up achievements.

And it doesn't have to die. If WG ever decides to put a WoT 2.0 on the market while keeping the old database up, it will quickly spring back to what it was when it peaked in 2014. I'm sure by now even idiots from WG noticed that adamant stance on stuff like arty doesn't work. Maybe they'll notice the benefits of migrating onto a better platfrom, with a better engine one day. Preferably with better employees, not random vodka-drinking self centered asshats. Yeah, that would work.

Personally? if shit goes even further south, I can always push to get 260, then ebay the account for some buck. Without 260 or T22sr, I won't get much of my cash invested in WoT back, but with those things... who knows. I may even turn a profit, lol.

On 22/11/2015, 10:34:10, Tupinambis said:

idk, I think its more "stagnating" than truly dying.

This game's biggest problem, by far, is the total buttfuck disaster that is low tiers. All of the very worst problems with this game are set to 11 at tiers 1-4. They have the worst balanced tanks in the game, the worst tanks in the game overall, the MM spreads are truly abysmal and actually warrant +-1MM, the spotting system sucks way worse there than at medium and high tiers, and premium ammo actually does become a serious P2W issue.

I'm not surprised that tons of people leave before they reach tier 5 [as WG implied a long time ago]. The game itself is uselessly uninformative about how the game mechanics work. Nowhere is it actually explained what the fuck a "scout" tank is, so then a new player might easily end up with some disaster like the M5 Stuart or Pz38NA. etc etc etc.

Yeah WG hit paydirt with the initial creation and ideas.  But it feels like for everything else they have no idea. Rampage, Historical Battles, Clan Wars.  They just keep fucking up over and over.  I don't know who the fuck they are listening to. But from the posts SS has made I think WG infighting with their own big ego shithead department heads might be the downfall of the game unless someone stands up and starts busting some fucking balls over there.  Just because you have the market cornered for a while doesn't make you immune from criticism.

On 21/11/2015, 23:34:10, Tupinambis said:

I'm not surprised that tons of people leave before they reach tier 5 [as WG implied a long time ago]. The game itself is uselessly uninformative about how the game mechanics work. Nowhere is it actually explained what the fuck a "scout" tank is, so then a new player might easily end up with some disaster like the M5 Stuart or Pz38NA. etc etc etc.

This game would do better if more players would reach upper tiers where everything doesn't suck horribly. As it is, its like WG is putting all of their worst, shittiest products on the window display for people to look at, and then not bother trying while all of their actual good stuff is hidden in the back.

I have always thought that offering some sort of fast track starter kit you could buy that got you to tier 5 in a few lines would be a good idea. 

Lower tiers are truly crap.

Basically they should want to retain new players longer, get old players back and keep the veterans still playing from becoming jaded.

To retain new players for longer the biggest changes to do that IMO would be 

- Sort out low tier balance and maps, T18 change and bad MM for the sealclubbers are an example but they need to do more. 

- Introduce more tutorial and learning tools to the game.

- a softer environment to do some grinding in, i.e. basically PVE mode. 

- +1/-1 MM would be the biggest change (it would also I think get players back) it's the single biggest complaint from newer players, they hate it and it's retarded IMO in a competitive multiplayer to have such disparity between classes or set ups of players. People want fair matches, being in a tier 4 getting yolo stomped by a tier 6 puts a lot of people off.

To get the old players back and keep the veterans going, well biggest changes would be 

- Again +1/-1, people could properly enjoy their lower tier tanks and the majority of the playerbase still plays around 6-8. You spread the playerbase around more as well. 

- Arty, just change it already, I reckon a move to a similar to AW arty would bring a lot of people back in an instant. It's like the biggest complaint and has been so for years. 

-  Gold ammo, again another big complaint, a simple re-balance would please many.

- XVM, needs to go from games, all the shitters asking for their skilled based MM would shut up because they'd have no idea how well balanced the teams are, a huge majority of the shit in chat would go, good players wouldn't get yoloe'd or reported for just playing, players wouldn't give up from the word go because XVM has told them it's a 40% chance to win.

- Maps, they need to be better, bring all tanks into play, be a bit bigger.

Thing is I agree with XENA, there are some good changes there, maps like Overlord shows the map department can actually make a decent map, removal of the Waffle E100 and new tanks like the Centurion AX shows the balance department can actually do balance changes.  But too often it's one step forward two back and the good changes are too slow, the rushed penetration nerfs, the emblem changes, the horribly balanced Jap heavies that go from terribly OP to just terrible, the constant bundles for crap premiums, the no arty change, the Chieftain mess.

According to WG 2016 is supposed to be year of the fixing, so I think it will be make or break for the game.

I also don't understand why WG scheduled the current GOLD League starting the same day as the campaign. They wanted to try tier 10 to attract more viewers and get more diversity with tanks ect and then they start it in the busiest period for any above average wot player.

Wot is a love-hate relationship i guess. I've wanted to quit so many times but this whole layout of being able to play a match that roughly lasts 8 minutes and then do whater the fuck i want rather than being tied for half an hour (think dota/lol) or even an hour (csgo match) is so damn good

my complaints are several - the removal of enjoyable maps - eg Province , Pearl River - the introduction of awful ones eg - Mittengard ( a shot em up joke )

saying Chieftain is coming - then nothing - and no news - that really annoys people

another huge annoyance is when your heavy's camp at the base , like Malinovka - in Tier 10's - like IS-7 and FV215b 183's who need to be really close

and you are in a tier 8 tank trying to slug it out at the hill - the player base is either really bad or really good for your team - rarely 50/50

my complaints are several - the removal of enjoyable maps - eg Province

Come on, Provence was a legitimately degenerate, awful map. I had my fun in the FCM Pak 40, but claiming the map is 'enjoyable' for the majority of players is a completely indefensible position.

Wot is a love-hate relationship i guess. I've wanted to quit so many times but this whole layout of being able to play a match that roughly lasts 8 minutes and then do whater the fuck i want rather than being tied for half an hour (think dota/lol) or even an hour (csgo match) is so damn good

Devs stated that it is one of the reasons of WoT success.