weesh

User friendly computer for non-gaming senior citizen

Trying to help a friend who has minimal computer requirements get a good deal on a simple and reliable computer.

She wants a Desktop (no mobility requirement)
It needs to have a DVD drive (for watching movies)
Will need new mouse, keyboard (old are PS2, lol)
Would like a monitor with built in speakers.
Economical price (I believe we'd go up to $700 for everything, but would be thrilled with a much cheaper PC)

Been perusing newegg, and all the windows 10 computers have a small number of reviews, which makes me nervous.  

10 minutes ago, weesh said:

no. 

How come? When buying from mainstream retail brands they give you all this bloatware and crap you dont need and cant get rid of on the OS

Just now, Assassin7 said:

How come?

because if something goes wrong, I have to go somewhere to work on it.  it won't be in my house.  

I want as simple as possible for someone else's rig.  

21 minutes ago, weesh said:

because if something goes wrong, I have to go somewhere to work on it.  it won't be in my house.  

If that is the case, then consider my opinions on this:

Dont get an All in One, get something with a proper case. All in ones are pretty crap, run hot, and are basically giant laptops. 

For Brands, I frankly wouldnt touch HP or Accer, HP is supposed to be the "premium best consumer brand" or something, but I have heard nothing but bad things from HP PCs in the last 5 years, also lots of bloatware, Norton and shit (if you get something and it comes with Norton, dont even bother, get rid of it, nuke it from the HDD, make sure there is no trace of it as it WILL destroy the PC, my grandmother got a new PC, it came with a free trial of norton, she installed it, it completely and utterly destroyed it from the inside, it made EVERYTHING locked completely down in bubble wrap and shit, made a 2 month old PC slower than her old one, and I couldnt even get rid of it. She took the computer back, got a refund, and a new one)

I would suggest an ASUS, or Lenovo, possibly Dell (Last week I went out and helped my dad look for a new laptop, chose an ASUS for him)

For specs, minimum requirements, I would go for at least 4GB RAM, and possibly a standalone GPU. It doesnt need to be powerful all, but just having a GPU will make streaming movies better AND it will allow the CPU to not have to do everything on its own and make the PC a bit faster

3 hours ago, weesh said:

if my experience with my grand parents is anything to go on, shit will go wrong even if you buy it pre-built or not

For mainstream stuff, best value is going to be Dell Outlet with a coupon. Would also look at Lenova. PC should end up being $300 or less on sale. A decent monitor with speakers will be harder to find so you might be better off with a basic 22 or 27 1080p monitor ($100-$200) and an add on speaker bar ($30) if they want to preserve desktop space.

edit: I would seriously consider win 10 and a touchscreen monitor for a senior citizen, especially if they dont have extensive PC experience.

http://www.amazon.com/M32CD-Desktop-Windows-Keyboard-Mouse/dp/B014QVM2KO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

These pc's don't looks that bad at all, for $400 that's pretty good hardware. Comes with keyboard & mouse and all you would have to look for is a screen which a nice one would run you $100-150.

edit: Look like you can get it with a 23.8" Acer Monitor for $529.99

29 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

If that is the case, then consider my opinions on this:

Dont get an All in One, get something with a proper case. All in ones are pretty crap, run hot, and are basically giant laptops. 

For Brands, I frankly wouldnt touch HP or Accer, HP is supposed to be the "premium best consumer brand" or something, but I have heard nothing but bad things from HP PCs in the last 5 years, also lots of bloatware, Norton and shit (if you get something and it comes with Norton, dont even bother, get rid of it, nuke it from the HDD, make sure there is no trace of it as it WILL destroy the PC, my grandmother got a new PC, it came with a free trial of norton, she installed it, it completely and utterly destroyed it from the inside, it made EVERYTHING locked completely down in bubble wrap and shit, made a 2 month old PC slower than her old one, and I couldnt even get rid of it. She took the computer back, got a refund, and a new one)

I would suggest an ASUS, or Lenovo, possibly Dell (Last week I went out and helped my dad look for a new laptop, chose an ASUS for him)

For specs, minimum requirements, I would go for at least 4GB RAM, and possibly a standalone GPU. It doesnt need to be powerful all, but just having a GPU will make streaming movies better AND it will allow the CPU to not have to do everything on its own and make the PC a bit faster

Can confirm HP is fucking trash

my "bad" labtop is an HP and it is just horrible

it overheats even when running idle, no video card, it has all these horrible shitty hotkeys on the side of the keyboard specifically bound to windows live and shit (I ripped them out because they were such a fucking pain. Windows live crashes the computer if it boots when tanks is running)

and it came with fucking windows live & windows live games.

:frenchy:

buy parts somewhere that assembles it for you

that means you don't have to go anywhere along with prices being lower and can tailor the needs

Assassin is right though, buy cheap essentials with a dedicated GPU because CPU's don't like rendering HD movies

Having a GPU will probably increase the lifespan of that CPU by a bit too, so the cost will probably earn itself back in lifespan

Asus has some good monitors with speakers that produce allright sound, should work well enough. Keyboard and mouse I assume just needs to work rather than be comfy/precise?

I have a Lenovo, and the computer itself is superb; its well built, good looking, and structurally reliable. I find that the computer has totally shit software so the great hardware can't perform to its full potential though. It's a big shame because the computers are very very well built. Asus is very good from what I've seen, even for cheap models. HP is trash. Toshiba is Japanese so it can't be too bad because of Japanese reliability and quality (ppl seem to dislike it though). The Korean brands appear to be pretty decent.

You probably don't want to generalize brands too much because it mostly comes down to the computer model but generally Lenovo is good hardware/trash software, Dell is good all-around choice, ASUS is good, but is a bit lacking in terms of reliability like Lenovo (cuz both are from China. Yes Taiwan is part of China), Japanese brands are very reliable but aren't too impressive, and HP obviously is useless overheating lead plastic pieces of shit that come bloated with useless software.

I've already had good personal experiences with Lenovo and Dell, but I'll add ASUS to my search.  

She uses it for word processing, email and google, and can make all of those work already.

However, she had IE8 and about 4 toolbars which I removed.  

I'm not concerned about top performance, since her use is not resource intensive.

Thanks everyone!

49 minutes ago, Goldflag said:

You probably don't want to generalize brands too much because it mostly comes down to the computer model but generally Lenovo is good hardware/trash software, Dell is good all-around choice, ASUS is good, but is a bit lacking in terms of reliability like Lenovo (cuz both are from China. Yes Taiwan is part of China), Japanese brands are very reliable but aren't too impressive, and HP obviously is useless overheating lead plastic pieces of shit that come bloated with useless software.

I dunno, most HPs I have seen in the last 5 years are absolutely garbage. a friend had an HP laptop, destroyed itself within a year. Brother of that friend had an HP all in One, was supposed to be fairly powerful, wasn't. was crap, ran hot as hell, became completely clogged with bloatware and was slow as all hell until he got a new ASUS Laptop this year.  We had an HP laptop because mum got it cheap with Work, completely destroyed itself the exact same way my friends HP laptop did, they were even completely different models.

my Grandmothers Aforementioned PC that she took back was HP, norton destroyed that. she got a new HP all in One, its the same story with my friends HP all in one, specs say its fairly good, but its slow as all fucking hell for some reason. technically its more powerful than my PC was before I upgraded it, except it doesn't play things like it. 

I suggested ASUS because I have Several ASUS things, my Motherboard is ASUS, I have an ASUS Wi-fi Adapter which is AMAZING! and because ASUS make proper gaming components I trust them to make a good PC, the PC I got my father is an ASUS, I did heavy research into it and it has minimal bloatware, no shitty Norton or Mcaffee that says "hi, you should try this shit man its dope" which turns out to destroy the PC in the same way drugs destroy a person, has good all round specs and good build quality (both the HP laptops had the Hinges break within 8 months)

also HPs are designed in such a way that you can't do anything to them, because Motherboards/BIOSes/cases dont support it. I went to upgrade a friends old HP desktop, which had a normal tower case and everything, opened it up, ONE RAM slot. lol, no PCI-E slots either. 

4 minutes ago, weesh said:

wait, you don't like McAfee?  What do you recommend?  (I agree norton is the devil)

Mcaffee is Similar to Norton, but not as bad.

frankly you could just use MS security essentials and Malwarebytes. at most you could get AVG or Avast.

Should be, a friend uses it and it works. 

but honestly on my own PC I just use Windows defender and Malwarebytes. if you NEED something that costs money Eset Smart security is pretty good, not over protective, or over expensive, or hogging of system resources (Trend Micro is also good, but is over expensive and hogs resources)

2 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

Should be...

I'd be hesitant to recommend it to the type of person who ends up with 4 toolbars on their IE8.  They click "yes" too much.  

44 minutes ago, weesh said:

I'd be hesitant to recommend it to the type of person who ends up with 4 toolbars on their IE8.  They click "yes" too much.  

Then I would go for Eset

5 hours ago, weesh said:

i liked AVG when I was broke.
do you consider the free version good enough?

Avast + Adblock + NoScript

make a backup after you setup the system and removed bloatware. If brain.exe isn't up to the task the problem will remain though and you ll find the PC full of all kinds of shit within 6 months.

Regarding the hardware - invest into an SSD. 250-500GB will be probably all she needs and if everything is on an SSD, the gradual slowdown of the PC will be much less noticable. You might be able to use the HDD from the old system as the backup medium.

Edit:

Also set up 1-2 training lessons for installing programs. Nowdays when I install Avast Anti Virus for example, it also wants to install Chrome. Go through a few setups with her using advanced/user defined setup and show her how to do it properly without getting all the junk she doesnt want.

Why are you guys even discussing the software side? Just nuke the HDD, reinstall OS (I'd go for Win7, BTW), and you're good to go without any shit on it. 

Regarding the AV software:

- Browser add-ons (no script and an ad blocker)

- Brain.exe

- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for regular (daily?) scans

Nothing else is ever needed and a waste of resources and in the worst case money.