andepans

Everyone Has a Price

The last two weeks have seen the rise and fall of what is undoubtedly the largest cheating scandal in the history of WOT. Across clan, language, skill, and any other player divides, the tanks players have united to plunge themselves into a massive and shameless conspiracy to rig T-22 missions.

The point of this thread will be to examine the factors that contributed to the precipitous decay of respect for the rules and for each other in the vain quest for a somewhat average pixeltank. This thread is not for praising those who abstained from cheating, as though that were an accomplishment, nor is it to shame any alleged mission riggers. Except for NeverLucky, who, while not unique among the hundreds of mission riggers I came across, distinguished himself by somehow missing the bloated TS channel full of coded names with which we have unfortunately become accustomed, then proceeded to our scrim room and drunkenly berated those present. You are the worst person.

1. The Process

In a scene from the tinfoil hatted pubbie's greatest nightmare, hundreds, if not thousands, of top players have congregated in TS channels in a rigging scheme involving networks of platoon count-ins and cross-team collusion. When platoon count-ins fail to secure a quorum of riggers, the entire platoon network simply exits the battle and tries again. Combined with low server population in rampage/domination, platoon networks effectively eliminate pubbie interference to fulfill any number of difficult missions.

2. But Why?

In conversation with several top players involved in this cheating scheme and other less-well organized mission rigging, I have heard numerous rationalizations for the behavior. Every single one of them boils down to "Wargaming Owes Me Easier Missions."

a. "Wargaming Owes Us," or how players forgot about KingAlphyn:

Some players believe Wargaming owes the playerbase more easily-fulfilled missions and see the T-22 as a broken contract between WG and the players. But if this were true we would expect to see widespread support for irrational beliefs about what WG owes us in other areas as well. For example, is illegal mod use acceptable if I really hate the vanilla GUI? Doesn't anyone remember that guy who really didn't like the stronghold boxes system?

There is more than one way to be competitive, and choosing your battles wisely seems to me to be a way to win more and increase the net communal benefit (see OP analysis). Right now, this is the most beneficial strategy for those of us on the bottom of the pile. We adapted within the constraints of the mechanics, and now it's your turn to adapt in turn by whatever means you care to, brosephs.

- Worst enemy 2014 / Voice of reason 2015.

b. "If I Don't Rig Now, I'll Never Get the Tank," or another way to say I am not good enough.

Some players believe that the lower server population of NA (esp. USW) will result in a death spiral for the T-22 missions. As fewer players rig, pubbies will have to wait longer and longer for matches until they lose interest and the mode becomes uninhabited, dampening a non-riggers long-term mission prospects. But the game is going to die in 2-4 years anyways. How do you distinguish this belief from some dumb warpacking pubbie who wants to get overall green WN8 before the game dies and can only play a few times per week? 

c. "I Can't Do the Missions but I Need Every Tank."

Some players are only here because they want to collect tanks and playing World of Tanks seems like an okay way to pass the time as they improve their collection. WG seems to have realized this by releasing a sequence of useless and expensive premiums but has bucked their own trend with T-22. Perhaps stranger than the community-wide cheating scandal is the mystery of why this tank was offered at all, given WG's penchant for arbitrarily hiding "completed" tanks from the public (Chieftain, 121B, T95E6, etc.)

3. Conclusions

The last two weeks have laid bare how willing we are to cheat for a pixeltank prize. They have also soured friendships and exposed not only the irrational rage you might expect from a game populated by young men, but also a near universal hypocrisy among top players. I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why the unicums cheating to get a T-22 are anything but a fractal view of the useless pubbies cheating to improve their stronghold. I expect a great many of you to disagree both with the extent of the cheating as I have explained it and the rationales I have given. I look forward to reading your responses.

>somewhat average pixeltank

Yeah, ok.

EDIT:

I think the most common reasoning behind rigging the missions, besides it being easier than trying to get them legitimately, is both the uncertainty that there will be enough time to do so and that it may take a very long time anyway. This much faster, easier and surer option is, as a result, very attractive, why take the risk or put the time in when the alternative is so much... cheaper?

Personally, I don't blame anyone for exploiting the system. I'd do it myself if I gave a damn. There are plenty of other, more specific reasons that they might pursue it, but it just comes down to the 'costs' associated. If you lived in a Communist country, and there existed opportunities to participate in black market activities that'd earn you much more for your time than some government provided job could alone, and it would improve your quality of life despite being illegally, what would you do? Its an odd comparison, but a valid one. You could also compare it to working under the table or buying/selling cigarettes illegal in this country. The point is, its no fun following dumb laws. Life's kind of short after all, given the benefits, and the comparatively low risks, why not make the most of it? 

I think it applies even more so to this instance. Its a game, an arguably dumb game. Of course, we enjoy it, but its still just a game, and anything earned in the game is only worth what entertainment we get out of it... nothing else. In other words, its not worth very much. So why spend hours upon hours grinding for it? I'd rather just not have the tank at all.

Who the fuck cares about the rigging on the NA server.  It's an above average tank that can only be obtained through a gamemode that requires the server population of the RU server to do it honestly.  Unicums don't play that game mode anyway "for fun" we want the tank then we're done with that mode.

Besides the tank is still easy to kill........if you're not incompetent that is.

I think that most people (or at least the way I) see the game now as Wargaming vs. pubbies vs. good players. Most of the time, pubbies and good players have polar opposite motives, objectives, agendas, ect. Pubbies see good players as unsportsmanlike, "chai sniping", not helping the team, hacking, ect. Good players see pubbies as incompetent, idiots, retards, ect.

When I think of a typical pubbie, I see a orange/yellow player who thinks the game is lost within the first minute, dies within the second minute, and proceed to reprimand the team for being "noobs and idiots". God forbid if you bring up stats at all, the pubbie will say "stats don't mean anything" and "I play for fun".

Now seems to me the only good players left playing are done grinding, tired of bullshit, and want to have fun. Using pubbie logic, they will get and play the T-22 god damnit, in any way possible, and will have their share of "fun"

I would love to see a clan or group of shitters who get caught rigging though. I can hear their excuses already: "We are only try to stay competitive and can't because the game is rigged against us." "We aren't going to let the rich get richer like those purple top 10 clans"

Is that a typical reaction Hudstr22?

There's plenty of advice on this very forum to use pubbies as meatshields, funny they might find that annoying or insensitive.

You don't think a team with 10 orange players on it has lost from the start, especially if there's a competent platoon on the opposition?  Because I've seen NAE populated by oranges since the summer and we're back to the days where the better player pool seems smaller and you're either on the blue/purple platoon team or you're not.  Easy win or easy loss.

Last paragraph is bizarre and typical of a subsection of players on this forum that were ecstatic to use XVM to get a leg up on their competitors but hated it when it became mainstream and they got targeted.  Sectioning off prizes for people that hit certain goals in cw, different forms of play, different games for that matter will always see the better players club together to ensure they get those prizes.

Should "shitters" do so or players perceived to be undeserving - I'm thinking Goonswarm during their first incursions into EVE, then the elite, a la BoB at the time, react in very similar ways.  At least the T22 is open to all that want to attempt it, not to a few hundred of the game's best players.

Posting quality and levels of smugness on this forum have gone in opposite directions recently.

the t22 might be the strongest RU hovermed in the game

and the only way to get it is through rigging basically

the domination missions especially are borderline impossible and ques dont exist unless you have other people count in with you

sooooo

I crie evrytim

unfair planes?

32 minutes ago, Dead_Baron said:

There's plenty of advice on this very forum to use pubbies as meatshields, funny they might find that annoying or insensitive.

You don't think a team with 10 orange players on it has lost from the start, especially if there's a competent platoon on the opposition?  Because I've seen NAE populated by oranges since the summer and we're back to the days where the better player pool seems smaller and you're either on the blue/purple platoon team or you're not.  Easy win or easy loss.

Last paragraph is bizarre and typical of a subsection of players on this forum that were ecstatic to use XVM to get a leg up on their competitors but hated it when it became mainstream and they got targeted.  Sectioning off prizes for people that hit certain goals in cw, different forms of play, different games for that matter will always see the better players club together to ensure they get those prizes.

Should "shitters" do so or players perceived to be undeserving - I'm thinking Goonswarm during their first incursions into EVE, then the elite, a la BoB at the time, react in very similar ways.  At least the T22 is open to all that want to attempt it, not to a few hundred of the game's best players.

Posting quality and levels of smugness on this forum have gone in opposite directions recently.

Clearly your posting quality has gone down friend because I read this post 5 times over and it made no fucking sense at all.  Maybe it's the 5 days of no sleep so far but jesus what is your argument?  That pubbies hate unicums because we use them? Or are you angry at unicums/blunicums on this forum because they flat out say "use pubbies" and "abuse them" to get the win?

38 minutes ago, Dead_Baron said:

538.jpg

It is pretty simple:

- This is the second not exactly well balanced tier 10 tank WG is handing out through missions with ridiculous requirements

- They already showed with 260 missions that you get a slap on the wrist if you get reported

- Trying to fulfill those missions legitimately is not fun

- Non-unicum players rigged the personal missions én masse

I find it hardly surprising that many unicums just say "fuck it!" and get together to rig. It's faster, it's funny and nobody gets fucked over. And this is the point that differentiates mission rigging from using illegal mods and similar things - there are no losers.

I've had more fun, accidentally counting in with some guys on TS that also happened to have exited their previous battle just when I did and felt like the easiest and most efficient thing to do :doge:, than much else in this game for a really darn long while. Currently the set of missions are 1/10m to complete for the average pubbie. A player of that caliber is able to get the 260 with some perseverance and luck, but I don't see how this tank itself is going to be a reward for very many at the current state, it looks like they'll rebalance them sooner or later and once they come out with actually reasonable missions I might try and do them legitimately if I weren't to complete them in the next few days.

Why dangle the arguably best T10 in the game infront of everyone when legitimate plays will only get you halfway through? There are multiple (and easy) fixes to the missions that'd suddenly make them possible without changing them.

I'll take the Steel Hunt mission of 15k damage at 100m or less since it's the currently, hardest mission to complete in that mode. 

Game time is 7 minutes, you'll need constant DPM from close range along with basically not being allowed to die more than once because you'll lose out too much on time. I have yet to ever witness someone brawl for 5 minutes straight in a RU med without taking too much damage or never having to waste DPM due to running out of targets/troll bounces or ammo. If anyone were to actually complete this legit I tip my hat to that guy because that's an insane accomplishment.

But I've been pretty open to WG about this, there are solutions to this that can keep the missions in their current state (will still be very hard, but at least not impossible) if they want people to not rig as aggressively. First off being increasing the battle time, so you don't have to run in there, hold your breath for 5 minutes while you ultrafocus and might 10k if you're lucky as hell, but instead give you time to go back, repair, and not having to constantly DPM targets rather than focusing on outplaying your opponent which is something I personally hold much more valuable. Doing that along with upping the flag points needed to win a game will really help you out on the actual possibility of completing a mission. Especially in domination where the amount of tanks you have are limited and you can't afford to go balls to the wall for the entire game in case the enemy sees through it. And that's it really. A simple fix that instantly makes the missions from close to impossible to doable with luck. It'll help out a lot with some missions that are very time consuming and usually aren't completable until the endgame anyway, it'll keep tanks playing correctly in the game and reward them with even better games while the bad plays aren't affected at all, a very easy and reasonable fix from my side. 

However I did still accidentally go in battle with friends on the other team that gave in to my request of them absolutely needing to go have a break in the midst of the game where I just happened to finish the 5 arty kill on their AFK tanks without their knowledge :doge:  So I guess you won't take my side of things.

I don't think WG owes me anything, I don't require easier missions, or that I am doing the morally right thing by rigging because they are hard. I did it because of the fact that the tank itself is god-tier and is something I do want to play, and I'd rather take the easy, lenient and painless way out than having to suffer from every missions like it was the 260's LT missions with a city map rotation. If WoT wasn't as popular on the EU server, and the map rotation would consist of the same people, I'd probably have rigged the first mission campaign too. It's just the painless way out, coming from someone that doesn't like frustration. 

37 minutes ago, Kilpanic said:

I'm disappointed but not surprised by the number of folks willing to rationalize cheating to reach a desirable goal that they feel is otherwise unobtainable. 

Not "feel" anymore Kilpanic, it is unobtainable if you try to do it the legit way now on the NA server.  

Just now, Shifty_101st said:

Not "feel" anymore Kilpanic, it is unobtainable if you try to do it the legit way now on the NA server.  

So what if it is unobtainable? That means it's unobtainable. 

3 minutes ago, Kilpanic said:

So what if it is unobtainable? That means it's unobtainable. 

Doing it the legit way it is.  If you rig, you can get it.  Again though, I couldn't care less if people rig to get the tank.  It's not hard to kill if you know how to play the game so honestly this whole rigging nonsense is just yellows and below who are angry they have to try to learn how to kill yet ANOTHER unicum in an RU med. 

3 hours ago, Shifty_101st said:

Who the fuck cares about the rigging on the NA server.  It's an above average tank that can only be obtained through a gamemode that requires the server population of the RU server to do it honestly.  Unicums don't play that game mode anyway "for fun" we want the tank then we're done with that mode.

Besides the tank is still easy to kill........if you're not incompetent that is.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, yet another reason WG should implement roaming. Then I could head on over to EU or RU and try to actually get this thing :-)

14 minutes ago, Shifty_101st said:

Doing it the legit way it is.  If you rig, you can get it.  Again though, I couldn't care less if people rig to get the tank.  It's not hard to kill if you know how to play the game so honestly this whole rigging nonsense is just yellows and below who are angry they have to try to learn how to kill yet ANOTHER unicum in an RU med. 

Red/yellows should love rigging because it's the only ways they'll ever get a reward tank.

If we had the server population on the NA server, there would be no need to do much beyond simply platooning to attempt to get the missions done. 

Missions are designed for the RU server population, the lowest common denominator. This is not that server. 

1 hour ago, SirKnumskull said:

it's funny and nobody gets fucked over. And this is the point that differentiates mission rigging from using illegal mods and similar things - there are no losers.

As many players have commented, non-riggers no longer have the possibility to play the new mode. Both because the mode has lost what little competitive appeal it had and because rigging platoons will literally ESC-->Exit to garage. Non-rigging players are losers.

Wargaming's business model also relies in large part on creating a demand for statistical performance. If players want to do better they will buy premium consumables and shoot premium shells. Every mission that has ever been in this game has been a (perhaps misguided) attempt to create demand for statistical performance. Wargaming appears to be changing several T-22 missions, yet the community has already written them off. Wargaming is a loser.

1 hour ago, KoIni said:

It's just the painless way out, coming from someone that doesn't like frustration. 

Liar. You play tanks, ergo, are a masochist.

43 minutes ago, Shifty_101st said:

Do you not agree the rigging is entirely to blame for this?

The part of me that is upset at the cheating is dwarfed by the part of me that is spellbound in fascination at the tenacity of mission rigging. Did anyone expect to see top-level players openly write "Fuck you, I wanted this prize so I cheated to get it." Does no one question the implication of these attitudes for other competitive formats?

10 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Missions are designed for the RU server population, the lowest common denominator. This is not that server. 

"Wargaming owes me easier missions!"

9 minutes ago, andepans said:

The part of me that is upset at the cheating is dwarfed by the part of me that is spellbound in fascination at the tenacity of mission rigging. Did anyone expect to see top-level players openly write "Fuck you, I wanted this prize so I cheated to get it." Does no one question the implication of these attitudes for other competitive formats?

Why not cheat when there's no punishment?

Like, literally, NO PUNISHMENT AT ALL.