Solono

PS4 Open Beta weekend

22 minutes ago, CarbonatedPork said:

Half tempted to try it, if only for the ability to play tanks without statistics tracking. Then again, it would be the black pit of despair all over again.

Console tanks does track stats on a rudimentary level, but you don't have to worry about XVM sniping etc.

Also, it has a PVE mode which isn't terribly rewarding at the moment but it helps with low tier grinding.

Just now, HoHoNo said:

Console tanks does track stats on a rudimentary level, but you don't have to worry about XVM sniping etc.

Also, it has a PVE mode which isn't terribly rewarding at the moment but it helps with low tier grinding.

I'm downloading it now. Hopefully they add platooning pretty quick. A lack of XVM sniping would definitely make it more enjoyable. My PSN handle is the same as it is here, if ya wanna add me.

Some thoughts after a few rounds of beating up bots:

• Daww, they've only got three nations (American, German, and Russian) and those nations are only up to tier 8. I suspect this will change quickly after they're out of beta.
  • Unlike my last stint trying it on the 360, they've actually added an option to show the minimap at all times instead of that shitty radar thing they had going on. The minimap also only shows vehicle type icons and not vehicle names, though. Boo... hiss.
  • Controls are going to take some getting used to, plus there doesn't seem to be variable zoom - it's either all the way out or all the way in. Maybe I'll find a setting for that after poking around.
  • Beating up bots sucks. You can knock out 5 of the enemy bringing your team to a 13-8 advantage, but if you die your team automatically loses without the game actually playing out. This is going to encourage a very passive style of play from beginners.
  • I haven't tried multiplayer yet. Will give that a spin this evening. It will be nice to be able to platoon and get a premium account w/ T34 or Super Pershing. Farming silver without those will be balls.
  • The game has some neat weather effects and I love being able to see the gun barrel while zoomed in. Very nice touches, but I kinda wish it didn't run at what seems to be 20 or 30 FPS. Oh well, it's the price of being a console peasant.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised by the experience. It seems likely that I'll be able to play the PS4 version without the same level of competitive obsession that drove me to ultimately hate the PC version. Between the two, the PC version is clearly much better, but the PS4 version seems better constructed for play4funning.

I would agree the PVE elements need a bit of work, but they are promising. Also, yeah, beta, I believe they are planning a pretty full tree for release with Tier 10s, since it currently tops out at 8.

4 hours ago, CarbonatedPork said:

Some thoughts after a few rounds of beating up bots:

• Daww, they've only got three nations (American, German, and Russian) and those nations are only up to tier 8. I suspect this will change quickly after they're out of beta.
  • Unlike my last stint trying it on the 360, they've actually added an option to show the minimap at all times instead of that shitty radar thing they had going on. The minimap also only shows vehicle type icons and not vehicle names, though. Boo... hiss.
  • Controls are going to take some getting used to, plus there doesn't seem to be variable zoom - it's either all the way out or all the way in. Maybe I'll find a setting for that after poking around.
  • Beating up bots sucks. You can knock out 5 of the enemy bringing your team to a 13-8 advantage, but if you die your team automatically loses without the game actually playing out. This is going to encourage a very passive style of play from beginners.
  • I haven't tried multiplayer yet. Will give that a spin this evening. It will be nice to be able to platoon and get a premium account w/ T34 or Super Pershing. Farming silver without those will be balls.
  • The game has some neat weather effects and I love being able to see the gun barrel while zoomed in. Very nice touches, but I kinda wish it didn't run at what seems to be 20 or 30 FPS. Oh well, it's the price of being a console peasant.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised by the experience. It seems likely that I'll be able to play the PS4 version without the same level of competitive obsession that drove me to ultimately hate the PC version. Between the two, the PC version is clearly much better, but the PS4 version seems better constructed for play4funning.

Agree on all counts (except for being pleasantly surprised, lol).

Also, why the fuck they would port a game that primarily uses WASD and give zero controller options for using the D-pad to drive just floors me, especially since most of the controller options simply have most of the D-pad as 'unused'.  The only option that was remotely usable for me was C, and that puts all the other functions in a weird place.

Ok, now some observations after 19 games of regular pvp:

Still hate the pew-pew and inaccurate gameplay of low tiers. Plays about the same as it does on the computer. Meta hasn't yet taken hold, so people are doing some pretty stupid positional play.

Positioning is still very much a key factor in winning on the PS4. Aiming for specific modules is pretty much a nonstarter with thumbstick controls, which I imagine will significantly affect tanks with great gun handling in high tiers. I'd bet the Pershing and Pattons will fare significantly worse than they do on PC, but heavy tanks will reap the rewards. In particular, I bet the E5 will be a monster since nobody will be able to hit its cupola. Auto-aim works about as well as it does on PC.

Steering the tank with a joystick is bullshit. The analog input is translates to digital steering just like WASD on the PC. Eww.

Still, I'm currently sitting at 63% WR, so the expertise I've accrued translates well. I'm very much looking forward to them enabling platooning with the just-works voice chat. The players are generally more respectful in pub matches because they can't easily bang out ad-hominems on a keyboard or even talk to the other team at all.

With no XVM and no bots, this is really shaping up to be a fun experience despite the terrible console peasant controls. Looking forward to release day, that's for sure!

So I think the open beta might be closed soon, but that was a fun little stint. Except for grinding through the M3 Lee, I rather enjoyed it. Not getting focused by arty is very big plus and the graphics are kinda neat (night time, rain, every vehicle is an HD model) despite the ~30 FPS console peasantry. Since so few got up to tiers 4+, the level of play there matched PC play, where teams had some semblance of the meta for each map. I also got more used to the controls to the point where I could lead shots and track stationary targets. Definitely looking forward to being able to play the T30/E5/T34/SuperPershing staples once they're released. Thanks for letting me know about the open beta, Solono!

Edit: The PS4 Open Beta is closed. Any progress made will carry over to release.

Beating up console pubbies was pretty fun!

wD5fS5O.png

I'll probably stream gameplay on Twitch when the game releases so y'all can make fun of my console peasantry.

18 hours ago, CarbonatedPork said:

So I think the open beta might be closed soon, but that was a fun little stint. Except for grinding through the M3 Lee, I rather enjoyed it. Not getting focused by arty is very big plus and the graphics are kinda neat (night time, rain, every vehicle is an HD model) despite the ~30 FPS console peasantry. Since so few got up to tiers 4+, the level of play there matched PC play, where teams had some semblance of the meta for each map. I also got more used to the controls to the point where I could lead shots and track stationary targets. Definitely looking forward to being able to play the T30/E5/T34/SuperPershing staples once they're released. Thanks for letting me know about the open beta, Solono!

Edit: The PS4 Open Beta is closed. Any progress made will carry over to release.

Beating up console pubbies was pretty fun!

wD5fS5O.png

I'll probably stream gameplay on Twitch when the game releases so y'all can make fun of my console peasantry.

Glad to see you back in-game, even if it's on another platform!

1 hour ago, _Juris said:

Glad to see you back in-game, even if it's on another platform!

Dawww, _Juris. I miss you guys a bunch, but not having XVM and arty focus really makes the game a heck of a lot less frustrating. I probably won't be playing it with anywhere near the same regularity that I did the PC version. I'm trying to start up a music venue in my hometown and won't have the time for it even if I wanted to!