Deadmau4

Which tanks get Engine fires and which get Fuel Tank fires

I am aware that tanks get fires from either their engine being set on fire, or their fuel tanks' HP being reduced to 0.

If a tank (e.g a tier 10 RU med) gets fuel tank fires, you can only get an AFE to combat it, unless you go full retard with CO2 tanks.

If a tank (e.g a T95) gets engine fires, you can combat it with AFE and Preventative maintenance.

Right?

So if i want to take food on a tank and i don't think it's worth dropping a Med Kit to keep the AFE i usually give the crew the preventative maintenance perk as a 3rd or 4th skill depending on the tank to reduce the chance of me getting raped by a fire, if my crew was 5 skill I'd probably get fire-fighting skills and get rid of preventative, but not many of my crews are 5 skill.

I recently found out that the Bat does not get engine fires like i thought but instead gets lit up by its fuel tanks, so I've trained the Bat's driver with preventative and had that crew skill being wasted this whole time like an absolute mug, the Bat's driver also happens to have many useful skills which makes it even worse. 

So is there a way of telling what tanks have what types of fires? can you tell by looking at your modules as you're on fire (i guess you could check the replay, before your AFE puts the fire out maybe) or is it stated somewhere in the garage or on some site? 

I have preventative on quite a few tanks, 50B and IS-7 are ones i remember and I'd rather not waste crew slots just because I'm ill-informed.

This would be excellent information for vbaddict or other replay sites to provide, but I am not aware of it.

you can see what players run with food vs AFE, but it would be interesting to get stars for module and crew damage frequency as well as fire frequency and source.

Good question. It would be nice to know tank by tank.

However, even if a tank can be set on fire through its engine I would still never use Preventative Maintenance. It's a wasted slot if you're using food, as your first 4 skills on the driver in that instance should be BIA, Rep, Camo and FF. Even with 5 skills I would then start going for shit skills like Off Road, Clutch Braking or Controlled Impact (you mentioned 50B)

In my experience, almost all fire-prone tanks are fire prone because of their fuel tanks. Those that have more vulnerable engines than they have fuel tanks (as an extreme example, the T28/T28P/T95 and some lower tier vehicles) set on fire relatively rarely in comparison.

Would still be interesting to know for sure, but that's the impression I've gotten.

2 hours ago, Rexxie said:

In my experience, almost all fire-prone tanks are fire prone because of their fuel tanks. Those that have more vulnerable engines than they have fuel tanks (as an extreme example, the T28/T28P/T95 and some lower tier vehicles) set on fire relatively rarely in comparison.

Would still be interesting to know for sure, but that's the impression I've gotten.

You are not alone, though, again, just anecdotes and I dislike anecdotes.

9 hours ago, Rexxie said:

I bet looking at hitbox location would tell us. So what tank lights up a ton?  I seem to remember the STA lighting for me oftenm but im not sure anyways I can confirm with module skins if you guys list the top 5 tanks

The worst tanks that are known for burning because fuel tanks are 215b and 140/62a. All other fire I know of are because engine. But those are it. I wish I knew what caused most fires in tanks when I burn them mainly because I have had Prev. Maint. on my 215b for nearly 200 battles before I found out it did absolutely nothing.

This thread reminded me of engine fires from front transmission on Germans. Every game they would burn.

On 12/8/2015, 12:57:34, Errants said:

So, does this basically mean that Prev. Maintenance is bad, and should feel bad?

I'd call it situational. The Maus has a frontal engine, terrain resistance values on par with or superior to the T110E5, and moves so slowly that the small bonus provided by smooth ride isn't particularly noticeable. Once you've gotten repair, BiA, and clutch braking, it seems the best choice for a skill.