Sign in to follow this  
FrankyMcShanky

Post 0.12 MBT and Light tank changes.

Spunky has discussed plans for nerfing tier 7 + MBT's here.

"As for what those 'nice' changes are, some of them are generally focused in the following areas:

1. Making the rear of MBTs consistently penetrable across the board.
2. Making the rear sides of MBTs more easily penetrable across the board.
3. Reducing the capabilities of MBTs to outmaneuver LTs which properly flank them
4. Making LTs more capable of skirmishing on the move

These are the core areas we are focused on addressing for balance right now (I actually just came out of a long meeting on these subjects). Because of how widespread and extensive these changes will be and the tech time required to make these changes we simply cannot rush these changes into a single build. You will notice we did not buff MBTs this patch and while the camo / TD changes are designed to improve the gameplay for non-MBT classes it does not mean it is the only changes we intend to make. The TD ability will also probably be getting further adjustments after we collect feedback on its current iteration."

I like the MBT side of that. Will it work on paper armour LTs though? Right now it just feels more useful to be in an autocannon afv. The VFM (and Termi) feel like they have a role counter scouting but most other LTs don't have the armour IRL to be pushed into that role.

im looking foward to more light tank buffs, their my favourite class in this game. a solid traverse buff across the board would be a good improvement

1 hour ago, DracoArgentum said:

I like the MBT side of that. Will it work on paper armour LTs though? Right now it just feels more useful to be in an autocannon afv. The VFM (and Termi) feel like they have a role counter scouting but most other LTs don't have the armour IRL to be pushed into that role.

stingray 2 fulfils the same role

From SS:

"Lowered rear armorof T90-MS from 100 to 70mm
Lowered rear armor of T90 from 80 to 70mm
Lowered rear armor of Terminator from 80 to 70mm
Lowered rear armor of Ramka from 90 to 70mm"

that sounds nice and all, but what about Cage?? normally cage armor should break off when hit like ERA, but right now in-game it stays hit after hit. i personally think its the cage armor that makes both the the rear and sides so hard to penetrate especially for AFV's

that sounds nice and all, but what about Cage?? normally cage armor should break off when hit like ERA, but right now in-game it stays hit after hit. i personally think its the cage armor that makes both the the rear and sides so hard to penetrate especially for AFV's

Cage does not affect AP whatsoever.

Meh, my biggest issue with tier 8's is that I have to be at a 90 degree angle to their ass armor to pen reliably with something like the Wiesel, so maybe this nerf  will give me a little more leeway when I pull off a flank.  MBT mobility is still cancerous but I'd rather OE take a gradual approach to balance rather than this knee-jerky crap we've been seeing from them. 

Cage does not affect AP whatsoever.

Still, I'm not happy with the way cage and HEAT work in the game at the moment.  HEAT is too powerful at lower tiers and useless at higher tiers due to cage being fucking everywhere.  I like how HEAT performs in the 6-7 range where it's a high risk, high reward tactical round.  

'Bout to flank a MBT?   Load up a HEAT round and queue up AP.   Can't even really bother with that at tier 9.

Well even if Cage dose not affect AP at all it should Break off when hit with a HEAT Shell as well as AP. Just like how ERA is blown off when hit with all Ammo types, so should Cage.

Nonsense

rXWXMKP.jpg

wxHW8RG.jpg

It still should break off for healthy gameplay purposes, just like ERA should not affect AP shells.

Why?

A Penetrator hitting the cage will simply put a hole in it. ERA, especially more modern ERA, does affect penetrator rounds and does explode because of the energy released by the penetrator when it hits either the front plate of the ERA, its back plate or the armour underneath it. Some ERA have proximity sensors which causes them to explode 'prematurely' when a penetrator round (basically anything with an approach velocity > 1000m/s or so) is detected causing the front plate to contact the penetrator round with a large stand off distance. The penetrator usually breaks up thus protecting the tank from a hit.

While I don't want AW to become a simulation some elements of the game should be kept as realistic as possible: the armour vs hittile modelling is one of those things. As soon as AW get away from the WG shit they use currently the better. Until then the way Cage and ERA works is at least believable.

Permanent immunity to a kind of ammo, be it from APS (ATGM) or Cage (HEAT) is almost as game breaking as premium shells in wot, it bypasses armor/penetration balance. So is temporary immunity to standard (AP) ammo from ERA plates.

Gameplay > Realism.

Permanent immunity to a kind of ammo, be it from APS (ATGM) or Cage (HEAT) is almost as game breaking as premium shells in wot, it bypasses armor/penetration balance. So is temporary immunity to standard (AP) ammo from ERA plates.

Gameplay > Realism.

I can see where you're going with cage. But ERA blocking AP is just DIY weakspots. As long as the underlying armour is penetrable I don't see an issue.