gentillehawk

How is WOT currently

You have a low threshold for what counts as "shitting" on a game. I don't see how the TWO, count them, TWO people who responded before you said anything inaccurate.  

This is one hard game to like, let alone love, any more.  It's basically the same as it ever was, except worse.  And all it's ever been is a game in which one can't control much and working very, very, very hard to master it means, for the vast majority of the player base, you win slightly more than half the time.  

If we all leave just because we aren't fans of the game, then what's the point of the forum really?  You'll just be stuck with a lot of people with the same opinions then, many likely with Stockholm syndrome.

But yeah, you gotta have some dark to go with the light, man.  Gotta have two sides to the coin, man.

Just going to pretend I'm speaking to someone who's been gone for 1-2 years. Here's the good:

• The core of the game has never changed. If you liked it beforehand you'll like it now.
  • The game is more accessible than before, with more straightfoward map design, better balance between vehicles, and a slightly better interface. It's unlikely you had trouble beforehand given your stats, but it's good for less advanced players.
  • The game still feels very well polished with very few bugs, although patches themselves have gotten a tiny bit messier than they used to be.
  • Development is still going strong, WG is releasing content just as often as they have been for several years.

And the bad:

• NA server has considerably worse population problems than it has in the past. While the ramifications on random battles are microscopic, any secondary modes are likely to be wastelands days after launch, as is the case with the new rampage mode (which are basically just the "garage battles" they were talking about 2-3 years ago).
  • Some aspects of the game have regressed. Map design is even more one-dimensional than before. Being "good" at the game is generally more straightfoward than before. The gameplay can get repetitive and samey quite quickly.
  • The core of the game is stagnant. While this is fine if you liked it before, if you had gotten bored of that core gameplay, you won't be impressed with the current state.
  • WG has gotten much more cashgrabby in the last year. They claim that next year will be different, but that's what they all say.

3 hours ago, cavman276 said:

Kinda tired of everyone here shitting on the game.  Some people like me still love it.  If you hate it that much leave and quit whining.

I like the people here. World of Tanks is a tough game to master and the community here is comprised of folks that have the innate skill and tenacity to get good at it.

After a while, the repetition of the game itself as well as stats-chasing got to me and I quit. I was spending an unhealthy amount of time on it and I am happy to be free of the hardcore addiction I had for the game. I shit on the game not because it's a bad game but because of the inadequacies it revealed in my own ability to cope with addiction. I shit on the game because I see people who were in my position that haven't yet broken the stranglehold.

The game itself is actually still pretty damned good, although I don't know what's changed in the last 3-4 months since I quit. It's cashgrabby, it's more and more one-dimensional, and pretty much everything else Rexxie listed, but it's still a good game. I do not begrudge people that enjoy playing the game and really I don't begrudge the game itself. Frankly, I'm a little jealous of the people that are able to maintain a healthy and long-term relationship with this game (@StranaMechty, @sr360, @CraBeatOff, and @Rexxie come to mind).

So yeah, I'll whine. I did actually leave WoTLabs when I first quit because just reading about the game made me want to play it again. Now I feel like I had the time away to finally conquer the demon of addiction within and I can return without being drawn back in.

I'll try not to shit on the game in the future. I totally understand why it bugs those still playing. This community was built around it and attacking that linchpin is kinda retarded of me.

Still, you guys are alright. I'll keep on shitpoasting here, just less shit about how shit the game is. Shit.

Shoutout to @Otis. I miss you, man.

I still love this game. Arty pisses me off as does some game mechanics that I don't have a full grasp on (but that's my fault not the games). I can see why players are at the point of 'This is crap' but I just am not that sort of person that lets that sort of thing bother me. I am still grinding many lines so there is plenty of content left for me. I only play Randoms ATM but that for me is enough right now. 

TL:DR - Still a good game, there is nothing I would rather play!

2 hours ago, CarbonatedPork said:

I like the people here. World of Tanks is a tough game to master and the community here is comprised of folks that have the innate skill and tenacity to get good at it.

After a while, the repetition of the game itself as well as stats-chasing got to me and I quit. I was spending an unhealthy amount of time on it and I am happy to be free of the hardcore addiction I had for the game. I shit on the game not because it's a bad game but because of the inadequacies it revealed in my own ability to cope with addiction. I shit on the game because I see people who were in my position that haven't yet broken the stranglehold.

The game itself is actually still pretty damned good, although I don't know what's changed in the last 3-4 months since I quit. It's cashgrabby, it's more and more one-dimensional, and pretty much everything else Rexxie listed, but it's still a good game. I do not begrudge people that enjoy playing the game and really I don't begrudge the game itself. Frankly, I'm a little jealous of the people that are able to maintain a healthy and long-term relationship with this game (@StranaMechty, @sr360, @CraBeatOff, and @Rexxie come to mind).

So yeah, I'll whine. I did actually leave WoTLabs when I first quit because just reading about the game made me want to play it again. Now I feel like I had the time away to finally conquer the demon of addiction within and I can return without being drawn back in.

I'll try not to shit on the game in the future. I totally understand why it bugs those still playing. This community was built around it and attacking that linchpin is kinda retarded of me.

Still, you guys are alright. I'll keep on shitpoasting here, just less shit about how shit the game is. Shit.

Shoutout to @Otis. I miss you, man.

It's just kind of annoying when I get on to a forum for a game that I love to discuss it or shit around for a bit and the status updates are 9 times out of 10 someone complaining or bragging about how they haven't played for x months.  No one still playing cares, and those that aren't shouldn't be wasting time on a forum specifically for that game.

Rexxie nailed it. I certainly can say the game, aside from the cash grabs of about as good as it's ever been in my time. 

@CarbonatedPork ha-ha thanks. Do recall that i quit the first half of 2014, but decided to come back at a more sustainable (dare I say @camador llike?) pace. But yes I've been sustaining a nice easy enjoyable but effective play habit. Having friends like sr360 and @dualmaster333 surely helps.

3 hours ago, cavman276 said:

Kinda tired of everyone here shitting on the game.  Some people like me still love it.  If you hate it that much leave and quit whining.

While ppl shitting on this game may sound like a broken record at this point, it's actually indicative of one of the largest problems that has directly led to the (continual) downfall of this game - Wargaming has consistently and stubbornly refused to listen to the opinions of the educated and skilled players of the game, and instead has catered to the pandering and whining of players of the opposite end of the spectrum.

In following this mantra of 'ignore the skilled' and only 'listen to the unskilled', that's precisely why the core of this game has become stagnant, as per Rexxie's points.  The problem with listening to the overwhelming majority of red casuals is that when you're not any good (or simply ignorant) at a game, why should anyone even value your opinion when you have no genuine knowledge of the subject you're talking about? - In fact the complaints of the red player base are non-unique and the same throughout every single game you will ever play:  They don't understand basics of the game, yet feel entitled to winning and/or being rewarded for their bad habits. 

So what has happened is that instead of fixing problems and improving existing game mechanics, WG has continually tried to 'nerf' skill - bush mechanics were changed, snap shotting accuracy was completely changed (forcing you to sit still longer so that you could be hit by return fire and arty), maps were changed/removed, the vision/draw distances were changed - all in the name of appeasing the lowest common denominator - lazy, unskilled players that continually complain about basics and defiantly refuse to learn them.  Every game is chock full of these individuals, and not only do they exist in this gaming community, but every other one as well (and they probably exist at the office/company/school that you work or study at).

Take for example, vision mechanics/meta of the game.  Red players complained that they were being killed by invisi-tanks and couldn't figure out how to deal with it (and still can't to this day).  So, they removed bushes.  WG changed maps, over the past year plus, to 2 or 3-lane corridors where it's close quarters, in-your-face brawling.  However, they failed to put in enough (or any) pathways to assist/flank in a timely manner to said corridors (because you know, that would be an 'intelligent thing' to do and we wouldn't want that would we?) and hardly any bushes to do any real scouting (remember the term 'passive scouting' from years back?)

Instead of finding ways to (1) encourage players to learn these mechanics and more importantly (2) improve upon said mechanics, WG simply threw up their arms and decided to dumb it all down, without understanding or worrying about the long term ramifications.  Namely, light tanks, practically the entire class, have lost out the most in terms of balancing and a concrete place in the game - hardly anyone knows how to play them properly.  Then there's been the always controversial arty, and not to mention a host of other problems that have led to a mass exodus, which is why this forum has become quieter and quieter with each passing week.

In a simple analogy, it's like letting the worst prison inmates and criminals of a society set their own rules for how they should punished and/or governed.  Anyone with a shred of intelligence knows how hilariously stupid this would be, yet this is the thought process that WG has laughably embraced.

Why is it important to listen to the educated/skilled player base?  Anyone with knowledge of what any sport, company, or video game company (that is hugely successful with a large online multiplayer base) does understands that metagame shifts and nuanced, subtle balance changes that need to be implemented are LARGELY based on the feedback and play of the competent users of said product, not the incompetent who don't know left from right. Oftentimes pro users (players in this case) - their feedback is considered the most valuable.  WG's attitude? Something along the lines of 'long-time players become disgruntled malcontents'.  Completely laughable.  So unsurprisingly, WG has created nothing worthwhile in terms of end game content, no improvements or furtherances for long-standing, loyal players who also happened to be really, really skilled.

WG's responsibility is to be a shepherd to this large community, but instead they have fostered an environment where unicums and serious players have been scapegoated and witch hunted as being the source of many of the problems, when it's quite the opposite.  In fact, why do you think this website was created?  Go look at the regular WoT forum - 98% of what is said there is unintelligible misinformed crap.  How many of us go there for serious information on how to improve or learn anything of genuine substance?

Does WG encourage or reward team play - simple good teamwork, as opposed to playing selfishly for outdated and easily manipulated metrics such as WN8?  No, in fact if you don't give a shit, and just want to drown yourself match after match, or bring along 2 tier 1 platoon mates into your tier 10 match, they do nothing.  That's right, they do nothing because 'we now have an automated (AKA placebo) ticket system to report players.'  They don't know how to properly implement or gauge requirements for individual missions, because many of the employees themselves don't understand the game.  I could go on and on.

Frankly, WG is getting what it deserves for continually making stupid choices as far as the game's direction.  If Valve or Blizzard were in charge of this title, I wouldn't be even surprised if the NA server pop reached 200k or even 500k+.  WG had a monopoly in this portion of the gaming market and they've done the least with the most.  And for people that point to the numbers of the Russian servers - I assure you the NA market/region has much higher disposable income and the average user has the means and willingness to spend far more on this game (or any game) than any other part of the world.  The fact that they're failing to achieve numbers comparable to League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-strike, or ANY Blizzard title is what you should be comparing this company to, not "oh gee, $60 million is a lot of money" type of nonsense.

But we keep playing this game.  Yes, it is one of the few historical, military vehicle based games out there, and there are many great parts about this game - but that doesn't mean that the company running it isn't doing an extremely poor job of it.

Personally I find that the NA population issues are having an effect on single, random games.  To me it seems like orange is outnumbering yellow players which suggests a lack of players managing to better themselves to such an extent that they become competent.

It's winter now and there's still summer level of majority orange teams which puts you back in the, "if you're platooned you've a decent chance of winning" meta.  Also, in an effort to make cw more appealing to all, WG managed to make everyone hate it.

There again with only three active lines being ground (and I totally forgot about the IS4 until just now) and not really enthused about the "new" tier 8 lights, nor the Czech line which with the feel of fan art to it combined with internal WG politics manages to perfectly encapsulate how incompetent some branches of company are, I know I'm at the end of my WoT run.

The above may be a combination of confirmation bias and burnout but I'm spending a lot more time playing AW, returning to single player games and essentially tossing a coin to log into WoT or WoWS.

Not going to say WoT is dead but it certainly feels past its prime.

1 hour ago, cavman276 said:

It's just kind of annoying when I get on to a forum for a game that I love to discuss it or shit around for a bit and the status updates are 9 times out of 10 someone complaining or bragging about how they haven't played for x months.  No one still playing cares, and those that aren't shouldn't be wasting time on a forum specifically for that game.

For the most part people complain because they want the game to be better, they do enjoy the game, or at least did, but want it to be better, if the forum censored out all of the negativity towards wot, I can assure you it wouldn't be worth reading, and this forum isn't strictly about world of tanks, that was certainly its starting point, but has since encompassed many other things over time as it has expanded, so just because someone doesn't play, that doesn't mean they have no reason to spend time here.

10 hours ago, Cunicularius said:

Arty still ruins the game, the meta is still retarded, the sigma is still infuriating and rigging missions has become the norm.

Pretty much sums it up.

8 hours ago, cavman276 said:

Well the OP did ask how the game was doing.  I feel it's better to be blunt than to bullshit him.  Arty still ruins the game --------> "Arty still splashes half your HP away but that's ok because now you have 50% remaining to use on other tanks :)

Still a good game though won't deny that.  But when there are other games doing it better *COUGH COUGH ARMORED WARFARE COUGH COUGH* kinda hard to recommend someone to go lose their mind with stupid pubbies, stupid mechanics, and bleah gameplay where it was SIGNIFICANTLY better a year and a half ago.

1 hour ago, Storm said:

For the most part people complain because they want the game to be better, they do enjoy the game, or at least did, but want it to be better, if the forum censored out all of the negativity towards wot, I can assure you it wouldn't be worth reading, and this forum isn't strictly about world of tanks, that was certainly its starting point, but has since encompassed many other things over time as it has expanded, so just because someone doesn't play, that doesn't mean they have no reason to spend time here.

Exactly. I would be back and playing happily if only they would pull their heads out of their asses and address the problems.

Every patch 1-n good maps died, until nothing was left, the arty problem ignored for years, no idea about balance, shitty MM and RNG...the game could be so much better, but they chose to ruin it. It is sad. I don't want to shit on it, but really...I have not played it for 3 months now and just thinking about logging in gives me the creeps. The last months were terrible. Not al single good match, only steamrolls. Battle over after 2 minutes. Everyone rushing in 1 direction. No, thank you. Even the camping meta was better.

The game is good but stagnating. Last year's issues are next year's issues, apart from somewhat opening up to new players and reducing the rewards of skilled gameplay in general, not much has happened. But apart from this (and the arty issue, ofc) it is a rock-solid game with good pvp gameplay.

Does this appeal to you? Continue playing. Does this bore you? There are other games...

TL;DR: What Rexxie said.

For the most part people complain because they want the game to be better, they do enjoy the game, or at least did, but want it to be better, if the forum censored out all of the negativity towards wot, I can assure you it wouldn't be worth reading,

See the ASIA forums for a genuine example of this.

Core vision mechanics were altered. IS-3 buffed because reasons. T110E5 buffed instead of other tanks because reasons.

Depending on how long you've been away from the game, Japanese superheavies, because superheavies are what we need at tier 5, totes.

T18 got rekt, sealclubbers play the chi-ro these days.

If you turned off chat before, keep it off.

Just going to shamelessly selfplug my recent "To Quit Or Not To Quit" thread/poll, because I think it's relevant for OP.

tl;dr: Artillery is the main reason people are done or becoming done with the game (was my reason for quit as well).

I would enjoy the game if not for SPGs. As long as they exist as they do now, the game is a steaming pile of shite and I can't decide whether I want to commend people who still play it or accuse them of being insane. Definitely the latter for those who have paid for the ridiculous bundles of late.

• Some aspects of the game have regressed. Map design is even more one-dimensional than before. Being "good" at the game is generally more straightfoward than before. The gameplay can get repetitive and samey quite quickly.

Speaking of regression, WG has entirely killed the vision game which was one of the most enjoyable aspects of this game for me. Prok is the only map where vision matters anymore. Gone are the days where you could simply out skill your opponent by maintaining the proper vision at the proper locations at the proper time on a map. Some of the most satisfying games were ones where my sneaky light tank lit up the enemy and I watched them get wrecked. I knew that my advanced knowledge of the game won it in a fashion that the other team never had a fighting chance. Those games almost never happen anymore. And I would say that I get far fewer really satisfying wins than I used to in this game because of it. These days most of my "good" wins are ones where I merely farmed the hardest.