DracoArgentum

How 2 Stingray 1

Has anyone got good tips for playing the Stingray 1. And other paper lights with AP guns?

You can't scout because if you are close enough to spot AFVs outspot you. Worse it usually means you're close enough that a yolo AFV will wreck your game. You can't play aggressive for the same reason.

I hear a lot of people saying be a TD early. But how? The gun doesn't really pen MBTs frontally and I can be an AFV to murder everything that isn't an MBT.  Is this really the best plan?

Then what? The flanking doesn't seem much good either. T series DPM isn't impressive for flanking. You bounce nothing so an MBT that gets a single bounce is ahead of you, no matter how bad its DPM.

What are paper lights actually good at? And how do I maximise that?

camp and snipe

you cant outflank pretty much any mbt, traverse is beyond terrible.

any aggressive play you make will usually result in all the enemy AFV's having a kreygasm and yoloing you.

that said it can relocate well and has a accurate gun. 3/10

I found that in the stingray being just behind the AFVs at the beginning works: your camo seems to be slightly better than same tier TDs and the poking abilities with the improved stabilization are awesome: fully aimed shots on the move while poking a ridge are the way to go.

You need to wait for the situation to develop and take your time to analyze the map. Once the MBTs have set up, you can start looking for opportunities. I set up my stingray with optics, to be able to spot for myself and I can outspot most of the T6 tanks except for AFVs.

An example: (I can't use the spoilers ffs! halp :fish:)

jsGna7i.jpg?1
kmg6j1U.jpg?1

I started by going in this position to harrass the sides of the MBTs, my improved VR allowed me to spot for myself. From this position you can also safely shut down a push in the west and spot the tanks near base with a quick poke. That's what I kept doing.

1USlYKh.jpg

Once I thought the situation was safe enough I moved up and got arty, also I could shoot the remaining MBTs in the back. I end up getting killed by a VFM

nkQgeVV.jpg

What I'm trying to say is you have to be opportunistic and make your gun sing from a distance, once u see a breaktrough use it. Use the ability u have to maintain accuracy at low speeds to improve the effectiveness of ridgepoking. Relocate if needed, flank and find opportunities in town areas, try to never be alone if possible. That's about it... It's not the best tank in the game, but the gun is decent and it can pen sides and weakspots of anything it faces (not really the T8s, but it's a rare MM anyways).

i do wonder if pipelines will get a rebalance that middle spot from north spawn is so broken

It is indeed, but hey I had this example and brought it up :P

It is indeed, but hey I had this example and brought it up :P

nice game btw, yeah thats pretty much where i go in any fast tank on north spawn, so easy to rape mbts as they try to cross to refinery

Stingray 1 has a pretty good gun and good enough mobility so play to those strengths. Set mine up with as good view range as possible and used Washington as commander, you aren't really killing anyone with dpm anyway and the extra little bit of camo is better than nothing. I'd say this tank really demands high situational awareness and good game sense over pretty much anything else. You need to maintain enough distance to things that could catch and kill you while still looking for opportunities to put damage down on targets which is when being able to out spot everything that isn't an AFV comes in handy. I'd recommend playing quite safe early on but still trying to do some early damage if you can pull it off. Just don't run into AFVs or take needles hits from big guns. Later on seek to get free shots into people who are either fighting other people or can't see you before you shoot. Always have an exit plan for whatever you do. Late game you should be able to go get low hp people assuming you managed to saved your own hp. A carry tank stingray is definitely not but as a support it can perform quite well.

This sounds like the problem. Playing the sniper is my worst role. I struggle to get a balance between waiting and pushing. I always end up advancing early. Plus I'm a crap sniper, 200ms plus my own poor reactions are killing me.

This is the tank I struggle with too after about 20 battles.  I can do 6000+ dmg one game then die early with <1000 dmg dealt.  AFVs are the biggest enemies.  You cannot play Stingray in the same style as the VFM.  The key to success rely on finding a good position to peek out for crossfire.  The gun is exceptionally good when fully upgraded, with 4.xx sec reload of 400+ dmg per shot.  I think the DPM is amazing, but since there is no armor, it has very low tolerance in player errors. 

I'd suggest to play Stingray like the WoT Leo1.

I'm considering dropping optics for intercom in the tech slot. DPM, gun handling and mobility buffs seem like they'd help more than 25m VR. Mostly because I'm trying to crossfire or failing that snipe enemies that are spotted by someone else. Thoughts?