Jarrel62

Comparison of Assault / Encounter and Standard Game Performance

There has been some discussion about the impact of having assault and encounter game modes turned on and whether it is beneficial for players to include or exclude these modes to improve win rates and other statistics.   Looking over my Vbaddict statistics as a decidedly average (for my number of games played) player indicates that I do significantly better in assault and encounter modes than I do in standard mode.  

Here are my results:

Game type                    Battles                   Win Rate                  Damage Ratio

Standard                        6785                       53.93%                      1.05

Encounter                      1261                       56.95%                       1.24

Assault                             481                       56.40%                       1.32

I do note that I platoon about 1/3 of my games.  However my main platoon mates also enable all the battle modes so I don't expect the results to be skewed in any way by the platoon effect.

It would be interesting to see if these results are consistent with other players, or if there are significant differences due to player skill.   Eventually we could plot a players skill level (measured by WN8) against the win rate or damage ratio performance for each game type to see if there are any trends.   If anyone who regularly uploads games to Vbaddict would like to be included in this kind of study just send me your in-game screen name and server information and I will dig the data up.  Alternatively, post your own results here as well. 

The comparison makes only sense, if you had Encounter/Assault enabled during your whole tanking life (or vbaddict activity). Otherwise I'd suggest to just use "recent games". 

True, if you are improving then having the alternate modes switched on during only part of your game history might skew the results.  In my case, I've had the game modes turned on as long as I've been uploading data to vBAddict.  In other cases, we can filter  the history file to only pull recent games.

Both add a little variety.  Yeah you run into the same maps, but the tactics you need are different.  And different spawns and different caps means different view of the maps

It does change up your tactics for any given map, sometimes good for scouting missions, but I doubt it makes you a better/worse player. For example, I don't think you would be a 57% WR player if you only played encounter matches, everything evens out sooner or later.

I always have Assault on, encounter would depend on what im playing, I don't have encounter on LT/MT but have it on as HT.

May I ask what is the reason for that? I turned both modes off because ppl says it's cancer, but I don't see what's wrong with either gamemode. 

My recent stats from vbaddict with all modes on are as follows.

Standard 65.7%
Encounter 66.2%
Assault 70.0%

Standard would be slightly padded compared to the others due to platooning with people who don't always have it on, which means the difference is even higher.

Encoder and assault are easier to win in for an above average player for a few possible reasons.

- Possibly less unicums in those modes as many of them complain about the modes.
- They are different from standard mode, so tomatoes may have a harder time adapting positions/tactics to these modes.
- Much harder to get a draw in encounter since everyone is drawn to the same cap and impossible in assault.
- Less likely to get fast capped due to a flank failing, etc.
- No need to worry about being on the wrong flank/supporting lemming rushes down lakeville valley, etc.

Some related posts from before

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/19970-map-rotation-checker/&do=findComment&comment=535823

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/19970-map-rotation-checker/&do=findComment&comment=535681

May I ask what is the reason for that? I turned both modes off because ppl says it's cancer, but I don't see what's wrong with either gamemode. 

Assault maps like Siegfried/Karelia/SandRiver/Erlenberg are probably my highest performing maps, its not as much as Assault is good, as much as the maps Assault is played on, is good for fast tanks. Lots of rooms to maneuver and reposition.

Mean while Encounter maps like Ensk/Mines/Siegfreid/Lakeville/Himmelsdorf/Ensk are pretty good for my heavy tanks, Murovanka is okay too i guess. Prok encounter is pure cancer but the other maps just outweighs it.

I've always had assault off, it's that ease of defending that annoys me.

I've always had assault off, it's that ease of defending that annoys me.

Me too. And the fact that teams being dumb enough to camp when they need to attack would, quite possibly, drive me literally insane.

I'm more focused on DPG farming right now - would people recommend turning Assault on for that?

Me too. And the fact that teams being dumb enough to camp when they need to attack would, quite possibly, drive me literally insane.

I'm more focused on DPG farming right now - would people recommend turning Assault on for that?

Lol what a question. Yes of course!

Assault maps like Siegfried/Karelia/SandRiver/Erlenberg are probably my highest performing maps, its not as much as Assault is good, as much as the maps Assault is played on, is good for fast tanks. Lots of rooms to maneuver and reposition.

Mean while Encounter maps like Ensk/Mines/Siegfreid/Lakeville/Himmelsdorf/Ensk are pretty good for my heavy tanks, Murovanka is okay too i guess. Prok encounter is pure cancer but the other maps just outweighs it.

I think mines encounter is the same/more cancerous than prokh. Both equally prone to capping cause of too much cover in the cap...

Lol what a question. Yes of course!

I think mines encounter is the same/more cancerous than prokh. Both equally prone to capping cause of too much cover in the cap...

Mines is terrible for that reason and the cover is hard cover, at least on Prok you can shoot most of it down.   Mines is balanced, its equally terrible from both sides.  

I think Stalingrad could be a fun encounter map if the circle was in the open square.  Everyone would have to fight around it, you couldn't go out there until late in the game.  It might be too much like Ensk though.  

I don't mind the modes except for defense on Karelia.  Most people go south and stare down the corridor hoping someone drive right into them.  They never bother to realize the map is won or lost North, they never even bother to look there.  

This make me want to turn assault back on and try it out for awhile...

Mines is balanced, its equally terrible from both sides.  

I disagree, I think the north spawn has an easier time with the way the cap is situated.

I disagree, I think the north spawn has an easier time with the way the cap is situated.

This is true, but south can rush the 1-2 island, and shoot sideways into the hill rushers.  When the North ridge campers shoot they light them too, and then start shooting them and spread cancer among them.

Average player and tank quality is lot lower in Assault/Defence than other game modes. Very noticeable when playing t10 tanks during night, single assault game can have more easy-to-farm tier 8 tomato heavies than previous 5 normal mode games together.