Assassin7

Vehiclular knowledgable people I BOUGHT THE INTEGRA

Your mom ...

that aside buy that Polo - best offer I ve seen here. Just make sure they changed the "Zahnriemen" (google translate says "Timing Belts") at 90K or 120K km (not sure what is correct interval for that one). VW with 125K on the clock beats all those rides with 230-300K km.

oh yeah, it has to be an auto because my license is auto restricted

Might be worth flushing the autobox if it's still got the original fluid it, again it degrades and most boxes are supposedly sealed for life (Done several Volvo ones 4,5 and 6 spd, it's alittle time consuming and tedious but has rejuvenated the boxes from clunky changes back so a decent change on more than one occasion).

My vote is that this car will not attract cops.

Between the rough paint, being black (rather than red), old and with zero audacious mods, it just isn't going to stand out.  

Given that your dad is mechanically (and hopefully logically) inclined, I would present your case for it being the best car from a technical standpoint in front of both of them together.

the one you linked is the Blue Civic. 

are you actually talking about the integra? or that Civic?

I just sold my 1999 Bluebird for $1,300, pretty much the same as this one  but silver. it was a manual though and I doubt you'd travel down to Napier to pick it up..

Do you know about CarJam? Here's the free report on the Integra. Looks like it's consistent with what the seller's saying, although it seems to have failed a couple of warrants in the past (see the double dots on the odometer graph?) could be worth asking about that. Oh and the rego's due next month so don't forget to factor that in.

I'm no mechanic, but I always get a mate who's mechanically minded to check (as in physically give it a once over and ideally give it a test drive) any car before I buy it. recommend you do the same.

Oh and for god's sake get insurance, at least third party. And answer all the quesitons honestly when you apply for it.

Can I interest you in a slightly used PT Cruiser...

Pros:

1. It has a spoiler!!!11!!1
  2. Single owner 
  3. It certainly does not look like a ricer

Cons:

1. It is a PT Cruiser
  2. The single owner stopped caring about this pile of shit for the past couple of years.
  3. It is a PT Cruiser
  4. It has no power steering anymore
  5. It is a PT Cruiser
  6. It has not had A/C since 2007
  7. It is a PT Cruiser
  8. The headlights no longer work, but the brights do!
  9. It is a PT Cruiser

Can I interest you in a slightly used PT Cruiser...

Pros:

1. It has a spoiler!!!11!!1
  2. Single owner 
  3. It certainly does not look like a ricer

Cons:

1. It is a PT Cruiser
  2. The single owner stopped caring about this pile of shit for the past couple of years.
  3. It is a PT Cruiser
  4. It has no power steering anymore
  5. It is a PT Cruiser
  6. It has not had A/C since 2007
  7. It is a PT Cruiser
  8. The headlights no longer work, but the brights do!
  9. It is a PT Cruiser

You don't buy a Cruiser because it is trendy, or because it is reliable or because it is economical, or because it gets you all the babes (unless you are looking for 60+ year old babes).
You get a PT Cruiser because you want pseudo nostalgia enough to piss your money down the drain and there is very little on the market that fits the bill.  I even got a custom license plate for mine: "CLICHE".  

Alright, guess what?

I bought it. My first car, :D:D 

Mum did the Carjam thing, thought it was alright, my dad ran through with me what to check on it, and from our checks mechanically it looked, felt, and sounded in really good condition. Paint is actually terribad, lol. But oh well, its paint. 

I drove it home, it drives really nice. Accelerator pedal is a little stiff (at least compared to what in used to) but its fine anyway, suspension is alao a bit harder than expected, but neither of those are issues. The only actual issue with it is the key gets stuck in the ignition if you dont pull it out immediatly when you turn the car off or turn it on immediately when you put it in. 

But it looks nice, its not a grandma car. Ignoring the bad paint its actually perfect, its subtle without looking biy racery. 

After the test drive mum said "actually its really nice"

:D

Shiny.

Who'd you get insurance with? Your car might only be worth $1,000 but the old fool who turns in front of you without indicating will be driving something a lot more expensive...

no its just an engine under 2ltrs uses less gas. 

I see this statement thrown around as a simple fact very often and I find it irritating because fuel consumption is not simply a matter of engine size.

For example, small displacement, high rpm petrol cars like most Japanese cars ARE very fuel efficient under normal city driving conditions AND if there's little weight in the car.

However the opposite is true at highway speeds (where the speeds limits, in the US at least, are generally between 96-112kph.) and hilly/mountainous areas where the car has to downshift often to maintain speeds AND/OR if you put a lot of weight in the car.

I had a Toyota Corolla with a little 1.6 ltr engine that DID get 30+ mpg on the highway IF I was by myself. If I loaded up a couple of people in the car with their gear, all of a sudden my gas mileage dropped down to the mid 20s at best. I put the same number of people and gear in my Mustang with its horribly inefficient 4 ltr V6, and I got almost the exact same highway gas mileage as my Corolla did.

Especially in hilly/mountainous terrain, larger displacement engines are more fuel efficient since their torqueier engines won't be under heavy load and can literally cruise up hills at relatively low RPMs. Highway petrol mileage is more about aerodynamics and gearing and less about engine displacement, although larger engines do still have an advantage since their RPMs will be lower at the same speeds than a car with a smaller motor.

Of course things like turbos and fuel types do change the discussion somewhat but that's not really a concern of yours ATM. Also the main reason Japanese cars have such a reputation for reliability is because their engines are incredibly overbuilt for their displacement, something you don't find in most European and American petrol motors.

IDK what petrol vs diesel prices are for you over in NZ or what limitations, costs, purchase premiums etc diesel ownership brings over a petrol car, but if you can afford it, get a diesel. A diesel's gas mileage will be significantly better than a petrol equivalent at highway and hill/mountains while being significantly more torquey so you can get off the line quicker. A good, well taken care of diesel engine can last for as long, if not outlast a Japanese engine.

Right now I have a 2.0 ltr turbo diesel Chevy which comes stock with 151 hp and 264 ft lbs torque and I averaged around 50 mpg on a 600 mile highway trip doing 80+ mph which included crossing a mountain range. I can get a tuner for my engine and get an additional 30 HP and 70+ ft lbs torque at 2k rpm while INCREASING my gas mileage by roughly 15 mph on the highway.

Diesel cars have basically a diesel tax which has to be paid every X KM, because petrol has the road user tax built in the price, while diesel doesn't (because diesel is used in everything else as well, farm machinery/boats/etc that dont use the roads)

Anyway, I got a petrol. It put $20 of 91 unleaded in it yesterday and it gave me just under 12 litres. Took a ~100km drive and used about half of what I put in.

Im guessing it will cost 60-80 to fill completely and it should easily last 2 weeks of going to work and back

Shiny.

Who'd you get insurance with? Your car might only be worth $1,000 but the old fool who turns in front of you without indicating will be driving something a lot more expensive...

State, third party+fire/theft. Added it on to my mothers contract and ill pay her for it

so after a few days with it:

-Guy said he thought it had been lowered, but he didn't know for sure. he assumed it had. it has, he didn't mention that on the listing. nor did he mention the big exhaust, but w/e to both of those things. they make it slightly cooler, and the exhaust only sounds boy racery above 4000RPM really, and it changes gear around that anyway. lol. 

key can get stuck in the ignition, as in if I just put it in and leave it I then can't turn it, I have to take it out and put it back in and instantly turn it on. same deal with turning it off, I can't turn it off and then leave it in, it wont go all the way, and ill have to start the car again and turn it off and take the key out immediately. not a big deal but I'll get it fixed at some point.

Slight wheel alignment issue, pulls a bit to the left it I let go of the wheel. again, no problem. dad said he can do that at home. And the aircon doesn't work. (which I expected from most of the cars I would be looking at, apparently it has a leak so just regassing it wont work)

other than that, everything on the car works perfectly. all the dash, all the dials, it has a good stereo system. it starts fine (started it up cold at 7.30am in the morning absolutely fine) it runs really nice, engine is smooth, changes gear smoothly. perfect. It does have hard suspension though, which I suppose is either a by product of it being lowered or might be seperate. dunno. again, not an issue. I got used to it fairly quickly.

drove up to grandparents yesterday. got stuck in holiday traffic, no overheating, no issues. it really has been taken care of.

paint is pretty bad. roof has been sun damaged because it was kept outside in direct sunlight, and the rest of it has nicks and scratches all over it. and at some point in its life some asshole keyed it down the drivers side. but its a first car, I didn't expect it to have a brand new coat of paint.

I like it a lot, its great. everything that needs to work does, and it looks good while being subtle enough to not look like a boy racer car. and if the cops take an interest just because of what it looks like, they will find nothing wrong with it and all the legal bits to be in order. everything that was done to it was done before the guy I bought it off bought it 8 years ago, infact it kinda looks like it was done before it was imported to NZ, based on the japanese on the strut braces and alloys. 

Tell me they didn't just chop the springs to lower the car...

Dont know but I doubt it. Everything else on it has been done very professionally so they probably got a sports suspension kit which hardened it up and lowered it a bit. It hasnt been lowered much thats for sure, and if he had just chopped the springs 8+ years would of shown it and it probably would of failed a WoF for it.

Tell me they didn't just chop the springs to lower the car...

With a current WoF? No. That sort of shit is illegal here, for good reason.

Judging from the pics, it isnt *noticeably* lower than standard, so odds are its just some aftermarket springs to make it feel more sporty.

Why are you on the tanks forums and not picking up chix?  Tell them about your purple recents.  They love that :)

Because I already have a chick :P

She went for a ride in it yesterday

If they put lowering springs on it and didn't change the dampeners this could explain the ride. Or it could be a missmatch of parts. My GT is underdampened and it rides terrible with the race springs I put on it (I lowered it before common parts were available cause it was so new, so I had to mix and match what I could find). However my BMW is nearly as stiff and rides a lot better because it has properly matched shocks/struts/dampeners to the springs on the car.

Grats on the new (to you) ride!