Sign in to follow this  
_Assad

M48 Patton vs STB 1 Quick Comparison Patch 9.13+

So 9.13 came just a few days ago and while the main focus of the patch was the czech tanks; the m48 patton amongst other tanks recieved quite substantial buffs. The old m48 used to be compared to the 4202/Action X and E50M as it shared similar characteristics with it's statistic profile. Those days are over however; the old Patton was underwhelming at best because having the best VR in its class along with it's Patton snaps weren't enough to keep most people playing it. This new Patton could be directly compared with the Action X, but I feel as if this massive leap in DPM and gun handling was geared towards the rivaling the STB-1. Mobility, tank profile, and camo aside the guns are very similar now. And I want to do a small comparison between the 2 with this thread. 

Here is the 9.13 Patton with equipment, consumables and BIA:

bhgP61m.png?1

Here is the same with the STB:

u2leV1G.png?1

Tanks.gg also has a comparison page, but for whatever reason it does not yet have crew skills to add onto the tanks; if you'd like a more detailed, but slightly less accurate page here you go:

http://tanks.gg/en/wot/compare#t:m48-patton;409kEg4.c:stb-1;00Ggycc

The hard statistics are here and I'll leave the replays and such to the better players of Wotlabs.

From my take the differences between the 2 tanks is that the patton has slightly less dpm for better aim time and bloom, while the the raw accuracy stat is the same between the 2 it's the difference of having IS7 bloom and damn near close to 215b bloom which means shots down range are easier to place for more damage. There are of course other factors such as mobility where the patton is left in the dust from overall top speed, but the better terrain resistances can be extremely noticeable in shit terrain. All in all I feel like the M48 Patton is now extremely competitive with STB.

So with these stats comparable now, should I run food on the Fatton like the STB?

I have played the Fatton more since the patch, however the gun handling doesn't seem to be any better.  Maybe it's me(probably er VERY likely) however I am debating running food and dropping the med kit, STB like setup

Shfty©  

P/s:  Is camo skill on the crew even worth?

Food on M48 gives it around 6.6s reload. And the reticule basically doesn't get any bigger, like at all. And you get 522m of view range.

So yes.

And camo is worth it, its a med.

It's a medium the size of an E5 I'd for go the camo for Repair and bia first

Oh yeah for sure, i have 6 nearly have 6 skills on mine though :P

Can I haz skill list ploz?

I have:

BIA, 6th, camo

BIA, camo, rep

BIA, camo, rep

BIA, safe, camo

Recommend changes?  I have the gold to reskill, no worries about cost

Shfty©

STB-1 needs a gun handling buff now if it's going to stay competitive

Doesn't the small profile and significantly stronger turret still make it better if you can hulldown? The dispersion of Fatton could be somewhat negated since the huge profile makes it easier to get damaged even with low exposure time shots. I could see the Fatton having an advantage in non-hulldown though, both get penned easily in hull and reduced exposure time will help alot.

however I am debating running food and dropping the med kit, STB like setup

I wouldn't drop med kit. Turret is pretty soft and 3 guys sit in turret, getting shot next to mantlet will probably damage your gunner for example.

Nice buffs, feels like this tank now has unique role compared to masses of other t10 meds. Gun handling/dpm combo is now good enough to compensate weakness of tank hull itself.

Can I haz skill list ploz?

I have:

BIA, 6th, camo

BIA, camo, rep

BIA, camo, rep

BIA, safe, camo

Recommend changes?  I have the gold to reskill, no worries about cost

Shfty©

Nah that's good for now. Once you get 4th skill pick up snapshot/ preventive maintenance/ situational awareness/ recon (:

.08, .08, .06 dispersion.
Is there a better choice than vert stab for the patton?  You're just going from .10 to .08, which is a tiny change for an equipment slot.  

Its still slow and still has bad camo, i really dont think its any better than the Cent AX, stb, leo (which are its main competition). For a tier 10 med you NEED camo and you NEED speed (the e50m gets around this by having lol armor). The patton can still get outplayed by the other meds too easily, sure the buff makes it a better brawler and dpm platform, but the Cent AX and leo 1 just do everything else so much better still.

Its still slow and still has bad camo, i really dont think its any better than the Cent AX, stb, leo (which are its main competition). For a tier 10 med you NEED camo and you NEED speed (the e50m gets around this by having lol armor). The patton can still get outplayed by the other meds too easily, sure the buff makes it a better brawler and dpm platform, but the Cent AX and leo 1 just do everything else so much better still.

I have 2 words for you: Corridor Meta. Camo is so unreliable these days that the leopard 1 is basically dead from powercreep. Mobility is a good thing to have, but good players will know how to abuse even the slowest tanks to their best possible positions. It doesnt have the frontline capability of a RU med or E50M but it does have the ability to pull off snap shots in the blink of an eye. Simply putting it on a hill or behind an E5/E100 has proved time and time again for myself that this tank whilst being slow and having no armor or camo; is capable of pulling off the most bullshit snap shots of any medium I've played.

If they buff the M60 like they did with the M48, it basically will be an STB-1 that trades a bit of armor, spotting capability, and DPM for waaaaaayyyyy better gun handling. It'd have, what, 3/4 the aim time and less than half the turret dispersion? with slightly better base accuracy to begin with. About half the max theoretical dispersion overall. Heck, it'd have the second best gun handling of any tank in the game, arguably the best even.

Make it happen, WG.

Nah that's good for now. Once you get 4th skill pick up snapshot/ preventive maintenance/ situational awareness/ recon (:

Camo and rep over snapshot? I am wow'ed

It already has 0 bloom. You get tracked ALOT and its a medium so camo/repair are needed. Though i basically have 6 skills in mine so its a non issue :^)

okay the crew that will go "post Pershing" is currently on my T20. No BIA yet since 6th first and I will retrain them anyway but is that setup valid for the lower tiers as well...