I live in the midwest (Nebraska) and am considering installing this.  Before I waste a lot of time, I had a few questions.  The biggest problems I've had with WoT center around lag/ping spikes and arty trash. 

Some of the connectivity is my ISP but some isn't and thats why I started this thread.  For players who live in the CST US; I'd appreciate your insights on any stability, ping/lag/latency issues in AW v WoT if any?  

I've got 9600+ games in WoT and am enjoying WoWS but I well remember that 7,000+ of my WoT games were played on a computer where a 14 fps was a good thing and below 500 ping was great.  Things have changed as my fps runs into the 70s and my connection and lag are usually 59-120 or so (with a W/R bump from 46 to 50+ over time) but things can still get dicey and I'm sensitive to that. 

I started off playing arty due to my shitty connection and old computer but now I absolutely despise it and I hate getting one shot shat upon.  I know AW has arty and the new player guide in this section gave some examples of why its different but I'd like to hear some 1st hand perceptions from other fellow WoT arty haters how things are in AW? 

Thanks

I can't speak to CST ping (I'm in EST and get ~85ms ping, so maybe CST would be less?). 

Arty will never OHKO you in AW. You'll simply never run into an artillery piece with enough alpha to do so, and as someone who has played a lot of matches as a scumbag, I've never seen a single shot kill all crew either (crew are generally harder to kill in AW than WoT, with a few exceptions). 

That said, you can't stay in the open, and if artillery decides you're its target, you will have damaged modules. The good news is that, as in WoT, most module damage doesn't actually hurt your tank's specs, and the percent reductions tend to be smaller (a damaged breech is only -10% reload time). Also, three of the six artillery pieces currently in the game have a three shot salvo. 

Between the advance warning of incoming shells (I think Intumesce found you normally get two seconds) and the lack of one shot kills, you'll dislike arty less than in WoT. But there will still be indirect fire vehicles hitting you at the worst possible times and knocking out the occasional module. 

I live in Texas, Austin most of the year then Dallas only 3 months of the year, but honestly no real difference between the 2 in ping.

If you have the computer to run AW (cry engine so it's pretty demanding) then install it.  Get an account and login before January 3rd and you get a Type 59 for free too.

But ping wise it's no different than tanks IMO, and you should be fine as it's not game breaking like in wot if you get a ping spike. 

As for arty........it's still arty.  If some WoT shitter recognizes your name they'll focus you the whole match.  Just ask SmyleeRage and all the KEVIN players what it's like.  I personally find it OK, it's not great as it's still arty but at least you're not getting 80% of your HP taken away like in WoT along with 80% of your modules and crew in one fucking shot......

Thanks folks!  downloading now :)  We'll see how it goes

stopped the download after malwarebytes went nuts on the attempted p2p connections etc.  Checked with MB forum and they verified that these are not false positives.  Got a phone call from Mumbai India within minutes of my blocking those connections asking how my "network" was doing and if there were "any problems" .... idiot claimed to be from "windows"....

yeah...lolnope.... totally digging deep into my system now to clean out any crap left behind.  

Coincidence?  ... maybe/probably but I'm not chancing it

Stop exploring websites that you're unfamiliar with, OP. If there was something wrong with the client, then their forums will be stuffed with complaints. And about arty one-hit kills; they're real only if your entire crew is killed. This usually happens to AFVs failing to sneak up on a TD'd SPG.

Stop exploring websites that you're unfamiliar with, OP. 

Oh I've already followed that advice which is why this thread was originally put up.  AW is apparently a good game with enough respect and supporters (including you apparently) to have its own area here among other places I know quite well.  I felt like it was a safe bet. Malwarebytes has a good rep and so when it acts up, I notice.  I double checked and found what I needed to.  

Apparently AW works for a lot of folks but I'm not going to be one of them

Biggest issue I have with AW is the vision system. It works for low tier, but in higher tiers being practically permaspotted all the time means paper tanks are worse off than with wot arty.

This might only be my impression of course.

No, it's a fact.
Tiny maps + tons of MBTs + MBTs being OP as shit + camouflage system being shit + camouflage system getting worse = "We're watching the statistics of high tier MBTs very closely :)"

I wonder how long it takes for them to notice the MBT winrates are "acceptable" just because they are so overrepresented. :D

To me it sounds like you still have some faith in Obsidian. I'd stop that if I were you.
Obsidian have time and time again shown to be utterly incompetent at vehicle balance. It's literally impossible that they're trying to design this game like other classes are supposed to have a chance or at least be somewhat relevant.
If you don't believe me, just queue for PvP.

Oh I've already followed that advice which is why this thread was originally put up.  AW is apparently a good game with enough respect and supporters (including you apparently) to have its own area here among other places I know quite well.  I felt like it was a safe bet. Malwarebytes has a good rep and so when it acts up, I notice.  I double checked and found what I needed to.  

Apparently AW works for a lot of folks but I'm not going to be one of them

I run no anti-virus software at all, haven't for more than a decade, all on custom built machines. I have downloaded and re-downloaded the AW client via torrents over a dozen times. You are not getting any malware from AW. At best, that program is throwing pseudo-positives (flagging certain packets/files as malware because others of their type do actually contain bad shit, regardless of whether the items in question are actually problematic [spoiler; they aren't]) to justify its existence (why would it ever tell you that if you know how to identify stupid things on your own that you don't need to spend money on it?), and at worst it's flagging something that was already on your computer or is coming through another source. If you don't want to try AW, I don't blame you at all; the game is in a pretty poor state right now. But the client download is absolutely not infecting your computer with whatever nonsense that shitty, predatory, fear-monger program says it is.

To me it sounds like you still have some faith in Obsidian. I'd stop that if I were you.
Obsidian have time and time again shown to be utterly incompetent at vehicle balance. It's literally impossible that they're trying to design this game like other classes are supposed to have a chance or at least be somewhat relevant.
If you don't believe me, just queue for PvP.

Its ok. Tiers 3-7 are still quite enjoyable and the people I play with are competent enough to win enough even at higher tiers with suboptimal lineups so my peace of mind is assured. Also this whole holiday bs and some other games help.

Biggest issue I have with AW is the vision system. It works for low tier, but in higher tiers being practically permaspotted all the time means paper tanks are worse off than with wot arty.

This might only be my impression of course.

As you tier up view range increases and some of the softies lose camo. So pretty much the WoT problem where vision control is a tier scaling stat but maps don't really get bigger. At least WoT removes the super tiny maps from high tiers.

I've been one shot by arty via crew death twice in ~500 battles.

Thanks folks!  downloading now :)  We'll see how it goes

stopped the download after malwarebytes went nuts on the attempted p2p connections etc.  Checked with MB forum and they verified that these are not false positives.  Got a phone call from Mumbai India within minutes of my blocking those connections asking how my "network" was doing and if there were "any problems" .... idiot claimed to be from "windows"....

yeah...lolnope.... totally digging deep into my system now to clean out any crap left behind.  

Coincidence?  ... maybe/probably but I'm not chancing it

I don't recall giving AW my phone number and malwarebytes doesn't flag anything on my PC. I'm sure they are targeting you personally, actually. Do you have the nuclear launch codes secure?

Coincidence on the phone call?  yeah probably. Was the AW launcher trying to connect to IPs flagged by malwarebytes?  Yes, repeatedly so.  

You do know the my.com client is a peer-to-peer client, right? It will request files from other clients who are uploading their data (in this case it's the files for AW) and those individual clients will only send you files the client deemed part of the original requested data package.
If you're getting "flagged IP" warnings, that means nothing. It's like being scared of a dead crab because it might pinch you.

Thought about that after the fact so I'm glad you raised it.  With WoT and WoWS going that direction, you can still manually override it by editing the launcher file.  

I don't know enough about the my.com setup to know if that's possible without crashing the whole download. 

Got a few days yet to decide whether to give this thing another go.  I like that apparently AW isn't moddable.  That was one of the appeals of WT for me back in the day before I completely wrote gayjin off.

Took the big step and I'm downloading it myself  Got the basic game loaded it is finishing the hi DEF now and I really am enjoying thE tutorial so far.  I think I'm going to really like this game especially the no premium ammo and no mods part.  Highly recommend you consider this 

Took the big step and I'm downloading it myself  Got the basic game loaded it is finishing the hi DEF now and I really am enjoying thE tutorial so far.  I think I'm going to really like this game especially the no premium ammo and no mods part.  Highly recommend you consider this 

and then you'll eventually realise that without premium ammo how absurd a tank game can get