Folterknecht

Photography - the basics

Buy some camera. Post thousands of pictures on facebook. One of them might be half decent. Your ass-kissing friends tell you how great you are. Bam, you're now a photographer.

It has been my experience that teaching someone how to frame shots well is more important that teaching them camera mechanics.  

That also happens to be, by far, the most difficult part.

It has been my experience that teaching someone how to frame shots well is more important that teaching them camera mechanics.  

Might be the case, don't know as I m a photograph noob but at least knew what ISO, shutter and aperture are. I just found this video great for noobs with it's examples, who want to learn a little about that subject. Also refreshed my knowledge.

Because i'm old I learnt photography when film was still a thing and every press of the shutter button cost almost a dollar but the time you'd paid for good materials and processing and there was no "instant review, thats crap, try again"

Back then knowing HOW your camera worked was pretty important to avoid burning money.

I ended up earning a fair bit of money on the side shooting sports and events and even a couple of weddings while I was at Uni (enough to pay for most of my gear)

While a lot of photography is in the composition sometimes the composition you can achieve is dictated by your gear and knowing how a wide angle vs tele lens will take photos of the same subject or the effect of metering off a face instead of a background makes the difference between complete noobs and decent amateurs.

Jeebus, I sound so old now....

That also happens to be, by far, the most difficult part.

Is it?
Maybe for someone who is already an expert?
For the purposes of someone who is a complete newbie, I'd suggest that you start with framing.  
Many tips and tricks are logical and easy to attempt.  Going from completely ambivalent in framing to consciously picking your shots will produce gains in excess of the difficulty.  I'd rather look at an amateur's dynamic and interesting images from a point and shoot than to look at pictures taken technically precise of uninteresting subject matter.