Caudle_Family

Career WN8 question

Sorry I know this has been asked before, but I can't find it.

Is career WN8 computed on a per battle basis or a per tank basis.

What I mean is, I have lots of low tier tanks with bad records, but not a lot of battles.  

Does the final WN8 number average your tanks WN8 or the WN8 of each battle?

Do I have to go back and clean up all the tanks with bad scores, regardless of the number of battles?

My understanding is that its the number of battles with bad WN8 that drags down your career WN8, and that performing well in a high tier vehicle is just as good as going back to clean up the stats on a lower tier vehicle.

Thanks for your assistance!

You have less than 200 games. Do not worry about wn8 at all; it is useless anyway. Worry about learning the games mechanics and having fun. Chasing a useless metric will only make you miserable anyway.

To answer you question, going back and raising low tier tanks with poor wn8 will be no more effective at changing wn8 than playing whatever random vehicle you enjoy.

WN8 at the very core is calculated on a per-tank basis aggregated over all your battles. Shortcuts can be made so instead of calculating the WN8 value for every single battle and spitting out the mean, you take all your battles and get the mean for all the expected values, then apply them to the WN8 formula. Refer to the WNx wiki for a more in-depth explanation: http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/pages/WN8

WN7/8/xTE/Eff, are NOT designed to work on anything other than the game and platform it is designed from the ground up to work in. The game differences between console tanks and PC tanks is great enough that you cannot take PC values and just apply them to the other side, 3K WN8 on consoles is meaningless because the server averages and expected values are completely out of sync,  and most definitely do not equal to 3K WN8 on PC.

Here's a better analogy: 1 cm != 1 inch.

WN8 at the very core is calculated on a per-tank basis aggregated over all your battles. Shortcuts can be made so instead of calculating the WN8 value for every single battle and spitting out the mean, you take all your battles and get the mean for all the expected values, then apply them to the WN8 formula. Refer to the WNx wiki for a more in-depth explanation: http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/pages/WN8

WN7/8/xTE/Eff, are NOT designed to work on anything other than the game and platform it is designed from the ground up to work in. The game differences between console tanks and PC tanks is great enough that you cannot take PC values and just apply them to the other side, 3K WN8 on consoles is meaningless because the server averages and expected values are completely out of sync,  and most definitely do not equal to 3K WN8 on PC.

Here's a better analogy: 1 cm != 1 inch.

We don't have a set of values to use. We only got the data recently by hacking the server.  Therefore we go by the PC WN8.  You can sick a duck.

WN7/8/xTE/Eff, are NOT designed to work on anything other than the game and platform it is designed from the ground up to work in. The game differences between console tanks and PC tanks is great enough that you cannot take PC values and just apply them to the other side

Well, maybe. Following the same logic, you shouldn't use WN8 on the RU server or for people who play after midnight.

The expected values are a pretty poor match to reality on PC, so they're not necessarily any worse for console. Assuming that the game's still 15v15, tanks are mostly in the same tiers and hp spreads are similar then it would basically work.

Well, maybe. Following the same logic, you shouldn't use WN8 on the RU server or for people who play after midnight.

The expected values are a pretty poor match to reality on PC, so they're not necessarily any worse for console. Assuming that the game's still 15v15, tanks are mostly in the same tiers and hp spreads are similar then it would basically work.

I think the tier and hp spreads as well as tank balances are different on xbox vs pc.

I think the tier and hp spreads as well as tank balances are different on xbox vs pc.

Flicking through the wiki, the matchmaking chart looks basically identical and the stock hitpoints are a straight copy. It's possible that the hit points don't upgrade but I suspect that's a wiki limitation.

We don't have a set of values to use. We only got the data recently by hacking the server.  Therefore we go by the PC WN8.  You can sick a duck.

Being aggressive towards the first post that disagrees with you, or just challenges your statements, will not net you a lot of friends here. Try to discuss like normal people without resorting to such insults immediately.

Besides, hiding a swear like that is a bit childish. If you must do it, do it properly.

Please get back on track everyone. I have hidden all the off-topic stuff.

Flicking through the wiki, the matchmaking chart looks basically identical and the stock hitpoints are a straight copy. It's possible that the hit points don't upgrade but I suspect that's a wiki limitation.

Hit points upgrade with tanks (Xbox is what brought me to WoT, and then PC WoT).

The main difference is you can't pick what modules to research - the modules/path is chosen for you.

Also...unless WOT on Xbox has changed recently, you can't see other players stats...which makes finding wn8 rather...irrelevant.

Major differences include T10 TDs still running around with 850 alpha guns, the 183 toting 275 pen HESH shells and the 50B still being completely overshadowed by the T57 in gun handling. Somebody in the chat also mentioned map differences in that there are even less opportunities to play vision games (less bushes).

Surely there are more differences not listed here, but I wouldn't know since I don't play the damn game.

imo if anything WN7 is probably more accurate for xbox pixel tanks than WN8; since per-tier is probably similar (and the metric was developed in a similar era in tank balance to current console standards from my understanding) and I doubt anyone there would bother with attempting to pad more than they already inadvertently do. That, or you could go back and use some older expected values for WN8 but researching when and what was buffed/nerfed on PC and then extracting the relevant values sounds like a pain. tl;dr it really is basically a different game for you guys so I'd personally work with WG PR and looking over someone's stat page to determine if they're good or not. Until some data is made available, anyways.

Oh yes, that's  instantly -200 WN8 right there

Well no, because everyone else starts with 6th sense too. At most you'd get a slight boost to the expected values of low tier tanks relative to higher-tier tanks. It'd be a lot stronger if they didn't have the shitty old crew system.

The main static difference in WN8 would be the relative skill of the player base, but that's also true for NA vs RU and midnight vs mid-day. These stats only tell you how you're playing relative to who you're playing against.

Major differences include T10 TDs still running around with 850 alpha guns, the 183 toting 275 pen HESH shells and the 50B still being completely overshadowed by the T57 in gun handling.

WN8 v23-25 still places those tanks much closer to their pre-nerf than post-nerf capability, and they were always overrated for good players due to poor skill-scaling. You could use v22 instead but it wouldn't necessarily be better on average.

The vision point is interesting, but as far as I can tell, the relative class positions never changed much aside from arty (despite what you'd expect to be major TD map nerfs and HT buffs in PC WoT), and the arty expected values are trash anyway.

Hi all, I dont want to hijack the thread, but my question is the same as the OP's. 

I started playing at the end of the Beta, and my friends and I didn't really focus on anything other than having fun for the first year. 

So far I have played 15k games and have a wn8 of 1595, 

Looking at noobmeter and wot-life

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/eu/Greevance/500353914/

http://wot-life.com/eu/player/greevance-500353914/

Wn8 of 1900 for my last 80 games

1610 for my last 1,235 & 1760 for the last 7900 games. 

My question is which would be better go back and fix all my low wn8 tanks ? or carry on with those that are giving me 1800+ a session ?

Thanks for any insight.

A 3k WN8 game at tier 3 will pull your overall up just the same as a 3k game at tier 10, there is no point in going back to "fix" your stats unless you want to make your service record look better. To be completely honest, nobody look at your stats in low tier tanks anyway.

A 3k WN8 game at tier 3 will pull your overall up just the same as a 3k game at tier 10

The tier 10 game will actually increase your overall by more. With the standard WN8 calculation method, neither battle-weighting or tank-weighting are possible, so it instead battle-weights the expected values and uses those as a divisor for each overall stat:

Battle weighting: 2*total = (perfA / expA) + (perfB / expB)

WN8 method: total = (perfA + perfB) / (expA + expB)

The end result is that parameters with higher expected values are weighted more heavily in WN8 components. Because damage has a wider range and is the largest component in the formula, the general rule is that playing tanks with higher expected damage increases your overall WN8 more rapidly, assuming that you can beat the expected values by the same ratio.

Hi all, I dont want to hijack the thread, but my question is the same as the OP's. 

I started playing at the end of the Beta, and my friends and I didn't really focus on anything other than having fun for the first year. 

So far I have played 15k games and have a wn8 of 1595, 

Looking at noobmeter and wot-life

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/eu/Greevance/500353914/

http://wot-life.com/eu/player/greevance-500353914/

Wn8 of 1900 for my last 80 games

1610 for my last 1,235 & 1760 for the last 7900 games. 

My question is which would be better go back and fix all my low wn8 tanks ? or carry on with those that are giving me 1800+ a session ?

Thanks for any insight.

Hi Greevance, I come from a similar situation, except I was downright bad. Richard Nixon has the mathematical answer. The practical, is that there is no reason to go back and play those tanks, unless you specifically want to fix stats in them. You can, and I have, compensated for poor play at low tiers with good play at high tiers. Running sessions stats has shown me that essentially overall WN8 functions much like a straight average at our skill level.