ThomChen114

Some suggestions on what nation/line to play

This is a summary based on my personal observation and analysis on what some of the tank lines and classes of different nations are like. Feel free to comment or add anything I may have missed. I could be wrong on some stuff, but i'm not trying to spread false information, just a general guideline for what tank line you are looking for. This mostly applies to tanks above tier IV where you start getting the flavor of each line.

EDIT Included the tier X end goal tanks for each line.

So to begin:

-If you want a comfortable, not too difficult to play line, go Russian heavy and/or medium tank lines. (IS-7, IS-4 / T-62A, Obj 140, Obj 430)

-If you want flexibility and be a ridgeline warrior, USA! USA! USA! heavy or medium tank lines. (T110E5, M48A1 Patton)

-If you like a challenge with some unorthodox fighting styles with their autoloaders, go French heavy (later autoloader) tank line. (AMX 50B)

-If you want an even bigger challenge without any of the burst damage benefits the French offer at higher tiers, go Japanese medium tanks line. (STB-1)

-if you like the style of the French heavy autoloader tanks but wanted some more freedom and liberty, go USA autoloader line. (T57 Heavy)

-If you want to be a brick and shit bricks on other tanks, go Japanese heavy tanks line. (Type 5 Heavy)

-If you like being a slightly smaller brick and throw smaller (but more) bricks, go UK heavy tank line. (FV215b)

-If you like just a bit more speed than and later on be just as or even better ridgeline warriors than USA medium tanks, go UK medium tank line. (Centurion Action X)

-If you aren't offended or turned off by fascist box tanks wanted some all around armor with good accurate guns, go German heavy tanks. (E-100 / Maus)

-If you wanted some decent armor with also good accurate guns while being able to go a bit faster, go German medium tanks. (E-50M)

-If you can live without armor but want some good accurate guns and go even faster, go German light medium tank line. (Leopard I)

-If you dont mind having no armor for some concealment with some pretty punchy and later on deadly guns, go German glass-cannon TD line. (WaffleTrigger E-100)

-If you actually do prefer having some armor while having balanced and still punchy guns, go traditional German TD line. (Jagdpanzer E-100)

-If you just want big guns as well as good armor AND concealment (wait you can have it all?!), go Russian TDs. (Obj 268)

-If you like being a bit more laid back than the Russian TDs and not carrying not as big a gun but retaining the other two characteristics, then go Russian alternative TD line. (Obj 263)

-If you want some more flexible TDs, go USA turreted TD line. (T110E4)

-If you like to take your time and concentrate all firepower and armor to the front, go USA non-turreted TD line. (T110E3)

-If you wanted something similar to USA non-turreted TDs and don't mind weakspots pockmarked all over your tank, go UK assault TD line. (FV215b 183)

-If you wanted a half-hearted attempt to mimic the USA turreted TD line, go UK turreted TD line. (FV4005 II)

-If you like the idea of frontal armor and firepower of the USA non-turreted TDs but could use some more speed, go French TDs. (Foch 155)

-If you liked the Russian medium and heavy tanks and thought how funny it would be to switch the firepower of the two classes, then go try the Chinese. (121, 113)

Good luck on the battlefield.

These generalisations mostly make sense to people who have been playing the game for a while, but with so many caveats (that only experienced players recognise), I think it paints an incomplete picture of a line's characteristics for newer players. 

I think it's way more useful to group the lines based on their required skill floor and ceiling, along with their relevance in the current map and tier meta. Also, mentioning the end-tiers would be useful too, since most people would aspire to grind to a IX or X. 

These generalisations mostly make sense to people who have been playing the game for a while, but with so many caveats (that only experienced players recognise), I think it paints an incomplete picture of a line's characteristics for newer players. 

I think it's way more useful to group the lines based on their required skill floor and ceiling, along with their relevance in the current map and tier meta. Also, mentioning the end-tiers would be useful too, since most people would aspire to grind to a IX or X. 

ahoy prolix!

if new players wanted to find a more clear picture of each line they can go to a more specific forum thread or go on the wiki. this was just sort of a broadened look at some of the tank lines

that may be so, and i'll leave that to the rest of the forums to handle that (should put up links to those threads but what the hey)

it wasn't my reason for playing WoT. I was drawn by the historicity, to drive Shermans, Hellcats and Tigers etc and i was in no rush to get to tier X asap. and i assume that is the same for many new and veteran players as well, initially. but yeah it would help players to know what the end goal may be.