allenmark00

How do I IS-3?

I'm so used to the IS-1's mobility that it's at the point that where I can't keep up with my team in the IS-3 with my 91% crew, upgraded engine, and stock tracks. Realizing that I can't brawl going 20ish km/h, I second line snipe or just AFK since I have no way to engage when I'm bottom tier. On the plus side, the 25T is good for mauling tier 8s and the hull armor can bounce their shells. But I'm blind on my own and it's basically dead weight at Tier X. Now I know why this tank is so easy to kill.

How to IS-3

Step 1: Use your W key

Step 2 :....

Step 3: Profit

IS-3 is one of the easiest tanks to play tier for tier

never snipe, just, literally, drive up to the enemy and shoot them in the face

He might have a hard time using the w key if he really is afk....

Also there is a thread on the first page about the top gun/turret of the IS-3...seems like he might find some answers in that thread as well.

I second line snipe or just AFK since I have no way to engage when I'm bottom tier. But I'm blind on my own and it's basically dead weight at Tier X.

WAT? Go with your heavies and support them if you're bottom tier.  Why even play the game if you're going to go AFK?

On a seperate note, who writes the wiki? And why would they recommend the turret over upgrading the gun?

Because the D-25T is relatively strong still, while the stock turret is garbage but the elite is nigh impenetrable. 

Because the D-25T is relatively strong still, while the stock turret is garbage but the elite is nigh impenetrable. 

I actually argue the other case.

The D-25T is utterly useless in T10 matchups, and the stock turret is still quite usable (especially no bullshit 20mm roof). BL-9 fits quite well on the stock turret anyhow.

Here's some gameplay of me scrubbing it up on Sacred Valley with one:

You seem to have a profound misunderstanding of high tiers.
If you are playing tier 8+, it is no longer acceptable to bring crappy crews, no 6th sense, participate in miserable stock grinds, etc.  

The reaction to things going rough should be to step back and figure out how to fix it, not to AFK, which isn't fair to your teammates.  
For instance, you could go back to the KV-1 (or KV-1s), train a crew to just past the first complete skill.  First skill would be 6th and repairs.  Then, start training the second skill WITHOUT selecting what the skill will be.  This "free" crew xp will filter down to the primary qualification when you retrain them to the IS-3, and you can have a solid crew without spending gold.  Be sure to start training repairs on the commander after you swap him over.
Alternatively, why don't you transfer your IS crew to the IS-3?  

The other benefit to the KV-1 training strategy is that you will earn free XP to be able to use on the fantastic BL-9 which makes the gun useful in all of its tiers.  
You should earn/convert enough free xp to get the top gun before you continue.  

Please stop AFKing.  Please stop using a severely gimped tank.  It is your responsibility to make sure your tank is capable.  You certainly shouldn't be running it without good equipment either (vert stabs, rammer, vents/GLD).  

and yup, top turret is far less important than engine/tracks/gun.  I think I used free XP on just the gun and tracks, and ground out the rest.

Gun is top priority, then turret, lastly engine.  Get tracks whenever weight requirements force you to; I forget what you can mount with stock tracks.

Well, I did transfer my IS-1 crew to the IS-3 when I bought it, hence the 91% crew. But I have to check tommorow on what skills do I have on them. About free Exping the BL-9: I'm already trying that with my KV-1; but since I have no Gold income, free xp conversion is out. Sometimes I wish that there is an PvE mode where stock tanks can't be an cancer to their teams or MM could be rewired to stop adding stock tanks in bottom tier.

Well, I did transfer my IS-1 crew to the IS-3 when I bought it, hence the 91% crew. But I have to check tommorow on what skills do I have on them. About free Exping the BL-9: I'm already trying that with my KV-1; but since I have no Gold income, free xp conversion is out. Sometimes I wish that there is an PvE mode where stock tanks can't be an cancer to their teams or MM could be rewired to stop adding stock tanks in bottom tier.

Just play some other tanks until you accumulate some free XP.  I don't think I've converted a single bit of excess XP to free XP.

even stock and even in tier 10 games the tank is stupidly noob freindly

Worst case scenario, you are trying to fight tier 10 heavies frontally while stock using a trackpad, just autoaim them with HE and plink away for 200 damage a hit

also, just stop being dumb and giving up.

Edited by zapyoug

even stock and even in tier 10 games the tank is stupidly noob freindly

Worst case scenario, you are trying to fight tier 10 heavies frontally while stock using a trackpad, just autoaim them with HE and plink away for 200 damage a hit

also, just stop being dumb and giving up.

I think 200 damage from a non-penning HE round against Tier 10 HTs is a bit optimistic unless you shoot an E5 in the rear hull.

I think 200 damage from a non-penning HE round against Tier 10 HTs is a bit optimistic unless you shoot an E5 in the rear hull.

yep you're basically shooting tier 5 KV-1s derp at tier 10s

Hide lower plate, point pike towards enemy, bounce enemy.

Point BL-9 towards enemy, pen enemy and laugh on into the night.

yep you're basically shooting tier 5 KV-1s derp at tier 10s

Pretty much.  What's the IS gun's HE alpha anyway?  450 or so?  Any non-pen will immediately get cut to 50%, then knock off 110% of the raw thickness of the armor it hits.  Hit a 200mm thick plate and you're looking at doing an average of like 5 damage.  Hit a 150mm plate and you'll average around 60 damage.  Hit a 100mm plate and you'll average about 115 damage - 76mm Sherman damage, but done at an IS-3's RoF.

HE is not worth much unless you hit very thin armor or you're finishing off a wounded tank.

Pretty much.  What's the IS gun's HE alpha anyway?  450 or so?  Any non-pen will immediately get cut to 50%, then knock off 110% of the raw thickness of the armor it hits.  Hit a 200mm thick plate and you're looking at doing an average of like 5 damage.  Hit a 150mm plate and you'll average around 60 damage.  Hit a 100mm plate and you'll average about 115 damage - 76mm Sherman damage, but done at an IS-3's RoF.

HE is not worth much unless you hit very thin armor or you're finishing off a wounded tank.

compared to going AFK/camping in the back and not doing anything, thats still uesful

compared to going AFK/camping in the back and not doing anything, thats still uesful

Correct, I was just pointing out you were being overoptimistic about the amount of damage 122mm HE is gonna do versus the front end of a Tier 10 HT.

Correct, I was just pointing out you were being overoptimistic about the amount of damage 122mm HE is gonna do versus the front end of a Tier 10 HT.

I had 304 damage against tier 10s in mind