allenmark00

How do I IS-3?

First game of the day, on a map that I rarely see. Well I got an pen...But the team was dropping like flies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1n1AeyqPDA&feature=youtu.be

A huge part of this game is positioning, and if you don't know where to go on a map, find some replays of good players on that map and see what they do.  you way over extended with the O-Ni.  you have to learn to play nicer with allies too.  you blocked him out, don't ever be behind an ally in his escape route.  Good call getting away though, rather than staying in place to get hit again.  When the 54mod1 (really good armor) comes over the ridge toward you, you take a wild full boom shot at him.  you should have aimed.  you are going to bounce him frequently if you take wild random shots at him.  you should have clung to the ridge instead of venturing far away from it.  you are out in the open again.  If you come across a tank and can't pen it, go to tanks.gg and look at its armor profile and compare the numbers to your gun's average pen.  

Me being an coward after seeing an AX and thinking that he wasn't alone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_xXlaFYaI

don't wait 7 seconds to start, don't stop to type, stop complaining, stop blaming your teams, stop making excuses.  I'd suggest that you should stop typing entirely.  you are probably exasperating your teams with everything you say.

deployment is critical, and you are letting the game get away from you.  You have had line of sight to a single enemy the whole game when you are the last guy left on your team.  Pick a side, and work it.  if you must, be a support heavy working beside someone else as they tank shots.  but get up to the battle.  Of course the AX wasn't alone, but most of your team was there with you.  

You could probably get a lot of good tips by watching people stream on twitch, especially zeven.  you would see the locations they use, and how they work side by side with other people to protect their hitpoints and to bleed the enemies.  

You titled the video "the reason my WR/WN8 is shit", and it is VERY clear.  you don't participate in your games.  Honestly, you seem to be drowning at tier 8.  It is way past your comfort level.  It is so far past your current ability, that I can't imagine it being fun or even a learning atmosphere.  If you think it is bad now, tier 9 and 10 get even less forgiving.  The fact that you blame your team for this is evidence that you aren't aware of what is happening.  I'd suggest playing more at tier 5-6.  They are far more forgiving and you can practice skills there without getting trounced.  If you want to improve, you have got to get up to a level of skill wherein you can analyze your own play and pull lessons from the experiences.  Below that threshold, improvement is VERY slow.    

I never was that big on teamwork in WoT on account of how one-sided the losses can be and I'm usually on my own. I'm know that I'm wrong for using them as an meatshield, but I just can't help it since I was expecting something steamroll resistant at the higher tiers while I try to farm an hit or two of damage. I thought if I'd left for a few weeks, that the gameplay would improve; but I'm obviously in the wrong and I'm dying faster than my grind through the KT.

I never was that big on teamwork in WoT on account of how one-sided the losses can be and I'm usually on my own. I'm know that I'm wrong for using them as an meatshield, but I just can't help it since I was expecting something steamroll resistant at the higher tiers while I try to farm an hit or two of damage. I thought if I'd left for a few weeks, that the gameplay would improve; but I'm obviously in the wrong and I'm dying faster than my grind through the KT.

well firstly, really good games can end up 15-5.  the first 2-3 min are the best part because that is when the game is still in flux, and before the game has snowballed.  A few key engagements can result in a big overmatch that auto-wins a side.  You need to be IN the battle, side-by-side, sharing HP, using the meatshields or being a meatshield in that crucial first engagement.  

if you hang in the back until the point where the battle is already lost on your side, you go a LONG way towards creating a crap winrate.  If you are on your own, there is a 95% chance that at some point in the game, you were not where you were supposed to be.  The gameplay does improve at higher tiers...but only if you are solid in the fundamentals.  As you go up, more and more people know how to play, and the game becomes less about "do I know where to point my tank?" and more about "how do I punish the mistakes and counter the strong moves of my opponents?"  

If you have money and you decide to grind 150 battles in a stock tier 8 rather than spend like $20 to free exp some critical modules, you're retarded.

Is $20 really worth what is most likely one week of your free-time being consumed by a stock grind?

I have nothing else to say

How do people need to spend money to avoid stock grinds?  I almost always have enough free XP naturally accumulated to research something critical for my tanks.

By "avoid stock grinds" are you talking about equipping all the top modules before the first match, or just something?

How do people need to spend money to avoid stock grinds?  I almost always have enough free XP naturally accumulated to research something critical for my tanks.

By "avoid stock grinds" are you talking about equipping all the top modules before the first match, or just something?

Obviously everyone doesn't have your willpower with free xp. Impatience is a huge part of WG's business model.

The whole "I have money but I play for free" thing is so bs. 

A small monetary investment will prevent hours of boring, stressful grinding. Your time is always worth more than the few dollars you feed to WG for free xp.

And you never have enough free xp accumulated naturally to research more than an upgraded suspension or turret on a new rank unless you play a lot of "fun" tanks or prems. That's usually only about 1/5 or less of the total required xp to finish the stock grind. 

Obviously everyone doesn't have your willpower with free xp. Impatience is a huge part of WG's business model.

Granted.  I guess part of the deal is that I don't buy tanks all that fast because I run through credits faster than I do free XP, usually; by the time I have enough credits to buy something, I usually have enough free XP accumulated to get a couple critical modules.

The whole "I have money but I play for free" thing is so bs. 

A small monetary investment will prevent hours of boring, stressful grinding. Your time is always worth more than the few dollars you feed to WG for free xp.

And you never have enough free xp accumulated naturally to research more than an upgraded suspension or turret on a new rank unless you play a lot of "fun" tanks or prems. That's usually only about 1/5 or less of the total required xp to finish the stock grind. 

Right, I don't research everything at once with converted XP.  Nor is grinding all that boring and stressful for me, at least not with most tanks.  I look carefully into what I think needs to be free XPed, and what I can grind.  I remember burning free XP on the Tiger I's top turret, I burned some to get the first 120 on the M103, I burned some to get the top gun, turret and tracks on the IS-3...but other tanks worked just fine right out of the box, most notably the KT and E 75.  I think the T32 I free XPed the tracks, and the gun and engine carried over from the T29, leaving me only the turret to research.

Also, I don't play free; I've been on a spree of buying premiums, and I will almost certainly run premium account the rest of the time I play.  I just don't see the necessity of sidestepping the grind 100%, and taking tanks out fully researched the first match, rather than just judiciously using accumulated free XP.

I agree that using gold is about how patient you are. If you're not in a hurry with your grinds, playing some 10-20 doubles daily generates quite a bit of free XP. If your priority is grinding new tanks instead of playing the ones you already have, gold will get you there.

Watch some of Zeven's stream and try his approach. You should actually be fighting more against the enemy than against your own team. Don't farm damage for yourself. Rather, consider yourself a shepherd that steers allies into positions where they can deal the maximum amount of damage combined. The game is about positioning to create local over-match where, at any given time, your team has more effective guns engaged than the enemy does.

I value my time at more than $1.60 an hour.

In addition it would cost me $15 an hour in scotch or bourbon from the stress.

As far as is3, the top gun is what the tank is all about. It's what makes it.

Some tanks have good stock grinds, like 416. Others are just awful even if fully upgraded. Most are built around a module that makes the tank, the IS3 its the BL9. Just keep playing the tank before it to build that crew and get the free XP to get that essential module.

This is more important at your skill level. A very good player can get away with, but will still be gimped, without that important module. Without that skill level you need to lean more on a tanks good qualities even though you are not skilled enough to exploit them.

this tank in a nutshell for me:

>bring S & L repair kits

>go to closest brawl zone

>sidescrape booty pressed against the wall when in combat mode

>?????

>scoot, rinse & repeat

>Enjoy ~59% overall 90% solopubbed

I prefer the T32 more honestly because it can use it's turret with -10 and doesn't have the crude Russian gun qualities that makes even Ural Potato Tractors look like Bentleys in comparison.

On a seperate note, how does one reach eggplant wn8 in this thing? I'm almost stagnate at 2.3k. What is the secret?

Or 3 marks... got to 91%, then back to 89% and I seem to bounce between those two.

I know I'm bad but man this frustrating.

How to play the IS-3:

Point front towards enemy tanks.

press w

Click at red tanks.

Click again. (around x12)

???
Profit!

Seriously though, the reverse side scraping on this thing isn't balanced. You can reverse sidescrape a hole bunch of tier 10 heavies. Only issue is you might get oneshotted via engine dek by arty.

1 hour ago, Serene_Potato said:

How to play the IS-3:

Point front towards enemy tanks.

press w

Click at red tanks.

Click again. (around x12)

???
Profit!

Seriously though, the reverse side scraping on this thing isn't balanced. You can reverse sidescrape a hole bunch of tier 10 heavies. Only issue is you might get oneshotted via engine dek by arty.

Honestly, all the armor buffs are just overkill almost to the point of wasted excess. I have a public replay where I bounced 5.5k damage on Overlord frontally using a incline of less than 5 degrees while hiding my LFP behind a trench mound.

I feel this tank is UP. WG RU pls buff IS-3 by giving T-10 top speed and engine. I can't use my armor effectively enough :^) inb4 buff.

I miss it when the IS-3 had a small 20mm overmatch zone bottom section of the side armor. It felt fair at least against other 8's.

I freeexped to the top gun but I used the stock 122 on the kv4 and it worked rather well there. Just go with the glut of the heavy force or if your heavies are idiots and don't go to the right places go to a place where you expect to encounter meds at a short distance, you will pen meds at a short range. 

If you are in a heavy area just avoid shooting at e75's stI's and thougher t10's . There will always be a few soft targets, turned turrets, overangled sides. 

I mean, this is ridiculous.

I can't even lose money on my IS-3 nowadays with a standard account. Just...what?

My tank is completely destroyed, only did 2.7k damage, and still earned 4k credits.

I need some serious help with this tank. I did very well in the IS and IS-2B and but with IS-3 I seem to be on a constant roller coaster. Playing with it makes me want to rip my hair out half the time. I just don't understand how I can be doing so bad with a tank so highly regarded. The only time I seem to do reasonably well is when I fire premium ammo but that gets expensive pretty fast. Whether I side scrape or point my pike nose at the enemy, nothing helps, I get penned like the tank is made of cardboard. And I can't even count how many IS-3 replays/videos I've watched on how to play it, it just doesn't seem to do me much good. Please help.

8 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

Hull down, your hull armor is worthless

lift your gun up so it blocks your shitty-ass roof

So I guess I wasn't imagining that my hull armor is kind of crap. I just heard from everybody how troll the armor is but I guess it's just as troll if not worse for the actual player driving it.

Thanks dude! :)

Hull armor works for below ~200 pen guns if you face them straight on.

If they got 200+ pen your lfp / ufp is shit and they can just shoot through it, even if you are facing them straight. (like Tiger II, other IS-3s, AMX 50 100, T32s with apcr, let alone T9 and T10 tanks)

If you try to sidescrape / angle your tank you unangle your pike nose and that gets even easier to pen. (~170 needed for that)

And don't forget that most other heavy tanks are taller than you which also helps them.

TL,DR: enemy tank below ~200pen, no problem, above ~200pen, hide your hull as much as possible