graukatze

What is your FOV (Field of View) setting, and why?

I have a question regarding sensitity when switching FoV. Does it adjust accordingly? Because I had a lot of trouble doing autoaim snapshots due to sense being way too high, so had to put it down to minimum and now I feel like I'm playing CS:GO with all the arm waving

It does help with awareness though, especially while brawling since you can actually notice tanks behind you and where they're looking and so on so I think I'll keep it on 120 despite being more comfy in 95, but I really think the more awareness the better

I'm fairly sure the mouse input -> output stays the same, but your perception changes. It's kinda like how changing your aspect ratio in CS makes your aim feel off, even though nothing has changed with your mouse input. 

I could be be completely wrong, and if I am, someone please correct me. 

Mine is at 120 because my ultra wide. at 21:9 I need to increase the FOV in every game but sometimes it fucks with me. It can screw me up in games where I think I am hidden but really not.

Depending on the size of the monitor, it -at least to me- determines how high I should set my FoV.
Setting it too high will make it have a fish eye effect, while setting it too low strains my eyes and makes me motion sick.

I set 21.5" monitors to 125°, 24" monitors to 100° and 27" monitors to 90°.

And what if, say, you were using a 42" tv as your monitor? And not sitting any further away. 

I dont think Ive messed with it since it became an option. Ill have to check mine when I get home later

And what if, say, you were using a 42" tv as your monitor? And not sitting any further away.

It would fall off my desk.

Anywhere from 80-95 is ok. Any higher and honestly it's dumb imho. Sure it means you can see things as a whole better, but it also means you can't focus on what is in front of you as much.

Think of it this way:
Do you want all-encompassing but shallow knowledge or deep but very compacted knowledge?

Ideally you want a mix between the two.

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or make the old one rise from the grave...

A replay paused and screenshots at different FOV with an ultrawide monitor.

FOV 95

FOV-95.jpg

FOV 110

FOV-110.jpg

FOV 120

FOC-120.jpg

FOV 95

FOV-95-1.jpg

FOV 110

FOV-110-1.jpg

FOV 120

FOV-120-1.jpg

In the garage the proportions of the German box tanks don't seem to change at all between 95 FOV and 110 FOV.

I set mine to 120 some months ago for the sake of testing and forgot to ever set it back. Obviously it's not a huge deal, but after being reminded by the latest FoV discussions I put it back to 105 & don't think I'll be increasing it again. I don't know if its just me being an inferior being, but the increased situational awareness of having a super high FoV is more than counteracted by the lack of focus. There's also something subtle that makes lower FoVs look better to me, but I can't place my finger on it. Having so much more of my view being this stretched skybox puts me off.

3 hours ago, Rexxie said:

I set mine to 120 some months ago for the sake of testing and forgot to ever set it back. Obviously it's not a huge deal, but after being reminded by the latest FoV discussions I put it back to 105 & don't think I'll be increasing it again. I don't know if its just me being an inferior being, but the increased situational awareness of having a super high FoV is more than counteracted by the lack of focus. There's also something subtle that makes lower FoVs look better to me, but I can't place my finger on it. Having so much more of my view being this stretched skybox puts me off.

Well, I feel sometimes like you.

But I like to run on max FOV+zoom out and zoom in mods (32x, not WG crappy 27 or whatever) for max situational awareness.

Zooming out you lose focus...but even the "normal" max FOV is too big for me mostly...but i like to keep it there. I go around on max FOV and just one tough of a mouse zoomed in if I am going to see actual combat soon.

On 平成27年12月30日 at 1:10 PM, graukatze said:

Lol, I got 38k battles and only now I realize this - so much more information...my head is spinning....

Just like the Windows bar in your profile picture?

On 1/16/2016 at 11:57 PM, Fulcrous said:

Anywhere from 80-95 is ok. Any higher and honestly it's dumb imho. Sure it means you can see things as a whole better, but it also means you can't focus on what is in front of you as much.

Think of it this way:
Do you want all-encompassing but shallow knowledge or deep but very compacted knowledge?

Ideally you want a mix between the two.

You can still focus on what's in front of you, it doesn't really affect your aiming that much. It may look weird at first but once you get used to it, anything less than 120 is just gimping yourself imo. 

38 minutes ago, _Dia said:

You can still focus on what's in front of you, it doesn't really affect your aiming that much. It may look weird at first but once you get used to it, anything less than 120 is just gimping yourself imo. 

The real reason is that I have to squint more.