CN_Minus

T54 Help

I just got a T54 and I thought I would do well in it. Turns out I completely suck. I know I know, the T54 is an OP tank that no one should have a problem with, but unfortunately I do. I hate to explain the problem with statistics, but it's the best way I can. I started out with about 3.2k dpg, then it became 3k, then 2.8k, then 2.6k, then 2.4k at 41 battles. As for WR, i'd say it's all over the place. I've been told that to get better you should play many battles in one tank, but so far that isn't working. Every game it seems like i'm not doing enough or I have to chase what little damage exists. So what I guess I'm asking for is for advice, tips, anything really, from skilled players to improve performance, endurance, pleasure :trollface:  game play, efficiency, etc. I really want to like this tank, but so far it makes me :(

btw upvotes for constructive comments

I just got a T54 and I thought I would do well in it. Turns out I completely suck. I know I know, the T54 is an OP tank that no one should have a problem with, but unfortunately I do. I hate to explain the problem with statistics, but it's the best way I can. I started out with about 3.2k dpg, then it became 3k, then 2.8k, then 2.6k, then 2.4k at 41 battles. As for WR, i'd say it's all over the place. I've been told that to get better you should play many battles in one tank, but so far that isn't working. Every game it seems like i'm not doing enough or I have to chase what little damage exists. So what I guess I'm asking for is for advice, tips, anything really, from skilled players to improve performance, endurance, pleasure :trollface:  game play, efficiency, etc. I really want to like this tank, but so far it makes me :(

btw upvotes for constructive comments

I'm god awful in mediums but I want to help. How well did you do in your T-44? The general playstyle should be the same. Exception with the T-54 is you get HEAT to fight against everything whereas the T-44 was 200 pen or zilch. How do you play your T-54 in terms of positioning and strategy? (more oriented towards brawly brawly at heavy zones or are you sniping tons?)

one thing you should know: the T-54 isn't a sniper or support tank, even in tier 10. its a get up in your face and brawl everything yoloswag tank.

literally you play it by yoloing as hard as you can and out brawling everything you see. 

(not literally, it was an exaggeration on how I play it)

I would say you were doing something correct when you first got it.

Did anything in your gameplay change while playing it? Like did you get more passive? Or perhaps over-extending too much?

At this moment OP has 41 games in the T54. He says he began with good DPG. I say he had a good streak at first and drew hasty conclusions.

I mean his present 2,5k DPG on it seems pretty well in line with the stats of his other tanks. 3k+ would have seemed a real oddity on his track record, so I think it much more likely he just had a lucky start, which began to gradually level itself out once he got more games in it. Though with only 40 games, there's still a lot of RNG involved, so I wouldn't go assuming much before he's had a bit longer run in the tank.

I would say you were doing something correct when you first got it.

Did anything in your gameplay change while playing it? Like did you get more passive? Or perhaps over-extending too much?

I think more passive now because of the amount of arty lately :/ It feels like im not doing enough in games where I'm top tier, so yeah I guess im being too passive :(

I'm god awful in mediums but I want to help. How well did you do in your T-44? The general playstyle should be the same. Exception with the T-54 is you get HEAT to fight against everything whereas the T-44 was 200 pen or zilch. How do you play your T-54 in terms of positioning and strategy? (more oriented towards brawly brawly at heavy zones or are you sniping tons?)

I did ok in the T44, but near the end of the grind it got bad for some reason. I didn't change anything...I play the T54 frontlines with some sniping.

one thing you should know: the T-54 isn't a sniper or support tank, even in tier 10. its a get up in your face and brawl everything yoloswag tank.

literally you play it by yoloing as hard as you can and out brawling everything you see. 

(not literally, it was an exaggeration on how I play it)

When I got it, I thought the armor would be really good. Turns out it's not. I'll be at or near the frontlines, lets say on Fjords for example, on E5 when a WZ120 tries to rush me then fails, but for some odd reason a WT pz 4 follows him and pens my turret with the 150mm...

At this moment OP has 41 games in the T54. He says he began with good DPG. I say he had a good streak at first and drew hasty conclusions.

I mean his present 2,5k DPG on it seems pretty well in line with the stats of his other tanks. 3k+ would have seemed a real oddity on his track record, so I think it much more likely he just had a lucky start, which began to gradually level itself out once he got more games in it. Though with only 40 games, there's still a lot of RNG involved, so I wouldn't go assuming much before he's had a bit longer run in the tank.

I played like 5 games the first day i bought it. That turned into 15 game sessions in a single tank, which i never do, because when I have a bad game i try to play another one to balance that out and you know how that goes in WoT.

I had a VERY similar trajectory in the T-54, but I even took it down further to 1750 average DPG at 409 battles. Sold it, and only repurchased it earlier in the fall. My playstyle has significantly changed in it, and for the better.

1) Dont use the armor to bounce, use the armor to troll and minimize exposure

2) Help minimize that exposure with liberal amounts of cHEAT.

3) Maximize knowledge of reload times between tanks, know when you can 2 for 1 safely and get most of your tank covered before a return shot.

4) Its the perfect tank to be the "Wrong tank class in the right position" tank, which harkens towards @Assassin7's brawling comments: IE - Top tier on Himmels, not a lot of tier 9 HTs? OWN the Tank Alley on the 8 line

I cannot tell you shit about how to drive your tank, but I can tell you that statistics are a harsh mistress.

DPGWhores shows you are at 98% on server in DPG with only 41 battles, you are only ~2 pens per game from being top 50 NA, so I figure patience is all you need. I'd say you might be looking at little more than normal variation within a small sample size.

I'd say a LOT of people a seeing statistical anomaly's during the X5 week and the school holidays in general.

Don't rely on the turret armor of a t-54.  You shouldn't be playing a game where your confident when hull down with it like you can with a 62a.  To be most successful with medium tanks you need to have a nice balance of passive/aggro gameplay, or to sum it up, smart gameplay.  Playing a t-54 when you're top tier is going to be drastically different than when you're in a lobby with a multitude of t10s.  Top tier t54, you can get away with playing very aggro as the armor is going to be good enough to be fairly consistent against the tanks you're facing, just be smart if you're trying to play a hull down game against t9s with higher pen guns.  As for t10 games, getting initial spots or just taking a good position is crucial to get some early damage in and establish some control over an area, but you do want to be much more mindful of the tanks you're peeking against and, this is just a general rule, don't be afraid to ditch an area when it's obvious that you will get overmatched and die; use its speed and camo to your advantage.  Honestly there is no special way or tricks to playing a t-54 or any other ru med, they are about as close to straightforward medium tank gameplay as you can get.

Also, don't use statistics like that to get an idea of how you should be playing in it, even at 41 games the sample size is near meaningless and you shouldn't attempt draw any conclusions from what your dpg/win rate was in the first few games.