MoonMewn

KV-1 tactics?

So I've started going down the Russian heavy line and after getting past the hell that is the T-26 and T-48 at Tiers 3 and 4 respectively, I've found the KV-1. Now from my experience in the American mediums, I know that the KV-1 CAN be a dangerous machine, but the way I am using it is not as effective. 

Now, I'm wondering what some of you guys did to make this tank one of the more dangerous on the battlefield

Tactics vary according to which gun you're using.

85mm most used and probably best because least situational.

57mm pew pew for accuracy, gold pen and DPM (I think).  You'll do a Dr. Evil laugh if you draw Steppes but cry if you draw Himmelsdorf.

122mm derp for alpha, HE reliability and HEAT one-shot power.  You'll do a Dr. Evil laugh if you draw Himmelsdorf but cry if you draw Steppes.

As somebody said, turret is good, hull good angled but you must angle or somebody will pen you repeatedly in the nearly vertical plate above the autobounce plate.

Try not to fall behind the action.

Learn to sidescrape off of anything hard, keep your turret hidden during reloads, pew pew, drive forward, rinse, repeat.  Learning to sidescrape now is pretty crucial to both lines of russian heavies - might as well master it early and often.

(Like everybody says, the turret is good, but learning to duck while reloading is an important part of sidescraping, plus HE to the turret hurts)

Great tank to learn angling and sidescraping because the optimal angle is so close to 45 degrees. For starters, you can simply point the front corner of your tank at the red tank.

Learn to sidescrape off of anything hard, keep your turret hidden during reloads, pew pew, drive forward, rinse, repeat.  Learning to sidescrape now is pretty crucial to both lines of russian heavies - might as well master it early and often.

(Like everybody says, the turret is good, but learning to duck while reloading is an important part of sidescraping, plus HE to the turret hurts)

This. I've gotten much better at side scraping more recently, but its still a little difficult to side scrape effectively (for me, at least), and still keep from being outflanked. Sometimes my team will be aggressive and push the enemy back, meaning I have to find a new position, or risk being outflanked by small mediums and lights while they rush to protect their cap, or assist heavies/tds. Part of this is due to me only having the second engine, and my average damage per battle in the KV-1 is less than impressive. I do enjoy it, however, even though it is a lumbering giant, as of now. 

No it's not.

It's an easily penetratable flat potato.

for tier 5 it is, good mantlet, rounded edges

considering the average pen of tier 5 is about 115, which is the thickness of the turret -5 (angles not included) its pretty good

I see you're only 19 games into this tank but ff you're going to grind out this tank make sure your crew has skills/perks Brother in Arms and repair. Also if you can get your crew Situational awareness and Recon. You'll want to increase your view range for those 'low tier' games when you're hanging back and sniping at tier 7's with the 85mm.

Fully armed with BIA, rammer, vents, GLD and the 85mm this tank is a fucking monster! And IMO the T-150 is just as good.

Oh and buy Premium to help speed up crew training and credits. It's worth every penny when grinding out tanks.

Good luck!

get in a platoon. either with some other KVs or some mediums to make up for your lack of mobility

the 85mm is a versatile choice, packing enough punch at most ranges you'll be fighting at.

the 57mm i wouldnt recommend, you might as well get the T-34, and with the introduction of the Jap heavies you cant afford to do miniscule damage compared to them

the 122mm is inconsistent unless you fire sprem. best bet is to go in a platoon if you use the derp, to have a platoon mate make up for your lower RoF. the 122 suffers at point blank, particularly since if you miss you're dead against some circling medium or light tank

if you can help it never engage more than 1 enemy tank and waggle your hull if you are in the open in front of him. keep your distance from most mediums or light tanks that may get in and try to flank you

i'd recommend packing a tool box or train up a good repair crew, since you should expect to get the tracks blown off and the sooner you dont stay still the better (as well as saving that repair kit for other internal modules)

like the others prior said, watch some replays, they'll help

No it's not.

for tier 5 it is, good mantlet, rounded edges

considering the average pen of tier 5 is about 115, which is the thickness of the turret -5 (angles not included) its pretty good

Turret sides aren't hard to pen, center of turret front is a bitch to pen.

Not totally related to the KV-1, but do most people use the replay system in the game? I just feel like it's very clunky, so I started recording my games using OBS, but it doesn't give an in-game experience, so I'll only have my perspective ... Just wondering.

I see you're only 19 games into this tank but ff you're going to grind out this tank make sure your crew has skills/perks Brother in Arms and repair. Also if you can get your crew Situational awareness and Recon. You'll want to increase your view range for those 'low tier' games when you're hanging back and sniping at tier 7's with the 85mm.

Fully armed with BIA, rammer, vents, GLD and the 85mm this tank is a fucking monster! And IMO the T-150 is just as good.

Oh and buy Premium to help speed up crew training and credits. It's worth every penny when grinding out tanks.

Good luck!

My financial situation in-game is really going to limit what modules I can use on this tank, but as of now the the crew is sitting at around 80 percent, I believe, and I plan on first skill commander being 6th sense (I think this might not be the best choice on this tank, as it is pretty slow ... What would be better? Repairs?), then the rest of the crew getting Repairs, then BiA for my 2nd skill on everyone, just so that I can get the added bonus of 5 crew having BiA, rather than one or two guys. 

Also, would 1st skill Situational Awareness and Recon be better than repairs, or no? Obviously the repair speed with 5 crew members having repairs rather than 2 or 3 is going to be higher, but how much will that affect the in-game speed vs. the effect that SA and Recon would have on the tanks performance?

No it's not.

From what I've experienced ... Yea, it's not the greatest but it's not bad either. If you can get into a good spot on say El Halluf or Fiery, in a T5 battle, yea it's not bad. What I do not like is how it performs at T6/7, because the avg pen there is something ... Well it's definitely higher than my frontal turret armor. Angling helps, of course, but it's tough to get into an effective hull down position in some of those matches because of this tanks mediocre camo rating and the T6/7 scouts spotting you for arty, and then arty potatoes you. That's just what I think, I know it can take some punishment, just not when it isn't top tier.

get in a platoon. either with some other KVs or some mediums to make up for your lack of mobility

the 85mm is a versatile choice, packing enough punch at most ranges you'll be fighting at.

the 57mm i wouldnt recommend, you might as well get the T-34, and with the introduction of the Jap heavies you cant afford to do miniscule damage compared to them

the 122mm is inconsistent unless you fire sprem. best bet is to go in a platoon if you use the derp, to have a platoon mate make up for your lower RoF. the 122 suffers at point blank, particularly since if you miss you're dead against some circling medium or light tank

if you can help it never engage more than 1 enemy tank and waggle your hull if you are in the open in front of him. keep your distance from most mediums or light tanks that may get in and try to flank you

i'd recommend packing a tool box or train up a good repair crew, since you should expect to get the tracks blown off and the sooner you dont stay still the better (as well as saving that repair kit for other internal modules)

85mm is really the only thing I'm ever going to use. The pen on the 57 is pretty bad, the 122 is really only going to be used if I just want to have a little fun, and then the other guns just aren't even worth considering. 

Engaging 1 tank at a time has been a challenge. If I can get into a nice position (still have to one ... :kjugh:) then it'll be easier but right now I'm putting myself in a spot to fail when I have 2 tanks poking around a corner doing no damage, but also no support from my team and then having a small scout flank, turn turret, boom, dead. I should watch some replays.

Thanks, again, I am probably wrong about quite a few things so please, correct me

MoonMewn out :kwim:

I've played the KV-1 a lot since it's good, makes credits, and preps crews for higher tier heavies. I use the 122mm over the 85 though I think they're all perfectly viable guns. Thing with the 85 is you have to come to a full stop for a good while to fire due to handling and it fires fast enough that means you have to stop a lot unless you're point blank. It tends to give arty too much opportunity to click you and forces more exposure. With the 122 you minimize exposure and have more alpha when you need it thanks to HEAT, plus it's also really cheap to run since you rarely need the HEAT anyway. It just becomes a matter of positioning yourself so enemies can't rush you and then whittling them down by highly advantageous exchanges where you hit them for 140 and they bounce off your sidescrape. The fact it can damage virtually anything frontally in virtually any situation is also something I really appreciate about it.

I've considered playing the 57mm too, but it will cost way more due to the lower AP pen and overall worse rate of return on damage. Way I see it, if you want to use the 85mm go KV-1S because its handling is way better than on the KV-1. The KV-1 is really the only tank in the game where the 122mm howitzer is a viable option, I get my 57mm and 85mm experience in tanks like the T-34, KV-1S, etc.

@Jesse_the_Scout you mentioned using HEAT on the 122. What targets do you use it on? The normal HE pecks away at anything higher tier and sometimes pens 3s and 4s. The 140 pen of the HEAT can be iffy against even the front of tier 6 heavies. The best case that I can think of for it is when you feel like you need to kick up the pace and win a flank because other flanks are falling, since the major downfall of the 122 is that it can take a VERY long time to kill things.

122mm HEAT is for use on any target you seriously wanna put a hurt on.  390 alpha isn't terrible alpha for a Tier 9 tank, it's simply devastating against Tier 5s and will make 7s pay real attention to you.  Find an enemy Tiger at half health, HEAT him, then pull back into cover while reloading to avoid him DPMing you to death in the interval.

Really the HEAT is about range first and threat level second. I don't load it unless enemies get close because you have to be sure of the shot and it's a very inaccurate gun. Mostly it comes out when some tier 5s think they're going to push me out of a defensive position and once you dunk 370 damage on the first one that's usually the end of that. Sometimes, yeah, if I need to just push a position because I'm in a hurry I load it and get close. The DPM shoots up from maybe 800 with HE to 1946 with the HEAT, plus you get a ludicrous 370 alpha to work with which two shots anything in tier. It's been particularly nice when dealing with the OI OP invasion since two shots into that meaty flat armor will drop them reliably. The KV-1 is all about getting close, so alpha and/or the ability to damage anything synergies well. I dunno, it might work well at range, but I'd rather not go broke. Besides, the way I see it the HE tends to track enemies a lot, so 130 and tracking a guy in the open with the HE is usually going to ruin his day anyway.

People sometimes make the point about the 122 faltering against tier 7 heavies, which is somewhat true, but then you aren't supposed to be fighting tier 7 heavies in a tier 5. You're supposed to let your big allies draw their attention and then dunk a 450 HE shell into their tracks, immobilizing them and putting them at the disadvantage for your allies to better deal with.

Not totally related to the KV-1, but do most people use the replay system in the game? I just feel like it's very clunky, so I started recording my games using OBS, but it doesn't give an in-game experience, so I'll only have my perspective ... Just wondering.

The in game replay system doesn't shit all over your game performance. for me at least, obs cuts my fps in half even when compressed to 1/2 the base quality. In game replays do also allow to you look around where the person playing wasn't looking which is nice.

If you can run obs though without any problems I guess its fine:popcorn:

The in game replay system doesn't shit all over your game performance. for me at least, obs cuts my fps in half even when compressed to 1/2 the base quality. In game replays do also allow to you look around where the person playing wasn't looking which is nice.

If you can run obs though without any problems I guess its fine:popcorn:

I'll just have to test, I guess. 

Really the HEAT is about range first and threat level second. I don't load it unless enemies get close because you have to be sure of the shot and it's a very inaccurate gun. Mostly it comes out when some tier 5s think they're going to push me out of a defensive position and once you dunk 370 damage on the first one that's usually the end of that. Sometimes, yeah, if I need to just push a position because I'm in a hurry I load it and get close. The DPM shoots up from maybe 800 with HE to 1946 with the HEAT, plus you get a ludicrous 370 alpha to work with which two shots anything in tier. It's been particularly nice when dealing with the OI OP invasion since two shots into that meaty flat armor will drop them reliably. The KV-1 is all about getting close, so alpha and/or the ability to damage anything synergies well. I dunno, it might work well at range, but I'd rather not go broke. Besides, the way I see it the HE tends to track enemies a lot, so 130 and tracking a guy in the open with the HE is usually going to ruin his day anyway.

People sometimes make the point about the 122 faltering against tier 7 heavies, which is somewhat true, but then you aren't supposed to be fighting tier 7 heavies in a tier 5. You're supposed to let your big allies draw their attention and then dunk a 450 HE shell into their tracks, immobilizing them and putting them at the disadvantage for your allies to better deal with.

I've played the KV-1 a lot since it's good, makes credits, and preps crews for higher tier heavies. I use the 122mm over the 85 though I think they're all perfectly viable guns. Thing with the 85 is you have to come to a full stop for a good while to fire due to handling and it fires fast enough that means you have to stop a lot unless you're point blank. It tends to give arty too much opportunity to click you and forces more exposure. With the 122 you minimize exposure and have more alpha when you need it thanks to HEAT, plus it's also really cheap to run since you rarely need the HEAT anyway. It just becomes a matter of positioning yourself so enemies can't rush you and then whittling them down by highly advantageous exchanges where you hit them for 140 and they bounce off your sidescrape. The fact it can damage virtually anything frontally in virtually any situation is also something I really appreciate about it.

I've considered playing the 57mm too, but it will cost way more due to the lower AP pen and overall worse rate of return on damage. Way I see it, if you want to use the 85mm go KV-1S because its handling is way better than on the KV-1. The KV-1 is really the only tank in the game where the 122mm howitzer is a viable option, I get my 57mm and 85mm experience in tanks like the T-34, KV-1S, etc.

As for the 122 ... I dunno. I prefer the 85 because it does have a really nice pen and allows flexibility in certain situations in terms of reload speed. I kinda think I prefer it more than the 122mm because I lover American Meds, specifically the E8 which has excellent gun-handling. I'll certainly give it a shot though:drunk:

in common with 122mm (as well as152mm) caliber howitzer (derp) guns, you should only ever use the HEAT at close range when you can guarantee a direct hit. its the same with tanks like the SU-152 series, mainly since its costly to fire at long range with HEAT and miss, obviously.

the 85mm is the best choice, since you can guarantee to do avg 160 dmg (give or take), whereas you'll find the 122 derp is derp, ranging from 1 shots or crippling shots or the enemy tracks absorb the blast

The OI has changed a great deal about how tier 5-7 are played since its introduction.  

When you can get around their sides. I've been having to load gold when going hull down vs. an OI, which is pretty tough since they can pen the KV-1's turret.