Xen

Considering buying Rust

So, I stumbled upon a greentext story about Rust on /r/4chan and the game sounded very interesting. I did very brief research because I did not have enough time before work. I never played Gary's mod, the other game by the same guys, but as far as I can tell it's an immensely popular and pretty solid game. Judging from their success, and the way they inform their community about everything on a regular basis and seem to care about making a game they love, it seems like Rust is an early access game that's worth buying into.

However, I trust fellow players I know more than random youtubers and games journalists, so here a bunch of questions:

- Is it worth buying?

- What are the biggest flaws?

- What other games can it be best compared to and in which regard (for instance, Robocraft is like a mix between Minecraft and World of Tanks, with the main game mode very loosely resembling League/DotA style MOBAs)

- What is the gameplay "depth" like. For instance, DayZ is relatively deep, very seriousfaced and requires the player to have lots of patience and tolerate lots of frustration, even if we disregard all the technical issues. On the other hand, a minecraft DayZ mix survival game that I played (forgot the name) has very small maps, gives the player very detailed maps to look at, and tons of easy loot. It's a full casual game mostly about killing other players. What is Rust like in this regard?

- From what I have seen, it is a DayZ style game without the cancerous engine, with wildlife instead of zombies (O wait DayZ doesn't have any), with more people on servers (up to 300?) and basebuilding features (I only saw one 3sec scene) similar to FO4 where you put together different parts to form buildings (Lego style). Am I missing anything important or did I get anything wrong?

And if I decide to buy it:

- Who Rust here?

Rust is ok... It's been in early access for about 2 years now. Started off with zombies and awful graphics, now its more about PvP and less zombie/survival with better graphics. I personally enjoy ARK: Survival Evolved a lot more than Rust. ARK is best described as Rust with dinosaurs and better graphics. However ARK is very new and less polished, so it has some bugs, optimization and server issues but can be really enjoyable if you're into that sort of game.

Edit: This paragraph is just horrid to read, so broken and poorly formed I apologise.. Its 1am and I'm farked.

Edited by PityFool

A friend plays ARK but from what I've seen I think it'd feel a bit like DayZ's slightly less retarded cousin. 

I did not know Rust had been out for this long. Are the devs at least working on the game or is it dead like DayZ?

Are hackers an issue?

ARK and DayZ don't even belong in the same sentence, that's how different they are.

Depends on the server you play on, Rust is client based from what I can remember so hacks can be a problem. ARK is server based like WoT, but aimbots are always possible of course. Rust has been seeing changes, yes, I can't comment on the frequency of the changes though.

Rust was nice, but then the devs killed it and moved to another engine a year ago. After that the game looked better, but a billion new bugs appeared. They've been polishing that thing for 12 months now and it's still not better then the old engine.

It will never leave alpha stages of development... I'd spend my money, and time, elsewhere

Few S3ALs are playing together as we speak, I also watched Lirik playing it onstream and it's hella fun if you have friends to play with, but what are friends is the main question. :feelsbad:

hmm do you mean this greentext story?  :popcorn:

3c65640a465b0ac9.png

That is horrific if it's true.

Rust was nice, but then the devs killed it and moved to another engine a year ago. After that the game looked better, but a billion new bugs appeared. They've been polishing that thing for 12 months now and it's still not better then the old engine.

It will never leave alpha stages of development... I'd spend my money, and time, elsewhere

This whole survival PvP genre seems very very bloated right now. It's a bubble waiting to burst methinks. At some point people will get sick of buying EAs for these games, hopefully soon.

Maybe one or two will survive and eventually mature but I'm not sure I'd drop money on any of them until the bubble bursts and the wheat gets separated from the chaff...

That is horrific if it's true.

You haven't gone on 4chan enough if you think that is horrific....

@op, early access stuff is pretty much always a gamble. If you are willing to take a chance on an unfinished product with no eta on final release, then go for it. So far I have only pre-ordered 2 games, both of which were the 3rd in a series from massive developers so I had no worries about the product. (jc3 and sc2:lotv).

You haven't gone on 4chan enough if you think that is horrific....

What can I say, subjecting myself to the detritus of the internet doesn't appeal.

What can I say, subjecting myself to the detritus of the internet doesn't appeal.

You're missing out on some great content.

You're missing out on some great content.

I'll take your word from it. Remember to get check for infectious mental diseases...

http://playrust.com/devblog-91/

If you want to see how often they update and how much work they do, go through the 91 devblogs.

The game is fun, but it has it's issues just like DayZ and ARK. Being raided while offline, crafting C4 components for hours upon hours to raid someone, and campers sniping from within their base are some of the issues. The game is still far more fun than DayZ in my opinion, I can't compare it to ARK because I saw that game has flying and immediately dismissed it.

I can't compare it to ARK because I saw that game has flying and immediately dismissed it.

Flyers get wrecked by anything that even remotely hits them from the ground, and if a turret hits them GG.

Havent played rust in over a year but after playing for about 20 hours I despise the game now.

Its now spawn, die, spawn, maybe get out of the starting area without dying, build a base, wait, build it bigger, wait, realize they really is nothing to do and uninstall.

No goal or end game is a game killer for me.

Oh well... any other game you can recommend besides the ones already mentioned in this thread? Has H1Z1 recoverred from its terrible start when people were outraged over some pay2win stuff?

Oh well... any other game you can recommend besides the ones already mentioned in this thread? Has H1Z1 recoverred from its terrible start when people were outraged over some pay2win stuff?

H1Z1 is a lot better, mostly because no one plays the normal survival mode. The Hunger games/Battle Royale mode is heavily played.

ARK has a similar mode to Battle Royale but I honestly haven't played it. I setup my own ARK server, threw some mods on it and been playing with my wife and some stream folks. I enjoy it, I just wish they'd hold a couple of content patches back to optimize.