BiggieD61

Skill balance across ship classes

I have a very well defined discrepancy in my skill levels between ship classes.  I am sub par with DD's, mediocre with cruisers, and adequate with Battleships.  I have equivalent numbers of battles between them, so it's not like there is a really small sample that is throwing off the numbers.

DD:  256 battles,  46% w/r,   970 xp,  20,979 dmg,   .67 kdr,  14.8% sr

CA:  247 battles,  51% w/r, 1009 xp,  25,638 dmg, 1.32 kdr,  21.1% sr

BB:  230 battles,  56% w/r, 1159 xp,  38,750 dmg, 1.62 kdr,  40.0% sr

Aside from the fact that the stats are not very good, it's odd to me that there is such a clear cut difference in the results.  I am 54, and while my mental faculties are still sharp, my speed reflexes are not.  I feel like rapid decision making and quick reflexes are an advantage when playing DD's that require aggressive and fast changing play.  With BB's, it feels like I have to plan a few minutes ahead to make sure I am in the right place to have good fire lanes to support my team.  I feel much more comfortable picking the location that I want to engage from, instead of trying to react from overextending in a DD.  SO far the only DD that I feel comfortable playing anymore is the Gremyaschy - it's camo and 14K gun range allow me to deal damage while hidden in smoke for quite a while before I have to redeploy.  I suffer in it when rushed by higher tier Russian and American DD's though.

Do the rest of you have big differences in Ship Class stats, or do you perform equally well in all of them?

I have a similar issue. I am 63, so my reflexes are not great and I do fine if I can plan ahead. I play a lot of DD's and I do much better in ones that do 1 thing well. So a Fubuki is great for me because I know I am going to stay at a distance and send torp walls out. The same is true of the Kiev even post nerf. I am staying at max range and dodging shells and keeping my guns firing. When I switch to torps and then switch back to guns, I am a lot slower at it than I should be. I think being an old fart, that I think to much before acting.

My win rate is much better in BB's. 

My class split is 23 percent BB's, 33 percent CA's and 44 percent DD's. 

My best classes are BB and CVs where emphasis is on stategic positioning and planning ahead. I also find that these class give the best survivability so you can stay alive to the late-game where with fewer ships, a skill captain can really tip the scales and momentum of a battle. 

CA for me has been a mixed bag, I'd like to think I do well in spammy CA like Clevelands and Koingsberg, but I seem to struggling a bit with the thinly armored IJN heavy crusiers.I think it's because I'm playing them too much like BBs but they can't take hits like a BB. 

I really haven't gone down the DD tree much since I find that I have a hard time doing consistently well with torps. I might get a 100k damage, 3 kill game but then follow by 2-3 games of missing all my torps and getting sunk without doing a pitance of damage.  Maybe because you'd really have to have a good commander with all the key DD commander abilities in order for DDs to shine?

Fairly even spread here.  Would be closer, but Colorado really tanked my BB stats.  My DD games seem to be all or nothing.  I either do <5000 damage, or all of the damage to everyone.  Odd thing is, my "nothing" games tend to be wins.  Seems those games are ones where I'm sparring with another DD, but giving my team vision, and they actually hit things.  

Turned 51 less than a month ago and I've not played as much as many of you but here's mine

zlzhg6K.png

The 65% W/R in cruisers is by far my highest per class and cruisers are my most played ships.  

My IJN cruisers are driving the W/R atm as I had a

90% in Tenryu (10 games)

85% in Furutaka (13g)

75% so far in Aoba 

and Kuma was 50% with better overall damage numbers than either Furutaka or Aoba. 

CVs have my highest damage numbers at 37k but CA and BB at 33k and DD at 29K aren't far back

KDR is cruisers again at 1.19 with DDs chipping in at 1.14.  

I want to like US DDs but the Farragut is killing me with 4 out of 14 and 19k avg damage.  Thinking about trying to level with the Nicholas until I get exp to unlock the Benson which seemingly gives camo comparable to Nicholas; unlike the highly visible Farragut and Mahan..

I didn't want to pref IJN DDs and CAs but the Isokaze (42k avg damage) and Minekaze (47K avg damage so far) has my wondering if my US DD grind should come to an early end?

Just got the Cleveland and its different.... I'll give you that.  I don't read good things on US CAs up tier either.  

Seriously thinking about just jumping whole hog into IJN CAs and DDs based on my early numbers so far.  

Glad this thread was put up as it got me thinking and doing the self critical stuff I probably need to.

edit: Deusmortis love the siggie line!  I may want to "borrow" it :P

Class Battles Average Tier Win Rate Average Exp Average Dmg Kill/Death Ratio Ship Kill Rate Plane Kill Rate Capture Rate Defense Reset Rate Survival Rate
Aircraft Carriers 14 4.00 79% 1,617.79 59,641.50 7.33 1.57 8.86 0.00 3.71 78.57%
Battleships 368 5.73 68% 2,023.20 75,424.48 5.86 1.58 3.15 2.10 7.63 69.84%
Cruisers 239 4.00 67% 1,756.85 53,987.41 3.80 1.58 2.18 1.78 13.88 60.25%
Destroyers 105 3.91 72% 1,584.81 43,972.50 5.45 1.72 0.11 4.36 9.76 66.67%

I like how Warships stats tables paste here really nicely. Zero surprises, Battleships are my best performers (I like the gameplay style where you maneuver to get a perfect shot and then execute someone). Cruisers aren't far behind (weirdly low average tier though). DDs win the most games but damage the least (again no surprises there, you can gain the upper hand and virtually guarantee a win by taking two points and skinking a DD at each).

I checked my stats and they are pretty consistent.

BB 51 percent w/l and and 1300+ exp from Fuso, Negato, Amagi, and Tirpitz.

CA 51 percent w/l with exp at around 1k

DD are at 47 percent with 1300+ exp from Kiev, Benson, and Fubuki.

DD's i can have a great 100k game in Kiev, followed by 2 stinkers and maybe cap and get killed in a Knife fight with another DD. (Kiev is still good, but not op now. Think it needs 2k of the 3k it lost for it to be balanced.) I am way to aggressive with US and USSR DD's.

Odd thing is, my "nothing" games tend to be wins.  Seems those games are ones where I'm sparring with another DD, but giving my team vision, and they actually hit things.  

I find spotting & scoutting with planes by good CV captains is severly underrated and always overlooked by Noob CV captains. Good spotting by CV or DDs can make or break games IMO but impossible to tell by stats since scouting isn't recorded and tabulated by the game.  

lx5mcKJ.png

what I get from this:

I've played a lot of BB's and am really good at them, and not enough of other stuff to determine how good I truly am at it.

EDIT:  just did some math, seems the average tier is screwed up.  it seems to be taking the average tier of the ships you've played as if each ship had the same number of battles.  I just started doing the calculation for my cruisers, and the contribution of only my Atago and Aoba is 3.65, already above the given number.

EDIT:  just did some math, seems the average tier is screwed up.  it seems to be taking the average tier of the ships you've played as if each ship had the same number of battles.

Yes. Your real average tiers are as follows: CV: 5.18, BB: 7.59, CA: 5.77, DD: 4.72.

I find I YOLO too much in my DDs, tend to try to support and aggressively push with CAs and BBs.  I play far too aggressively though and just die way too frequently, always trying to lead non-existant pushes.

Ships!.PNG

Stats.png

The fragile, high speed and dynamic play of DD's doesn't suit me, just like LT's in WOT, so never even tried it. And don't like to play in RTS-mode, so no CV's for me either.

I love BB's a lot more then cruisers and feel like I'm also better in them. But surprisingly it is not that much of a difference. Sure, more dmg and better survival in BB's, but that's to be expected.

I totally suck in DDs, but love to play them. If I would play only BBs, I actually would have very good stats :) Still, the Shima will be my first T10 ship. I will buy it either today or tomorrow.

I haven't played WOWs in a few months but seeing this thread got me curious and so I checked my stats: Battleships are by far my best performing with cruisers in the middle and DDs and CVs pulling up the rear.

Warships Stats Summary by Class
  Battles Δ Battle Victories Δ Victories Defeats Δ Defeats Ø Damage WR
battleship.pngBattleships 69 - 42 - 27 - 22247 60,87%
cruiser.pngCruisers 81 - 46 - 35 - 18891 56,79%
destroyer.pngDestroyers 223 - 110 - 113 - 16501 49,33%
aircarrier.pngAircraft Carriers 5 - 0 - 5 - 25658 0,00%