Gasoline (or oil) is one of those consumables that I just never understood.  On what tanks or with what setups would using this consumable be worthwhile?  Is it just a poor-man's food item for tanks where extra horsepower (and turret traverse) is more valuable than stopping fires?

Not all tanks are prone to catching on fire and thus need to carry a fire extinguisher that will rarely be used.

I used gasoline on tanks on the Obj 268, AMX 50 Foch (155), and T110E4 lines for CW's because the increase is definitely noticeable.

So to answer your question, TD's with rear engine placement would likely benefit. This excludes some German TD's.

I use them on things where if you get hit you're basically dead regardless of a fire. So, Chaffee, elc, that type of thing.  The extra engine power is good when you need to gtfo in a hurry.  That and i don't like running the 20k cred rations in pubs.

I always run gas on my T-49 as directed by my Sensei.

The speed boost increases my ability to relocate when spotted, race through the hole in enemy lines to get flanking action and get back to reset cap. Also the turret traverse thing.

I'd like to point out that even with the 5000 credit expense (2500 if I'm smart and buy a bunch on sale) the T-49 is one of my best money makers. So, yeah... totally worth it.

Like the above posters I use the fuel consumables on my scouts for that extra bit of speed and such. 

And think of it this way, the extra traverse speed could be just enough for you to turn your hull quick enough to make a rear-shot miss your engine compartment.

I use it a lot on light tanks. Its much cheaper than food and mobility is very important. Lights have less HP so you are less likely to catch fire with many HP left. That makes FEs less worth it. More acceleration/speed/traverse will stop you getting set on fire in the first place.

It's more viable on low-chance fire tanks and rear transmission. 

If you just don't care about burning, there is always #yolo

As for the utility of it, and having used these variously and platooned with the same tank running without, you will basically rarely get anywhere faster in a straight line with gasoline, but pivoting and maneuverability -- which are tactically more significant than pure acceleration anyway, in angling your armor, and preparing to change direction and dodge arty, flanking -- the effect is more pronounced. 

The other tank class I put it on sometimes is TD's, since if you're flanked and able to be set on fire, you tend to have made a big enough mistake or just been outmaneuvered enough, that death was imminent and assured, anyway. I ran 100 octane on the T95 all the time in the past for this rationale. 

FINALLY, if you're going to use the premium 105 octane, you might as well test it's effect on mobility compared to the nation-premium consumable. The 105 Octane only boosts engine and turret traverse, whereas Chocolate, Tea or Cola boosts traverse rate through the driver in addition to every other crewmember. 

Here's the problem:

- Its too expensive for low HP, low engine tanks that might get a boost from it (A-20, Tetrach, etc)

- Fire ext is too critical for most slow heavies and high tier that would like the extra HP

- For tanks that have it, engine gov gives more bonus for free

So basically, its a decent mod that's permanently left on the bench.

Here's the problem:

- Its too expensive for low HP, low engine tanks that might get a boost from it (A-20, Tetrach, etc)

- Fire ext is too critical for most slow heavies and high tier that would like the extra HP

Governor damages the engine, though. So, you can't leave it on the whole match...

I personally run it in all my scouts that are Tier VII and lower. Hadn't thought of running it in arty, may have to look into that, next consumable sale.

Here's the problem:

I buy mine in lots of 250 or 500 and run it on the low tier stuff and the T69. The T69 was an experiment, begun before premium consumables for credits. I have yet to be set on fire, although its only 120 games or so. 

At half off, I liked it for the Cruiser III and Loltraktor. I'd prob run it on a tier 5 LT, but since tier 5 LTs don't make credits and tier 7s do and have the same top end MM...I don't have a tier 5 LT. I make enough to cover the costs and then plenty profit in the Cruiser III, M22 and tier 1. I used to run it on the T34, but that tank just sucks. Same for the T-54 prior to the availability of the AFE, but now the AFE is too good. 

I use it on my T71, which has low fire chance and regularly competes in an environment where fire is the least of your concerns. A super 155/152mm shell has 10 more points of damage on an average roll than you do hitpoints, so not getting shot is a much better defense than putting out a fire after the fact. 

I use it on my SP, and it makes a noticeable difference.  Usually, if I'm in danger of being torched, I have bigger issues (placement, incoming swarm, etc.) that make the FE less useful.

And always buy in bulk.

Bit of a old video but 

Hope it helps.

The effects should be similar in 8.5, since they didnt really do much or anything to the Engine boost or Fuel over the last few patches.

Fuel can be usefull on any tank because where you notice the extra horsepower is on acceleration from a stop or slow start, wich should be most of your driving( rarely are you going full tilt for extended durations). The drawback is usually you drop your FE to pick it up, and with better fuel you have a better burn.