Mesrith

Ranked Battles Season 3

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-battles-season-3/

Man, the service around here sucks.  Rumors from the RU forum popped up a few days ago, but NA server gets less than 24-hour notice that the new season starts tomorrow.  Rules seem pretty similar except for rank 15 being the highest irrevocable one, so rank 10 won't be the same cesspool.  This begs the questions, for me:

• Do I really want to do the exact same thing again, a month after doing it last time?   The NA community manager said there would be a reward ship for the second season (Kitakami rental was reward for Rank 1 in first season), but we're on the doorstep of the next season with nothing on that front.  The Jolly Roger flag looks identical, so it's flags and credits again.
  • If I do, is there any hurry?  I think I want a Benson this time around, but I just unlocked the Mahan.  I free-XP'd past the Ognevoi last time in order to play the Kiev in ranked battles, but I'll probably just finish my Mahan grind in randoms and then start ranked when I have the Benson naturally.

I don't know.  Flags and credits are nice, but this feels like filler.  I'm not sure I want to do identical seasons every 1.5 months while this game still waits for actual tournaments and/or clan wars.

It shows me as starting out back at rank 18 this season, now I really feel like I haven't made any progress.

I recall reading on the RU portal: http://worldofwarships.ru/ru/news/big_news/rank_battles_season3/ that there may be other safe ranks beyond 15, but they may have changed it since that RU post went up.

I may make an effort to get to rank 10, won't really have the time to put in the effort to make it to rank 1.

They did NOT just require a Tier 7 past rank 15 this season.  Apparently they don't realize or care they have some good casuals in this game... now I have to somehow elite my New Mexico or Aoba fast enough to make this work, or I'm done at 15 (which would be really, really easy to reach, unfortunately.)

Seriously though, if they'd given me 2-3 extra days notice they were doing this to me, I'd have bought a Blysawica.  However, $47's out of my price range for an emergency ranked fix and I don't think the Atlanta's ranked-viable (it isn't, right?)... I had bad enough experiences with short-range guns trying to play a Furutaka in ranked (don't do that!)

Edited by Nelagend

I actually have some Tier 8 this time so I'll actually shoot for rank 1 this time

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-battles-season-3/

Man, the service around here sucks.  Rumors from the RU forum popped up a few days ago, but NA server gets less than 24-hour notice that the new season starts tomorrow.  Rules seem pretty similar except for rank 15 being the highest irrevocable one, so rank 10 won't be the same cesspool.  This begs the questions, for me

If memory serves, I think last time rank 15-11 were tiers 5&6 and ranks 10-1  were tiers 7&8, this time they've bumped up everything from rank 15 to be tiers 7&8

• Do I really want to do the exact same thing again, a month after doing it last time?   The NA community manager said there would be a reward ship for the second season (Kitakami rental was reward for Rank 1 in first season), but we're on the doorstep of the next season with nothing on that front.  The Jolly Roger flag looks identical, so it's flags and credits again.
  • If I do, is there any hurry?  I think I want a Benson this time around, but I just unlocked the Mahan.  I free-XP'd past the Ognevoi last time in order to play the Kiev in ranked battles, but I'll probably just finish my Mahan grind in randoms and then start ranked when I have the Benson naturally.

Worth at least 1 game to get all the stuff from the ranks you've skipped. I didn't play ranks much last season but  in general I find ranked to be better than randoms because less players per game makes it a bit easier to carry stupid teams and the games are shorter than normal random so the overall payout per time played seems better (although I only played my Tirpitz last time around so I don't know what the economy is if you use non-premium ships in ranked)

Once I get to the tier 7-8, I will probably finish my Hatsuhara grind to the Fubuki. The Smaller number of ships is something I can handle in DD play, especially since it's unlikely there will be any carriers involved. 

Well, I made it to level 15 after some fits and starts with the Warspite.  I was happy with my performance in most matches, but it was frustrating to lose because New Mexico's went all the way to a map corner and could never make it back to either defend our cap or threaten theirs.  I did my best to encourage them to stay near the map center, but every time I lost it was due to 1 or 2 NM's pretending to be Fuso's and staying out of gun range of everything but their forward DD's.

Have any of you noted any trends in the tier 7-8 battles of this season?  Lot's of BB's or DD's versus a normal mix?  The tier 5-6 was dominated by BB's and DD's, very few cruisers in the matches I saw.

Contrary to my plan, I did not play ranked yet. I wanted to give Rank 1 a shot, but now with the ARP ship missions, I rather grind those.

Kinda sad ranked battles do not count for those missions :( Don't have time for both.

But probably I will finish the ARP ships on weekend and then can give ranked a shot.

I used the Nicholas to get to R15. It's actually pretty good in a small match where you can control your exposure more precisely than in random. 

It looks like some of the better players are staying away this season though, the quality of play hasn't been as good as last season. 

Contrary to my plan, I did not play ranked yet. I wanted to give Rank 1 a shot, but now with the ARP ship missions, I rather grind those.

Kinda sad ranked battles do not count for those missions :( Don't have time for both.

But probably I will finish the ARP ships on weekend and then can give ranked a shot.

Same, I thought you'd be able to kill 2 birds with one stone, get to rank 1 and do the ARP missions. I guess the upsides to this is you don't have ppl that just want to do ARP in ranks. I got to rank 15 before I switched over the ARP, but I definitely felt the player base got dumber than last reason in the handful of rank games I played. 

Ranked has not gone according to plan so far this season. Last season I started 2 weeks late but I flew to rank 5 with over a 70% win rate. I hit a bit of a wall at rank 5 but managed to re-adjust, probably made me a better player as well, and manged to get rank 1 with a 58% win rate.  I was really finding it hard to get motivated with this season coming so close on the heels of last and it seeming like wargaming really half assed the rewards. Ranked started and despite my unmotivated state I gave it a go and fucking hell I can't seem to find any traction, terrible team after terrible team. I've only played 25 battles so far but I think I'm done for this season at least. 48% winrate despite averaging over 1900 exp and a 3.78 K/D ratio. Pubbies seem to be listening to well meaning advice and coordination at an even lower rate than usual and the amount of window lickers in DDs yoloing into caps and dying 30 secs into the match is just unreal.

yep tried to start ranked with playing BB's... but game after game was decided by dd's dieing first three minutes leaving our team blind. Guess its better go dd at least in worse ranks. Gremchy worked well in couple matches before got bored of bad teams.

yep tried to start ranked with playing BB's... but game after game was decided by dd's dieing first three minutes leaving our team blind. Guess its better go dd at least in worse ranks. Gremchy worked well in couple matches before got bored of bad teams.

Not really, if team is shit team is shit, sitting on 33%

I guess I will probably not play Ranked this season at all then. One game to unlock my previous stars and get the rewards.

Seems just as random as random battles and I could not stand that when actually try harding. In randoms I am used to long loss streaks, in ranked it would drive me insane.

Ranked mode needs some other metric for progress than purely base it on wins. You are only 1 of 7 persons after all and thusly strongly depend on your team mates. Which is somehow dumb when you are ranking single players.

You are only 1 of 7 persons after all and thusly strongly depend on your team mates. Which is somehow dumb when you are ranking single players.

Just like in random battles, the only constant is yourself.  When you're 1/7 of the team, your impact (or lack of one) is even more important.  If you're a great or terrible player you have a large weight on how your team does, but if you're in the middle, you have an average weight and cede more to your teammates.  Average players are along for the ride, just like in random battles.

The problem is that within such a small sample size of 50-200 battles, there's still a lot of room for luck.  It's possible to have streaks that have little to do with your own playing ability, and there aren't enough games played in a single season to really counter those streaks.  Ranked Battles is terribly named.  The ranks have nothing to do with individual skill, as there's no real skill-based or even rank-based matchmaking, just MM based on a very broad swath of ranks.  If there were enough people playing that you could have matchmaking similar to randoms (+/- two ranks only) then the ranks would have more of an actual skill-based existence, but that still wouldn't solve the problem with "skill decay" among ranks as the Rank 1 players were constantly removed from the field throughout the season.

It's another grind treadmill to keep people playing until they expand the game further.

The problem is that within such a small sample size of 50-200 battles, there's still a lot of room for luck.  It's possible to have streaks that have little to do with your own playing ability, and there aren't enough games played in a single season to really counter those streaks.  Ranked Battles is terribly named.  The ranks have nothing to do with individual skill, as there's no real skill-based or even rank-based matchmaking, just MM based on a very broad swath of ranks.  If there were enough people playing that you could have matchmaking similar to randoms (+/- two ranks only) then the ranks would have more of an actual skill-based existence, but that still wouldn't solve the problem with "skill decay" among ranks as the Rank 1 players were constantly removed from the field throughout the season.

It's difficult to come up with a mode that has the players to sustain it while having enough battles so people don't get too lucky though.  People don't generally don't want to spend 300+ battles trying to rank out in a 6 week time period.  The 5-2 bracket only takes 12 net wins to rank out, which is not much at all.   That being said, only 1.5% of the players ranked out last season, though about 33% of the players never made it past 18.  Maybe if they made 5-2 5 stars to rank up instead of 4, then it might be a reasonable compromise.   

That being said, wargaming has done a terrible job of communicating rewards for the mode.  First they don't announce anything, give r1 kitakami, then they say they'll give a ship but don't? Shit doesn't make much sense.  My gut feeling is that they don't feel like the system is well adjusted to the population, and they still want to adjust it further, but it's getting pretty stale for most people.