I want to build a budget pc that is capable of handling kind of current games and at the same time can be upgraded relatively easily.

Is this ok as a foundation?

ASRock H170 Pro4s Intel H170 So. 1151 DDR4 ATX Retail 94€ http://m.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/ASRock-H170-Pro4S-Intel-H170-So-1151-Dual-Channel-DDR4-ATX-Retail_1011765.html

Intel Core i3 6100 BOX 115€ http://m.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Intel-Core-i3-6100-2x-3-70GHz-So-1151-BOX_1014846.html

8GB Crucial CT2K4G4DFS8213 DDR4-2133 CL15 Dual Kit 40€ http://m.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-Crucial-CT2K4G4DFS8213-DDR4-2133-DIMM-CL15-Dual-Kit_974777.html

4096MB KFA2 Geforce GTX 960 Gamer OC Mini Black Active 199€ http://m.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4096MB-KFA2-GeForce-GTX-960-Gamer-OC-Mini-Black-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail_1017594.html

Gott in Himmel!  Ich war ein schlechter Schüler in der High School und kann nicht viel auf Deutsch lesen. :(

I think Folter is German, though.  CPU does seem a bit pricy for a budget build though - what is your budget and how much is that in American dollars?

You give very little information in regards to your use case, budget and parts you already have (old OS?, native monitor resolution, parts that could be salvaged from an old PC).

You parts list looks like an upgrade kit and not like a new PC? What is it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kQkhCJ

This is about the best I can come up with and still have good framerates at 1080p in most games.  However, I'm not familiar with AMD CPUs, so one of them might be a better choice.

Alternatives might be cutting the CPU to an i3 (although that's a bit on the weak side), downgrading the GPU to a 950, or upgrading the ram to 8gigs (although very few games that I know of really use more than 4)

Thanks for your feedback.

It is mostly an upgrade as I have all other parts (psu, case, os etc). Monitor resolution is 1080p,

I cannot spent more than ~450€. Pc will mostly be used for gaming of "newish" games. I do not expect new games to run with max details on 1080p at 100fps obviously.

I picked the parts above mainly because I think they provide a good balance between price/performance and upgradeability (e.g. socket 1151 for an i5 at the end of 2016 or something).

Thanks for your feedback.

It is mostly an upgrade as I have all other parts (psu, case, os etc). Monitor resolution is 1080p,

I cannot spent more than ~450€. Pc will mostly be used for gaming of "newish" games. I do not expect new games to run with max details on 1080p at 100fps obviously.

I picked the parts above mainly because I think they provide a good balance between price/performance and upgradeability (e.g. socket 1151 for an i5 at the end of 2016 or something).

Sounds smart (based on my tiny bits of knowledge) to get socket 1151 for some degree of future-proofing, but why buy a CPU and plan on replacing it in as little as a year?  Isn't a Euro worth more than a dollar?  Seems kinda expensive for an i3 that you want to replace in a year's time to me.

The more educated types here might say I'm lost in the sauce on that though.

Gott in Himmel!  Ich war ein schlechter Schüler in der High School und kann nicht viel auf Deutsch lesen. :(

I think Folter is German, though.  CPU does seem a bit pricy for a budget build though - what is your budget and how much is that in American dollars?

There is a 960 and 8 gigs of RAM in there, so I assume it's budget gaming, in which case i3 or something like FX-8350 (I think, I don't know AMDs stuff that well) should definitely be the minimum for the CPU.

@rirarumpel: Seems mostly fine to me, although I agree with FlorbFnarb, I don't see the reason of buying an i3 for 120€ now if you plan to upgrade to an i5 (250€ max) soon. Also consider 380(X), they are slightly(quite a bit) better than the 960 in a lot of games for same(slightly higher) price. I bought a 280X for 190€ in september, but unfortunately those have become hard to get and much more expensive at this point.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kQkhCJ

This is about the best I can come up with and still have good framerates at 1080p in most games.  However, I'm not familiar with AMD CPUs, so one of them might be a better choice.

Alternatives might be cutting the CPU to an i3 (although that's a bit on the weak side), downgrading the GPU to a 950, or upgrading the ram to 8gigs (although very few games that I know of really use more than 4)

AMD is good for max budget performance right just now. Upgrade-ability suffers a lot, since AMD is a huge gamble in the near future of CPU's. Socket 1151 is WAYYYYYYYY more expensive to get in to (arguably stupidly so), but the platform will have longevity and tons of potential upgrades.

Low end GPU's, like the 950, are where you start to see drastically diminishing returns on performance per dollar. 

This would be a solid AMD build in that price range, and it will perform far better (right now) than any intel build for the same money. You will be hurting for upgrades in a year or 2 though: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GXPtMp

And a super base model intel build that will give damn good performance (mainly because of the cheap GPU), and lay a good upgrade platform: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B6sRD3

Both of these really depend on you having a good PSU to begin with. If it's sme off brand nonsense that came with your case or something, you need to upgrade that ASAP before tossing parts at it that it may explode on.

Prices are in Murica, but they come in under the 450 yurop rupee price point.

Thanks for all your feedback so far.

Current hardware is basically garbage (e.g. minecraft midres, low details is struggling to reach 20fps). I cannot get my hands on the specific parts right now, as this built will be a birthday present for my cousin. Due to a limites budget right now I wanted a good balance between performance and upgradeability. It is very likely that he will be able to upgrade the cpu after a few months of saving or at next christmas the latest.

He was given a psu and a case from a family friend who happened to upgrade his mid-high end machine, so I just assumed they will suffice for a budget built. But I will most likely know the details this evening. Sorry for providing not all the information up front.

Regarding the cpu, I was under the impression that Intel outperforms Amd quite heavily. That was also one of the reasons why I thought Intel>Amd even for a budget built.

Intel does outperform AMD, but the premium you pay for adopting a new socket and RAM standard this early in the cycle isn't worth it for a budget build IMO.

If you're just throwing money at a build, yes Intel is the way to go. But on such a restricted budget, AMD will get you much better performance. Intel pricing is on the wrong side of nonsense. For example, that AMD chip I linked will blow any i3 out of the water, and is literally less than half the price. Even the FX-8350 and 9370 will out perform any i5, and for significantly less money. Once you get in to the i7 range, AMD just doesn't have anything that holds up very well. AMD systems are also a nightmare to upgrade, because you have to replace everything just to upgrade the CPU. AMD chips are also more power hungry and generate more heat, but it's not enough to make much of a difference. GPU is always the big power draw. I upgraded from an AMD FX-9590 to an i7-4790 for one single reason; I am recording and editing videos a lot. Outside of that, currently there is no reason to go with Intel on a budget. However, going with the worse CPU by getting the i3 gives you a Z170/DDR4 platform ready for upgrades, so you only have to upgrade the CPU when you have to money.

Basically, go AMD if you want the best performance on your budget now. Go Intel if you're willing to sacrifice some performance now for the ability to upgrade for years to come.

Last time I checked the Haswell i3 4130 outperformed the 860k in everything bar heavily multithreaded workloads, and even there it was close.

Prices for DDR4 reached DDR3 level (slight difference yes, but nothing big).

If that person who gets the PC plays WoT, you can forget AMD right away for the CPU. AMDs single core performance is that bad compared to Intel, that aside from a pure office box or grandma PC I see no reason to go AMD at all atm. No (native) support for DDR4, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0 and M.2 + NVMe (not sure about PCIe SSDs boot abilities) just makes that whole ecosystem a dead platform in my book.

While that i3 6100 won't be a champ at multitasking and programms that use more than 2 cores, it will get the job done and your cousin won't have problems starting games that require more than 2 cores because of Hyperthreading (creating 2 threads per core) which all Skylake i3 support it seems. Just make sure to buy a boxed version of the CPU (warrenty). 

Selling an i3 in roughly half a year would only result in ~20% loss with a 100% reputation on eBay.

Assuming your case/psu are decent I would make two changes:

• Ditch the 960 4GB for a 380X 4GB. 30€ more that are worth it in my book.
  • go Z170 instead of H170 if your cousin is interested in OC. With H170 that won't be possible.

Thank you all so much! If you have any more ideas, feel free to post them.
My gut feeling is to go with the i3-combo but I'll take one or two more days to process the information you provided.