ThePowerOfLove

Your keeper boats for each tier?

The best ships to keep tend to be the ones that excel at one thing (usually firepower). Kongo and Amagi are both fast and heavily armed and reward good play more than most. Likewise cleveland and 155 mogami are very effective when properly equipped for a playstyle that is then adhered to (long range he spam), especially if you can get some commander skills that arent usually present at the ships tier like advanced firing training for main battery range for those two. Ignoring tier Xs (which you should keep because why else did you buy them...) the best ships from each line in my opinion are:

IJN BBs - Kongo (also comes in purple) and Amagi, fast enough to run around a bit and very heavily armed. Yamato is still king of course though <3

US BBs - Iowa and New Mexico, I'd say North Carolina but the Iowa is just better at the style of play.

IJN CAs - Furutaka and Mogami (with your preferred guns), Mogami is just very good and Furutaka is devastating once you understand how to use the 203mms.

US CAs - Cleveland and Baltimore, Cleveland is brutal with a highly skilled captain and Baltimore performs nicely, especially with its repair party.

German CAs - I haven't really played these but Admiral Hipper has very strong AP if used correctly.

IJN DDs - Minekaze and Fubuki(desu), Minekaze can spam torps with its fast reload and if you can get the stealth skill its terribly powerful if played properly. Fubuki has good torps with 15km range and 9 of them but also has good enough guns to stop other DDs destroying you. Again can be very good with stealth too.

US DDs - I don't really have experience with these, not really my kind of destroyer.

Soviet DDs - Gnevny and Kiev, both fast with good guns but that kind of sums up the whole line. These seem to be the best though.

Carriers - Carriers are highly skill dependent so if you need to see which ones are good then you will struggle anyway. The higher tiers tend to be better just because you get more squadrons, especially tier 9 and 10 where you get a silly amount of aircraft. I'd advise taking strike loadouts, taking fighters is a crutch for easier but less effective gameplay and taking strike will be more effective when used properly.

On 1/16/2016 at 7:42 PM, malaquey said:

Carriers - Carriers are highly skill dependent so if you need to see which ones are good then you will struggle anyway. The higher tiers tend to be better just because you get more squadrons, especially tier 9 and 10 where you get a silly amount of aircraft. I'd advise taking strike loadouts, taking fighters is a crutch for easier but less effective gameplay and taking strike will be more effective when used properly.

I would only take strike loadouts on CVs that still have at least 1 fighter from a strike loadout (Tier 9+ CVs). As soon as your opposing CV realize there's no competition they can go to town on your TB and dominate spotting positions over DDs. Might work against Tier 4/5 CV opponents where their drivers are still learning, but I think it's suicidal at tier 6+, especially if the opposing CV happens to have a fighter loadout.  

IMO, only people that doesn't know how to play CVs take fighter loadouts. They don't do enough damage to justify their spot on the team and a skill CV driver can out maneuver the usual globs of fighters that fighter CV captains fling around the map like a blind drunk with a cane. I think I've only met a skilled fighter CV captain one time and the most he was able to do was limit my TB hits to 3 torps and some bomb hits which still far out damage what he was able to do w/ his DB. 

I find myself less likely to keep ships in my port versus the amount of tanks I kept in my garage in WoT.  The battles are too long so I barely have time to play the ships I really like and those I want to grind.  So far I only see myself keeping one non-premium ships out of those I have already passed by in a line.

Tier 1:  none - I could get one whenever I wanted to for near nothing

Tier 2:  Emden - works fine with my Deutsch cruiser Cap with AFT.

Tier 3:  Aurora - Does everything that the other tier 3's do - spam HE like a monster.

Tier 4:  Imperator Nikolai/ Arkansas B. -  Imperator has better guns, but sees tier 6, Arkansas only sees 5, but harder to make work

Tier 5:  Gremaschy/Murmansk - Best balanced DD at tier plus the superpowered Omaha with 8k torps

Tier 6:  Warspite/Nurnberg - My favorite two ships with completely different game play - only non premium keeper in my port

Tier 7:  I can't see keeping any of these, but then again, I haven't reached the Nagato yet, so maybe that will change ...

Tier 8:  Tirpitz/could be a few - I only have the Tirpitz, but close to the Fubuki, - will also get to the Hipper, Baltimore and North Carolina soon after will keep 1 or 2 I suppose

Played carriers in the closed beta, but have yet to try it since, still not sure which CV line to take for ease/fun.

I decided to play again.  Mostly I just want to join the anti Cleveland club.

Keeper ships in my limited and currently outdated experience (dont actually have all of them cause I havent bought extra port slots yet): isokaze, Kongo, Amagi, Aoba is pretty cute I guess,  kuma/tenryuu are cool but dont need all these low tiers, list shall expand.

My keepers (prems only mentioned if they're my go-to ships)

Tier 2: Umikaze. This a DD that's still relevant in tier 10. I mean, what the shit? WHAT THE SHIT! Also, I love derping around with a high skill crew in the Albany. It fits nicely into a skill/reward gap that equals fun.

Tier 3: Tenryu is the best, obviously. But I also have a SoCa. It's surprisingly useable.

Tier 4: 'Zuchi, Nikolai and Arkansas. Yes they're all premium BBs. But this is the tier when you get to shit on crap BB drivers with gay abandon.

Tier 5: KONGO!

Tier 6: WARSPITE! Also, Nurnberg.

Tier 7: Myoko. It was the best pre-tier 10 heavy Cruiser. It's still pretty damn awesome. The Sims: what a lovely ship to annoy everyone.

Tier 8: I want to rebuy the Amagi, but for now it's very much the Tirpitz.

Tier 9: Wouldn't keep the Izumo (though I enjoyed it), haven't done anything else.

12 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

Played carriers in the closed beta, but have yet to try it since, still not sure which CV line to take for ease/fun.

They've gotten nerfed a good deal from CBT. In capable hands CV damage is high instead of insanely OP high (At least T4-7). On the whole I think T4-7 CVs are balance and are at a good place. As to the lines USN CV at T4/5 are a pain to play simply because your ship is so slow. You will get hunted down and sunk by DDs no matter how hard you try to stay with the team. IJN and USN CV lines at Tier 6/7 are both competitive, USN use to get better TB spread but now that IJN have converging TB spread it more or less even things out. IJN have more flexibility w/ more squadrons, but USN have an easier time of winning local superiority so take your pick. 

Slogging my way through the Kawachi now. I like the idea of the Konigsberg, a cruiser with a lethal AP salvo, but I think I'm going to have to free XP past the Kolberg :feelsbad:

Also got to the Phoenix and the Kuma, even though both of them are almost stock they seem really good. Could anyone tell me what the Kuma has over the Phoenix apart from better torpedoes and the ability to get one more gun on target? It looks like the Phoenix wins in AA and firing range, both of which seem pretty important.

35 minutes ago, ThePowerOfLove said:

Slogging my way through the Kawachi now. I like the idea of the Konigsberg, a cruiser with a lethal AP salvo, but I think I'm going to have to free XP past the Kolberg :feelsbad:

Also got to the Phoenix and the Kuma, even though both of them are almost stock they seem really good. Could anyone tell me what the Kuma has over the Phoenix apart from better torpedoes and the ability to get one more gun on target? It looks like the Phoenix wins in AA and firing range, both of which seem pretty important.

Save your free xp for the Karlsruhe. It's like the Kolberg except 1 tier higher with crap HE that has next to 0 fire chance and peashooter AP... at least before the previous patch. 

Phoenix has a bit better gun range (13.7km vs 12.4km) but Kuma has much better torps range  (7km vs 5km). Phoenix and Kuma are pretty similar and both are pretty good at their tier. You really can't go wrong with either one. 

1. Hashidate / Hermerlin, Hashidate has superior HE and Hermerlin has superior AP.

2. Umikaze, its even relevant in tier 10 games.

3. Tenryu, because the others suck and I hate protected cruisers.

4. Imperator Nikolai I / Kuma, Imperator Nikolai is seriously OP at tier 4 with its 3x4 guns and criminal gun arcs but could be hard to procure, Kuma is a fun (and cute) tier 4 and also my most played ship in the game due to her ease of use and potential. (watch out for citadels though)

5. Kongo/Konigsberg, Kongo is THE battleship of tier 5 and all round great ship with excellent speed whereas the Konigsberg is practically a tier 6 cruiser with her amazing AP and triple gun mounts.
  6. New Mexico/Warspite, I don't own the Warspite but I play with someone who runs it regularly and I can tell you the accuracy is fantastic and the ship is a great grab if it ever goes on sale again, the New Mexico is great too due to its triple barreled turrets which allow a very tight spread,allowing you to capitalise on a battleships greatest strength.

7. Myokou, a real proper heavy cruiser with top-class versatility at her tier due to her deadly combination of speed and firepower with sufficient armor to repel smaller caliber HE rounds,take good care of your citadels though. (also Haguro is my ship-waifu :x ):ohnyes:
  8. Tirpitz/Admiral Hipper, the Tirpitz exceeded my expectations with her combination of superior AP (with excellent shell velocity),plentiful armor,amazing speed and she even has torpedoes
    with great angles, all that with the added bonus of being a premium ship where you can swap crews out without retraining and printing 400k+ credits on good games. 

I've yet to grind the Admiral Hipper but I know its an excellent ship from a friend, she seems to have AP that punches well above her weight.

On 18/01/2016 at 5:49 PM, ncc81701 said:

I would only take strike loadouts on CVs that still have at least 1 fighter from a strike loadout (Tier 9+ CVs). As soon as your opposing CV realize there's no competition they can go to town on your TB and dominate spotting positions over DDs. Might work against Tier 4/5 CV opponents where their drivers are still learning, but I think it's suicidal at tier 6+, especially if the opposing CV happens to have a fighter loadout.  

IMO, only people that doesn't know how to play CVs take fighter loadouts. They don't do enough damage to justify their spot on the team and a skill CV driver can out maneuver the usual globs of fighters that fighter CV captains fling around the map like a blind drunk with a cane. I think I've only met a skilled fighter CV captain one time and the most he was able to do was limit my TB hits to 3 torps and some bomb hits which still far out damage what he was able to do w/ his DB. 

Part of the reason people suck with fighters is they just don't use barrage. The total damage a fighter squad can deal doesn't really change between tiers while the plane hp goes up. As a result a top tier fighter group can shoot down basically ONE strike squadron. A barrage can kill an entire squad if used correctly (and more sometimes) and you get two per squad so its very effective. Dropping a barrage alongside a ship thats under air attack is brutal, you will normally kill every attacking plane with US fighters.

Personally I'm paranoid that people will barrage my squads when chasing them and I've got them caught by fighters more than once because I kept moving to pre-empt a barrage that never came. That's ok though because a player than doesnt barrage honestly isnt much of a threat.

Tier 1: Nothing.  If you really want to sealclub I suppose the Hermelin is good for the AP damage.

Tier 2: Dresden.  She's a tier 2 St. Louis.  I also hear Umikaze is a keeper but I couldn't really get her to work, especially with how chaotic and messy tier 2/3 battles can become.

Tier 3: Tenryu, St. Louis, both excellent cruisers for different reasons.  Derpski just for the potential lols that can be had from a suicidal torpedo run and dumping a dozen fish on someone at point-blank range.

Tier 4: Everything.  Except the Langley and Karlsruhe.

Tier 5: Kongo and Koenigsberg.  I dunno if Zuiho is still as ridiculously OP as she used to be but I doubt she suddenly became a bad ship after the various carrier rebalances.

Tier 6: Fuso, New Mexico, Aoba.  Enter me in the "fuck the Cleveland" camp.

I am not very high on tiers cause I play all the lines simultaneously. But up to tier 5 these are my picks

1 I liked teh Hermelin but non of them really stand out.

2 I liked teh Sampson I am performing my best with it.

3 St.Louis no doubt! It rains fire. Tenryou wasn't that bad also.

4 Wyoming. It absolutely wrecks with AP.

5 New York, like a better Wyoming and the Omaha rocks also.

The Wyoming is a hugely underrated boat and the only reason I don't play mine is because I'm far too proud of my best global sealclubber damage to risk it. 

Instead I pimped the shit out of my ark beta and club in that instead.

16 hours ago, malaquey said:

Part of the reason people suck with fighters is they just don't use barrage.

TL:DR What good is barrage if you are not at the right time and location to use it in the first place?

I think the bigger reason why people suck with fighters and CV in general is that they don't understand the concept that the battlespace in WoWS is in 2 spatial dimensions (A-line, #-line) and in 1 time dimension. By the time you are in a position to consider using barrage, you are already in a position where you have to consider whether to stay and fight, or withdraw and find another opportunity to fight on more favorable term; but that's only 1/2 the game. The other half the game for CV is about positioning your aircraft into favorably positions. This is actually very similar to fighting games where you see two good players would jockey and fakeouts for positions on the stage before either of them hit an attack button. 

What do I mean by that? If you look at how people with AS build normally play, they bunch up their fighters so that they have local superiority at 1 (X,Y) point on the map.  But by having local superiority at 1 point in the map, they give up complete control of  the rest of the map except for perhaps the neighboring grid squares. If you know that they are at F,7 for example then you know they will take a minute (don't know actual time, just an example) to make it to grid F,3 to do anything. So then you know that you have at least at least a minute to make a TB run completely unhindered assuming there are no catapult fighters. In majority of the cases, by the time they realize your TB are on the opposite side of the map and start the intercept they do not have sufficient time/speed to keep your TB from making a drop. Once the TB have dropped their load they have already done their job, getting them back to the CV is just bonus.  

Of an extreme example of this, I've kited 4 fighters from two AS build Rangers all the way around the edges map with an empty DB once, which gave me complete free reign over the rest of the map with my TB and fighters for over a 1/3 of the game. There are variations of this as well since not all players bunch up their assets all at one point in the map, but the principle of considering the battlespace in (t,x,y) dimensions still holds. You will always be far ahead of an opponent who can only think in the (x,y) dimension if you can think in all 3 (t,x,y) dimensions. With your ability to do this, you can avoid temporary points of stiff resistance, preserve your aircraft strength and fight on favorable terms at all other points & time on the map at your choosing. 

12 hours ago, kariverson said:

4 Wyoming. It absolutely wrecks with AP.

The Wyoming's AP has the advantage of a 0.01s detonation time, so unlike the other US BBs it can hit the citadels on narrow cruisers (esp Tenryu, Kuma) without overpenetrating. The only other main-line BB with the same advantage is the Kawachi.

i didn't keep any ship for now (because i need the money!). but it would be :

1/2/3. nope. none of the ships in these tiers suited me so...

4. kuma. She's a fun ship and with some experience, very effective. Good guns, good torps... a keeper.

5. all ships (except the US DD). played all, and they are all very good! even the premiums at this tier are good!

6. nurnberg, the AP is just awesome on this ship!

7. myoko and Kiev.

8. Mogami and Benson. The benson is the best DD i've played so far. You can play it as a gunboat, or a torpedo boat. It's very agile, have good concealment (thanks to the tier 8 module), good guns, good torps.

19 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

The Wyoming's AP has the advantage of a 0.01s detonation time, so unlike the other US BBs it can hit the citadels on narrow cruisers (esp Tenryu, Kuma) without overpenetrating. The only other main-line BB with the same advantage is the Kawachi.

I noticed I hit a lot of cruiser citadels with the New York also. Good ship, so much better than the kongo.

29 minutes ago, kariverson said:

I noticed I hit a lot of cruiser citadels with the New York also. Good ship, so much better than the kongo.

Öh, not really.

33 minutes ago, kariverson said:

Nah, the Kongo has range, firepower, accuracy and just enough armor on its side. The NY is brawly but it just can't get places.

2 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

Nah, the Kongo has range, firepower, accuracy and just enough armor on its side. The NY is brawly but it just can't get places.

I don't think it even brawls much better than an angled Kongo; it just has enough armor to occasionally protect players from their own mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Mesrith said:

I don't think it even brawls much better than an angled Kongo; it just has enough armor to occasionally protect players from their own mistakes.

It's very difficult to citadel for 14 inch guns compared to the Kongo. 15 and 16 inch guns go through it like paper. Its biggest weakness is the huge slab side which has almost no armor, so you can just hammer big salvoes through it without having to give a shit about the belt.