Sign in to follow this  
AuLion

How to grind crummy tanks

Question

Now first off, Im not even trying to kid myself about being a blue. All I want is consistency in my performance. My real goals right now are overall consistency, about 100 more points of WN7, and driving my tier 10s towards a 1.0 damage ratio. But, I have found a couple things are killing my upward progress....

1. Grinding the WZ-132 from the Type T-34. WZ-132 is a beast and I love it, but the predecessors were real stinkers for me. My stats dove like a Stuka until I got there.

2. Starting the Russian medium line, crossing from the KV-1S to the T-43. Im basically learning a whole new play style. Also, I hear that the T-43 is UP. Ammo rack, ammo rack, fire, fire, ammo rack....

My question is this:  What should I do to effectively grind tanks that are notoriously UP? I think I'm cheating myself a bit by not grinding for the play-time experience, but Its hard enough making forward progress; no need to be a masochist.  On the other hand, I also think its a bit weak to just free xp through it. I've seen a lot of guys that obviously bought their tier 10s, (25 games in the T95?) and I think thats kinda bitch. I want to play the tanks, but I dont want to yell at my screen either.

I've heard here in this forum that you play best by serial grinding instead of round robin doubles-clearing, but in the 13 games I played in the T-43 last night, 7 of them were in the 1100-2000 eff range (acceptable to stellar for me), and 6 were total potato, under 1k wn7, and like 5 out of 14 wins....

Sigh. Any advice appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Okay, so you have 3 choices, really.

1) Free px the damn thing. Get over whatever internal revulsion you have against freepxing past shit tanks. Nobody considers it a badge of honor for you to make your own damn self suffer along with your stats because you just had to grind through a AMX 40 or some garbage. In fact, I skip tier 4 as a matter of principle. No money or my time is worth playing that shit tier. I free pxed past 59-16 too. Not being able to pen the ass of tanks with the top gun doesn't sound like the idea of fun to me.

2) Platoon with other good people who can cover for your shit tank. Bring gold. Lots of gold. I do this on say, 3002DB. Full gold, bring some friends in T29s or IS2s or 12244s or something. Even then it's a burden for your platoon. (for example, 171 gold pen DB only goes so far in Tier 9 matches).

3) Accept your stat loss and grind like a loser. This is what I did in my A20 back when it was the very first line I played in this game ever. I literally suiscouted every fucking match. Don't do this. 

To be fair, T43 isn't that bad a tank. It's probably better than DB, if that makes you feel any better. Bring lots of gold, because 140ish pen just doesn't cut it sometimes.

2)  I do this on say, 3002DB. Full gold, bring some friends in T29s or IS2s or 12244s or something. PANTHERS AND ONLY PANTHERS, ALL I PLAY WITH IS PANTHERS

There obviously aren't many options for you to get past UP tanks. If you plan on playing through without free XP, you're going to have to put in the time. To maintain your sanity, 

1) Platoon with good players who are willing to carry your bad tank

2) Bring and use copious amounts of gold ammo, to make up for the gun's failings

The T-43 is absolutely fantastic, don't listen to the naysayers. The key to it is simple:

1) Bring enough gold rounds for you to spam, the standard pen on the 85mm is horrific

2) Mount the top engine. With 600 HP you're a flanking machine

3) Abuse your gun depression, which is surprisingly good (8 degrees)

4) Get in a position to dump shots repeatedly, preferably in the sides or rear of an enemy

I played it in complete #yoloswag mode, literally; I was always racing around the map, finding weak targets, and giving them a nice surprise. Fastest tier 7 grind I've ever had, finished it in 3 days over a course of ~70 games, only half of which were platooned

I don't have the money to spend on free experience and so I have ground out everything I own. A few things I have found helpful.

1. Ration the free experience that you get without spending any money. Only use it on tanks that are severly underpowered stock. If the tank is playable, try not to splurge on it. You will regret it later when you get a tank that really needs a few modules unlocked to carry what it can. Never use free experience to unlock the next tier, only modules.

2. Only do doubles on the vehicle until you get all modules unlocked. Higher tiers this can take longer but if you are patient it will help with the grind. Even if the tank is fully unlocked, doing doubles or special 3x/5x to grind out the next tank shortens the length of the grind.

2a. Grind multiple lines if possible. I am moving down every line, save arty. I have enough tanks that I can do the 2x on the ones I really want to and mix in a few 'painful' tanks without killing my stats.

3. Be willing to shoot some gold. Having ground before premium shells for credits, this is a godsend.

4. If you are working up a line take your crew with you. At least spend silver to get the crew to retain 90%, or if the line shifts 80% of what they had. A fully elite vehicle is a lot more playable with a new crew than is a stock tank. Move your crew up the tiers as your grind a line. By the time you get to tier 10 you will have them on their third crew skills. 

Grinding out stock tanks and not skipping UP tanks will take its toll on your stats. There is no question about it other than how much. If you have the money and you want to, throw the money at it. Noone really cares if you do or don't, other than looking at your overall stats. I don't hav the money so I can't but these are a few things I have done to make it easier on myself. Grinding out tanks will teach you a lot about what tanks can and cannot do. If you retain that knowledge, it will help you when you face them in other vehicles. There is a cost associated with the hard grind but there are also some benefits. Best of luck.

The good news: The T-43 isn't too bad. But it certainly isn't great.

IMO, the most important thing to do in a somewhat limited tank like the T-43 is simple: focus on accomplishing what you can, and let your teammates do the rest. You're not going to be doing much damage to tier 9 and many tier 8 heavies (You'll need gold to pen the side of an IS-6!), so don't go crazy trying to accomplish what the tank is incapable of.  In many games, you will be a scout/support fire tank best of focusing on tracking red tanks.  In others, you will be able to utilize your decent DPM in flanking duty or in a wolfpack.  Sometimes being the little guy in a group is a good thing - if a pair of T69s push and you go with them, your DPM will help them a lot, and let's face it, not very many people are going to choose to shoot you over the T69s, will they?

None of the tier 7 mediums do monster damage easily, so don't expect that. Your DPG will be worse, your WN7 will be lower in these tanks - I played my T-43 a while ago, and I ran about ~1600 WN7 in it. I was probably running ~1700-1750 60 day at the time.

I did usually, but not always play it platooned, and this helps a lot.  In a platoon, your eyes are more important, and supporting T29s makes things a lot easier at any tier. Even though your damage may not be great, having a good DPM, flexible, if mediocre tank can be more useful than stacking another T29 in there, because you can provide very useful vision more effectively, and come at enemies at surprising angles while the T29s keep them busy.  Sometimes, in a T-43, what you can do will be limited to turning someone's turret so someone else can shoot them without being fired on.

So be it.

So, IMO, it's simple, and it's almost an attitude that is required to play tanks that aren't spectacular.  If you keep a positive attitude about yourself, and focus on helping your team in whatever way you can without taking ineffective risks, and focus as much on the non-damage part of the equation, you will do fine in the tank. With a positive attitude, platooning, and aggressive use of gold, I took the T-43, with some help from my platoonmates to a 69.6% win rate.  It wouldn't have been possible solo. Just remember: your influence on the game is not strictly limited to the damage you put out.

Thanks for the responses. Through a PM here on the forums, I was recommended to read this thread on the main forums. It was good information regarding the T-43. Its helped me realize some things that maybe I should have known, and probably just put it in a different light. Mainly, playing the T-43 more like a sniper at the beginning of the match, and less like a scout has helped me a bunch. In fact, according to my WOT Statistics application, I'm sitting at a 1575 WN6 (cause thats all that is implemented in it), after about 60 games. I'm pretty happy with that...actually, I completely agree that the T-43 is a great tank, and the people that told me otherwise are silly.

The T-43 is absolutely fantastic, don't listen to the naysayers. The key to it is simple:

1) Bring enough gold rounds for you to spam, the standard pen on the 85mm is horrific

2) Mount the top engine. With 600 HP you're a flanking machine

3) Abuse your gun depression, which is surprisingly good (8 degrees)

4) Get in a position to dump shots repeatedly, preferably in the sides or rear of an enemy

All this is very true. Thanks again.

I think more than anything, my problems stem from consistency. It could be certain maps, or I might not recognize some sort of problem before its too late. Monitoring my recent battles in WOT Statistics, I can see that I do one of two things, and rarely something in between.  I either have what I consider a good game, between 1500-3000 WN6, or I potato out around 400-800. Usually I die early, which obviously prevents you from doing damage. I take what I can learn from it, and brush it off, but sometimes, I feel like I did what I was supposed to do.

I dunno, when I feel a little better about it, I will try to record and post a series of replays for someone to critique. I know I certainly have enough games under my belt that I should know what I'm doing. As always, any advice is welcome.