Sign in to follow this  
Constar

Hello Folter and co - time to upgrade this ship

Upgrade vs new rig  

1. 1. Upgrade vs new rig

• Yes you are beyond stupid and should accept that getting a completely new rig is the only option if you want to run something other than notepad
    • Being yuropoor is okay some of that stuff can definately be recycled if you can't afford to have nicer things in life

So long story short with my current rig I was barely able to run fallout 4 with low-low-off -settings and that is unacceptable.

Unfortunately, if I am to buy myself a new GPU or anything I sort of have to get one for the missus too or all hell breaks loose so Im here asking if it is possible to use some what I have now, save a fortune and still get results?

Basically what i want from my PC is being able to run new games in 1920 x 1080 without lags

What I have right now:

mobo: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard

cpu: AMD FX-4100 (OEM/Tray)  4 cores 3,6Ghz

ram: 2x 4gb kingston (DDR3? im not 100% sure but I think so..)

gpu: NVIDIA geforce gt440

PSU: Corsair VS Series VS550 550W

Can I get away with just a new monitor and GPU or am I just being an idiot and cheap and should just spend that extra 200-300€ and get faster RAM/cpu too?

Oh yeah I did not list my HD in parts -list thats because my previous broke down, Im now using a spare i had lying around and will go get a new one tomorrow-ish

No need for an OS either.

budget for monitor + GPU is 500-600€ can't rly go higher than that because yeah downsides of having a nerdy GF

So TL;DR what GPU and monitor should I get or should I just start from scratch?

What monitor do you have now? Your whole post iscoatic somehow

Is it really to hard to follow the pinned thread about how to post???

uhm i need a new monitor i did not mention this and made you mad im sorry

i checked out your how-to-post -thread before posting but yeah i guess im just bad

EDIT: eu, FIN and yeah 450 £ is sort of 500-600€

Edited by Constar

Wow, RIP'd to peaces, guess Folterknecht is suffering from vaginal bleeding this time of the month. :trollface: 

I skimmed through your build very briefly. Except for maybe the case and the RAM (and the PSU) I'd trash it all and start from scratch. Although I am not sure if it's worth it at your budget.

Wow, RIP'd to peaces, guess Folterknecht is suffering from vaginal bleeding this time of the month. :trollface: 

I skimmed through your build very briefly. Except for maybe the case and the RAM (and the PSU) I'd trash it all and start from scratch. Although I am not sure if it's worth it at your budget.

thats 500-600 for just monitor and gpu if i have to buy the rest too im willing to spend ~1k on the build

What sort of screen do you want? Random 60Hz 1080p? Or something more fancy that is more suitable for gaming? New or used? 

I bought a random bottom of the line LG screen a year or so ago, because it dominated reviews in that price range, and the only non-standard feature it has is that it's an IPS panel. The response time is very noticeable in particularly fast-paced games, especially when a lot of camera movement is involved, and may cause eye strain in games where you actually try to focus on every single move, something like CSGO for instance. Other than that, it's a fantastic panel for the price and perfectly suitable for games like World of Tanks.

The image quality is way better than I'd expected. Looking at the average shitty display of notebooks or cheap bottom of the line non-IPS screens that you typically find at offices, schools, etc. always gave me cancer, because I was so used to the fantastic high pixel density display of my MB Pro. I expected the cheap screen for my desktop to be just as bad as all the other shitty screens I usually encounter, but unexpectedly this is way less cancerous than I thought.

TL;DR: What sort of screen do you want/need?

I'll probably get chased with pitchforks for this, but imo a 120€ 1080p 60Hz TN-Panel will do fine when you're on a budget as long as you're not doing anything colour-sensitive. Properly calibrated they look just fine and you can put the money you saved into better PC performance. I have BenQ GL2450s but I don't really know what's good around that price point atm.

I'll probably get chased with pitchforks for this, but imo a 120€ 1080p 60Hz TN-Panel will do fine when you're on a budget as long as you're not doing anything colour-sensitive. Properly calibrated they look just fine and you can put the money you saved into better PC performance. I have BenQ GL2450s but I don't really know what's good around that price point atm.

You right - especially considering no one outside of Finland has an idea about their price structure and available hardware.

Though considering the usuall price gap between GTX960/R9 380 (X) and the R9 390/GTX 970 at least a 380(X) + 144 MHz Freesync TFT should be researched. It might give more bang for your buck at 1080.

looks like the bit about jimm's being a german company was bs can't even get the website in english

ok so basically keep using this shitty acer p226HQV i have and gtx960 and i should see an upgrade? :)
i think it should be compatible?

thanks!

http://www.jimms.fi/en/Product/Show/111236/gtx-960-gaming-4g/msi-nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-gaming-4gb-gddr5-dvi-hdmi-3xdp-pci-e-3_0-upgrade-now

is this like something i should be getting because sure well within the budget

Next questions: Are you comfortable assembling PCs and is there a used market for PC parts in Finland?

Edit: What beside playing games are you doing with that PC or is gaming the most demanding task? 

You ve two problems when it comes to gaming:

• the GPU is a "joke" - total low end from ages ago (5-6 years)
  • a CPU with poor single core performance and 2 cores that pretend to be 4

with the upper limit of 1000$ you can get this:

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/F0lterknecht/saved/cJ8G3C (prices taken from Jimmy)

under the assumption that you really have 2x 4GB DDR3 (check that with GPU-z) and reuse it. The same can be done with the HDD, case (check gpu clearence) and PSU.

The monitor I included runs 144Hz and is FreeSnc compatible. Here is a review including settings for optimal picture quality:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

If you re not interested in that and 60Hz are enough, you can get a nice IPS panel 24inch with 60 Hz for around 250€.

Be aware you might have to get creative to get your GF away from that system, is she has a comparable setup as you have now. Or you just have to let her play on your lap.

ordered 2 of these babies, one for me and one for bby since local store had a nice discount on them Sapphire R9 380 4GB OC Dual-X NITRO Zero Fan

can't wait for the unboxening to happen