There's one thing which effects the amount of enjoyment I get out of this game. It isn't arty (as having competent enemies isn't too common) and it isn't gold. It's grinding.

I understand that grinding is integral to this game, especially due to the business model of the game. This game is free. You progress up a tech tree which takes you exponentially longer as you ascend. You
can pay real money to alleviate that, however it only works to a certain extent. The amount of time to grind out a line is purposefully set that way in order to make a player want to shell out real life currency.

This is fine. Wargaming is a business, and I don't expect something for free; hell, I've bought premium tanks and gold lots of times.

The problem with the grinding can be illustrated with a case study. Meet ribena (me), he has a job working 9-5 Monday to Friday. He can only play tenks for an hour or two a night, and even then he just gets his doubles and plays
something else (Pillars of Eternity lately). On weekends he spends his wages in the pub etc., only playing the game for an hour on Sat and Sun. ribena sets himself a target tank. He doesn't care for tier 10, but he wants tier 8
and maybe tier 9. Only playing 5 games a night in a tank doesn't really propel him through the tech tree (especially because he is shit at the game). He starts to wonder if any of it is worth it. Is there any point in playing
a tank he doesn't like or does well in, just to play something he would like?

I'll stop before this story gets out of hand, I just wanted to raise the point of playing the game. I play a game to have fun. Don't get me wrong, I have fun (most of the time) in World of Tanks. But having to play tanks that I don't want
to, in order to play tanks that I actually do want, is draining my fun. I perform crud in a certain tank. I don't want to play that tank. I don't get respectable xp in that tank. It's going to take years to progress up.

Has anyone got any advice on how to stay involved and interested with this game?

I don't know... It just seems like I'm trying to play a game that I don't think I'm ever going to achieve anything in. I'll follow up this post in 4 years time, once I've reached the E-50, Centurion 7/1 and the WZ 120.

Edited by ribena

I think many people under value a lot of tanks. Try to find the positive sides of a vehicle and try to realize what the bad things make you learn about the game. It'll make it an interesting journey towards your goals. If that doesn't work you may just not really like the game after all...

E: the clue is that you can't set tank goals or should avoid "grinding", if you're just playing your doubles this shouldn't even be the case. Play a little less and await the addiction symptoms :doge: 

I feel your pain. When I first started the game I was looking forward to playing iconic tanks like the Sherman, Tiger, etc... I took a long time to unlock those tanks. But on the flipside I did learn a lot about just how complex WoT can be in terms of tactics, mechanics etc... That level of complexity has more or less kept me involved over the long haul. (I am on a brief side trip playing WoWs for the moment...)

Sorry to break it to you pal, but 5 games a night is not going to get you anywhere anytime soon. I'd estimate it takes a good player w/ Premium around 500-700 games to reach Tier 9 from Tier 1, not counting credits required to buy the tanks and equipment. That means you need around 1000 games, or 200 days of playing before you unlock your target Tier 9. You either gotta make more time for WoT or stick to the lower tiers like I did. Tiers 5, 6, and 7 are cream of the crop IMO, and you can have just as much fun at those Tiers. 

I too would like something for nothing.

Not sure why you're trying to get addicted to this game, but if you want to get more interested, join a casual clan and play with some people.  I played casually without a clan for ~6K games before getting fed up with tomato players and looked for a clan so I could play with good players.

You said it yourself: It's the business model. If you find a tank unfun and the value of your time is more than the monetary value to skip that tank, you're supposed to spend money. The option to grind it out is there for the no-lifers, but if you actually do something with your time you probably shouldn't waste it on hundreds of games in tanks you don't like playing.

I feel you.
Not so much for the research part of grinding since I think trying to get to know new tanks is fun. You also tend to learn something from pretty much any tank you get to know if you try. Don't view the XP grind as a stepping stone, but as a learning experience. You get to play lots of different toys and despite what people sometimes claim I have yet to play a tank that really just straight up sucked and didn't have anything I could exploit for fun/success. Plus in the worst case you are looking at maybe 100ish games in the tank, so that's fine with me.

But once the research is done you kinda need silver to upgrade... I never did Stronkholds (cannot into serious clanu due to Uni), so driving the same couple premium tanks until you amassed the boatload of shekels needed for the next tank drew my will to play (and I pretty much only bought stuff when it was on discount). Coincidentally I stopped last spring after I emptied the last silver reserves I had (depot + tanks I no longer need all sold). I just can't be arsed to play even more games with my prems and regular tanks just don't rake in the cash (especially since a lot of the T7+8 meds I ground before quitting lack pen. Even if you only use gold when you need to that still kinda hurts). And yes, I have several T8 prems to ease that money grind. Doesn't help. I am sick of all of them.

TL;DR: Researching is good enough, playing the umptienth game in a premium you are already sick of is not.

After reading these replies, I have taken the radical step of just enjoying what I got. I won't even think about the next tank (within reason). I should take this game for what I have put into it: a free game that's supposed to hold my attention for only a small amount of time.

I get the model and I don't mind the grinds for the most part, but I will admit that sometimes its pretty haphazard and just plain silly the way WG has the grinds set up.  I grind out a Tier X radio on the chaffee that also fits the T37, but then I have to grind out a different tier X radio for the bulldog . . .

Or a tank where the upgraded tracks/turret/engine are totally irrelevant . . .

The Sherman derp lingering in the tree all the way to tier IX . . .

WG logic.  v0v

Sorry to break it to you pal, but 5 games a night is not going to get you anywhere anytime soon. I'd estimate it takes a good player w/ Premium around 500-700 games to reach Tier 9 from Tier 1, not counting credits required to buy the tanks and equipment. That means you need around 1000 games, or 200 days of playing before you unlock your target Tier 9. You either gotta make more time for WoT or stick to the lower tiers like I did. Tiers 5, 6, and 7 are cream of the crop IMO, and you can have just as much fun at those Tiers. 

As a point of reference, I started on/about Dec 15/2015. I certainly do not play as much as I used to with new wife on the way etc and co-habitating in sin.

Its taken me approximately 1 year to get ti tier 7 tanks and I am not a great player (not yet anyways) but if I had stuck to a couple of lines instead of a lot I am sure I would have got to tier X quicker. yes if you buy nothing in WoT (Prem time and prem tanks) then this grind will take you a very long time if 5 games a night is all you can muster. 

Have fun though, I do. 

My problem with this game is not grinding for next tank, it's the grind required from stock to make a tank not sucks, before that every match is a torture.

I've played this game since 2012 and I enjoyed it a lot as a newbie. Nowadays, my intensity of enjoyment is a lot less but the thing that keeps me in is both my fun in the sun keepers and my steadfast grinding quest to reach tank A, B, & C.

Without the latter, the longevity of gameplay would be lost for me and I wouldn't appreciate the gameplay more than I would playing a Zynga Slot Machine game. It's like playing Pokémon Platinum on a friend's 95% complete save file with a full uber team @ the Elite 4 with a guide at hand. 

What I'm trying to say is to try to enjoy mid tiers (#Alltanksmatter) since that is where you will spend most of your time atat. The end of the road only gets closer as you rise to in tiers and I presume you'll enjoy the game less with less incentive to strive for. End game content isn't abundant so I hear.

I would recommend dynamic platooning with pubbies. It seldom that they work but when they do, having a platoon mate to which you owe no obligation and statistically improve your odds of winning (moar winner's xp is noice).

If you want high tier gameplay ASAP then I recommend the German LT fastbois. There really isn't a bad tank in that line (free XP'ed the VK 2801 cuz ugly but think slightly weak T37) they're fun to play and the stock grinds are easy. Also sexi NATO Leo PTA. U.S LT grind is even more pleasant. As you know, LT gets +3MM but they're pretty adequate even bottom tier.

Need coin fast? LT's don't bleed much in credits. Otherwise Tiger/ Tiger (P) for medium/heavy class shekel makers.

You'll find higher tiers not necessarily the most enjoyable, especially as you grind through your tier 8-9 tanks from stock. it's (not) hilarious to be in the Panther II with the L/100 gun flinging 135 dmg 75mm shells on IS-7s and E100s.

5-8 was my sweet spot. i genuinely had fun at these tiers, just earning credits and crew experience. and having an experienced crew trained up is gamechanging as you go up the tiers.

just have fun, farm some credits, learn the game and earn some free Exp for those modules on some higher tier tanks that are just painful when completely stock.

Doing just daily bonus games on tanks you don't enjoy is the best way to get through them. It is also the slowest and hardest way. Changing tank every game makes you play less efficient in them. I do the same, several lines at the the same time, daily bonus and next but I have noticed the few times when specials were on that I can actually make tanks work better if I binge one particular tank. 

Playing tanks you don't like isn't good (I feel your pain on the Panthers and am glad I got the E50 now). So if you really play only 5 games a day non-premium focusing on having fun is a better idea. 

Get something like a Cromwell B, Rudy, or Churchill III. Those things can earn crazy amounts of exp. if you can afford converting it. And are generally good premiums too.

Check out Keweis' article on grinding efficiently:

http://wotlabs.net/articles/best-tank-lines-grinding-efficiently/

Some lines are much better when you have limited time to play. The IS-7 line for example. Where everything tier 5+ is a possible keeper. Or the Obj. 704 line, which is supposedly as great or better.

In the IS-7 line I had the IS for a very long time, I still have the IS-3 and the T-10 and I will buy the IS-7; most if not all of them were ground from stock.  In the FV215b line, by comparison, I only have the Conqueror, and Ive spent tons of free exp (and gold) going up that line.

I hate grinding, I also get about 2 hours a night for playing, I also don;t really like low tiers aside the odd tank and wanted tier 9 and 10s from my first games so I did what WG wanted to do, pay them money.

But I don't mind because grinding is not much fun, aside the grind through the Skoda T50 which was a breeze and easy. So now I play tanks I like to play, some of my most played tanks are tier 10 and I have more fun in the game. I have most tier 10s I want and now I'm in the position where if a new line comes out and I want certain tanks I have enough free xp ready to convert that I can pick and choose what I want to play.

Which is why when the Czech meds came out I free-xp'd to the tier 6, played that, skipped the tier 7 and 8 because they looked meh, then fully upgraded the tier 9 and ground through that. Sure it cost me cash, but that money made my precious time more fun than a grind would be.

I am going through a grind on a different account trying to get the invite tank, but I'm less rushed there and less bothered about playing well. 

I'd recommend getting some tanks you like and enjoy playing and concentrate on only grinding one tank like at a time, focus through it and power grind it when you can, but always include some games where you play in tanks you like. 

I also have so many tier 10s these days that many get sold off cos I don;t play them so I don't do much grinding unless it MOE grinding in tanks I like. Though the 113 after it's buff is now tempting so I may grind that. 

Simply never get the next tank unless you have sufficient free xp to unlock at least the top gun (and all modules required for it) and you'll be golden.

The grind is definitely a factor in me getting tired of this game.  I much prefer playing my mid tier tanks than playing my piece of shit M103 to make the bazillion xp it needs to get to the e5. 

Agreed. Tier 6-7-8 have a lot of fun factor for me (including tier4 crusader and PZ B2 seal wagon) but there are tanks i want to play in Tiers 9 & 10 in a competitive environment (not on test) such as the CAX. 

I do find it odd as well that WG doesn't seem to let us buy those boosters, well they don;t on the Eu server.

I have the +50% XP flags on WOWs, bought plenty of them as they are really helpful for power grinding.

Would love some right now for my invite tank grind, could save me 200-250 games if I had some of those two use.