The title question embodies the body of this thread. This is the place to compile your own analysis and opinion pieces as to what exactly happened, what went wrong, why, and what is going to happen in the future. 

It was introduced with a broken economy which pretty much killed any new mode sparkle. Thereafter queue times became an issue for the smaller servers.

Easy, most people lose credit when playing tier 10, and Rampage has the same income as a normal tier 10 pub game except you can die 3 times or more if you are shit.

Rampage is pretty much tier 10 only(unless you wan tot grind tier 8/9s)

Most people lose a shit load of credit, and loses interest after 50 or so games.

• Overall bad credit flow, especially on release which hurt first impressions.
  • Stupid ass missions and resulting rigging annoyed people.
  • Artillery strikes, because who doesn't enjoy having a good game and then getting shit on by sky cancer you can't even kill?
  • Steel Hunt is the single dumbest fucking idea WG has ever had. Only a 10 year old would think the idea of FFA death match tanks sounded good.
  • Design isn't really balanced for varied tank roles. Due to flag dynamics, open maps, and repair bays half the 10s in the game are worthless in the mode and only a modest number are really competitive.
  • Being able to take non-tier 10 tanks into the mode makes it a joke. There's not much sense the mode is to be taken seriously when a third of your team has decided to play lower tier tanks to build up stock shit or farm credits with premiums.
  • Higher proportion of more skilled players likely drove the average masses away. They'd rather do randoms than have to constantly play against tons of green-purples every game.

What will they do? As always, leave it half finished and move on to something else shiny.

If they wanted to ensure people played 'Rampage' mode then WG should have changed the credit earning potential/repair costs. Make it economically attractive for players and they will flock to it in droves.

The credit incentive is there but a lot of people overlook it with some valid reason. Roughly speaking, the T22 missions give a 100k credit payout per mission. It's kinda tedious though; the payout isn't worth it considering the cost of time, the gameplay seems boring on it's own right and pubbies are generally too bad to really see that incentive considering how challenging the first mission is. Plus who the fuck is going to need cash money when they "only" have 3 tier 10 tanks.

Honestly, they should of made rampage mode a tier 1 - 5 thing. Those tiers seem to mix best with the gameflow of garage battles, tiers 1 - 3 especially. Sell some new bs tiers 1 - 5 in middle price bundles for both rampage/random modes and done son.

Well I don't consider mission rewards as a sufficient motivator because you can only do them once and some aren't practical for your average player to complete. Now if they made it a good way to grind credits like maybe 2 x normal then lot of players would play it I think.

Easy, most people lose credit when playing tier 10, and Rampage has the same income as a normal tier 10 pub game except you can die 3 times or more if you are shit.

Rampage is pretty much tier 10 only(unless you wan tot grind tier 8/9s)

Most people lose a shit load of credit, and loses interest after 50 or so games.

You actually lost more credits than normal.

You actually lost more credits than normal.

The repair bill is the same as pubs, as is income.

But then again, in pubs you just die once, in Rampage, you get spawn camped if shit goes bad.

But then again, in pubs you just die once, in Rampage, you get spawn camped if shit goes bad.

Felt like I lost more despite losing 2 tanks and dealing 14k.

It's a new game mode that isn't FUN. Simple as that.

Unless you have the skills, tanks and can afford to and would like to have a stab at getting your hands on the T-22sr (short of exploiting/cheating), there's not much to draw people to Rampage mode. It's pretty much the same Random Battles with the same dumbass teammates, but with even more pressure and stuff to pay attention to that easily overwhelms the inexperienced and infuriates the experienced players alike. This game is targeted to experienced players who are in clans and have extensive experience in their tier 10 tanks (and only a specific few tier 10s can be considered viable), whereas the 99% are collateral damage.

I gave up on this game mode after a week. There's no incentive to play it since I know i won't get anything much out of it.

When was the last ACTUALLY FUN game mode WG introduced to the game? Oh, last Christmas 2014? The 8-bit Winter Battles? Football? Chaffee Race? KARL?!?! Xbox has Toy Tanks and Lunar Mode, and as silly as those sounds it does sound more fun than Rampage.

I am of the opinion that the manner in which WG made Rampage/Domination available is they key to its lack of success.

It is also the exact same problem that Gaijin have with Realistic and Simulator battles in War Thunder.

Consider Standard/Encounter/Assault in WoT and Conquest/Domination/Break in WTGF. These modes are wrapped up in a single queue. Players click on the Battle button and enter a queue of players waiting to be added to battles. The players don't necessarily know what kind of battle they will be getting into (Unless you disable Encounter/Assault in WoT, but let's ignore that for now) but they do know they will be in battle fairly quickly.

Now consider the alternate modes for each game. In order to try these alternate modes you need to enter into a separate queue. This is pretty much the entire source of the problem. When a player starts WoT/WT they do so with the aim of playing battles. In most cases, they wish to do so with a minimum delay. In order for them to enter battle with minimum delay they select a queue to enter based on what they know:

• They know that if they enter the queue for the "standard" modes they will enter battle pretty quickly
  • They know that if they enter the queue for one of the "alternate" modes they will not enter battle as quickly

How do they know these things? Simple, they'be based on discovery:

Option A:

1. Player decides to try "standard" mode
  2. Player enters queue
  3. Player waits to enter battle
  4. Player eventually enters battle

Option B:

1. Player decides to try "alternate" mode
  2. Player enters queue
  3. Player waits to enter battle
  4. Player eventually enters battle

After doing this for a little while most players (Even the really stupid ones) notice that the time spent in steps 3 and 4 for Option A is far less than that for Option B.

Based on this knowledge and given that the player wishes to spend more time playing the game than waiting to play the game, the player will naturally tend to select the mode guaranteed to result in actual play even if he/she has some interest in the other mode.

This then functions as a feedback loop. As players move from the queue for option B to that of option A the amount of time other players spend in the option B queue becomes longer and they in turn are more likely to move to the queue for option A, which then further accentuates the issue for other players.

People don't like waiting in line. This applies to a lot of things in life, not just games. If a person is waiting in a queue and feel like the queue is not moving quickly enough they *will* exit the queue and enter a different one which they perceive to be more likely to move faster. Whether or not the new queue actually moves quicker is a another matter and tends to vary based on what the queue is for.

TL;DR: In a game with a match-making system, multiple queues are a bad fucking idea because they segregate your population in ways that encourage the players to migrate to a single queue.

^^ This! ^^ Happened to me and it sucked.. stayed alive for too long in my Lorraine, then *poof* *poof* two tier 10's death... 50B was dead before it was even loaded.

Im inclined to agree with Ezz, theres just no draw to the mode at all. You cant really grind in it, because the MM is top skewed and you get shat on, you cant make creds in it because economy (this was identified as an issue in the tests as well, and WG never fixed it), and the missions are outright impossible for the average pubbie (or even green shitters like me). 

What they should have done was offer something unique and attainable, increased free XP earnings would probably be the least game breaking drawcard, and limited time missions for cosmetics would probably be enough to keep a steady baseline of players around.

Cosmetics are a fucking great drawcard in F2P games. I have no idea why WG doesnt leverage them more.

Too many game modes, too little players.

If they had introduced it in the winter of 2014, it would've probably succeeded.

Also, you lose money so much with rampage. I lose almost 25k per game (probably only because I suck at it).

AND THE T-22sr. tank that is impossible for a purple- to get without rigging.

Two reasons:

1. You can't make any credits. This game mode should be all about making a lot of credits.

2. The focus of the game mode is not about having fun and making credits, but instead about playing stupid missions to get a stupid tank.

When they first brought in the domination and steel hunt several patches ago before the arty, before the missions, back when you could make credits in it, it was buckets of fun. Though with each patch they added things that made is slightly worse and worse first the arty, limited respawns, changing credit earnings, adding missions.

Also in addition to not really being fun or profitable they limited the number of people available to play the gamemode. Before everyone had the option to play it whether you had 1 game or 50000 games. I don't know the stats but I'm fairly certain that a lot less people play tier 10 or have access to multiple 10s to even play the gamemode than those that dont. Sure they have missions to get the rental tanks but I don't know anyone who is going to want to play another 15ish games to get them to play in a shitty gamemode.

1) Its just not unique to normal tier 10 play, and often standard ammo for the most common tier 10's just isn't good enough for many situations. Tier 8's would have been more interesting, as their standard ammo is viable vs each other in most situations with some aiming, and a wider variety of play styles given that you can play LTs.

2) Credit income. Hammered to death already. Its too much of a barrier to entry, which is why the mid-tiers (esp. tier 5 and 6) are so popular

3) Game-Mode is too much of something we've already seen someplace else.

4) Mission design rewarded those who worked together, and quickly turned to punishing those who were not part of the group, dropping game mode population further.

Lets not forget the amazing rampage matchmaker that picks the same map literally nine times out of ten.

^^^^

Yeah, like Cliff is lots of fun when u r on the side that farms the spawn instead of being farmed/leaving battle after 1st death - oh wait, it's still boring as fuck so let's play this map 200 times in a row.

Frankly, WG targeted the wrong portion of their player base.  From anyone's pub experiences there are many players who "just want to shoot tanks" and "play for fun", maybe even a few that would like to "try" Tier 10 (without downloading common test).  Those players are often punished in pubs, however a no holds barred death match should appeal to them if they got rewarded in some fashion (e.g. Winter Mode), in this mode they are punished further and its a barrier to entry.

4) Mission design rewarded those who worked together, and quickly turned to punishing those who were not part of the group, dropping game mode population further.

QFT and as the missions targeted the top end players due to the associated T22sr OPness, and issues surrounding "earning it" increased the backlash against the mode.

I would have proposed a "choose your own" reward personal mission that appeals to the 4-7 Tier range player.  Want an e-25? here is a set of personal missions..., want a TOG II, here is a different set of personal missions..., limit it to one CYO PM, or choose 1 each calendar year...

I totally agree, I don't think WG knows what we want. The top end playerbase does not want game modes like rampage, and trying to implement these modes as "hardcore gamer" magnets is just asinine. These are not even the modes that your casual play-for-fun player wants, even though this is the demographic they should cater towards when designing modes like this.

What the top end playerbase wants is actually completely in line with what the casual playerbase wants - a relaxed, hands-off, non-competitive game mode that we can come to when we get burnt out in random battles or tourneys/strongholds. Instead, this is what we got:

• Extremely boring, nearly-symmetrical maps.
  • Punishing credit gains until too late.
  • An extremely difficult mission set for a vehicle that's most appealing to top-end players.

It's so obvious what crowd they were trying to appeal to, and it just obliterated the mode's population. I mean for fucks sake, they could just make like six 8-bit mode maps, a couple more 8-bit tanks, and a handful of easy to moderately difficult mission sets with some funsy tank rewards and people would of liked it far more than this. When your month-long gag mode is more interesting for a longer period of time than a mode you've poured sweat and tears into, you've fucked up.

^^ This! ^^ Happened to me and it sucked.. stayed alive for too long in my Lorraine, then *poof* *poof* two tier 10's death... 50B was dead before it was even loaded.

I got camped so hard in one match that I lost my M48 before it loaded.  I spawned and was shot 5 times before I could even move the tank.  20k+ repair bill without even getting to aim my gun at an enemy, let alone do damage.

-lacks tactical aspects which make WoT appealing

-takes the shittiest thing out of random battles and multiplies it: arty/personal reserves

-dumbs down maps and thus gameplay

-makes skill even less important than in randoms in favour of RNG