Sign in to follow this  
Deusmortis

Considering a Down Under vacation, seeking advice

I'm planning to do a nice international vacation this year.  I'm about 80% sure I'm choosing Australia as my destination.  I know we have a few people from that area, and wanted some advice:

When would be the best time to visit?  I'm used to a varied range of climates, having lived roughly half my life in cold weather states or subtropical areas.  

What would be the best place to fly into?

Any "must do/must see" items?

My AMEX has no international fees.  How widely accepted is the American Express card?

Any general advice for visitors?

I suspect most flights are cheapest into Sydney plus it's a major hub so will allow pretty easy transfers to wherever.

As above, amex not all that popular plus often wears a surcharge. Generally travelling on visa is easier and probably cheaper - but not sure what US banks are like.

Places to see will depend on what you are looking for... but there are some nice attractions pretty much in all states...

WA - isolated but less populated and some very nice areas in the south west. Bloody hot and dry in the north west. And bloody big...

NT - a bunch of country towns, but popular with tourists. There's a rock.

Qld - best launch pad if you are keen to see the reef. Cairns a backpacker hot spot.

NSW - more beaches, nice in summer (now), and Sydney is a decent harbour city.

Vic - cooler, Melbourne a fairly cosmopolitan 'culcha' sort of city, and great ocean road a great drive... if you're into that.

Tas - pretty landscape - almost european... but don't talk to the locals... they are mostly inbreds...

(SA - left intentionally blank because there is SFA there... except a few churches and wineries)

I wouldn't go if you want to live.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2013/03/australias-dangerous-animals-the-top-30/

http://www.cracked.com/funny-5997-the-animals-that-make-australia-deathtrap-it-is/

Winters probably a better time to visit as the snakes we'll be hibernating at least, but you've got an increased chance of being attacked by drop bears.

Spiders and snakes and sharks and man o' war and jellyfish and mosquitos and ants and alligators were already part of my daily life for 18 years.  Wildlife doesn't scare me much.  

As far as what I'd like...  Naturish stuff is nice.  Nicer if I can fly over or drive through.  I have to walk too much at work.  

Life near the ocean makes beaches less appealing to me.  

Activities that involve drinking are quite appealing.

I like historical things.  Old forts, museums, etc. 

why would you go to Australia when New Zealand is so much better?

and you get the added bonus of not being horribly killed by something 10 seconds after getting off the plane

It can't be that nice.  You and Pity are there :surprisefish:

You have to realise that as far as 'historical' goes, you'll be limited to 1800s for most stuff. We are isolated as folk so forts didn't really happen. Tassie was an old penile colony so they have some old shit. Sydney has some decent museums and the rocks which doubles as a fine pub crawl location. Melbourne has better museums i think, and some old parts. Not sure you'll find must outside that.

Naturish stuff, as mentioned there's the reef, but if that doesn't float your boat, qld has rainforests which would probably be a start. Tassie is a far cooler climate so the landscape is very different. Plus there's a smattering of zoos if you don't mind incarcerated wildlife. Taronga in Syd doubles as a great spot to get views of the city but most visitors take the easy option and visit the far far shittier option that is in the CBD.

How long are you visiting for by the way?

WA - isolated but less populated and some very nice areas in the south west. Bloody hot and dry in the north west. And bloody big...

NT - a bunch of country towns, but popular with tourists. There's a rock.

Qld - best launch pad if you are keen to see the reef. Cairns a backpacker hot spot.

NSW - more beaches, nice in summer (now), and Sydney is a decent harbour city.

Vic - cooler, Melbourne a fairly cosmopolitan 'culcha' sort of city, and great ocean road a great drive... if you're into that.

Tas - pretty landscape - almost european... but don't talk to the locals... they are mostly inbreds...

(SA - left intentionally blank because there is SFA there... except a few churches and wineries)

:( 

...There's also the ACT, there's, um, not really an awful lot of anything here really, unless you happen to work for the government, though there is a pretty good War Museum, so I guess that's something.

:( 

...There's also the ACT, there's, um, not really an awful lot of anything here really, unless you happen to work for the government, though there is a pretty good War Museum, so I guess that's something.

Ah yes... good war museum and a bunch of roundabouts.

Going to 'straya but not coming to NZ? You're dead to me.

Pop into Bondi... you get a taste of our beaches and the NZ* people all in one.

*Also saffers, brazilians, pomms, irish... and if you're lucky, the odd strayan.

I'm planning to do a nice international vacation this year.  I'm about 80% sure I'm choosing Australia as my destination.  I know we have a few people from that area, and wanted some advice:

When would be the best time to visit?  I'm used to a varied range of climates, having lived roughly half my life in cold weather states or subtropical areas.  

My AMEX has no international fees.  How widely accepted is the American Express card?

go to northern straya whenever you feel, its always hot but its never cold

why would you go to Australia when New Zealand is so much better?

and you get the added bonus of not being horribly killed by something 10 seconds after getting off the plane

typical nz shitter

Going to 'straya but not coming to NZ? You're dead to me.

another nz shitter

TL DR : straya is as multicultural as you can get, if you like good weather and chicks with their tits hangin out visit any part of straya from december to march (cept tas that place is pure inbred and cold as fuck )

if you like general warm weather just visit northern states whenever plus you get to do all the "cool tourist shit" up there like crocodile farms and a overdose of chicks with their tits hanging out

forget NZ tho its just a poorer straya with less chicks walking around with their tits hanging out

TL DR : straya is as multicultural as you can get, if you like good weather and chicks with their tits hangin out visit any part of straya from december to march (cept tas that place is pure inbred and cold as fuck )

if you like general warm weather just visit northern states whenever plus you get to do all the "cool tourist shit" up there like crocodile farms and a overdose of chicks with their tits hanging out

forget NZ tho its just a poorer straya with less chicks walking around with their tits hanging out

Can't really argue with that tbh.

Best time to visit? Depends what you're after and where you plan on going. Most Americans don't realise that Australia is nearly as large a landmass as the contintental US, it's just that the vast majority is pretty much empty. Tasmania has probably the most historical buildings/landmarks and isn't that big so you can drive pretty much anywhere in five hours or so. At the moment the weather down here is as nice as it's likely to get and I'd suggest coming by the end of March if you intend a Tassie trip. Otherwise I'd suggest Queensland especially the top end or the Northern Territory for naturish stuff, you can drive more or less everywhere but you do need a proper 4wd and gps if you plan on leaving the highway. As for good drinking Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane have plenty of waterholes to suit almost every taste. I'd agree with Ezz that Sydney is probably the best place to use as an entry point and at least you can go and have a look at the Bridge and the Opera house and when you get bored of that there's plenty of pubs all along the waterfront. As far as beaches go Bondi is a great place to go and sit in the RSL and watch everyone else get sunburnt while you have a beer.

Ignore Adelaide and Canberra completely. 

Western Australia is fucking huge. Something like a third of all the land mass of the whole country. Driving distances in WA are just ridiculous. When I was visiting family in Fremantle I mentioned that I wouldn't mind a trip to shark bay which looks reasonably close on the map, 10 hours they told me. It's seriously pretty and very unique country too. As well as Fremantle being one of my favourite places in the country for it's exceptionally beautiful women and really good breweries that you can go to, have a meal and drink lots.

Honestly you could spend three weeks anywhere quite comfortably it really does depend on what you feel like seeing.

As already stated AMEX is a somewhat iffy proposition, you'll find about half of the place in metro areas will take it and considerably less everywhere else. Visa is the preffered card pretty much everywhere.

General advice? Sunscreen, use it religously. We are not fucking kidding about how bad you can get burnt down here. Idiot coworker nearly got hospitalised last week after being out in the sun for 5 hours. Actually blistered his back and his legs are swollen. This in the supposedly most temperate part of the whole country. 

Paging @StormCrowReaperManyHats if I'm not mistaken. :doge: 

Also this thread needs more @westybig :D 

Wow, rood.

Also no threads need westy. Kappa.

Best time to visit? Depends what you're after and where you plan on going. Most Americans don't realise that Australia is nearly as large a landmass as the contintental US, it's just that the vast majority is pretty much empty. Tasmania has probably the most historical buildings/landmarks and isn't that big so you can drive pretty much anywhere in five hours or so. At the moment the weather down here is as nice as it's likely to get and I'd suggest coming by the end of March if you intend a Tassie trip. Otherwise I'd suggest Queensland especially the top end or the Northern Territory for naturish stuff, you can drive more or less everywhere but you do need a proper 4wd and gps if you plan on leaving the highway. As for good drinking Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane have plenty of waterholes to suit almost every taste. I'd agree with Ezz that Sydney is probably the best place to use as an entry point and at least you can go and have a look at the Bridge and the Opera house and when you get bored of that there's plenty of pubs all along the waterfront. As far as beaches go Bondi is a great place to go and sit in the RSL and watch everyone else get sunburnt while you have a beer.

Ignore Adelaide and Canberra completely. 

Western Australia is fucking huge. Something like a third of all the land mass of the whole country. Driving distances in WA are just ridiculous. When I was visiting family in Fremantle I mentioned that I wouldn't mind a trip to shark bay which looks reasonably close on the map, 10 hours they told me. It's seriously pretty and very unique country too. As well as Fremantle being one of my favourite places in the country for it's exceptionally beautiful women and really good breweries that you can go to, have a meal and drink lots.

Honestly you could spend three weeks anywhere quite comfortably it really does depend on what you feel like seeing.

As already stated AMEX is a somewhat iffy proposition, you'll find about half of the place in metro areas will take it and considerably less everywhere else. Visa is the preffered card pretty much everywhere.

General advice? Sunscreen, use it religously. We are not fucking kidding about how bad you can get burnt down here. Idiot coworker nearly got hospitalised last week after being out in the sun for 5 hours. Actually blistered his back and his legs are swollen. This in the supposedly most temperate part of the whole country. 

Wow, rood.

Also no threads need westy. Kappa.

*cracks knuckles*

true that while straya is large as the us 95% of tourists dont posses the vehicle power to traverse it properly(its laregly sandy desert) , thus reiterating my original point, (if you not visiting the nothern coasts your missing out on tits)

literally any place in straya in a good watering hole i mean our country was more or less founded on alcohol rebellions its not like your missing out if you have a few pints/ schooners/ whatever the dumbfuck systen your non south strayan state has in place of the widely recognized schooner > pint > imperial pint

true dat north straya once again with its overflow of local/ foreign tits does provide a real advantage for seeing a lot of the wild life and experiencing the real "natural tourist trail"

west australia is a fucking desert hole with perth if you want to abuse your overseas accent and broome if you want to compete with others using the same accent if your not there to mine iron gtfo and relocate to darwin for ezz pussay

im currently working in the hospitality industry in south straya and AMEX inst a problen for us it just needs to be inserted to work (:kwim:) but srs i dont see why you would have any probs using amex in straya or why not just plan ahead and get a local card if it bothers you that much?

one both accounts storm here is unfortunately right sunscreen is really necessary if you dont want to die of skin peeling and i am so probably the worst kind of thread poster/ plat mate one could suffer with (unless your considering to travel to Tasmania seriously fuck that shithole)