Shade421

Why the NA server should just be put down

I played a PvP match in my Ariete.

It was literally Ariete, Abrams, T-90 vs Ariete, Abrams & T-90. Maybe 2-3 non-those vehicles per match.

Not 100% sure how this is 'dynamic' as most of them can't pen each other from the front reliably as of the current balance. Maps don't encourage flanking as camo is useless and vision is pointless as MBTs have the vision and mobility of TDs/AFVs at high tiers or those vehicles don't have quite enough to reliably flank.

Maybe it's just too few vehicles, maybe it's PvE. Either way it's not that satisfying to play in PvP at the moment really.

Not to mention OE are increasingly pissing me off. 'It's beta!' but with a fully integrated and functional premium shop, relentless articles and specials brandishing threats about how awesome everything is.

Yet patches are infrequent, rarely address real problems, frequently introduce/excacerbate new problems or just flat out miss promised updates or the devs lie about what they were going to do (see income "buffs") and shows a complete lack of dev knowledge regarding the game.

SS actually said 'oh, all our feedback indicates the Challenger is a really well balanced tank' when 50% of the forum was "BUFF.THE.CHALLENGER.NOW" and within weeks it was Chally buffs all over because it was "underperforming". The level of dev ... oblivious-ness with all this back-side-steparound-stepping is infuriating to see.

The whole damn point of EA is to tune your game, yet OE have repeatedly proven they just care about shoving new product out rather than fixing anything.

As a small silver lining, their webstore is hella cheap compared to WGs.

I tend to disagree with you on the solo thing Uni.  I pretty much had the same issue Acumen had, held a 56% WR while game had population, dropping nightly/daily now to 51%.  Got it back up to 52% and i.e. yesterday went about 9-16 after having probably my best day of game play ever.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with me playing with/against the same 30-40 people.  As CarbonWard stated solo is tough to influence, especially on non-vision maps where you have to brawl frontally. The luck of the MM draw is significant when you are facing good platoons and constantly teamed with Testiculas [Sack]. 

Whether it be WoT, WoWS or AW, I wish someone would have the balls to throw in a skill ceiling to be able to play specific tiers.  I'm not saying alienate all your customers, but give the 75% non-troglodytes a chance to enjoy their teammates.  I lost 4 f-ing PVE matches in a row upon log in yesterday, because pubbies in a tier 5-7 spread playing Challenger 1s can't even manage 2k damage in a PVE match.  I totally understand losing Banshee etc when MM gave you 5 pubbies all in AFVs, but you should have to learn to play a tank before you move up to the next one.  I also had a full health M1 Abrams player I was watching in a PVE match 1v1ing an A.I. XM1 where he lost to it and did 1 damaging shot.  It's players like this who ruined WoT et al and they're really hurting a game with only a handful of players. 

23 hours ago, Shade421 said:

So of the 4 tier 8 MBT's in the game, you saw all but one of them consistently....

Forgot to add the Leo, but it was rarer.

When it's just the same 4 tanks per team, it gets stale fast.

22 hours ago, Vitellius9 said:

It's players like this who ruined WoT et al and they're really hurting a game with only a handful of players. 

Of the players who migrated from WoT to AW, do you think that most of them were a) players dedicated to critical evaluation of their own gameplay, or b) players who were certain that their god-given tanking expertise was only held back by some inherent flaw in the game they game from? 

4 hours ago, Kilpanic said:

Of the players who migrated from WoT to AW, do you think that most of them were a) players dedicated to critical evaluation of their own gameplay, or b) players who were certain that their god-given tanking expertise was only held back by some inherent flaw in the game they game from? 

It's both. Players who are disaffected by WOT for whatever reason have moved over. OE deliberately tried to make themselves the anti-WG so those looking for a brighter future have moved.

6 hours ago, FrankyMcShanky said:

Today I played in the middle of a weekday for the first time in many months and holy shit the server is dead.

Yes the game is pretty dead and like Poktio has said this game is supposed to be in "BETA". yet they are constantly throwing out premium tanks. I think OE/MY are worse than WGing when it comes to money grubbing. I read forum posts about how MY are worse than WG when it comes to trying to drag cash out their user base. I didn't want to believe it but am now pretty sure those stories are true.

13 minutes ago, Acumen said:

Yes the game is pretty dead and like Poktio has said this game is supposed to be in "BETA". yet they are constantly throwing out premium tanks. I think OE/MY are worse than WGing when it comes to money grubbing. I read forum posts about how MY are worse than WG when it comes to trying to drag cash out their user base. I didn't want to believe it but am now pretty sure those stories are true.

It's looking that way. And I seriously doubt OE has anything to do with it, they just don't have a choice.

1 hour ago, Shade421 said:

It's looking that way. And I seriously doubt OE has anything to do with it, they just don't have a choice.

sadly its true, I've been saying it for the longest My.com is going to run this game into the ground.

i was so happy when this game debuted and i saw an american company was developing it, then i found out they were being funded by my.com/mail.ru....RIP

Since everyone loves me, I managed to get on board at the very start of AW alpha, before you could just buy your way in or sign up or however they did it.  From day 1 to now, their issue is that they're rushing stuff way too much.  

I can't remember which stuff is NDA, and I'm too lazy to write something fancy, but I do think I've got a pretty solid idea of the issues.  Like I said, the big root of them is they rushed too fast out of alpha and early access to get into the open.  They've got big problems with how they tier vehicles, arty punishes aggressive players instead of base campers, shot delay, over armored high tier MBTs that require pixel sniping, etc.  

Tier 9 tanks were really rushed too, and I can only imagine it's My.com wanting the Putin Seal of Approval once they add stronk T-14 Armata.  That tank is why they added the preview feature after all.  I'm sure the Polish like getting to see their CV-90 with a body kit too :kwim:

From my dealings with AW and WoT, the NA AW people are miles above WGNA and WGEU.  Just like WGNA and WGEU though, they're not really the ones who are calling the shots on most of these issues.  Complain about SS all you want with him as the face of the AW forums, but the AW guys actually do their jobs, unlike the WG people who take 2 weeks to press a single goddamn button that had broke the game for me in WoWS alpha.

TL;DR
Read Deus_Ex_Machina's post above this one

Tier 9 tanks was one of the biggest mistakes. The base game was not good enough to justify such a massive change.

Also now they're with Namco Bandai, Kings of Terrible Monetization Schemes. If their track record is to be gone by, expect premium missions and everything.

17 hours ago, FrankyMcShanky said:

Today I played in the middle of a weekday for the first time in many months and holy shit the server is dead.

Last night I played 7 games from 8:00EST to 9:30EST in my XM1. Not ONE match was a full 15 vs 15 game. They were all 8 vs 8 which ended up with one of two or our tanks yoloing to their death in the first few minutes of the match. Yes..you guessed it..all 7 games were loses (RIP w/r).

Later in the evening I dropped down to tier 5 and there was no issues getting full matches.

To top it off SS keeps locking all the threads about the NA server population with statements like "don't worry, we know it's a problem", "we can't release our marketing information", "we are working on a solution....". The stupid 2k free XP NA event is doing absolutely nothing for the server population at low tiers. Every match I've done in my tier 2 has been low tier against 3s and 4s. If this event was supposed to help out people at tier 1-2, it's not working...

3 hours ago, Pocktio said:

Tier 9 tanks was one of the biggest mistakes. The base game was not good enough to justify such a massive change.

I agree as it really fucks up the match maker and tier 7 tanks. They are basically fodder for the tier 9 matches they get thrown into from time to time. If they just stuck to tier 8 max and introduced 9 and 10 at the same time it would have been a much better way of implementing.

Funny thing is I made a similar claim that introducing tier 9s was a mistake, though my argument was that introducing tier 9's would ruin the economy....And I was right. I guessed that the current credit economy wasn't ready for tier 9 exspenses and of course I was 100% right. I warned OE that they should hold off on tier 9 and above because the economy wasn't stable enough with only tier 6 premiums. Imagine trying to support the purchaseing and equipping tier 9/10 tanks in WoT with only a Tier 6 premium, the grind for credits would be awful. And that's what is happening in AW right now, and as a result OE is repeatedly "adjusting" the credit /exp income when that isn't the problem. The problem is that OE is introducing high tier vehicles without the neccisary high tier premiums to support it.

On 1/19/2016 at 1:36 PM, Wolfcastles said:

So should I abandon the NA server and get on the EU train? I live on the east coast so the ping hopefully won't be too horrible :D

I tried it finally after the suckasscraptasticpingspikes/lag I've had all week on the NA server (from Nebraska of all places) and the difference in ping from NA to EU is about 40 (90 NA to 132 EU) and the EU is more stable in the early going. 

The founders pack transferred just fine.   

Only thing I bought that didn't transfer was some gold I bought through the premium shop for NA server.  

Not sure if its supposed to roll over too or not?

edit: its not supposed to roll over

^Dear Lord, please don't.  I'm basically gonna have to give the game up if that ever happens.

@TheMostComfortableTanker : I've heard lots of people talk poorly about My.Com saying they're even worse than Wargaming in terms of product support, but I've never really heard of them before AW (keep in mind I'm American).  Any stories or articles that might enlighten me?

9 minutes ago, SgtRicko said:

@TheMostComfortableTanker : I've heard lots of people talk poorly about My.Com saying they're even worse than Wargaming in terms of product support, but I've never really heard of them before AW (keep in mind I'm American).  Any stories or articles that might enlighten me?

AW was my first encounter with My.com and Obisdian too.  I've only talked with people on the NA/EU side of My.com, none of the RU folks or Obsidian.  NA/EU My.com is much nicer to deal with than anything WG.  So much less red tape, people generally care more about the game, stuff like that.  I've not been with them near as long as WG, but I noticed the difference near right away.  Of course they've not been perfect, but still certainly better than WG.

I would ask a favor from one of them, and I would get a reply from them as soon as they got back.  If I needed a code or something, they'd send me one, no questions asked.  There was an actual system built on trust and doing things right.  With WG, I usually need to ask multiple times for them to even consider doing something, they usually need to check with someone else or something else first, any they're generally less willing to doing anything in the first place.  WG seems more liable to say they'll do one thing but actually not.  WG not only treats their volunteers like shit, the only thing I've gotten from WG for all of my work were a few small bonus codes and the shittiest tank in the game (ISU-130).  WG had some nice people with them, but they either didn't last long, or got kicked off to somewhere else.

I can't say how well it all looks from the outside like on the forums or whatever since I haven't stalked there much, but the inside is a lot more healthy.  As with WoT though, I feel a lot of the issues stem from RU.

Well that's pleasing to hear.  

Can't speak much about the quality of AW's forum admins though. I began to avoid that place once I realized how frequently the same arguments and conspiracies were being recycled by fanbase carried over from WoT.  Doubly so since the AW devs seemed to have decided upon their overall course for the game being a modern-day WoT clone but with more polish, and that any fancy ideas or features to make the game really unique weren't likely to be workable.  

To be fair, that's probably what everybody wanted to begin with; remember how many threads would appear pre-AW asking if Wargaming would make such a product?  So I guess that could be a partial cause.

That's too bad because when I played the Beta I liked AW.
I've been unable to play basically anything up until recently, but I was kinda looking forward to AW. Oh well, I guess I can stick with "Anything but WoT"(Aka CIV, aka alt-tabbing and watching 6 hours of Youtube)

On 1/21/2016 at 2:52 PM, Haswell said:

IMO one major lifeline for Ships right now is all the weeb content satisfying the weaboos. Throw in some anime girls and people will play it no matter what.

AW has already started the death spiral, unless something drastic happens it will just keep sinking. I witnessed this first-hand for Planes (I have no shame), it's hard for me to not recognize AW running the same path.

Just commenting on some of the comparisons to AW and WoWS & PVE content as someone that quite WoT and went full time WoWS and semi-dabble in AW PVE. Unlike AW, I think WoWS have a pretty solid foundation and will be around for while. 

I  think WoWS have a pretty solid game around tier 5-7, a tier range that is pretty easy to reach and are very competitive which is conducive to casual players that logs on 2-3 times a week and play 3-4 games at a time. Relative to AW, I felt that  WoWS have a higher skill floor but a lower skill ceiling, which while not ideal for people that are competitive, it's an arena that foster a bigger casual population which helps with filling the team roster in randoms. At end-game tiers (8-10) there are similar issues with low server pop and very imbalance ships (Yamato) and a horrid economy, but because they have a solid game at mid tiers you can still have a lot of fun not playing the end game content. 

As to having PVE content, I think it is something that is good for the game no matter if you are speaking of WoT, AW, or WoWS. I think it's just good to remove the people that genuinely does not want to play competitive PVP from PVP games; this is where people that YOLO or put in zero effort if they think they're going to lose comes from. But a key difference in how WoWS did PVE than AW was, PVE have a much poorer credit and XP earnings than PvP matches... it'll probably take you 2-3 times longer to grind something via PVE than PVP. Also all of their mission/events requires PvP which incentivizes people that are borderline to occasionally play PvP but can escape to PvE if they are not in a competitive mood. At the moment I pretty much only play PVE on AW and have zero incentive to play PvP. 

Finally it helps to advertise as well. I think there was a pretty big WoWS marketing campaign in January where I saw commercials for WoWS during sports games. While WoWS NA population isn't exactly booming, it at least has been slowly growing over the past month or so. 

It's getting so bad that I can't even play PVE during the evening in Asia.

I'd play on EU, but unfortunately my ISP routes to EU via the US, so my traffic goes 2/3rd around the world instead of 1/3rd, and you can't play with 300+ ping.

Shame really, there was and is so much potential.

I'm not a big PVE fan in general, but I do love having it in AW.  It's nice to have an avenue to get a good experience double in or escape into to do something productive when the players or population devolve into complete shit.  I also like that PVP nets you way more credits. 

As for the NA server, it's certainly sad that they've finally put effort into gaining population back with the daily log in bonus and the events, but it seems too late.  This "We're just in beta, give us a break" isn't a great excuse when you're charging for premium, premium tanks and open to all.  Even when there's enough population on to PVP, I always end up in tier 4, since it's the only well populated tier getting balanced MM and not the same 35 people.  Having tried the EU server after SirDerpsAlot's glowing remarks, I've been in love ever since.  I still grind the NA when I can, but it's even more fun to grind tanks I've already been through on EU just to have great matches.