Shade421

Why the NA server should just be put down

I'm still stubbornly clinging to NA, most likely because I tend to stomach much longer queues than most by merit of the power of alt-tab, but PvE matchmaking during this week's event has been pretty excellent, I usually only have to wait for it to set up the match.

I can't say I mind the 3-4 minute queue, I often wished WoT had longer queues to work out better MM.  The problem with the current AW NA 3+ minute queue is that it just takes that long to put you with the same 30-40 people you've seen all night.  Throw in 2 good platoons in the mix who happen to end up opposite you more times than not and you rely on the same shitters too much. 

I played the game back in late 2015 and was disappointed that they took an amazing opportunity to implement an original version of artillery and literally threw it on the ground and took a shit on it.

Copied the same disgusting mechanic from WoT and tweaked it up a bit. In many cases, it's worse than WoT's artillery in that you could be bombed repeatedly and reliably every 15 seconds or less. Faster RoF and better accuracy are hell despite an alpha reduction.

Fortunately I spent $0 on AW and I haven't spent any money on WoT for 3 years now. I don't feel these dogshit artillery mechanics are worthy of my money. It's still nice having around a WoT rip-off as a means to motivate WG a little.

Bear with me now, I don't really mind arty as it's introduced to most players, but like so many things in AW it gets progressively less bearable as the tiers go up. At tier 4 the M109 is annoying but not exactly a doom cannon unless you go to a really open lane where it can shoot you with impunity, and the gvosdika is basically irrelevant. At tier 6 autoloader arty everywhere, the M109 just got worse kids, pack your double size repair kits and get ready to be HE'd, it's hell to deal with but technically manageable. Then you get to the tier 8 arty...really the Paladin can just fuck off, tier 8 manages to power creep out the alpha reductions that are supposed to "balance" AW's arty and it's like fighting an FV304 all over again with chunks of your HP vanishing left and right with no visible culprit except this time there's no guarantee he's anywhere nearby.

They had a good idea for Arty, but it's not so much hit or miss as it is that all arty comes across as either too effective or wholly ineffective right now.

On 2/15/2016 at 0:07 AM, TheMostComfortableTanker said:

I can't say how well it all looks from the outside like on the forums or whatever since I haven't stalked there much, but the inside is a lot more healthy.  As with WoT though, I feel a lot of the issues stem from RU.

The inside is not very healthy at all, their hiring practices alone are deranged (Poaching people from WGA or hiring WGA cast-offs specifically, and first, rather than relying on the general talent pool) let alone how they actually plan and run shit.

As for getting stuff done from WGA, I rarely have an issue, usually I get what I asked for in minutes, whether it be a code or something looked at. 

Was curious how my ping would fare on EU.  It's only 20 higher, and not only has my premium time not been running from my LoW pack, but it's actually been credited as 3x30 day manual prem boosters instead of automatically being active for 90 days, which is a nice touch.

12 hours ago, Solono said:

The inside is not very healthy at all, their hiring practices alone are deranged (Poaching people from WGA or hiring WGA cast-offs specifically, and first, rather than relying on the general talent pool) let alone how they actually plan and run shit.

As for getting stuff done from WGA, I rarely have an issue, usually I get what I asked for in minutes, whether it be a code or something looked at. 

The planning and running part has always been dodgy I hear, and they certainly made no effort to hide how they wanted to grab some people they already knew from WoT.

I understand you don't deal in the exact same stuff I do, but Peacekeeper and other unofficial stuff with My.com has easily been a better experience than stuff like Wiki or WoWS alpha.   You're a bit more deeply involved in all of these shenanigans, but My.com has at least been much kinder to me and some buddies.  I of course have my fair share of disagreements with them, but they've also not given me any reason yet to personally hate them like WG or Gaijin have.

4 hours ago, TheMostComfortableTanker said:

I understand you don't deal in the exact same stuff I do, but Peacekeeper and other unofficial stuff with My.com has easily been a better experience than stuff like Wiki or WoWS alpha.   You're a bit more deeply involved in all of these shenanigans, but My.com has at least been much kinder to me and some buddies.  I of course have my fair share of disagreements with them, but they've also not given me any reason yet to personally hate them like WG or Gaijin have.

The reason I never involved myself in the Wiki is because a lot people involved with it, on the volunteer end, were total tools, ie, yelling at WG staff who were trying to help and general unreliability. 

Sure, WG put in minimal effort but a lot of the people working on the Wiki didn't get them much reason to put a lot of effort into it. I've been telling them to pull plug on the Wiki for a while now, it's functionally redundant and has a lot of hideous errors.

WoWS Alpha was punctuated by the original producer leaving for the Austin office and one of the new ones being wholly unequipped for the work thrust upon them. It's both WG's fault for putting said people into that role and it isn't, because the original left for another job in the company. Shit happens, sadly. 

4 hours ago, Solono said:

The reason I never involved myself in the Wiki is because a lot people involved with it, on the volunteer end, were total tools, ie, yelling at WG staff who were trying to help and general unreliability. 

Sure, WG put in minimal effort but a lot of the people working on the Wiki didn't get them much reason to put a lot of effort into it. I've been telling them to pull plug on the Wiki for a while now, it's functionally redundant and has a lot of hideous errors.

WoWS Alpha was punctuated by the original producer leaving for the Austin office and one of the new ones being wholly unequipped for the work thrust upon them. It's both WG's fault for putting said people into that role and it isn't, because the original left for another job in the company. Shit happens, sadly. 

From the outside, current wiki has way less errors as the old wiki though, so atleast that improved :P

The old wiki was at lay-out wise imo perhaps a bit better, but was in terms of quality awefull. It contained many failures, especially in regards to the ``hidden`` game stuff, this made people believe all sorts of nonsens, because `look in the wiki`.

See this topic as good example (it was a link to some NA forum trash topics about rigged mm) why a bad wiki is even worse as no wiki:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/269364-alleged-unequalrigged-rng/

Random player:

That's not what the wiki says. Only accuracy is calculated according to normal distribution. Penetration and damage are just random numbers within specified limits.

Gehakte:

wiki is full of false stuff, and im 100% sure dmg and pen are NOT linear 

Random player:

You're welcome to provide the source and fix the wiki. I'd certainly appreciate it, because ATM wiki is the best source for this kind of information. 

Anyone who ever payed attention to pre 8.5 dmg rolls would immediatly see that you deal way more often 300 as 301 or 302 dmg with a 400 dmg gun (or 500 vs 498/ 499), yet this is ofc too hard to grasp, so i have to proof im right and hes trash is wrong, yeah...

The dmg spread thing got changed, when sigma got changed also shell dmg and pen spread got changed, or atleast thats what i (and others) suspected, since the mechanic for acc, dmg and penetration (with sigma and gaussian distribution) is the same, someone did even some testing). So when sigma got changed from 1.4 (?) to 1.6 (?) they also changed dmg and pen spread.

ps: and later WG themself made some tutorial thing explaining the above in depth

5 hours ago, Solono said:

I can count the number of active volunteers on one hand, the massively long list got trimmed a few months back to remove those who do nothing but yell (so far they don't even know they are off the list, nothing of value is lost).

The wiki is stagnate and is supposed to be dying off slowly from the lack of interest and support. People are never around long enough to support it long-term, but they don't stay away from it long enough to make it completely dead either so it's perpetually stuck in a state between dead and dying.with no way to make it truly dead or alive. Only way to fix this is with a lot of WG intervention which won't happen any time soon.

57 minutes ago, GehakteMolen said:

snip

The accuracy of mechanics explained on the wiki only goes as far as the accuracy of info coming from WG and the competency of the writer. I have no idea if the mechanics are accurate today or not, but people don't seem to be complaining about it and WG isn't refuting any of it, so people will take the info as being correct unless they know better (which begs the question why WG isn't stepping in to correct the wiki).

33 minutes ago, Solono said:

with the reputation the volunteers have internally, would you want to deal with it?

If it has my name plastered all over it and advertised everywhere, yes, if only to make it less of a PR joke.

Brutal honesty thread pls?

45 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Things sound bound for AW NA. Like, WoWP bad...

Waiting 3-4 minutes for a half-full match is pretty much where WoWP is at right now...

Had anywhere from 3-6 minute queues last night in tier 6 (in 2 man and 3 man platoons). At one point there were 22 tier 5's, 32 tier 6's and 20 tier 7's in queue at the same time, but a match wouldn't drop for whatever reason.

They seem to really have fucked up MM this time. The changes made it far worse and wait times have drastically increased solo and platooned. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to stand the queue times during peak time on the NA server.

How is MM 2.0 on EU?

5 minutes ago, Wolfcastles said:

Had anywhere from 3-6 minute queues last night in tier 6 (in 2 man and 3 man platoons). At one point there were 22 tier 5's, 32 tier 6's and 20 tier 7's in queue at the same time, but a match wouldn't drop for whatever reason. They seem to really have fucked up MM this time. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to stand the queue times during peak time on the NA server.

How is MM 2.0 on EU?

47 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Waiting 3-4 minutes for a half-full match is pretty much where WoWP is at right now...

They're hot fixing MM this week sometime.  

12 minutes ago, Wolfcastles said:

Had anywhere from 3-6 minute queues last night in tier 6 (in 2 man and 3 man platoons). At one point there were 22 tier 5's, 32 tier 6's and 20 tier 7's in queue at the same time, but a match wouldn't drop for whatever reason.

They seem to really have fucked up MM this time. The changes made it far worse and wait times have drastically increased solo and platooned. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to stand the queue times during peak time on the NA server.

How is MM 2.0 on EU?

No clue. I won't play AW until they fix the retarded built-in firing lag.

Last night our 2 man platoon in tier 6 prems got passed up on 3 rotations of 20+ in queue, we waited for 17 minutes for a 7v7.  I still like it better than WoT MM, you get better balance assuming there's enough players online.  

13 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Some of the stuff I've seen lately reminds me of WoWP already, and SS for some reason really reminds me of tadaaah aka the CM in charge of WoWP at launch.

Also, timezones seem to be too OP for OE/My.com when it comes to getting the timing of events right.

Pretty sick of this latest MM is all I can say. The hotfix if anything made it worse. NA has such a low population and in AW terms I am a "good player" (read that as very average) so I get teamed against the OG/Kevin/Badgr platoons all night. mainly because Mm can't find anyone else to put up against them. 

the only good thing about this is that soon I will have such a low WR I might actually show up on their teams now. The dilemma of solo playing AW.