Jump to content
Caomhanach

Suggestions for good "Learn to Play" videos

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I was wondering if people knew of good videos that demonstrate basic skills for World of Tanks. I want to create a playlist of vids to have guys in my clan look at, especially new ones coming in. We don't have strict guidelines on skill level for who joins, since we aren't a hyper competative clan, but I do feel like some basic stuff holds us back in strongholds. Also, I think watching a vid is more informative than trying to show people in team training, since they can't see what you see and vice versa. 

Specifics of what I'm looking for are:

1. Informative (duh)

2. Easily understood

3. Engaging (not looking for Ben Stein here)

4. Basic tactics, not high level strategy or tank specific game play. Basic skills that every player should know.

So, an example of a good video are Sliphantom's recent Unicum Guides to various tanks. They are engaging via entertainment and have a great structure for disseminating information. Of course, those videos are a bit more in depth than what I'm looking more.

Stuff I'm looking for are things like how to hull down, side scrape, spotting through a bush and then abusing the 15m distance mechanic, permatracking through road wheels, etc. The only videos I know of are Jingles' "How Not to Suck" vids, which go over basic armor and spotting mechanics. Then, once I put the playlist together, I can just send the link to new guys in the clan, sort a "required reading" program.

I would honestly make some myself, but I don't have the time at the moment to learn how to do video editing. Unless someone has a suggestion for an easy to learn freeware editing program? I'll also put a link in this post of the playlist once I make it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Zmk5fPdgz-0PqFmvl4vLg

Less so my more recent uploads, but I have a lot of videos up where I walk through decisions as they're going, etc

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know its not quite what you're asking for, but, if I was you, i'd direct your clan members in the direction of twitch. 
There are some streamers out there, who are very elaborate on what they are doing and why the are doing it, while playing at a super unicum level, one of the names that often pops up is Zeven (He's also sponsored by wotlabs) http://www.twitch.tv/zeven_na/profile . Thers hours upon hours of past broadcasts to watch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 13endix said:

I know its not quite what you're asking for, but, if I was you, i'd direct your clan members in the direction of twitch. 
There are some streamers out there, who are very elaborate on what they are doing and why the are doing it, while playing at a super unicum level, one of the names that often pops up is Zeven (He's also sponsored by wotlabs) http://www.twitch.tv/zeven_na/profile . Thers hours upon hours of past broadcasts to watch. 

ZevenNA has a youtube channel too, which is a very nice resource.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BatGurl has posted a lot of X3N4's replays with commentary. They might too far in terms of skill level to comprehend them well though.

 

What I think is the most useful is watching players react at crucial moments in real time. Watch some of the more descriptive players and see what kind of decisions they do. It's better because of the fact there's no cherrypicking in streaming and you'll able to see right away why it worked/didn't. 

Some players like TCAmir, Mailand and Decha are really good players that stream but close to no actual gameplay commentary unless they're platooning. Almost the big streamers focus more on core gameplay and viewer interaction. Some of them might answer your questions in chat though.

If you decide to go for videos/replays I strongly suggest that you watch sessions instead of good stray games people uploaded. Watching the entire session gives a good overview of what's needed to play at that level along both good and bad decisionmaking that you'll most likely not catch up on unless you're very focused and analytic about what's actually happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MissNurkie said:

Those are the one, fhenks! Although I have to admit @WaterWars youtube is missing a very important replay, the one on Live Oaks. :dealdog:

Do you mean that rigged 15 kills battle? :kwim:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys!

Yea, livestreaming is awesome for visual learners like me. I tend to watch Anfield, Circon, and QB, and its helped quite a bit. The problem is if you're an audio or reading/writing learner, they're not as effective. A good instructional video can cover all three.

For example, there's a guy in my clan who really struggles with sidescraping. He's seen others do it plenty of times from the perspective of his own tank, but he he has a hard time getting the angle right himself. I think a 1st person vid that really breaks down the mechanics and what angles are effective and which angles are too much, using some different tanks, would really help him to nail this skill down.

Awesome suggestions, though, I'll take a look at those youtub channels. And I completely forgot about Sir Havoc ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MissNurkie said:

Those are the one, fhenks! Although I have to admit @WaterWars youtube is missing a very important replay, the one on Live Oaks. :dealdog:

The one from this week? It is in the pipeline :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:06 AM, Caomhanach said:

For example, there's a guy in my clan who really struggles with sidescraping. He's seen others do it plenty of times from the perspective of his own tank, but he he has a hard time getting the angle right himself. I think a 1st person vid that really breaks down the mechanics and what angles are effective and which angles are too much, using some different tanks, would really help him to nail this skill down.

The best way to learn the optimum angles is in an armor inspector app.  Then go into a training room and practice until he has a feel for it.  Here's two good videos on side scraping (links to youtube).

Mechanics of sidescraping by Besneyepnu

WoT Tips #26 - Sidescraping by TheRiisingSun

Here's a video of @JunkersHiryu angling like a boss:

Junkers just do everything! (E100)

Tell him not to stress the angles too much.  I know from watching tons of unicum replays with Locastan's Compass Mod (no longer supported since ~9.9) that most unicums over-angle their tanks.  But If it reduces the chance of being penned from 100% to 33% then you're still extending the hp of your tank by 33% in the long run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2016 at 6:24 PM, boxty said:

Tell him not to stress the angles too much.  I know from watching tons of unicum replays with Locastan's Compass Mod (no longer supported since ~9.9) that most unicums over-angle their tanks.  But If it reduces the chance of being penned from 100% to 33% then you're still extending the hp of your tank by 33% in the long run.

This is what I do. I do look for optimal angles, when I can, but generally, any angling seems to be better than none, for most tanks. 

I was in a KV-1S and got tracked in the middle of a road by a KV-1. 2 of his buddies showed up. After a couple re-tracks, I burned my repair kit and moved to a corner for cover. I had 130 HP left. My allies distracted his 2 buddies, so it was me @ 130 vs. a full KV-1. I side scraped and he and I traded shots. His shots continually bounced on me, while I punched rounds through his turret. 5 shots later, I still had 130hp and he was dead. Granted, he wasn't a purple, but I know if I hadn't angled at all or poked out instead of scraping, he would have won that. 

I have no idea if my angle was optimal or not. I do know I bounced all 5 of his shots.. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest LemmingRush and Epic Games - especially second one as he posts for multiple players including TCAmir and X3N4. The latter might be

Euro (play east server NA and you mostly find Lybians/Syrians/Euro guys + SA guys anyway) meta but still good for improving gameplay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016. 03. 04. at 11:36 PM, SonicAnatidae said:

This is what I do. I do look for optimal angles, when I can, but generally, any angling seems to be better than none, for most tanks. 

I was in a KV-1S and got tracked in the middle of a road by a KV-1. 2 of his buddies showed up. After a couple re-tracks, I burned my repair kit and moved to a corner for cover. I had 130 HP left. My allies distracted his 2 buddies, so it was me @ 130 vs. a full KV-1. I side scraped and he and I traded shots. His shots continually bounced on me, while I punched rounds through his turret. 5 shots later, I still had 130hp and he was dead. Granted, he wasn't a purple, but I know if I hadn't angled at all or poked out instead of scraping, he would have won that. 

I have no idea if my angle was optimal or not. I do know I bounced all 5 of his shots.. :)

Plus, in tiers like tier V, the penetration values of the tanks you are facing is generally low enough for you to get away with a bit of over-angling. It's only when HEAT normalization and increasing pen comes into play in higher tiers that one has to pay close attention to how they angle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2016 at 8:46 AM, lt_lolcat said:

 4TankersAndDog for his map and scouting guides-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0JAcvt-Q5GSoSMr8NIOS4A

 

 

Awesome! I used to love scouting until they nerfed passive scouting into the ground. Now I feel like my lights are usually just bad mediums. I'll take a look at his vids, hopefully I can get back light tank mojo back.

Thanks for all the links, guys. I think SirHavoc primarily has all that I was looking for, and he already has his vids broken down into sensible playlists.

For those who haven't seen his awesome vids yet, Starshield has a quick StratSketch segment at the beginning of his vids where he outlines his strategies and thought process for the opening stages of the match, and generally explains his decisions as the match progresses. The FCM 50t vid on Lakeville is a good example. The strats he lays down I think are pretty common knowledge for folks who are good at the game, but for someone new to the game, or someone who's bad/average at positioning/flexing, its pretty useful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...