Sign in to follow this  
PrivateBert

Mogami related discussion

So, I will soon finish the Moyoko and as I plan to get a Zao, Mogami will be the next ship I purchase.

Now whereever I look, people say one should stick with the 6" guns on the Mogami. This seems really odd to me, because in my book, the high caliber shells define the IJN cruiser line and make it what it is.

I like the 8" guns, starting with the Furutaka. So I really want to play the Mogami with the bigger guns.

Is it dumb to do so?

The utility of 8" guns is far better imo, longer range citadels on cruisers, and higher% fire chance, as well as more damage per hit on average is rather important. 6" guns are outclassed completely at tier 8 (see: Mikhail, apparently needs smoke to be competitive at tier 8 ). 

On the other hand... 155mm guns are more suitable to hunt DDs and if you have the AFT skill you 'll get longer range.

Don't forget that Myoko has better rpm and range than Mogami's 203mm guns.

It's a strange artefact of the switch in tiers they went through back in beta. It used to be that the Mogami 8" was very viable at T7 but they were never buffed to T8 standard, while the 6" guns were always a bit OP for T7 but fit in fine at T8.

Not sure about this: Hull A gives you lower spotting range after firing when compared to C hull, difference is about 2km

So, you also advise to use the 6" guns? .

I 'd advise to try them both and keep the one that suits better to you.

The 8 inch guns on the Mogami has shorter range and slower rate of fire than the myoko. The devs in a fit of lazyness did not change any of the ship stats when they swapped tiers with the  Myoko for Mogami.  Hit points are the same on both ships. With captains skills the 6 inch guns have 10 percent longer range and more than 50 percent greater ROF. If crunch the numbers, you have 50 percent more guns and 50+ percent greater ROF, so the real fire chance will be higher with the 6 inch guns. 

Myoko is a better ship with the 8 inch guns and a tier lower. 

If you want to use 8 inch guns, then Mogami is a straight up downgrade compared to Myoko. At least on most statistics.

13 minutes ago, PrivateBert said:

Well, I have 1.5 Million xp which I can convert...

I would save the exp and try both guns out as an above poster said. (Save to get a T10)

I don't understand the logic for the IJN CA line. The T9 CA has 100 less HP than the T7 or T8 CA. Lower ROF than the T7. The only upgrade is it has higher damage torps. The damage on the 8" guns are the same for all 3 CA's.

Well they are the same guns, so I understand that they have the same damage. And the damage is ok, really good in fact.

But lower ROF? Does not compute.

Myoko is 4.3 rounds per minute. Mogami is 4 rounds per minute and the T9 is 4 rounds per minute. I don't remember at what tier you get the Rate of fire upgrade or if you do. 

1 hour ago, Kostis_Larsson said:

Not sure about this: Hull A gives you lower spotting range after firing when compared to C hull, difference is about 2km

Checked, proof is in the pictures.

Spoiler

KJ2wrv8.jpg

j4Uxbv1.jpg

Hulls B and C have the same stats.

A hull without [level 5] skill: 15,1+ km for stealth firing.

A hull with skill: 13,3+ km.

B + C hull without skill: 16,5+ km

B + C hull with skill: 14,5+ km.

Myoukou used to have 5 RPM, before they nerfed it.  One underestimated improvement you get from myoukou to the higher tiers is improved concealment, and it's not negligible at all.  Mogami with the 6.1" is a really good ship.  There is no shortage of damage, it's a matter of staying alive, and you have the tools to do so on the ship.

I have a few battles with the mogami and doing ok with it (it's my highest avg dmg CA). From my point of view, the 6 inch guns are way better than the 8 inch. The ROF is compensating for the lack of raw power, especially against DDs... and CAs with AP at close range. the higher numbers of guns also allows for more devastating salvoes against CAs (i think i had an 8 citadels salvo against an ibuki once, close range of course). Against BBs, it's HE Spam between 10 to 15 km range (and usually having 6-7k dmg salvoes) and trying to survive because BBs at that range and tier.... AP salvoes can also be effective at close range but by then they usually wreck you.

You can use it to invisifre but i think it isn't very effective at these kind of range (i use the C hull without the skill). If i had the skill, i'll invisfire (1 point to go ;)) as it is at a range where i am effective (not so much at 15km+).

So after I have played this ship for a bit I want to make some more statements :)

I tried the 203mm guns, because I normally like those more than the derpy 155mm spam cannons.

But...I got Ocean. I was dead as soon as I was in firing range of course. I tried to shoot AP at broadside cruisers and managed to do so. But...I did no damage, no citadels and very poor damage. Does not compute. What would have been citadel shots with an Aoba or Myoko did nothing.  The 203mm seem to be pure garbage.

So I agree that the small caliber guns are the way to go on this ship. But they are very unreliable. Some salvos you do 6k to a BB, the next salvo 400.

I hope to finish it soon, don't like it. Hopefully the 203mm guns will be more useful on the Ibuki. Will sell the Mogami and not keep it.

7 hours ago, PrivateBert said:

But...I got Ocean. I was dead as soon as I was in firing range of course. I tried to shoot AP at broadside cruisers and managed to do so. But...I did no damage, no citadels and very poor damage. Does not compute. What would have been citadel shots with an Aoba or Myoko did nothing.  The 203mm seem to be pure garbage.

It's identical to the 203mm AP on the Aoba, Myoko, Atago and Ibuki. Probably just a run of bad luck. That's citadels for you.

Ok, thanks. Really bad luck then. Still...the range is much too low, have to stick with the small caliber.

I still don't understand how it makes sense that the small caliber guns shoot so much farther. T4 ships have more range than that.

3 minutes ago, PrivateBert said:

I still don't understand how it makes sense that the small caliber guns shoot so much farther.

Well, they'll probably have the same range after the next patch, as AFT is getting nerfed barring a cave-in. The traverse on the 155s will also be unusable due to the Expert Marksman nerf, so the 203s will be the norm and the ship will be an inferior Atago.

IRL the 203s had ~18% longer max range despite having less elevation.

10 hours ago, PrivateBert said:

.... What would have been citadel shots with an Aoba or Myoko did nothing.  The 203mm seem to be pure garbage....

Not sure about this... BUT i believe that when they moved Mogami to tier 8 they forgot to change the penetration values of AP shells.