mort_CZ

Need advice on h2p Lorr. 40t

So, it all began one lovely sunday morning when I realised that I have enough free experience to unlock the top gun on my Lorraine (havent payed it stock because I was too scared, Ive heard enough horror stories about it:disco:) and so I did it. I had bit of a temptation to play my shiny new tank with convenient new gun.

First few games were not that bad, even though I didnt have absolutely any idea on how to play it, I didnt suck that muchn in it. But like 10 battles passed and I felt the ultimate feeling of frustration and confusion. As soon as I got spotted, everyone started swinging ther guns around and shooting the crap out of me:nmad:. And they couldnt miss since it is big as barn. Okay, maybe I was at bad place at bad time. So I gave it another try, this time there were like 3 spgs on enemy team. You know whats coming, right:awyeah:? As soon as I was lit up, bam. Dead.

It was happening to me all the time at any given time. Just so much focus. I thought that I could at least somewhat abuse my camo rating and snipe from a bush. Nope. Camo is shit on Lorraine (from my experience). You cant hold position due to long magazine reload time when youre defenseless. You cant bounce shots due to armor made from fucking cardboard. You cant snipe due to mediocre accuracy and terribad aim time. You cant play it like a light tank because when you try to fire on the move, youre just waisting your shots.

So I need advice. I think I got a general idea on how to play it (like kill isolated targets, finish off low hp enemies, support heavies etc.) and I had some pretty nice games in it, but like 2/3 games I end up surrounded without exit route, reloading and in fact dead. Or I just get rushed by bunch of enemy mediums and lights. Any advice is welcome:popcorn:.

Also, sorry for my english, its not my native language.

Just now, Shackram said:

About two years old but possibly still relevant.

I believe it got its gun handling buffed to not completely ebola levels a little while ago

that thread should still be about right though

Just finished my grind on it. Not a good player by any stretch (1.9k avg damage) but I can share my experience. I found it more enjoyable than the 50100 by the way. The maneuverability and gun handling is just cancer on the 50100. 

Everybody has a hard-on for you. Everybody. You can use this to your advantage and just unload into T9/10s who will just shoot-out with you for no reason except you are a sure pen. I count it a good game if some retard allows you to clip him. 

On the other hand, you've got to live with arty following you and TDs saving their shots for you.

Don't rely on the camo to snipe. On some maps you can use your allies to spot for you and you won't be lighted. Also use your camo and speed to flex.

Don't waste your hp early game. I always make the mistake of trying to dump an early clip and losing more than half my HP for it. Then I won't have enough HP to last into the late game when it's so important to trade 1-2 shots for a kill. If you want to farm DPG/wn8 you must survive no matter what. I find generally I tend to win more when my game crashes and I come back in to clean up. lol

2 hours ago, DoggieKruger said:

Just finished my grind on it. Not a good player by any stretch (1.9k avg damage) but I can share my experience. I found it more enjoyable than the 50100 by the way. The maneuverability and gun handling is just cancer on the 50100. 

Everybody has a hard-on for you. Everybody. You can use this to your advantage and just unload into T9/10s who will just shoot-out with you for no reason except you are a sure pen. I count it a good game if some retard allows you to clip him. 

On the other hand, you've got to live with arty following you and TDs saving their shots for you.

Don't rely on the camo to snipe. On some maps you can use your allies to spot for you and you won't be lighted. Also use your camo and speed to flex.

Don't waste your hp early game. I always make the mistake of trying to dump an early clip and losing more than half my HP for it. Then I won't have enough HP to last into the late game when it's so important to trade 1-2 shots for a kill. If you want to farm DPG/wn8 you must survive no matter what. I find generally I tend to win more when my game crashes and I come back in to clean up. lol

Thanks for this, its realy helpful. Ill try it when I get home from school. But one more question, how you deal with yoloing enemies? Since it happened to me few times. They just rush me no matter the cost and then die.

19 minutes ago, mort_CZ said:

Thanks for this, its realy helpful. Ill try it when I get home from school. But one more question, how you deal with yoloing enemies? Since it happened to me few times. They just rush me no matter the cost and then die.

If you're on the second line you shouldn't be getting yolo'd.  If they are, you should thank them for throwing their tank away and helping your team win.  You should always have help around, and if you don't, you have the speed to relocate.

What ^ said.

If you get yolo'd and there are no camping pubbies to shoot their stupid pubbies then you've overextended.

It happened to me for like the first 100 games too. I became a bit smarter afterwards. Can't cure the tomato in me fully though.

Some maps are made for sniping. Westfield, Murovanka and Live Oaks come to mind. They are the ez mode from the 1390 onwards.

As for Karelia and Tundra, it's either hill yolo or back to garage for me. Airfield kind of fits the bill.

Ensk, Pilsen, Kharkov and Stalingrad. Open/City maps are the real test of skill for the french LT line. Could never consistently win them. 

I played 50 100 but not lorraine 40t. Looks like you know the basic playstyle, but be more aware of your surroundings and look at your map. Look at the enemy hp and your teams hp and decide when or when not to run away. Be with your allies and support them obviously, but don't be afraid to tell your front line tanks to use their armor and HP because it is their purpose of being up there. It's got a long reload too, so try to be near somewhere safe and use the "reloading" command every single time you're reloading the mag so that your team will realize they need to protect you. Assuming that they're smart of course lol. Don't be afraid to be passive, every time I face against 6 tanks and one of them is a lorraine 40t I shoot the lorraine 40t. It gets focused on more than most tier 9 tanks in the game. As for the 3 spgs, it's pretty much moving around like a drunk driver to dodge rain rip :brokenheart:

6 hours ago, Golem501 said:

Try to go for tracking damage shots...

I like the lorraine more than the 50 100 (let's not discuss the 50 120).

This is basic for all DPM/autoloaders. Should be quoted for posterity. Track stupid pubbies who crest over a hill and press F to pay respects after you're done.

3 hours ago, DoggieKruger said:

This is basic for all DPM/autoloaders. Should be quoted for posterity. Track stupid pubbies who crest over a hill and press F to pay respects after you're done.

Am I the only one who thought permatracking was a word? :awyeah:

Thank you for all your tips and advices. Played it today and it has got quite better, unless I was on Himmelsdorf encounter, where I was completely useless. So I need to be realy careful in early-game, take opportunistic shots and snipe from distance, maybe clip someone if Im sure that I wont get return fire or more than one damaging shot in general. In mid to late game I should look for isolated targets n clip em all:QBFlip:, maybe try to go for arty kill. But always try to track them so they are an easy target. I think it might not be that horrible after all...

12 hours ago, Draconis256 said:

Am I the only one who thought permatracking was a word? :awyeah:

It's not?

11 hours ago, mort_CZ said:

Thank you for all your tips and advices. Played it today and it has got quite better, unless I was on Himmelsdorf encounter, where I was completely useless. So I need to be realy careful in early-game, take opportunistic shots and snipe from distance, maybe clip someone if Im sure that I wont get return fire or more than one damaging shot in general. In mid to late game I should look for isolated targets n clip em all:QBFlip:, maybe try to go for arty kill. But always try to track them so they are an easy target. I think it might not be that horrible after all...

Going hill sucks because you get focussed... going down to snipe up to the hill sucks because aim time... It does depend a bit on what is going where and tier spread though but these are the best options I think.